News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Anyone playing the DayZ Standalone?

Started by Relius, January 04, 2014, 02:36:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Relius

After hearing so much about the DayZ mod for Arma and watching a few videos on YouTube about the standalone itself, I decided to pick it up on Steam to give it a shot. The controls were a bit weird to get used to and the combat is definitely in the alpha stages, lots of lag and jerky animations. The world itself feels very empty, with not that many zombies being present and the servers with less than 10 players certainly seem sparsely populated at best.

And then I killed my first player.

I had entered a church looking for supplies. Finding nothing of interest, I turned to leave through the front doors only to find them blocked by an axe wielding masked man. He was just standing there, axe in hand, watching me silently. I drew my rifle, despite having no ammo in an attempt to frighten the guy off, attempting communication through my headset. Silence. Like some scene from a horror movie, I knew that this would end with one of us dead, so I drew my own weapon and charged in, hoping that I'd be able to land a hit before he could react. He crumpled to the ground without resistance and I left the church in a hurry. I'd never felt this way in a multiplayer game before, the feeling of panic that surged through me as I found myself face-to-face with another person.

So, as the title asks, anyone else playing online or want to team up?

SinXAzgard21

I was playing it but since you have to server hop in order to find gear, axes are the only thing that really kill zombies, and the lack of anything currently I stopped playing.  I've heard the alpha argument so many times and honestly it's bullshit.  The game has massive potential, but that potential is a long way from being let out.  If there are no updates by the end of this month, I will probably forget about it.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Inkidu

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on January 04, 2014, 02:49:27 PM
I was playing it but since you have to server hop in order to find gear, axes are the only thing that really kill zombies, and the lack of anything currently I stopped playing.  I've heard the alpha argument so many times and honestly it's bullshit.  The game has massive potential, but that potential is a long way from being let out.  If there are no updates by the end of this month, I will probably forget about it.
If you release a game in alpha it'd better be free. That's all I'm saying.

I think early access is generally the best bilk modern gaming has come up with.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Inkidu on January 04, 2014, 07:28:27 PM
If you release a game in alpha it'd better be free. That's all I'm saying.

I think early access is generally the best bilk modern gaming has come up with.

Well the game is going to go up in price as the release date gets closer.  I don't feel ripped off in the slightest.  I knew that the game was going to lack mostly everything.  Releasing it during the holidays was a good marketing strategy.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.