The Darkness

Started by lilhobbit37, September 01, 2011, 05:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lilhobbit37

This is a piece I wrote after reading a short blurb I wrote on a napkin on a bus on my way home from work one night. I took that and wrote a little story to go with it.

The Darkness

The darkness engulfed her. The shadows reached out and swallowed her slowly, piece by piece. Soon all that showed were the tears that glinted in the starlight. She welcomed the dark. Here she could hide the pain, the sadness which had slowly consumed her very being. In this darkness, no one knew the suffering she was going through. Julie could cry alone.
   On the other side of the fence, a girl sat, watching through a small hole. She sighed silently, saddened by the growing darkness, not outside, but in her neighbors eyes. Soon it was too dark and she could no longer watch. She quietly went inside to sleep. She wondered how long before Julie would be fully consumed, with no light left to guide her.
   An owl hooted in the distance, startling Julie. Standing, she looked off into the dark, her eyes adjusting to the lengthening shadows. Reaching up, she wiped the tears that were flowing down her face. Turning she walked inside her house.
   She walked inside, feeling the stale air clog her nostrils. Flopping down on her bed, she again began to contemplate all that she had ever known. The same thoughts ran through her mind as every time before. What am I? Who am I? Are they right? Again all she could do was stare at the ceiling and try not to let the pain take over. There could be nothing worse than the doubt of her self. The doubt of what and who she was. The feeling that she was rotten to the core.
Julie lifted her chin in defiance. A spark came into her eyes, which had long been vacant. Sitting up, she strode to the window and whispered, “As the night is my witness, I will be more than they ever thought I could be. I am what I wish to be, and I will grow into someone they envy. I am my maker, and tonight I pledge to make myself into something more. Something real. Something I can be proud of.” After that statement, she laid down. Sleep came easy that night, the first night in a long time.