Pathfinder wanted a new Adventure!

Started by Sabriel, June 03, 2010, 08:15:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabriel

Hello

Myself and a friend (CharlieSariel) are looking to get involved in some pathfinder fun, we would like to try out one of  the adventure paths for this game and setting. We are looking to capture and experience the old feeling of a little group playing through an adventure path in a new world for the first time together. 

Now neither of us are by no means green to the ways of D&D but we would like to start with something new and fresh and give Pathfinder a try.   

So obviously we need someone who wants to run a Pathfinder game and is willing to do an adventure path, as to what happens after or in the long run that could be anything.  We would also like to keep the group small having no more than 4-5 players, all of whom must be committed to the story.

We would ideally like to do one of the following Adventure Paths:

Rise of the Runelords
Goblin raids on the coastal town of Sandpoint presage a growing danger in the ruin-choked wilderness of Varisia. An ancient evil stirs to waking life in the distant mountains, drawing crazed murderers, inbred ogres, warlike stone giants, and creatures fueled by the power of sin into an epic conflict destined to create a new generation of heroes!

Curse of the Crimson Throne
The city of Korvosa is perched on the edge of anarchy—the king is dead, and rumors whisper that his young queen might be responsible! This urban campaign of decadence and dark dealings casts the heroes against plagues, barbarians, riots, and worse!

Second Darkness
A strange shadow lurks in the sky above the city of Riddleport, and the doomsayers take it as a sign of the approaching end of the world! The true menace comes not from the skies above but the benighted passages of the subterranean Darklands, leading the heroes on a sweeping quest that begins in a star-struck city, weaves through ancient elven ruins, and unmasks the terrible secret of the dark elves!

Legacy of Fire

Long ago, two warring armies of genies fought on the slopes of Pale Mountain, and the world shook under the power of their wishcraft. Today, the armies are wakening, and one potent efreeti warlord is ready to pick up where he left off! This outrageous, inventive campaign takes the heroes to all corners of the desert land of Katapesh and beyond, with journeys to strange demi-planes and even the fabled City of Brass!

Council of Thieves

Once the seat of mighty Imperial Cheliax, the decaying metropolis of Westcrown now stands wrecked and ruined, haunted by mysterious shadow beasts and besieged by the agents of the nation's new diabolical rulers. Amid this chaos, a growing schism in the city's influential Council of Thieves threatens to tear Westcrown apart unless a new group of heroes rises from the ashes of empire to chart a new destiny for the lost souls of the city.

The story does not have to be based on one of these adventure paths we are quite willing to go with any plot or setting that any prospective Storyteller might come up with.

Thanks for reading

PhantomPistoleer

I am looking for another good D&D game. :o  Pencil me in for a spot as a fighter?
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Sabriel

Sure, we will have to find a storyteller/dm first of course hehe  ;D

I'm pretty sure we could use a Fighter too since well I think my friend has plans to play a Sorcerer and well I can go whatever way really. 

Lunaris

Oooooh! Pathfinder! I love me some Pathfinder, I do. In fact, I have a few characters I've crafted using that setting. That said...I was wondering if this will be freeform (but using the campaign stuff for flavor/direction) or...rule-based?

Sabriel

I would imagine that we will be using rules when needed since well doing it freeform would sort of at least for me make it a bit of a pointless exercise.  I mean one of the reasons we wish to do it is to experience pathfinder and try it out and get a feel for the whole thing.

Lunaris

Darn... I used to be able to do system stuff but my job has made me dumb (irregular sleeping patterns breaks my ability to deal with numbers). I wish you all well in this pursuit, though!

RubySlippers

I'm in don't hav access to the rules enough to play but its DnD-esque and a system game. Good enough for me.

Sabriel

Neat

I don't think having a strong grasp of the system itself will be important anyway and you can find the actual system detailed online anyway http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Sabriel

Updated and clarified that the story need not be an actual adventure path.

Still looking for a lovely ST   ;D

Tydorei

I would like to be in a pathfinder game as well. Currently in a Kingmaker game and find myself liking the pathfinder classes.

Kate

I would be happy to be a story teller for Second Darkness.

With the following conditions

I)  I would be making fighting outcomes based on how well characters are roll played (and generally how good their character is for doing what they are attempting)
dice rolls would be for things outside of fighting.

II) I may occasionally god mode a character during a flight-fight response for plot related reasons.

Sabriel

OK well thanks :)

I am curious as to the second of your conditions as Id like to be sure what you mean, I think I have an idea but the way you have phrased it and your first condition sort of leads me to wonder.

QuoteII) I may occasionally god mode a character during a flight-fight response for plot related reasons.

Kate

Ok,

Say your character is very wise - strong will (not shaken easily).
You role play your character such that you doing things that are sensible and in-character for a scene,
and are resolved to stand your ground no matter what life throws at you
(you have orders or resolve to do so) then something unexpected happens (which normally wouldnt shake someone of high resolve) etc

Normally the role play would be
scene 1) - trees start collapsing around you etc - what do you do ?
Scene 2) you post = Stand my ground here look at my will save roll thing !
Scene 3) Willpower check - which is super high => problem

Also I may want you to run for plot reasons - not as a test of intelligence or wisdom

It would be me saying that trees start collapsing and you instinctively run back the way you came (it highjacks conscious thought). This I would do rarely but I may for plot play reasons (Ie i want that path to be blocked without it needing 3 scenes and 7 posts for different characters to do so, dont want to punish strong wisom rolls for high resolve characters nor kill off a character doing so)

System gaming is fine however there can be times the rolls and mechanics bog down a game.
Ideally I want fights to be fast furious and numerous - I post a scene of it beginning in detail - you post what your character is thinking of doing - i god-mode resolution (including phps saying your character may cast a spell without you choosing it) - then it ends - this "high-jacking" or "god-moding" characters is useful for system gaming for posts to stay interesting and not just mechanics - a good storyteller would only god-mode actions that character probably would do anyway (ie they are still in character), and likely will be "smart" decisions.

Skystomp

I'd be interested. Can I play a Ranger, with a rifle and/or pistols, from the Grand Dutchy of Alkenstar in the Mana Wastes. Or a Necromancer from Osirion?
The only way you fail, is by not trying.
Linkara "I read it and I wish I hadn't!"

Kate

condition three - no gun power.

Wanna shoot something ?
be a witch, get a crossbow or find some magic ring.

Skystomp

Ok, just saying it's part of the setting and the area the Ranger would have been from. I'll go Necro from Osirion then.

fallensaviour

could we choose classes from the advanced players guide playtest pdf?

avorae

I would be interested in playing. I've had a n idea for a dwarven fighter that I'd been wanting to try.
Life is a hard game but the rewards are sweet if you know where to look.

CharlieSariel

I have to say, Kate, that for the most part you seem like a really down-to-earth person with a solid set of ideas and a great grasp of what you want in a game, and how to run it, which is all for the good.

I'd really love to play a character under you as a DM, but I have to admit to a concern regarding the whole God-Moding thing.  I totally understand the need to occasionally assume basic actions outside of combat and as it pertains to day to day activities and sane actions that fit a character's personality, especially if they support the advancement of the plot.

My concern is reading the bit about occasionally losing control of a character during combat and having you decide what spells get cast (as an example).  I'd like to think that I put some serious effort into character decisions, and combat is one of those times where I value my decisions most, as I feel that conflict is the best way to develop a character's personality (whether it's fighting conflict or social).  Losing control of the character at that moment, I would feel like I had practically no input on how the campaign was developing, and what was happening elsewhere.  It would make me feel like little more than a puppet, parroting lines and doing what I was told.

I'm not saying that I'm utterly inflexible on that point, but I personally feel that some further discussion on that particular topic is kind of important.

So, in other words, just how often have you experienced the need to commandeer a character and dictate what they're doing in the past?  Do you do so only in cases where the actions are immensely contradictory to character and circumstance, or do you do so just in order to end a combat in a specific manner?  Is it a situation where, because you know vulnerabilities and whatnot, you choose to help out the players, or do you do it to hinder, in order to maintain control of combat flow?

Please forgive the litany of interrogations, but it's really the only sticking point that prevents me from leaping up and down with hand waving say "Ooh ooh pick her!"

If you'd prefer to discuss such things privately, please feel free to PM me, and I will respond (all PMs relating to this game will be shared with Sabriel, FYI).

Hope I haven't put you off the idea  :-\

Current Posting Rate - Approximately 1 to 2 posts per week

Kate

i understand your point charlie.

I feel for this to work combat must be fast and furious - having a battle scene resolved in 1 post per player plus 2 for the storyteller (1 to set the scene) one to resolve it is a must.

How can I do this without godmoding ? Simple - in the players post they specifiy the things they will do if things turn out advantagous for them or otherwise - ideally enough of an idea that I can resolve things in the next post without assuming anything - that is an ideal world - if they DONT i want to god-mode. So if you like supercontrol - thats ok Im happy if your post is "I will attempt a fireball but if hat doesnt clear out this problem I will run, but if it does work I will follow up with this,

OR

In the character sheets of each character - there is a section of that lists of things that you feel your character would do in general circumstances - ie typical actions when evading, attacking. Characters that find themselves god-moded in a way that is detriemental (ie it annoys them) will often find out why in the next post (ie to open up a plot option)... and likely "rewarded with luck" in the next encounter for me highjacking such liberties.

Godmoding i would usually do to "fastforward" through time (key strategic points however would be all choices).

RubySlippers

Well I can get the rules on-line and I like your rules Kate. Just need to decide on character creation dice rolling or point buy.

Classes they are all nice but lets say a Fighter.

fallensaviour

Quote from: fallensaviour on June 20, 2010, 04:15:29 PM
could we choose classes from the advanced players guide playtest pdf?

cause i really wanted to play me some summoner

Skystomp

And Lo, the Fallen shall be known forever more as... Legion.

Summoner is freaking awesome class. Looking through the other stuff... alchemist has promise.

Kate

i have been looking at a few other dm's approach to combat scenes for elli in a d and d format - and some outright god mode all of it. Shades of grey i can tolerate (in light of what is above). I think it makes sense if MOST of a characters role playing is either non-combat. I don't like god-moding, but I hate game-mechanics choking things more - it can result in posts being just game mechanics - which i think removes from the story more than anything.

Its not my call if i am the storyteller for this - it is up to the two who started this thread to choose one.

There may be other storytellers out there that are more appropriate for their intentions than i

RubySlippers

Seems fine to me to post contingencies and you decide how things go doing die rolls that reminds me of a PBEM I was in ,snail mail, awhile ago.

Its not hard say your doing something like ,say, having a rogue sneak up and fire on the leader of a party then try to relocate not anything you will do get there and if something goes wrong how your going to handle it. Then she uses the character sheet and your characters actions to figure out what happened. I would normally have a few standing orders like "Will always use Bleeding Attack and Power Strike on a Melee Sneak Attack".

Its not in my view godmoding its her resolving the round based on your plans and defaults.