Gaming with Non-Gamers.

Started by Sabby, September 15, 2010, 10:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Have you ever been playing a game around someone, or a group, who have never encountered anything more advanced then Pac-Man? I've found this to be very fun, especially when that person or persons show some kind of interest and ask questions :)

Two instances I remember being very fun...

The first was playing Bioshock with my mums friend in the room. It was the opening level, so she saw most of that, and asked after the story. Well... explaining Bioshocks plot without taking up an entire day is tough, but I managed to give her the basics (as in, she had a good enough idea of why peoples faces were so messed up, why they were violent, why everything was trashed and why I could fry a person with my mind)

And then we came to the point where the Little Sister is introduced... please note that the room was dark, cool, quiet, and the game was on a big screen with good sound. I explained to her how the Little Sisters worked, and she smartly asked "If they are full of Adam, what's to stop the Splicers from just kidnapping them?" I replied "The Big Daddies" She asked what they were.

You know this scene ^^ Splicer punches Little Sister, the screen shakes as a roar shakes the walls, a massive diving suit clad monster drops down, brushes aside a few pistol shots and then impales the Splicer with it's drill, turning it on full blast and tearing it's insides up. He then grabs him by the head, and slams him into a glass window, and from our perspective, into the tv screen, leaving his broken and bloodied bodied draped over the window sill.

My mothers friend is like O.O I go "That... is a Big Daddy" It was awesome.

The second time, I was using the big TV at the Hostel where I live. Most of the people there are older then me, broke, or just crazy/criminals. I was a little unsure of bringing my Xbox out, but I kept a close watch on it. A half a dozen people were watching the game (because there didn't seem to be anything better to do for them) and I could tell by their reactions that they had never even seen a 3D game before...

I booted up Fable 2, and when a dozen Bandits jumped me, I slammed on a Level 5 Slow Time, and moved from enemy to enemy, swinging my sword and leaving them all spinning on their heels or floating in mid-air. When time resumed, they fell all at once, and I formed a Fireball in my hand, turning on my heel and hurling it at another, forming another and throwing it to my side, then charging a massive Level 5 Fireball, and throwing it at the last group, which took down 4 people in one shot.

There was silence, my character standing there, surrounded by bodies, and there was a single Bandit creeping up behind me, sword raise. One of the people in the room yelled "LOOK OUT!!" and my character casually tossed his sword into the air, and then spun on his heel, grabbing the handle and killing the Bandit in one wide, fast stroke.

The person that had yelled without realising it actually cheered.

Hemingway

I always feel awkward playing with other people present, especially if they're not into games to begin with. I get the same feeling I get when someone's reading over my shoulder.

Sabby

I've certainly had that feeling before, but I try and play better when it happens.

dready

When my brother bought an 360 our dad would watch us play games. He knows some things here and there, but doesn't understand anything past core concepts. So I introduced him to Fable 2 via playing the game for a bit and explaining the mechanics, then let him make a character and helped him through the introduction of the game.

He didn't get farther than the first bandit camp, and he asked what the point of the game was when I started playing it again. "You get to be a hero, or a villain, however you see fit." He told me that I was strange and went back to what he was doing on the computer. He was probably paying bills.

Sabby

Hahaha, it takes a non-gamer to do that xD

FreedomJazzDance

If I'm playing like a first person-shooter or something like that in front of people who aren't particular gamers I tend to get self-conscious and ultimately play worse, because I try too hard.  :-[
<.< >.>... Buuuut if it's minecraft? Hah!! I just like the confused looks on their faces!

Minecraftminecraftminecraftminecraft....

Wolfy

I have an extremely hard time 'holding back' on non-gamers...as in, completely slaughtering them. O-o

Sabby

I'm the opposite. I like to teach, so I go easy and show them how to play.

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on October 27, 2010, 08:55:14 AM
I'm the opposite. I like to teach, so I go easy and show them how to play.

I don't have the patients to teach. -_-;

Sabby

And that's why your where you are in life now =3

Craz

I used to play video games in the family living room, but after one too many "American Idol's on, scram." incidents, I stopped that. My sister's not particularly a gamer, but she enjoys watching people play, and provides a lovely peanut gallery.

Sabby

I was playing Saints Row 2 at a friends house, as an obese black woman in lycra pants and a sweater. A girl walks in and goes "OMG, is that Oprah!"

"Err... yeah. That's Oprah" "OMG cool! Like, what can she do?" ".......>.>" I walk up to a cop and do a series of kung fu kicks, sending him flipping onto the hood. Second cop gets out. I get my shotgun out and blast him back inside of the drivers seat...

"She gets shit done, that's what" "OMG YOU ARE SO HORRIBLE!"

dready

Quote from: FreedomJazzDance on October 27, 2010, 05:00:37 AM
<.< >.>... Buuuut if it's minecraft? Hah!! I just like the confused looks on their faces!

Minecraftminecraftminecraftminecraft....
*highfives*

darkninja0200

I remember when I first taught my sister to play MK on the Genesis. >< worst istake of my life... she became a master in the first minute or so of playing and constantly kicked my butt ><

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on October 27, 2010, 10:18:07 AM
And that's why your where you are in life now =3

You mean stuck here with you? :P

Obsidian Isolabella

XD I have to laugh at this topic because I am so one of those non-gamers people. I mean, I DO play games, of course, but honestly? I don't do as much as some people do. And I keep it pretty confined to what I do play.

So I find it utterly hilarious to watch myself get slaughtered by people who are constant gamers. It just makes me laugh to watch me get my ass kicked in a game now a days. XD

Inkidu

Quote from: Raven's Seduction on October 28, 2010, 09:52:40 PM
XD I have to laugh at this topic because I am so one of those non-gamers people. I mean, I DO play games, of course, but honestly? I don't do as much as some people do. And I keep it pretty confined to what I do play.

So I find it utterly hilarious to watch myself get slaughtered by people who are constant gamers. It just makes me laugh to watch me get my ass kicked in a game now a days. XD
Can you hold a gaming controller right seven times out of ten, and do you understand "Master of Unlocking" jokes?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Obsidian Isolabella

Quote from: Inkidu on October 29, 2010, 07:31:34 PM
Can you hold a gaming controller right seven times out of ten, and do you understand "Master of Unlocking" jokes?

Yes, of course I can hold a gaming controller right seven times out of ten! XD I own three games and a PS2, so that is obvious. And I believe that "Master of Unlocking" jokes refer to the original Resident Evil game, correct?

Inkidu

Quote from: Raven's Seduction on October 29, 2010, 07:44:41 PM
Yes, of course I can hold a gaming controller right seven times out of ten! XD I own three games and a PS2, so that is obvious. And I believe that "Master of Unlocking" jokes refer to the original Resident Evil game, correct?
You are therefor a gamer in every sense of the word. (That's my criteria).

You are now one of us gaming people, no more "I game" for you.  ;D
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Obsidian Isolabella

Haha! Okie dokie then. XD I didn't really realize that qualified me as a gamer then. XD

Inkidu

Quote from: Raven's Seduction on October 29, 2010, 07:54:54 PM
Haha! Okie dokie then. XD I didn't really realize that qualified me as a gamer then. XD
Odd ain't it? :)

Obsidian Isolabella

Wolfy

Quote from: Raven's Seduction on October 29, 2010, 07:44:41 PM

Phew. Good thing you got out of that. You were almost a Jill Sandwich!

Obsidian Isolabella

Obsidian Isolabella

Although, you know one thing I have to say about the Jill from the games and not the one movie was that I thought that Jill Valentine in the movie Resident Evil Apocalypse was fucking sexy as hell. The Jill from the games where she is all dressed up as like an Army girl just doesn't do it for me. >.<