What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

I caved to boredom and decided to channel some of my gaming enthusiasm into something somewhat productive. I never done this before, so opinions or advice is greatly appreciated.

Behold, Sabby's Rant Blog!

Oniya

Quote from: Wolfy on September 02, 2010, 12:15:22 AM
*Gasp!* Gaming Blasphemy! o3o

Pfft.  People were saying that to me when I told them that I'd never seen FF VII, much less decided to play it.  I'll pencil them into the 'search bargain bins' list, 'kay?

;)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Wolfy

Quote from: Oniya on September 02, 2010, 12:50:44 AM
Pfft.  People were saying that to me when I told them that I'd never seen FF VII, much less decided to play it.  I'll pencil them into the 'search bargain bins' list, 'kay?

;)

*gasp!* Gaming Blasphemy again!..The Castlevania series is one to pay full price for! o3o Well..except the 3D ones. Those suck..hopefully the new one that's being done by Kojima Productions won't, though.

Oniya

You do realize that absolutely nothing for the PS1 and a large number of the older PS2 games are no longer available anywhere but bargain bins, right?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Wolfy

Quote from: Oniya on September 02, 2010, 02:25:24 AM
You do realize that absolutely nothing for the PS1 and a large number of the older PS2 games are no longer available anywhere but bargain bins, right?

D: Blasphemy! We must right this wrong!

Soran

I'm playing the wotsit out of Red Dead Redemption. I've been playing it for a few days...my review...it's awesome! The graphics are pretty good, although would have benefited from a higher resolution, there is the odd graphical glitch, but the gameplay, the story and all the quick time mini missions that come up make this a primo game to enjoy.

Also bought Empire total war, although not yet installed. Was going to order it from steam, until I noticed Amazon were selling it at half the price. Since the version on steam was 1.6, I'm really hoping all the bugs and glitches were ironed out. May get the extra content...I'll see how the main game plays first.

Dunnuck

Revisiting Halo 3. Put 50 down to Halo: Reach (Legendary)

Sabby

Right now? Metroid: Zero Mission, Astro Boy: Omega Factor, Golden Sun, all on GBA.

Tomorrow? Bayonetta, Mafia 2, Arkham Asylum, Dead to Rights: Retribution.

Tuesday? Halo: Reach and Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions.

Wolfy

Hmm...Mafia 2 has some interesting 'collectibles'..:P

Sabby

Hemingway

Guys! Guys! The Witcher 2! It's coming!

... but not yet. What to do until then? Or at least until Rocktober?

Juicy

PSOBB! Trying to get some of my nooby friends into it so I don't have to play alone, though.

Wolfy

Guys, Guys!..Guess what game I'm getting next year?

Duke Nukem Forever.

Juuuust because. *shrugs*

Sabby

I'm playing Reach!! =D It is obscenely awesome.

My biggest complaint with Halo is that the graphics kept getting prettier and detracting from 'intensity' as in, explosions became insanely sparkly and pretty, but really lost their 'oomph!' Look at the Hunter's. You saw they Fuel Rod Cannon charge, you got behind something solid like it was a twicth reflex, because of how violent the explosion was, and how the screen shook. And a near miss was nerve wracking sometimes, because of how fast it moved, and the streak of sparks it left, then the crack behind ya as it detonates.

Then Halo 2 and 3 rolled around and it became a pretty laser beam that would caress up against you and sap your health until you just fell over :/

Well with Reach, NOTHING is that whimpy anymore. Ya know the turrets that hang under dropships? Remember how they used to splash you with hissing plasma? Yeah, that's gone, now every shot it fires is like the Halo 1 Fuel Rod Cannon.

The Hunter's have their old guns back, too. I am just SO happy to see they made the animations how they use to be... screen shaking, visor shattering, violent explosions that will force your self preservation instinct to take the wheel.

Yes, I am a Halo geek >.<

Brandon

As most people know Ive never been a big halo fan. Its nice to hear they got back to their roots though. Halo 1 was IMO the most fluid of all the games. While 2 and 3 added some interesting options and weapons I always felt that the sacrificed smooth and balanced gameplay for that. If Halo's gone back to its roots then I have much more hope for it, perhaps it wont be a generic sci-fi FPS this time  ;D
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Sabby

Generic? Well, I can't say. If you find the idea of power armoured super soldiers fighting aliens with brightly coloured lasers, then yes, it's a little generic, but remember that Chief isn't here. Your entire team have faces, voices, personalities...

You may like it Brandon. Story isn't fantastic, but it works, there's plenty of throw backs to Halo 1 in the level design, the enemies seem a lot smarter, (flanking you more aggressively, even hopping rooves, always trying to shake your aim off them, retreating when their shields clunk out) there's a few new guns, all of them have been redesigned, all of the weapons effects have been redesigned (explosions, the aforementioned new dropships and the old style Hunters) the graphics in general are far better.

The entire package just shines from time spent polishing. It's easily the best Halo game, no contest. I can't think of a better way for the series to end.

Oh, and take my advice. Play on Heroic.

Nyarly

Quote from: Wolfy on September 07, 2010, 07:57:47 AM
Guys, Guys!..Guess what game I'm getting next year?

Duke Nukem Forever.

Juuuust because. *shrugs*
I get this one too. Together with Fallout: Van Buren and Starcraft Ghost.

Hemingway

I wouldn't expect a fantastic story from a Halo game ( although Halo 3 was quite awesome, especially the Cortana sub-plot which I am utterly convinced is romantic ). But if Reach is anything like ODST, they can forget about my money. ODST sucked. Especially the story structure. "Let's have a faceless, nameless, boring character navigate a city that is essentially a really elaborate level select screen." Yeah? Whoever came up with that .. well, I hope they're out of work. Come on.

But! I thought Reach wasn't coming out until next week? I'll probably end up getting it, as there are no other games coming in September, that I want.

Lady Annabelle

I can't stop playing Mario Golf for the N64.

It's funny cause I'll do terrible, but I'll get one good run in and that will drive me to play just one more where I get slaughtered.  The game is hard and incredibly unforgiving, but I just can't put it down.

I have no idea why either because the game is not in my normal rotation...
All About Me  Where Am I?  Pixi's Twin  Miss Marguerite's Wife **True Girl Gamer**

"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; But if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it." ~ Emily Bronte

"My heart beat so hard when I was near him, I feared he could hear my secret longing for him." ~ Destiny Vaestus

Inkidu

Actually, in my view of things. Halo has this wonderfully scoped universe (see Halo Bible) that they do so much with and honestly it would be much better if Halo wasn't a video game. As a video game it's not original, it's good but it's technically sound nothing grabs you. If it had been a movie, comic, book series Halo would be so much more enjoyable but a great universe in a standard FPS mold doesn't appeal to me.

Playing Dead Space, this time on Impossible for the last achievement. It's so hard... even with my windfall. I somehow managed to get a military suit. Now having a full inventory and 30% less damage is nice but I've died at least twenty times and I'm just now halfway through the game. I'm terrified. Dead Space manages to scare me no matter how many times I've played it. It has the mechanics of an action game and the horror of the best of 'em. Thank you Visceral (Formally EA Redwood).
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

Quote from: Nyarly on September 07, 2010, 09:21:11 AM
I get this one too. Together with Fallout: Van Buren and Starcraft Ghost.

*whacks Nyarly*

Guess what?

Duke is back. For reals this time.

SO NYAH! *steals Nyarly's food and runs*

Wolfy

Also..I'm playing Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions..and I'm glad that I rented it, because it's going by terribly quickly.

Glad I didn't pay full price for it..but still a good game.

Sabby

Uhg... Shattered Dimensions is an insult to the series. "HEY! Here's an idea! Let's make the thing a fighting platformer game and completely take away the freeform web swinging!" "But that would just be Web of Shadows meets God of War..." "I know, right!"

Another good game series succumbs to stagnation and crowd following...

Craz

Good game series? Eh...Personally, I only liked Spider-Man 2. Everything else just failed to capture the series's feel for me.

Brandon

I gotta agree with you Sabby, a Spider man game without web swinging is like an FPS without guns
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play