Is Flash more safe to use now?

Started by AmberStarfire, September 16, 2015, 03:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmberStarfire

I was one of the people who got rid of Flash from my computer when it was said to be compromised, and I'm just wondering if that's changed.

I need to use it for the Createspace cover creator (it won't open without Flash).

jouzinka

My thoughts also. Some things just won't run without it. :-(
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Vekseid

It was never safe.

My general recommendation is that if you use it, pick up something like flashblock or whatever so you only end up running it on trusted sites.

AmberStarfire

Okay, thanks. I'll look into Flashblock because I would like to keep it, but hopefully minimise the risks.

Oniya

I stopped using Flash for a long time.  The other day, I missed playing my escape games, and found that most of them (especially the 'Escape Man' series) would not load without Flash.  I was able to get to my 'go-to' clearinghouse for the latest games, but none of the games themselves would run.  So, I grudgingly reinstalled Flash.  The ironic thing is - now I'm able to get to the games if I go to their individual home sites (like no1game), but the go-to site with its forums and walkthroughs puts me in an endless sequence of 'A script on this page has stopped responding'.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

AmberStarfire

Quote from: Oniya on September 16, 2015, 01:28:30 PM
I stopped using Flash for a long time.  The other day, I missed playing my escape games, and found that most of them (especially the 'Escape Man' series) would not load without Flash.  I was able to get to my 'go-to' clearinghouse for the latest games, but none of the games themselves would run.  So, I grudgingly reinstalled Flash.  The ironic thing is - now I'm able to get to the games if I go to their individual home sites (like no1game), but the go-to site with its forums and walkthroughs puts me in an endless sequence of 'A script on this page has stopped responding'.

Maybe there's something wrong with the copy you installed or with their page, so that it triggers an error in Flash? You could try reinstalling it and see if it solves the problem. I used to get those problems with Youtube when my version of Flash became outdated (several times), but once I updated the problem corrected itself.

Oniya

My suspicion is that it is poorly-written Flash-based advertisements, based on some of the error messages (I'm not willing to lock up my browser to verify, but I'm pretty sure I saw 'adsense' in there.)  It was a perfectly clean and up-to-date Flash install, thanks to my previous nuking.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17