Caravanserai [Events]

Started by Flower, July 27, 2018, 07:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Endogenesis

Name: Laila Røed
Date | Time: June 6th, 6 PM
Wearing:  Wearing a demure coctail dress and a mask in a similar shade
Tagging: Harry the Waiter | Open

Laila sat at the bar watching people with a detatched interest -they seemed to enjiy themselves- which was good.  And she did enjoy seeing the creativity that had gone into many of the costumes.  Paying for her drink, she offers the waiter a fleeting smile of gratitude.  She spent time wondering who these people were and what brought them here.  She did not stare though, and she was savvy enough to look away if she was caught letting her gaze linger for long.

Thinking about the secrets they had all been alotted as part of some game, she wondered what secrets people really came burdened with.  Then again, maybe they came here to let go of said things -the desert was a place to forget- and perhaps even forgive.
"And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many.”

Flower

Name: Theodore Leavenworth
Date | Time: June 6th 2020 | 6:00 PM
Wearing: Fancy Fancy with Mask
Tagging: Dark Lady/Lady Detective aka Kinsey O’Malley

Clarification came in the form of a response. She was a private investigator, not a cop. Her earlier questions made more sense now. Theodore wondered if she even did so with purpose or if doing so had become second nature. Like she had issue with separating herself from work, even on vacation.

He did not envy her job. It sounded like she dealt with a smorgasbord of crap on a daily basis.

“Sounds like you’re in the wrong profession,” Theo commented as she plucked a tiny sheet of paper from the top hat. “With insights like that, you might serve better as a counselor or therapist rather than a detective.”

Dark Lady earned a brief laugh from him at the mention of the gods being deprived of someone to blame for their troubles.

“You might be wrong there,” Theo said as he withdrew the hat away from her. “They often blame each other which is why they’re always biting at each other’s heads or taking offense to what others might get a laugh out of.” 

He was curious about the woman’s secret but not enough to question her about it. He’d leave that to the ladies and gents within the masquerade.

“Well good luck to you, Lady Detective,” he said with a smirk. “If anyone can win this secrets games, it’s you.”

Kit Cat

Name: Kinsey O’Malley
Date | Time: June 6th || 6:15pm
Wearing: As pictured with this mask.
Location: Event Hall | Masquerade Ball | Entrance moving into the main hall, and thence to the bar.
Tagging: Theo (on exit), Joseph, Becky & Laila (bar) Breezy, Khalil, Steffy, Lalita & Kati (mentioning) Open.

Smiling at Theo as he wished me good luck in the nights festivities, I gave an extravagant little bow, complete with cheeky smile, and swept off into the main room, ready to enter into the nights frivolities.

Stepping through the doorway, I took in the décor, noting how hard the staff had worked to take, what was essentially a bland, one-size-fits-all, hotel function room and turn it into a modern-day gothic masterpiece (or at least, the version that would possibly exist at a wannabe Tim Burton wedding reception). Still, the furnishings spoke of its upmarket five-star reputation, with no expense spared on items that probably cost five times more than they needed to, to cater to people who probably wouldn’t have known the difference anyway.

Unfortunately, the atmosphere seemed to be almost as dead as the famous vampire the party was no doubt in honour of, now that the drama of the fleeing Romeo and Juliette had been resolved, and my roving eye was disappointed at what I saw, as I scanned the crowd.

* Mafiosa in a gold mask on the dance floor with an elegant auburn-haired cutie in a little black dress, attempting the impossible of trying to dance romantically as the band played the 80’s classic “Like a Virgin”. (Though virgin on the ridiculous if you asked me) Check.

* Exotic looking lady in blue having her fortune taken by the lady from reception in a gypsy tent in the corner. (You will meet a big handsome stranger who will give you a secret…oh wait, been there, done that already) Check.

* Blonde in a deliciously gothic red dress slipping into the room, ready to have some fun. (She could be one to keep an eye on) Check.

* Two women and a man, sitting at a bar, waiting for a drink whilst gazing into space whilst not talking. (There’s a joke in there somewhere) Check.

Looks like what this party needs is a little Kinseying up!

Heading over to the band, writing a song request on a piece of paper as I went, I handed it over to the singer as he (all too convincingly) proclaimed he had been touched for the very first time, before turning and walking confidently to the bar. Three unoccupied people would be a good way of getting things rolling, especially when one of them—the woman in blue—had already been responsible for some actual drama tonight.

Reaching a gap in the bar between them, I slapped it in a random, yet pleasant beat, and called out to the barman to get his attention before the rest.

“Vodka on the rocks, with a champagne chaser to go with it, Hun, and whatever cocktail is good around here too!” Glancing from side to side at my new companions, I flashed a bright smile, and spoke good naturedly. “From the looks of things, these could use the same, so just line them up and keep going!”

Winking at the guy, I turned my attention to the woman in blue; thumbing in the direction of the doorway.

“You have just missed one hell of a scene, I’m telling you. One moment I’m waiting there for my secret, the next this woman almost knocks me onto my arse on her way towards the guest rooms. If that wasn’t bad enough, the golden statue from the Oscars—who has clearly escaped someone’s mantlepiece for one evening—goes rushing after her with an expression on his face that looked like he had been chewing on lemons. Some party, eh?”

Leaving that hanging in the air, noting the band striking up my song request, I clapped my hands together.

“Right then, which of you are going to let me into your secret first?”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzNFwxsSPwU

Steffy

Steffy Danielle Dubois, Adventurer
Date | Time: Evening of the Masquerade Ball
Wearing: Red Gown
Tagging: Lalita, Kinsey O’Malley

I hear snippets of conversation, mention of detective, god, goddesses, speaking in a cultured, educated way.  She heads to a bartender.  I watch, turning my head in the direction of the mysterious woman, trying to hear more conversation, get her attention.  How do I politely make it known I have detective experience and . . . well lots of stuff?  I decide for a wave, then hoping I’ve caught her eye, I point to myself and signal me too.

And I’d sort of like to try the fortune thing too.  I still pay attention to the dark detective but edge closer to the fortune teller, thinking there may be a queue effect.  Maybe I’m next.  The mask keeps things hidden which is good, but has the drawback of not being able to convey as much with it.  I wonder if Katie even recognizes me.

RedPhoenix

Name: Becky Washington
Date | Time: June 6 | 6:15 PM
Wearing: As pictured plus this mask
Tagging: JJ (mentioned), Kinsey, Joseph, OPEN!

Becky glanced up from the bar where she had just ordered another of her confidence boosting miracle potions.

She smiled at the eccentric appearance of Kinsey. She could tell at a glance she was one of those girls who had quite a lot going on upstairs, usually they had a hard time relaxing their minds enough to get pretty for a party. Not that she wasn't pretty but the outfit was so busy it almost screamed to Becky that it was the outfit of someone who'd gotten distracted a half dozen times getting dressed.

She smiled at the girl as she rambled. "Oh I didn't miss it darling, I had that statue right where I wanted him until he uh, well I'm not sure what exactly." She laughed. "But I know his secret." She said smugly, with a little smile and self-congratulating beam.

"First to tell you a secret? Try JJ." She laughed and nodded towards the bartender. "No don't it might be about me." She said quickly, "But if you want, I'll trade you your secret for Mr. Golden Statue's." She grinned as she made the offer, trying make it seem as tempting as possible.

She smiled towards Joseph who was next to her at the bar. "I'll make you the same offer Mister." She smiled at him.

"Although if any of you want me to give you what I gave him to learn his secret I'll do that too." She laughed. She was having a good time, was very relaxed, and quite enjoying herself at this party.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Endogenesis

Tagging: Kinsey|Open to anyone near the bar.

"The point of secrets are to keep them." Laila says to the elegantly dressed woman in a somewhat amused tone.  "So tell me this, why would I share mine with you?  I mean surely you offer me incentive?" sipping her glass of wine Laila finds her mind wandering again as per usual.  A game of secrets is fun for a small while, a game of sordid truths however..  She'd play along for now though, what harm could it do.  Besides this gave her access to watch whatever shenanigans the others got up to.
"And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many.”

Amaris

Name: Jesse "JJ" Johnson
Date | Time: June 6th, 6:15pm
Wearing: Mask // This outfit. The sleeves are unbuttoned and rolled up to his forearm // The black version of these heels to complete the steampunk ensemble
Tagging: Becky, Kinsey(?), OPEN

Things had become busy very quickly, and Jesse was making the drinks as quickly as possible. His eyes did stray every now and then to find his friend in blue, to see her now rocking that confidence.

There had been a slight lull in orders as Becky came back to the bar, and he let his fellow bartender handle the others that came asking for one as he made his way across from Becky to make her the fancy cocktail that he had been serving her. One that looked ever so elegant in her hand.

She was talking to another lady and he wasn't trying to be rude, but a soft low chuckle escaped his lips as he set Becky's drink down in front of her. "Clever girl." He would never thought about handing out other peoples secrets in exchange for theirs! Very smart!

When Becky mentioned getting secrets from him, he rested against the bar on his elbows and looked back and forth to both of them.

"Yes, I'm just full of secrets." He winked. None of them would be relevant of course, and he would never tell something serious that had been confided in him, but it was obvious he was being playful. He could think of a secret on the fly, surely.

The drink that the girl with the black hair piece had ordered was also set in front of her, and truthfully he probably could be preparing other things, but he deserved a bit of a break for socialization. He had been working his ass off.

His secret...

Was that his feet were killing him.

Kit Cat

Tagging: Becky, Joseph, Laila & JJ. Steffy (Mentioned) Open.

The prompting had the desired effect, and suddenly everyone was talking at once!

Our fantabulous woman in blue, who had openly admitted to striking gold, both in the secrets and gentlemanly sense, was the first to speak; wickedly offering me the secret of ‘Oscar’ in exchange for my own humble piece of ‘say no more’, but, having been used to dealing with criminals wanting to make deals, I was more than up to the task of countering such measures.

“To be honest, I think I know it already,” I shot back, without missing a beat. “Clearly a guy who dressed like that would be prone to blinging everything—including his condoms—which, given how close you admitted to getting, means you only just managed to avoid ending the night with the most awkwardly delivered vajazzle in human history! Now that would have been some secret to keep, don’t you think?”

Was that too far? Who knows. The bartender, JJ, delivered my thinking just in the nick of time, and I took a long dram of it, just to make sure and, yes, what I said was fine…maybe.

"Just the way I like it, JJ. You're surely my favourite person at this minute in time!"

The redhead down the bar spoke up, pointing out in a husky voice that secrets were meant to be kept, and asking for an incentive to keep them—clearly the two girls were thinking along the same lines, but coming at it from different angles.

“Now where’s the fun in giving the game away?” I grinned, raising my glass to them extravagantly. “After all, the thrill is in the chase, is it not—that is, if I didn’t know all your secrets already—but, don’t worry, I will endeavour to keep the mystery until the end of the evening…or until I’ve had too much to care whichever comes first!”

Pausing, I noticed a movement out of the corner of my eye, and turned curiously to find the woman in red briefly wave to me, before heading off to the fortune tellers’ tent. Maybe she wanted a drink ordering in her near future, who knows?

Turning back to where I was (in my own mind) holding court, I put the vodka down, and lifted up the champagne.

“Well, here’s to a good night, and sparing a thought for the poor woman out in the guest quarters who is either going to end up with jewels where she least expects them, or the biggest novelty golden draft excluder in the place.”

Endogenesis

Tagging: Kinsey|Open

"You could of course try to find out the secrets, have I missed something?" Laila asks in her soft voice that is easily missed.  "Is there some manner of pprize for getting most secrets?" that would add some incentive to try to gauge the presumably made-up secrets.  Fidgeting a bit with her mask she finds it slightly uncomfortable to wear.

Laila raises her glass of wine when the womans toasts to a good night, no sense in being a stick in the mud.  "Let's hope for a good evening indeed, not so sure I will learn many secrets, but perhaps a dance with someone."

RedPhoenix

Tagging: JJ, Kinsey, Joseph, Laila, OPEN!

Becky took her drink from JJ, giving the man a smile, learning from past mistakes she didn't try to wink just grinned at him with an appreciative, "Thank you, you are a lifesaver." She would have leaned across the bar and kissed him if it wasn't so big. Or she was taller. Or it wasn't so much work in general. "These drinks are just..." she couldn't find the words. She took a sip, every drink firming her resolve to get to know this bartender better on a slow night when she could have him all to herself.

Speaking of which the crowd around the bar was growing, a pretty redhead was trading words with the fast-talking blonde and Becky found herself smiling in amusement at the exchange.

"She's right." She said to the blonde. "If you want secrets you have to be willing to make deals. I'm offering a kiss and a date to anyone who gives me theirs." She said, eyes twinkling. "And I promise, both will be fantastic." She said putting all the double meaning she could into the word. She obviously wasn't any sort of professional seductress, but she was nice and nice looking and it worked well enough, she hoped. "Or alternatively I'll trade you someone else's secret for yours. Best offers you'll get anywhere, any takers?" She said to the gathered crowd.

"And no, Chris's wasn't that he bedazzled his condoms." She said, trying to be stern but giggling instead. "Although I wouldn't be surprised." She said quietly under her breath, looking to the sky innocently as she sipped her drink.

Endogenesis

Tagging: Becky|Open

Laila watches the blue-clad bebauty with interest as she talks -she was everything Laila was not- and instead of a pang of jealousy, Laila found herself admiring the womans beauty and tenacity.   A small voice in her head began taunting her, and suddenly Laila opened her mouth to speak.  "Well, a kiss for a secret sounds a most agreeable deal.  Why don't you come over and I am sure we can have an exchange."

Laila hoped her mask hid some of the pink that appeared in her cheeks.  Her heart beating a mile a minute, she places her glass of wine to the bar, afraid she'd crush.  Sweet Jesus, what had she just said outloud?  She almost does not dare to look at the woman to see her reaction, but at the same time she did  not dare look away.  She'll laugh, so laugh along...

Laila kept her blue gaze locked at Becky, not wanting to look at anything else for now -quietly thinking of an exit strategy- if that was needed, and she was rather certain it would be.

Kit Cat

Tagging: Becky (aka Bluey), Joseph, Laila (Aka Reddy) & JJ. Open.

It seemed like Bluey (as I’ll call her until I remember her name, or come up with a better nickname), emboldened by her early successes, was determined to win the prize for most secrets, whilst (Reddy—got to be a better name…try harder…more drink needed first) wasn’t even aware of the fact there was a competition going on. Better level up the playing field.

“There surely is a prize; though what prize could be better than being with such illustrious company as ourselves, wearing masks and drinking…” I glanced at the barman with a wide grin. “Ever increasingly strong cocktails, whilst listening to the dulcet tones of our resident band.”

Okay, so Kajagoogoo’s Too Shy wasn’t exactly ‘dulcet’, but they were trying, bless them…or at least very trying on the ears!

My patter was interrupted suddenly by two very bold statements, as Bluey first offered kisses and dates for secrets, and Reddy more than willingly leapt at the chance of engaging in this unusual exchange (turning her more pink, than red, admittedly). Grinning at the interplay, I sipped my drink and leant in to whisper to Bluey.

“I think you have your second taker of the evening!" I advised, conspiratorially, in case she hadn't noticed. "At this rate, you’ll have so many secrets, kisses and dates, you won’t know whether you are coming or going.”

Unable to let the opportunity for additional play go, I signalled the barman and pointed at the two girls.

“I’ll have what they are having…about to have—it looks popular.”

Glancing at them both, I grinned to myself. With any luck, that’s not all I’d get before the night was up.

Jaclyn

Name: Katrina “Käti” von Roissy
Date | Time: June 6th, a bit after 6 pm
Wearing: This ensemble and mask and Secret Identity!
Tagging: Open.
Notes: After having her fortune told.

… fresh from her fortune told and a very quick shower ant time with makeup, Käti walks into the Masquerade Ball ... oh my! .. it's full underway! ... Käti heads for the bar ... best place to see and be seen ... catches the bartender's attention …

  “Something with gin and quinine, please!”

… turns and looks for who might want to have a fun time tonight …

RedPhoenix

Tagging: JJ, Kinsey, Joseph, Laila, OPEN!

Becky smiled a rather big, friendly smile as she got the answer she probably least expected - the redhead being the one to take her up on it! But then again, Becky reminded herself, learning to understand the world as a bigger place than just her prejudices was part of why she was here after all, so far away from home. That, plus - yay I get to kiss a girl! Becky willed herself to be cool and smooth and not let on that she'd never kissed a girl like this before. Fake it 'til you make it. Sure, she was here for new experiences but the whole world didn't need to know it was new to her.

She set her drink down on the bar and walked closer to the redhead, a hand extending and running over that nice hair as she smiled at her and spoke soothingly. "I'm glad you think so. I'm Becky." She said with a soft smile, focused on Laila in a way that would make the girl think she was the only person in the room.

Her other hand slowly reached out until it was on Laila's waist, holding her steady as her right hand came down to rest on the girl's shoulder, then slid down to her waist to hold her there was well. It was gentle hold, soft, comforting, very easy to break. Becky was giving her a thousand chances to say no just in case, although the smile on her face and the sparkle in her eye made it clear she was hoping that no never came.

"Do you want it right here or do you want to give someplace a bit quieter?" Becky asked Laila, gazing into her eyes with a gentle, loving look as she spoke her soft, soothing words and moved her hands up and down her sides every so slightly, every so gently. She leaned in close enough that their bodies were almost touching and whispered in the redhead's ear, "I can't wait to learn your secret." In a seductive, breathless whisper.

Levi

Name Lalita Cheema
Date/ Time June 6th, 6pm
Wearing fortune teller dress and mask
Location Fortune tellers booth
TaggingKatrina

Lalita returned her attention to the cards. She flipped both the left and right card and frowned. They were the same card, but the left hand card was upside down."How very interesting! You see this" the woman pointed to the right side card."This is the lovers card, to have it show up as your present card. Not one but twice! This" she pointed to the left and upside down card "Indicates you have known and lost love and the other side indicates that while you will always cherish the first, there is or soon will be a more forfilling love in your life"

Finally Lalita flipped over the bottom hand card which represented the future. "The world, the opportunity to travel awaits. You should take all options that come your way, and now to find out the answer to your question!" her hand hovered above the the center card.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
This fortune is pure fiction and not to be taken seriously out of character.
A Working Progress.             Posting responses are: Slow.    Updated

Jaclyn

Name: Katrina “Käti” von Roissy
Date | Time: June 6th, 6 pm
Wearing: Blue, warm weather onesie
Tagging: Lalita Cheema, Open

… this deck has The Lovers twice? ... how does that happen‽ ... nod ... yes that too is so ... at least the past ... and soon and more fulfilling? ... wow, that would be nice! …

… below ... the foundation ... the world ... yes, no plan to settle down ... plan to always keep moving ... and jump at opportunities when presented …

… realize I'm holding my breath in anticipation of the final card …

Endogenesis

Tagging: becky|Open

Laila blushed some at the somewhat unexpected reaction -and as becky comes close enough that they could whisper to each other- Laila opted to do just that.  Her soft lips brushing Beckys earlobe -on purpose perhaps?- and she's hear some husky words.  "Not here and now, my dearest." she murmurs.  She does not reach out or even touch the other woman, instead letting her be slightly in charge.

"I am not one for public displays of affection, I hope that's fine?" she leans back enough that she can meet the other womans gaze, and unlike some, she signifies Becky by actually looking at her face while talking with her, even if it is tempting to let her eyes roam.

RedPhoenix

Tagging: Laila, OPEN!

Becky's smile grew bigger as Laila seemed shy, almost timid even as she approached. Oh Lord this girl was adorable! She continued to smile at her as if she was only other person here. It didn't hurt that her whole body had felt like it was getting goosebumps when her lips brushed against Becky's ear. Ooooh, so tingly!

"That's okay." She said gently, "I understand, it's a nice party but it's crowded huh?" She glanced about at the others with a smile and whispered to Laila again. "You wanna go now or take a rain check?" She held out her hand, palm up for Laila to place her own into if she wished to step away, but she didn't want to pressure the girl either. She was new to this too, and knew how awkward it must be, but she also really wanted to kiss this girl.

Giantmutantcrab

Name: Khalil Ag El Mokhtar
Date | Time: June 6 | 6:00 PM
Wearing: As pictured plus this mask.
Tagging: Brielle Garin, OPEN

The man could dance.

It’s not just that he had agility and was smooth in his movements. There had been actual practice there. Perhaps he had taken lessons in classical dances. But whatever the reason was, the man moved with grace and assurance. And he never moved alone. There was no reason for him to do so. He kept eye contact with Brielle, even though neither one knew one another’s name. At least… Not yet. Strangely they had learned so much of the other now… For example, she now knew that his favorite gummy bears were red.

And that they were both pretty good kissers.

AND photogenic.

When the second (or was it third) dance ended, the striped-masked man brought Lady Midnight closer to him, hands to her waist, moving a little slower and a little closer to her. Eye to eye, mask to mask. He smiled at her, warmly. ”Oh yes… That game.” It seemed to return to his memory. Clearly, the man had thought of other things. ”Well, since you have been so generous, allow me to return the favor.” He leaned a little bit closer to her. ”My name is Khalil, and we have glanced at one another before. You were parading down the main hall in a bikini this morning, just as I was checking in.” He leaned back to his full height, smiling. ”And as for the secret… You’ll figure it out soon enough, I’m sure of it.”

”But now, for the most important question of them all, Tish…” He grinned when he called her by that silly pet name, as if he was enjoying it immensely. ”...Is what would you like to do, right now? We can continue to dance… We can roam the halls in search of adventure… We can climb to the rooftop to gaze at the night sky? Imagine it, Cara Mia… He pressed his cheek to her, their held hands moving up as if he was deciphering the secrets of the skies. ”Untold numbers of stars in the heavens, like glittering diamonds upon black velvet.”

The pinstripe-suited man returned once more to his standing position before her, holding her softly, looking at her with the same ease and gentleness.

Kit Cat

Tagging: Joseph. Becky, Laila Brielle & Khalil mentioned. Open.

Already proceedings were progressing with a bit more vigour than when I had entered Anne Rice’s worst nightmare, with a potential lesbian kiss offered and hanging, the Mafiosa and auburn-haired cutie making out like Gomez and Morticia on the dance floor, and cocktails by the dozen within easy reach.

And yet still…we weren’t quite there yet.

The letting go of secrets required the participants to be off guard, relaxed (and preferably pumped full of alcohol), and though things were steadily going in that direction, we still had a long way to go. Admittedly, my real intent was to discover the true secrets and needs of the people I was sharing this hotel with, as opposed to the amusing ones found within the game of the masquerade, but before that could have a chance of happening, we needed a little more mischief added to the mix.

Noting the rather despondent gentlemen watching the girls sullenly at the bar next to me, I raised my glass in salute to him, and spoke up.

“Now there’s a man who doesn’t look like he is enjoying his evening so far,”
I observed lightly. “Surely its too early in the night to have such a dark cloud hanging over your head; especially when we have these two beauties here bartering over kisses and secrets. A penny for your thoughts; I promise I’ll give change.”

LocusVonErich

Name: Joseph Edwards
Date | Time: 6 June 2020, 6:10 PM
Wearing: As pictured plus This mask
Tagging: Kinsey O'Malley, Mentions(Becky, Laila, Alexandrena), Open

Joseph had been sitting in silence for several moments. In that time, plenty of people had made their way around and out again. Of course, he had an extra secret beyond the masquerade, but it was one that had been inferred by the event, of which, he had been the witness. At this point, he was more studying the room than anything else. Adrift in a sea of faces, as had been his default condition in every social setting of more than three people in a room.

Becky had offered out more bribes, and had made yet another bargain. Though it seemed that the woman she had made her deal with was her equal and her opposite. Both of them drowning in a world of new experiences. But, where one was trying to simply tread water, the other had decided to swim. Of course, that was yet another in a series of him inferring things, and whether or not he was right remained to be seen.

Nursing Old Fashioned No. 4, Edwards was craving the smokiness of a cigarette, and was just about to get up and walk out for one when he was suddenly addressed directly for the first time in several minutes. "Well. I have to admit, things have not gone so well for me thus far...." Joseph spoke to the newcomer, his voice in a flat monotone of boredom. "And honestly, I ain't too sure I want to sit in this room anymore." The walls had begun to close in on him slowly, inch by inch.

Kit Cat

Tagging: Joseph. Open.

Musing on the guy’s sombre expression, and dour tone, I mused on the possibility he was the victim of Cinderella leaving the bar so quickly. After all, Becky had admitted to having been tangling with ‘Oscar’, and the liquor I’d smelt on the woman as she’d run past me was suggestive of having been at the bar.

Scanning the proximity, I couldn’t see any other male in the room who was either currently unencumbered or carrying such a heavy cloud as he, so the odds were I was correct. Nothing like raw nerves to make a person open up to you…if you could find common ground, that is.

Glancing down at the drink he was nursing, as he admitted to not having enjoyed his night so far, I thought I noticed something about the fingertips to his off hand. Wondering if that was an ‘in’ I could use, I nodded in sympathy to his willingness to leave.

“With a band playing this bad, I don’t blame you for wanting to leave,” I agreed, making a mock face as I glanced back at them. “That guitarist is murdering that solo, isn’t he? There’s a guy who should have stayed playing air-guitar, and leaving the actual entertaining to someone who knows what they are doing.”

LocusVonErich

Tagging: Kinsey O'Malley, Open

"I imagine that between the luxury of the architecture, the free flowing booze, the high end Turkish cigarettes...the owners of this joint had to cut costs somewhere, I guess." If this was her attempt at trying to pry into him, she would have to do better. Sure, the band was basically low-rent...sure, if they were part of the bar crawl they'd be met with apathy at best...but at least they were trying.

The itch for a cigarette continued to gnaw at him, the walls continued their inward march. On top of that, his drink was watering down and the woman trying to converse with him seemed like a nosy body. "I'm not that interesting, ma'am. You seem to be after things, and I'm not quite sure you're interested in the games that this party has set up." His tone of voice continued to convey his absolute boredom. After all, the woman he had started playing the game with was playing in a way that guaranteed she would win, using methods that he couldn't use himself. The second person he had started playing with ran off, and he wasn't even an afterthought in that scenario...what could this one bring to the table?

Kit Cat

Tagging: Joseph. Open.

An almost shut down within a couple of minutes—almost a new record for me, but if a person didn’t preserver they’d never need antiperspirant…or something.

Best thing of a better analogy for later, in case I can use it.

Still, if the guy had been knocked back before, is it any wonder that he’d be a little defensive when somebody new came along? Sure, it wasn’t gentlemanly, but a lady always does her best to keep a conversation going.

Of course, with the absence of a lady present, I guess I would have to do.

“I’ve found that people are more interesting than they give themselves credit for,” I told him with a smile. “And though I’m down for playing the secrets game—if our young friend in the blue over there gives us half a chance, and doesn’t end up wrapping her thighs around some poor sod who tries to hold out on her—I’m just as interested in getting to know my fellow guests, and generally having a good time.”

Did that sound bitchy? Well, yeah, in a friendly kind of way. After all, we were all friends here, and friends can be lightly critical, in a humorous type of way. Its all part of the craic.

“I freely admit, this place isn’t the kind I usually find myself in, so I’m feeling out of place. I even ended up getting lost around the grounds for most of the day—which is embarrassing, and I’m only admitting because I’m wearing this brilliant mask—so just hoping to find my feet and make friends. How about you?”

LocusVonErich

Tagging: Kinsey O'Malley, Becky(mentioned), Open

"I think she's more than won the masquerade game. Who wouldn't just spill out every secret they could pull out when you've got a woman who looks like that throwing themselves at you? She nearly got me. How I didn't give up my secret, I still haven't quite figured out yet." Of course, he wasn't exactly going to admit that he had made a deal with Becky regarding such things. After all, that would just be another thing to exploit.

"All I know is...I gotta get out of here. It's suffocating in here, and I need a cigarette. You're free to do as you like." Joseph stood up, taking a moment to stabilize his wobbly legs. Ordering a glass of water, he began to look for a door, wanting to avoid going back through the way he came, not in the mood to fight through the bodies on the dance floor to make his escape.