Interest Check: Voyager-esque travellers

Started by Astalinnon, May 01, 2008, 03:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Astalinnon

I had an idea earlier about a small group of adventurers transported somewhere far away, in either a fantasy or a sci-fi setting. Would be either about a few people who through some freak accident found themselves on the other side of a portal or wormhole, and must embark on a long journey to return to their homes.

The way I had imagined it, it would a small group, maybe of 4 or 5 people, all from different walks of life, who would go from place to place involved in not only heroic, but also some seedy and even sexy adventures and quests on their way home. Depending on whether people wanted to go fantasy or sci-fi, I was thinking something tonally along the lines of either a slightly more outlandish Firefly or... well, a D&D equivalent. Could be fun, anything from romance between characters to a non-con by another hostile race and anything in between.

I think it would work pretty well, would have a small core of people and would have the opportunity for many people to act as either special guests for a little while or might stick around longer for more permanent roles, would fully allow for a flexible, changeable cast for hopefully a long lasting group.

Flexibility would be the key word for this game, and for right now, I just want to see if anyone else would even be interested.

RedEve

Sounds good to me. I'd have a preference for a sci-fi setting. What Sci-fi universe did you have in mind for this?
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Astalinnon

Hadn't really pinned one down yet, like I say I do love the Serenity/Firefly setting, and a less science-mumbo-jumbo version of Star Trek would be fun as well. Hell, might even write up a new universe just to use that one. Like I say, depends on what people want to play really.

Elvi

I seem to remember waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy back, a nice little sci-fi game we had together?
Great fun, I'm interested...
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Astalinnon

Hah, heres hoping that this game is longer lasting and at least half as good as the old one.

Either of you two have a preference on universe or what type of character you'd be playing?

RedEve

Would there be humans and other races in your original universe?

Astalinnon

Probably wouldn't call them humans, but for all intents and purposes, they would be. And there would be other races, since I think part of the fun of being halfway across the galaxy would be encountering other, unknown and unusual life.

Praxis

I'm in and up for anything.

Well..."anything" excluding getting gang-banged by a group of tentacle-monster-space-pirates.

I hate those guys...

Consider me one of your five if this takes off and I can wordsmith up a character to contribute to the adventure.

Could it be possible that the five of us are contemporary people from Earth, flung into a crazy part of the universe and forced to adapt and survive over time?

Or are you looking for something where the characters are more "space/universe savvy"?

jisko888

Quote from: Ender on May 01, 2008, 06:15:57 PM
Could it be possible that the five of us are contemporary people from Earth, flung into a crazy part of the universe and forced to adapt and survive over time?

Sounds like Farscape, which was a great show. I like the idea too.

I'm interested if you're not already full up.

Elvi

Quote from: Astalinnon on May 01, 2008, 04:42:22 AM
Hah, heres hoping that this game is longer lasting and at least half as good as the old one.

Either of you two have a preference on universe or what type of character you'd be playing?

You need to ask me what type of character?
*blinks*
meek, mild and very submissive of course....*grins*

Astalinnon

Contemporary people being thrown into madness works out fine, just as long as the spirit of being far away in an unknown part of space remains. Everyone's accepted so far, would fill up the five slots pretty well, but its not as if I'm not taking applications from anyone else for either guest or permanent member =D. I'm writing up a backbone to the story and should have it up by later tonight, so for now I guess just figure the type of character you want to play and leave out the specifics.

And of course, Elvi, I figured a quiet, innocent, virgin maid would be the character you'd most like to play, ain't that right?

Elvi

Yes..that's right Ast.....quiet as a mouse...

(And as an aside, Strangely has just looked over my shoulder and has said,"OH...he's aged a bit hasn't he, put a bit of weight on too and I'm not sure he suits that beard....)
*wanders off chuckling*

Astalinnon

Haha, interestingly enough when I first made my account, I ran one of those "Which Celebrity Do You Look Like The Most?" programs, and it spit out that young Karl Urban picture I used for a while. Upon my return, ran another one, and now its the old Karl Urban. And I'll have you know that the beard is quite sexy, thankyouverymuch. Nice to know I am remembered though.

Just realized that just about everything that I had just written.. probably shouldn't be exposed yet and left as a surprise. Hah. Anyways, story is going to go that a small group of people get their lives interrupted by a blinding white light, then find themselves on a foreign world with only corpses ad ruins of an alien race and a single operational space craft. Characters do not need to have any pre-existing piloting or engineering skills, people will find this ship mysteriously easy to pilot, each person finding themselves completely familiar with one aspect of ship operations, something they cannot explain.

Start it at that, if you would be so kind as to make a few characters, I'll try to get a game up just a bit later and we might be able to start with some intros relatively soon.

I suppose we are going to need the standard roles... Engineer, Tactical Officer, Pilot, Medic, etc etc, Just post what you want to play and we should be good to go soon.

RedEve

Would those people have assumed those roles before they were transported to this new world, or would they just "fall into" the roles once they arrive there?

Astalinnon

Sort of fell in, right up until the mysterious flash of light, these were just regular people, with mundane jobs and everything. The arrival triggers the change.

RedEve

So they shouldn't necessarily have jobs that make them ideal shoe-ins for their new functions on the spacecraft then?

Valerian

Okay, I've been trying to resist, but it's no good.  I always love the ordinary people thrown into bizarre situations kind of stories... Still room for a regular character?  Otherwise, I'd like to throw my hat in for the first 'guest star' role.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Praxis

Dibs on being the pilot.

Or the "guy that gets to have sex with all the hot alien chicks".

I'd prefer the former but I'll take the latter to "help" out the team.

jisko888

I'll take Engineer.

Or tactical officer, always fun. But maybe thats just because I always thought Worf was awesome.

Astalinnon

RedEve: You're correct, a character could have been a teacher before but a engineer now, people do not need to be groomed for their position.

Valerian: I'll accept you only if you have an interesting character  ;D. But it would even out the crew, so you're in as a regular if you're up for it.

Just put up the first planning topic at https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=14754.msg589313#msg589313 and will have the first real topic up real soon. Feel free to post your characters there and PM me with any issues or anything.

Elvi

Astalinnon

First thread is up, won't be taking off until we get the whole crew up and running, but intros can certainly start for now, check the character thread's first post, if you're on the "Active Characters" list, then you are cleared to play the game.

First IC thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=14776.0

Astalinnon

Need one more for the standard crew, as our security officer just dropped out. Was hoping to keep the 3:3 balance of men to women on the crew so if there is another woman who would like to join, you'd be more than welcome to be part of the crew. You wouldn't have to be the security officer per se, just anything you think would fit well on a ship lightyears away from human civilization.

OOC topic with character list is found here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=14754.0

Elvi

We could definitely do with a envoy/diplomatic type.....*smiles*

Max

Quote from: Astalinnon on May 01, 2008, 04:42:22 AM

Just wondering if that was my game?  Had some ideas I wanted to use, alas, the game fell apart.  *sighs*

Might be interested in joining in, whenever some guest stars are allowed in.
"Are you into whips and chains too?"
"No, chainsaws."  (just kidding)

Ons and offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4738.new#new