Black Tokyo! Well, this is for the crew I summoned with my pervy powers.

Started by Chris Brady, February 16, 2008, 09:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Brady

Quote from: Hikari on February 17, 2008, 01:47:18 PM
Thanks for clearing that up!  I think I'm down to one question, and that is whether the two starting feats assumes a bonus feat for being 'human' (as in, do characters of non-human races have one fewer feat)?  I'm liking the idea of playing a virgin succubus-kin; because she's never had sex, her powers have never manifested, so she has no reason to suspect she isn't a human.  Of course, once it, er, 'happens' for her, she'll also gain her alter-ego in the form of the succubus-kin's innate transformation ability.  (Henshin a-go-go!)

Of course, it also means she's going to have trouble on hallowed ground, which is kind of odd for a magical girl, but she is a hentai magical girl, I suppose...

Yes, the extra feat is because you're human.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Hikari

A bit of a rough draft, but it should give a working idea of what I'm going for...

Hikari Koga doesn't know it yet, but she's got a very interesting life.

Oh, sure, it's exciting enough as it is: she's been a semi-professional gymnast since she was little, and at one time even tried out for Japan's Olympic team (even if she didn't quite make it).  Her aspirations were cut short by a figure that's grown a bit too...  curvaceous...  to manage the sort of maneuvers that the sport demands, but thanks to her moment in the spotlight she's retained a bit of local notoriety and become very popular at her high school.  (Okay, so the two big reasons she can't compete as a gymnast anymore might also have something to do with that...)

But, as far as she's aware, she's just a middling student at a boring school with lots and lots of ordinary friends.  She's got her talents--they call her the 'Cosplay Queen' around the schoolyard because of her extraordinary costuming skills and penchant for all things trendy and popular--and she's got her foibles--she's barely more self-aware than a cactus, usually letting the punchline (and everything else) go right over her head in blissful, well-meaning naivete--but they're strictly within the limits of what any person would consider 'normal', right?

Except that she's the illegitimate child of a wayward incubus, and she doesn't even know it yet.  After all, she's still a virgin, so her latent powers have yet to manifest.  Lying in wait beneath her cute, idyllically Japanese facade is a heroic alter-ego, the inner 'star' she hid away when she gave up on being a champion gymnast, which normally only sees an outlet through costume play.  The beautiful, sensational, unbeatable super-girl inside!

Hikari has the sort of sense of justice and niceness that comes from sheer, nigh-impenetrable innocence.  She's extremely likable, even to people who aren't only interested in staring at her chest, simply because she's normally so humble and kind.  Her alter ego, however, is vibrant and energetic, demanding to be the center of attention; she has a practiced flair for the dramatic the results in a much showier sense of fashion and more daring way of acting.  The freedom of the mask makes her feel uninhibited and alive, letting her soak up the attention she secretly craves.

Normally, Hikari appears to be a relatively normal sixteen year old girl.  Certainly, she's far bustier than most Japanese girls--or most girls of any nationality her age, and certainly of her body type--and in superb shape due to her gymnastics, but the only tell-tale sign of her heritage (well, aside from her capital-class knockers) is a pair of gold-flecked amber eyes that are questionably abnormal, but most people pass off as vanity contacts.  Of course, when she 'transforms' into heroic self, she tends to go for flashier accents: cat ears and tail, strawberry pink-blonde hair, 'cute' little fangs, and immeasurably long legs that just seem to rise all the way to heaven...  not to mention modes of dress that call more attention to the attributes she had to begin with, like hyper-pleated short (short, short) skirts and curve-hugging corsets.

Not knowing her own heritage, and having nothing better to base her assumptions on than popular Japanese culture (which, as a closet wannabe-idol she absolutely inundates herself with), she's going to assume she's a magical girl when her powers manifest, and try to act the part.  Of course, unlike most 'magical girls', she hasn't been blessed with any means of vanquishing demonic villains, and she probably won't have much luck with her bare hands, regardless of how good they are at pummeling boys who get grabby on dates...

Hikari
Charismatic Hero Level 5
Succubi-Kin
Reputation +3
Wealth +1
BAB +2
Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +1
Defense +2
HP 21
AP 7

Ability Scores
10 Strength
16 Dexterity
11 Constitution
12 Intelligence
4 Wisdom
18 (22*) Charisma

Talents: Charm (Males), Favor, Captivate
Feats: Junishi Zodiac (Tiger), Brawl, Dodge, Combat Martial Arts, Agile Riposte
Skills: Bluff Rank 6, Diplomacy Rank 5, Disguise Rank 5, Craft (visual arts) Rank 8, Knowledge (popular culture) Rank 7, Perform (dance) Rank 8, Jump Rank 6, Tumble Rank 6, Balance Rank 5
Special: Charisma +4*, Bluff +8*, Diplomacy +8*, Gather Information +8*, Darkvision 60 ft.*, change self at will*, Lustful Translation*, Intimate Hunger*, Racial Weakness (blessed weapons and hallowed ground)

Wish List:
Cosplay Gear/Disguise Kit (fabric, accessories, make-up, etc.)
Cosplay Accessories (anime-type weaponry, gadgets, and other silliness)
Cold Winds Skirt (the defining item in the Magical Girl wardrobe!)
Oni-Bane Memento
Oni-Bane Ribbons
Ghost Sight Goggles (are they available in a fashionable retractable visor?)
Lady Raven Pseudo-Wings (little inflatable plastic cherub wings, not big feathery flying wings)

Basic Plan:
Her next level, she'll take Cosplay and start making costumes for her budding alternate persona.  She may also start taking some levels in Fast Hero to better represent her superheroic side, or if her exploits start to get around, maybe Renown and some levels of Celebrity.

To be fully useful, she might need another character to act as the 'Haruhi' to her 'Miruku'.  IE, someone to exploit her charms for fun and profit, since she might be too clueless and friendly to do so on her own.  She probably won't contribute much in combat outside of sheer distraction value (henshin and pose, baby), but hopefully she'll at least be able to keep herself alive by fighting defensively (in other words, panicking and dodging a lot).

Like any good magical girl, she never sees a trap before she's caught (0 Spot/Listen and -3 Wisdom modifier!), never suspects the painfully obvious treachery going on around her (Sense Motive, wha?), and is pretty much guaranteed to get dominated, brainwashed, or otherwise fall under evil influence with pitiful ease (Will Save = No thanks).  But, that makes her at least as much of a superhero as Robin or Aqualad, so she should be fine.
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over
You're no longer laughing
I'm not drowning fast enough

-The Strokes, Reptilia

WyzardWhately

Hikari:  Cool.  I calculate your HP to be sitting 1 higher, at 22, though. 

Oh, and your will save is so bad, you're totally going to get mind-controlled.   So, that ought to be amusing.  ;)
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0
It's still really sketchy, though.
Here are my dice rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/player/WyzardWhately/

Chris Brady

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

AstraKiseki

Physically, Ichigo looks like a sickly Japanese girl.  You know, just like what she really is.  There's hints of gaijin blood in her, with her long curly black hair and somewhat larger eyes, but for the most part, she looks like a pretty girl who just doesn't get out much, normally curled up in blankets to keep from getting sick.  It really does not help; she normally is armed with cough drops, hot tea, kleenex, and other sundry items packed in a small make-up case to ease any sort of illness she currently has.    Her uniform is a boy's winter uniform, due to the influence of a certain English teacher ("Like fucking HELL am I going to allow my sister to be in THAT sort of skirt!") and his brother ("Ichigo-chan gets so sickly, could she wear something that keeps her warm?").  Nothing like overprotective brothers to get stuck in a stupid boy's uniform.  She still pulls it off, much to the brothers' concern.  She really would like to be in a girl's uniform, but her brothers do have a point...

Now, if only she could talk to a boy without her brothers cracking their knuckles.  As a note/sidebar, it may be possible that the only thing that keeps her brothers from being physically attracted to their sister may be her virginity...

More detail/changing/adding the rest:
Charismatic Hero Level 5
Hit Points: 14
Starting occupation: Creative (Craft (visual art), Knowledge (art), Spot)
Wealth Bonus: +5
Reputation Bonus: +2

Strength 8
Dexterity 10
Consitution 8
Intelligence 16
Wisdom 14
Charisma 17

Craft (Visual Arts)       8  (+14)
Knowledge (Arcane)        8 (+12)
Knowledge (Art) 8 (+11)
Knowledge (Life Sciences) 4 (+7) X
Diplomacy                 4 (+7)
Gather Information        8 (+11)
Perform                      0 (+5) X
Read/Write Language       2 (English, Korean)
Speak Language            2 (English, Korean)
Bluff                     8 (+11)
Knowledge (Pop culture)   4 (+7)
Research                0 (+5)
Spot                      4 (+6)
Listen                    4 (+6) X
Treat Injury            4 (+6) X

Feats: Simple Weapons, Creative (visual arts, sing), Iron Will, Windfall, Studious, [To be determined]
Talents: Charm (Males), Coordinate
BAB: +2 (Melee +1, Range +2)
Fort: +2, Reflex +3, Will +3

Wishlist
Coinless Card
Gashapon Armada Bag
H-book
Glisten Shirt
Linemaker’s Polymer
Oni-Bane Mementos
Otome’s Slip

Draft of the brothers (both level 5 heros)
Identical brothers, both Nisen and Sanro look like a pair of attractive Japanese men in their twenties.  The only physical difference is a pair of freckles on Nisen's left side of his neck, and Sanro possesses three clustered in a triangle on the same spot.  Created by a master Harem Mage and assigned to the mage's daughter, and fed with the mother's experience as she waited to die of cancer.  Four years later, and there is no hint that the Ningyo twins are anything out of the ordinary (though people comment on them being called 'the second and third dolls').
Nisen, Dedicated Hero 4/ Strong Hero 1
Sanro, Dedicated Hero 1/ Fast Hero 2/ Tough Hero 2

(Editted to include feat modifiers on skills)

Khayin

Kurokawa Masato is a very disturbed young man.  The reason for this is primarily due to the terrible nature of his birth.

His mother, Sayomi, had always been sensitive to the supernatural even as a young girl.  She reasons that it was this very trait that attracted oddities to her -- oddities like the monster that attacked and raped her when she was only in high school.  She never knew where it had come from nor what it was exactly, but when she became unexpectedly pregnant, her extremely conservative parents wrote her off as a whore and a lost cause.  No one would believe her story of monsters, and so Sayomi was forced to care for herself and the baby she'd decided to keep.  Her methods of survival were not always decent, but they were honest and she tried to raise Masato as best as she could, being a young, single mother.  She never told her son what exactly had raped her.

But even from birth, she knew that Masato was unusual.  He was always a bit on the large side and his skin was tan enough to almost be red.  His white hair and abnormally sharp fangs did not help his alien appearance any, so Sayomi regularly colored his hair black to help him fit in.  While most of his appearance could be dismissed as traits of a foreign father, however, it was Masato's often violent temper that truly set him apart from normal children.  It was very difficult at first for Sayomi to keep her son in school when he would frequently be suspended or expelled for fighting.  As he matured and saw his mother in constant anguish over his actions, Masato began to realize just how fortunate he was to have someone genuinely care for a freak of nature like himself... and how he was repaying her love by hurting her.  He vowed to keep his temper in check from then on and be the model citizen in school.  While his scholastic achievements were mostly average, Masato was finally able to maintain some sense of stability in his life, much to his mother's relief.

Unfortunately, Masato found that his violent nature simply became more pronounced as the years went by.  Eventually, he took to venting his frustrations accumulated over the school day on trees, cars, dumpsters and anything that he could hit hard and repeatedly.  Inanimate objects were just not enough, however -- he wanted to hurt someone.  Masato finally found his relief when he took to beating up petty thieves and any other criminals that he came across in the city.  He especially loved to hurt and emasculate rapists.  Masato's hobby meant that he spent a great deal of time on the streets.  Since his mother worked multiple jobs, she did not often notice how much time he spent in the back-alleys and dark spots of the city.  He kept his urban activities secret from Sayomi, of course -- he didn't want her to worry again.

Masato's ferocity steadily grew over time, as if he'd been born to crush others.  After a particularly intense run-in with some local gang members, Masato was approached by a rival Yakuza boss who offered him a job as a part-time junior enforcer.  Being of questionable morals already, Masato didn't put too much thought into becoming one of the criminals he'd been hospitalizing -- especially if it meant that he could pull some extra money in to help his mom.  In just one year, Masato earned enough money to pay for his high school tuition as well as fake income from an after-school job once his mother finally agreed to let him help her with the money troubles.

Masato's goals are to finish school and enter the work force so that he can take care of Sayomi.  Failing that, he'll keep busting heads and just pretend that he's respectably employed so that his mother can hopefully rest easy and have a life of her own for a change.  As he grows, however, Masato has come to realize that there is something in him that is clawing its way to the surface.  He doesn't quite understand the nature of it yet, but he knows that there have been times when he has become so enraged that he has almost killed people.  Worse, he has noticed that his lust during these states is nearly uncontrollable.  These days, he tries his best to keep away from girls in general, but the same looks that once ostracized him have started to attract some attention.  He is extremely tall for his age and noticeably built.  His exotic skin tone and spikey hair (he colors it something different every other week) only seem to add to his subtle allure and more than a few girls have found him dangerously attractive.  He always scares them off with a few screams and a level of rudeness that he reserves for women, though.  Plenty of the yakuza that he works with think that he's just gay.  Really, he's just trying to keep everyone safe from whatever monstrosity is hidden within him.

Character-wise, Masato is a bruiser, pure and simple.  He's also a mama's boy and extremely defensive about it.  I intend to advance him into the Devil Heart Hunter PrC to reflect his discovery of his true half-demon nature.

(Note on Feats: So far, everyone seems to have one fewer Feat than I assumed they would, so I'm not certain I'm calculating Feat allowances correctly.  We do get two General Feats at first level, right?  To illustrate my logic, I detailed how I came to believe I could take that particular Feat in parenthesis next to each respective entry.  Hopefully, that'll help someone tell me if I'm just crazy.  Also, would the benefits of Brawl and Combat Martial Arts combine to allow an unarmed strike that does 1d6 lethal damage, or must I just pick one Feat or the other each time I punch someone in the face?)

Name: Kurokawa Masato
Class: Strong Hero 5
Wealth: 6

Str: 17 (+3)
Dex: 10
Sta: 16 (+3)
Int: 10
Wis: 10
Cha: 10

AP: 7
HP: 39
Attack: +5 (Melee +8, Ranged +5)
Defense: 15 (+3 Class, +2 Racial)

Fortitude: +8
Reflex: +1
Will: +1

Feats:
Simple Weapons Proficiency (Automatic Class Feat)
Brawl (Criminal Occupation Feat)
Racial Exotica (1st Level Feat)
Combat Martial Arts (2nd Level Class Bonus Feat)
Great Fortitude (3rd Level Feat)
Power Attack (4th Level Class Bonus Feat)

Talents:
Melee Smash
Improved Melee Smash
Advanced Melee Smash

Skills:
Bluff +0 (+4 Racial Bonus – Sexually Oriented), Climb +4,  Disguise -4 (Racial Penalty), Intimidate +1, Jump +4, Knowledge – Streetwise +6

WyzardWhately

D20 Modern sort of starts out with the assumption that everyone is human.  So, if you're playing a non-human, like you are, you need to have one less feat and also subtract the skill ranks out - eight by our level.
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0

Hikari

I'm off to Qatar.  Hopefully I'll find some internet access while I'm there, but if not I'll be back in a few days regardless.  Try not to have too much fun without me!
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over
You're no longer laughing
I'm not drowning fast enough

-The Strokes, Reptilia

Khayin

Quote from: WyzardWhately on February 17, 2008, 10:37:07 PM
D20 Modern sort of starts out with the assumption that everyone is human.  So, if you're playing a non-human, like you are, you need to have one less feat and also subtract the skill ranks out - eight by our level.

Fixed.  Thanks.

Know anything about how Brawl and Combat Martial Arts interact?

Chris Brady

Quote from: Khayin on February 17, 2008, 11:23:33 PM
Fixed.  Thanks.

Know anything about how Brawl and Combat Martial Arts interact?

Brawl just ups your damage, doesn't do anything about AoOs.  However, with Combat MA, you no longer count as unarmed.  The Brawl 1d6 overrides the 1d4 that CMA gives.

Stattick

Ok, I just got approved for this site. I've given the book a cursory look over, but since this is the first d20 book I've ever bought, I might end up needing some help w/ chargen or at least a good look over of my charsheet to make sure I did things right.

The idea that I had for my char is dreadfully close to several of the other characters, but I didn't know it until I got approved a few minutes ago. I was thinking of playing a foreign exchange student of some sort that's a succubi-kin but doesn't know it... She's still a virgin, but she knows that there's something different about her. (I still haven't looked through all the feats, and I'm hoping that there's one that'll accomadate me here...) See, she has tentacles "down below". Just a few, and they only "come out" when she's aroused... The day after I came up with the concept, I realized that the concept was very similar to Clara's Octopussoir from Drawn Together. I imagine that as she levels up, that her Octopussoir will get more and more powerful.

I can't for the life of me remember what class I was looking at but it was from the Black Tokyo book (because it's the only d20 book I have). I remember that there was one other possible race that would work for the concept. I can't remember the name, but it was some sort of demonic sex doll thing that was very pretty.

I'm sorry, but I just don't have time to look up the info right now... it's almost shift change, and I don't want to have the pdf open when my relief arrives. Yes, I'm at work right now.  ;D

I'll post more when I get home. I have today and tommorrow off, so I should have time to nail the character by then. Um, nail her down. Crap, that doesn't work either. Get her fixed up, get her going... damn, my mind's just too much in the gutter right now.

EDIT:
Ok, I'm at home now... Whew, that was close. I got a slew of customers, and then my relief was walking in through the doors. So I posted, cleared history, and got everything closed out by the time she came around to my side of the desk... :) 

Anyhow, if my concept's too close to anyone else's, lemme know and I'll make some changes. Oh yeah, and when I say that my character's a "virgin", I mean that only in the sense that she's never had a sexual experience with someone else. She has tentacles ~ they sorta have a mind of their own... So when she gets too aroused, they have a tendancy to find a nearby warm moist place and do their thing. Yeah, so her crotch violates itself.  *lol*
O/O   A/A

Reshki

Here's Jessica Kane so far.  She's going to have skill points coming out of her ears (44 for first level, 11 for each additional level, so 88 total  :o ).  Chris, I'm making her available as a conduit for exposition for you, so if there are any knowledge skills you'd like her to have, let me know.  I'm assuming some arcane lore and theology and philosophy are givens, considering her background.  But if there's something else you want her to have, just say so.

I hope to have her finished by noon Tuesday.  Let me know if that's not soon enough

Jessica Kane

Daughter of Elizabeth Kane, daughter of Beatrice Kennedy.  It was Beatrice who took the family tradition, handed down from mother to daughter, a sacred charge since at least the Middle Ages, of fighting supernatural evil, and turned it into a business.  Since then, Jesus & James Detective Agency has been the front for their ongoing war against the forces of evil.  Robert Kane was the son of a drunkard who got himself possessed by a demon.  After Beatrice and a Catholic exorcist managed to banish the demon, Beatrice took Robert under her wing, and found him work at the agency.  Today, he’s CEO, though Grammie Bea still calls the shots. 

Jessi, as her friends call her (never Jess), was raised to take on the family tradition.  Where other girls might learn Grandmother’s recipe for chicken and dumplings, or makeup tips from Mom, Jessi learned how to spot the supernatural, and how to shoot and care for semi-automatic pistols.  Still, she’s managed to live a mostly normal life.  She’s had a few boyfriends, attends a small private Catholic school, and her parents have been able to keep the Things That Go Bump in the Night away from home.  Most of the time, anyway. 

The exchange program that sent Jessica to Japan was supposed to be something of a vacation for her.  No memorizing the Spates Catalog or Tobin’s Spirit Guide.  No spending every other Sunday afternoon down at the shooting range.  She hasn’t even been to confession since she landed in Tokyo. 

An entire semester without ghosts and vampires, spirits or demons.  Beth and Rob thought it was important for her to live, at least a brief while, as a normal girl.

Grammie Bea, of course, knew better… 

So far Jessi enjoys Japan.  She’s picked up the language pretty quickly, it’s a lovely country, and the people are very polite.  But she doesn’t fit in very well.  At 5’8”, she was tall back home.  In Japan, she feels like Godzilla.  When she first saw how the girls tittered behind their hands instead of laughing out loud, she thought it was cute.  Then it got annoying.  Now that she’s caught herself doing it, it’s starting to piss her off.  Even worse, some of the boys are convinced that all girls from America are sluts.  Sure, she’s not as pure as fresh-fallen snow anymore; she’s had her share of back-seat romance.  But she’s not some whore, ready to spread her legs for any guy who winks at her, and she very nearly started a riot when she ground the heel of her shoe into the instep of some dirty old freak who groped her on the subway.  And while she grew up wearing school uniforms, she hasn’t had to wear one since she started high school.  She didn’t remember the pleated plaid skirts she used to wear being quite this short...

And Japan is eyeball-deep in the supernatural.  You’d have to be blind not to see it, and she can’t understand how people can’t not be freaked out by it.  Most of the spirits she’s seen have been fairly tame, hanging around the shrines and playing with fallen leaves.  She thinks she saw a kitsune, but it wasn’t there when she looked again.  So she’s a lot more relaxed than when she first arrived.  Which, as Grammie Bea always says, is when the damned bastards are sure to get you.   

Jessica Kane
Smart Hero Level 5
Wealth ???
BAB +2
Fort +1, Ref +3 (+2 DEX), Will +4 (+1 WIS)
Defense +2
HP 20
AP 7

STR: 10
DEX: 14 +2
CON: 11
INT: 15 +2
WIS: 13 +1
CHR: 10

CLASS SKILLS (+1 Competence Bonus)
Computer Use
Knowledge (Arcane Lore)
Research

SKILLS: 88
Read/Write: English (native), Latin, Mayan, Japanese, Spanish
Speak: English (native), Latin, Japanese, Spanish

Computer Use (INT) 4 +2
Decipher Script (INT) 4 +2
Investigate (INT) 6 +2
Knowledge: arcane lore (INT) 6 +2
Knowledge: history (INT) 4 +2
Knowledge: pop culture (INT) 4 +2
Knowledge: religion and philosophy (INT) 4 +2
Research (INT) 5 +2
Search (INT) 4 +2

Concentration (CON) 2
Drive (DEX) 2 +2
Gather Information (CHR) 2
Hide (DEX, armor check penalty) 2 +2
Move Silently (DEX, armor check penalty) 3 +2
Ride (DEX) 2 +2
Spot (WIS) 3 +1
Swim (STR, armor check penalty) 2
Treat Injury (WIS) 2 +1

FEATS
Combat Expertise
Exotic Weapons (katana)
Personal Firearms
Simple Weapons
Studious

TALENTS
Exploit Weakness
Linguist
Savant (Research)

UPDATE: Here she is with skills, feats, and talents.  Let me know if I screwed anything up please.  Jessi is a researching machine!  With Research as a class skill (+1) and her Savant talent (5), her total bonus is 13!  This is my first chance to play d20 modern, so please excuse my noobness.  :P

Stattick

O/O   A/A

Chris Brady

Ah, Stattick?  I'm not sure your character would quite fit.  This isn't quite as silly as apparently I've misled you to believe.

WyzardWhately

Here's my character, probably sitting at a V.9 now.  I caught a few miscalculations that I've since corrected, changed a few ideas about how he should play.  I may make another adjustment or two before the game starts, but I'm increasingly happy with his writeup.  I would welcome some commentary on this, by the way, since I think this game is going to thrive of die by communication between players.

Matt Tatami is, to put it lightly, a weird kid.  He was raised in America, often spending summers with his even weirder paternal grandfather.  As he grew up, he became more of a loner and more rejected by normal high school society, as he spent most of his time with books and computers.  Eventually, the rejection and bullying became too much for him to bear, and he had to find a way out of the path life had set him on.  He turned to the occult.

Matt's family had a lot of secrets, and what his grandfather had done for a living was one of them.  Matt found some hints when he started exploring the dark recesses of the old man's library.  As of yet, not even his parents suspect that he's been an occult practitioner since he was 14. Magic appeals to him, even more than computers used to.  It's a secret and intellectual discipline, practiced in private, that can be turned into temporal power with a little effort.  It's everything computer hacking used to be for him, turned up to eleven.  Of course, there are downsides.  His occult studies have exposed him to the shadow world, that part of the cosmos only visible to some.  It's dangerous, there, and Matt's no warrior.

He's been successful so far.  His studies have progressed rapidly, and he's moved from tiny cantrips on to real dweomers, with the next tier of attainment already so close he can taste it.  He's had some practical successes as well.  There was a showdown between him and the new geography teacher, Mr. Martin, who was doing something to the other members of his class.  After spying, observation, and some research, Matt determined the man was really a low-level monstrosity from the Shadow World, sneaking through to prey on teenagers.  Mostly the cheerleaders, but a few loners.  Matt was afraid he might be next, as Mr. Martin was starting to suspect something.  So, he marshalled what magic he'd managed to learn and confronted the suddenly fanged and red-eyed Mr. Martin, in a midnight showdown set against a strangely twisted version of the High School.  That night culminated in Matt beating him to death with a baseball bat.  The next morning he woke up to horrified janitors and lit-up police cruisers. 

Nobody would have believed his true tale, but there was enough extenuating circumstances that he could create a reasonable doubt of self-defense.  And there WAS a girl, obviously deranged, but stating in no uncertain terms that Mr. Martin had attacked her.  Also, after Mr. Martin's body disappeared from the morgue ("Stolen," but leaving a trail of bloody footprints), everybody just wanted rid of Matt and to sweep the whole matter under the rug.  His mother, in a fit of national pride, said that only a Japanese boarding school would do to get her son on the straight and narrow.  He's managed to move into a private room in the dorm without too many questions being asked about his stuff, and he's kept his spellbook and bank accounts pretty much concealed.  He's new to Japanese culture, although he knows the language.  He's determined to be less of an outcast here than he was at home, but it's time for his first day of school and he hasn't had as much time to adjust as he'd planned...

So here he is.

Name:  Matt Tatami
Level 5 (Smart 3, Mage 2)
Occupation: Shadow Scholar (Research, Arcane Lore, Gather Info)
Age 16
Half-Japanese
Wealth: +17

Str 8 -1
Dex 10
Con 14 +2
Int 18 +4
Wis 13 +1
Cha 10

AP: 8
HP: 32
Attack: +2 (Melee +1, Ranged +2)
AC: 12
F: +3
R: +1
W: +6

Feats:
Simple Weapons
Heroic Surge
Iron Will
Arcane Skills
Spellslinger
Eschew Components

Talents:
Savant: Arcane Lore (+3)
Exploit Weakness

Skills:
Concentration: +8 (+2)
Spellcraft +8
Computer Use +8
Craft: Chemical +8
Craft: Electronic +6
Decipher Script +7
Investigate +7
Knowledges:
•   Arcane Lore +8 (+1) (+3)
Repair +7
Research +7 (+1)
Search +6
Speak Language 3 [English, Latin, Sumerian]
Read/Write Language 3 [English, Latin, Sumerian]
Profession:  Programmer +6
Gather Info +8

EQ:
Spellbook
Messenger Bag (Spell component pocket)
School Supplies –books, notebook, laptop (upgraded +1, broadband)
Really badass cell phone
Honda Silverwing

Elsewhere:
Flash drive hidden in his mattress with backup spellbook
Encrypted file in an off-site server also containing a backup spellbook
Metal Baton under bed (+1 Attack, 1d6-1, 19-20x2)
Deluxe Evidence Kit
Deluxe Electronic Kit
Chemical Kit
Rope, handcuffs, etc.
Extensive Personal Library

Spells:

0-Level (5)
Daze X
Light X
Mage Hand X
Prestidigitation X
Magic ID X
Mending
Alarm

1st-Level (4)
Change Self X
Mage Armor
Magic Missile
Sleep X
Obscuring Mist X
Comprehend Languages
Degauss X
Magic Weapon
Shield

AstraKiseki

The impression I have gotten is that this is much more of horror than comedy.  Yes, there will be jokes, like in most anime, but...

The mental I get can be summed up in 'flashes.'

Hikari frozen still, staring at Masato, who just slammed his fist into a wall inches away from her, struggling with his rage.

Matt and Jessica staying up late at school for studying, and discovering the dire secret within the school.

Ichigo, Jessica and Matt arguing over the implications of the strange signs around the school, Ichigo worrying over how it will affect her brothers and any siblings she could create, as they are creatures born of magic.

The girls kidnapped and their innocence offered up to some sort of... thing.

That sort of thing.  Is that the sort of thing that should be going though my head?

WyzardWhately

Quote from: AstraKiseki on February 18, 2008, 04:16:01 PM
The impression I have gotten is that this is much more of horror than comedy.  Yes, there will be jokes, like in most anime, but...

The mental I get can be summed up in 'flashes.'

Hikari frozen still, staring at Masato, who just slammed his fist into a wall inches away from her, struggling with his rage.

Matt and Jessica staying up late at school for studying, and discovering the dire secret within the school.

Ichigo, Jessica and Matt arguing over the implications of the strange signs around the school, Ichigo worrying over how it will affect her brothers and any siblings she could create, as they are creatures born of magic.

The girls kidnapped and their innocence offered up to some sort of... thing.

That sort of thing.  Is that the sort of thing that should be going though my head?

I'd sort of hope so.  I think the system we're using is much more suited to a horrific game than a comedic one.  At least that's my take.  The stuff you're throwing out is pretty much precisely on-target for where I'm wanting to go.  I think that later this evening I'll work out a summary of the characters involved, and it'll maybe encourage people to start bouncing ideas off of each other.  It'd be handy if maybe at least a few of the characters knew each other off the start, somehow or another.

Reshki

Quote from: WyzardWhately on February 18, 2008, 04:31:21 PM
It'd be handy if maybe at least a few of the characters knew each other off the start, somehow or another.

Since my character's an exchange student, she might be staying with the family of one of the other student characters.

Reshki

Quote from: AstraKiseki on February 18, 2008, 04:16:01 PM
Is that the sort of thing that should be going though my head?

I was also thinking darker and more serious in tone.  Yes, a pinch of Buffy, but more Wicked City, the Tokyo Babylon OVA, and the Vampire Princess Miyu OVA.  But that's just me.

Chris Brady

Dead on, peeps.  Depending on people's limits, it can be pretty 'horrific'.

AstraKiseki

Kimekomi Ichigo is hopelessly sickly and coddled by her very handsome 'brothers' Ningyo Nisen and Ningyo Sanro.  Nisen and Sanro are creations of Ichigo's late mother, another Harem Mage herself.  She was skilled enough that she made her then-twelve-year-old daughter a pair of brothers as her last glorious work, and a way to protect her little girl.

Ichigo still misses her mother, but she has learned that it's better to live, as she would have wanted, and so Ichigo has excelled in school to make her brothers proud and studied her mother's books to become closer to her.  The latter has inspired her to follow in her mother's footsteps; she now stands on the cusp of following in a long line of Harem Mages, both male and female.  But other than the supernatural aspects that come naturally to a girl learning the occult and speaking with her brothers, Ichigo has been safe from the horrors of the dark.

Physically, Ichigo looks like a sickly Japanese girl.  You know, just like what she really is.  There's hints of gaijin blood in her, with her long curly black hair and somewhat larger eyes, but for the most part, she looks like a pretty girl who just doesn't get out much, normally curled up in blankets to keep from getting sick.  It really does not help; she normally is armed with cough drops, hot tea, kleenex, and other sundry items packed in a small make-up case to ease any sort of illness she currently has.    Her uniform is a boy's winter uniform, due to the influence of a certain English teacher ("Like fucking HELL am I going to allow my sister to be in THAT sort of skirt!") and his brother ("Ichigo-chan gets so sickly, could she wear something that keeps her warm?").  Nothing like overprotective brothers to get stuck in a stupid boy's uniform.  She still pulls it off, much to the brothers' concern.  She really would like to be in a girl's uniform, but her brothers do have a point...

Now, if only she could talk to a boy without her brothers cracking their knuckles.  As a note/sidebar, it may be possible that the only thing that keeps her brothers from being physically attracted to their sister may be her virginity...

Charismatic Hero Level 5
Hit Points: 14
Starting occupation: Creative (Craft (visual art), Knowledge (art), Spot)
Wealth Bonus: +5
Reputation Bonus: +2

Strength 8
Dexterity 10
Consitution 8
Intelligence 16
Wisdom 14
Charisma 17

Craft (Visual Arts)       8  (+14)
Knowledge (Arcane)        8 (+12)
Knowledge (Art) 8 (+11)
Knowledge (Life Sciences) 4 (+7) X
Diplomacy                 4 (+9)
Gather Information        8 (+13)
Perform                      0 (+5) X
Read/Write Language       2 (English, Korean)
Speak Language            2 (English, Korean)
Bluff                     8 (+11)
Knowledge (Pop culture)   4 (+7)
Research                0 (+5)
Spot                      4 (+6)
Listen                    4 (+6) X
Treat Injury            4 (+6) X

Feats: Simple Weapons, Creative (visual arts, sing), Iron Will, Windfall, Studious, Trustworthy
Talents: Charm (Males), Coordinate
BAB: +2 (Melee +1, Range +2)
Fort: +2, Reflex +3, Will +3

Normal gear: first aid kit, sundry stuff for a student, cell phone, sketchbook, pencils, digital camera, penlight
At home: Piles of books relating to harem mages and other arcane lore, her brothers, materials to make dolls and clothes, desktop computer

Wishlist
Coinless Card
Gashapon Armada Bag
H-book
Glisten Shirt
Linemaker’s Polymer
Oni-Bane Mementos
Otome’s Slip

Draft of the brothers (both level 5 heros)
Identical brothers, both Nisen and Sanro look like a pair of attractive Japanese men in their twenties.  The only physical difference is a pair of freckles on Nisen's left side of his neck, and Sanro possesses three clustered in a triangle on the same spot.  Created by a master Harem Mage and assigned to the mage's daughter, and fed with the mother's experience as she waited to die of cancer.  Four years later, and there is no hint that the Ningyo twins are anything out of the ordinary (though people comment on them being called 'the second and third dolls').  They were both originally Dedicated Heroes, as a nod to their 'duty.'
Nisen, Dedicated Hero 4/ Strong Hero 1
Nisen is a perfect gentleman and something of a homemaker.  He is the one who cooks the most (though he makes his siblings clean a lot), and tends to fret over Ichigo's clothes (he screamed in horror when she first tried on the uniform).  He often invokes the name of his creator when upset or trying to keep the other two in line.  He somehow appears the oldest, especially when he and Sanro look identical (but Ichigo can tell them apart).

Sanro, Dedicated Hero 1/ Fast Hero 2/ Tough Hero 2
Sanro's personality is at ends with his appearance as a bishonen.  He rides his motorcycle to work, he is loud, somewhat obnoxious, smokes, drinks, and very good at his job as an English teacher at the school.  He has a string of relationships, but his devotion to his sister (and making her life a living hell at times, he IS her brother) is unquestionable.  Since the school is one of the best, and Ichigo so bright, Sanro was able to get his sister into the school, though she doesn't live at the school.  Sanro is unaware of the happenings at the school.

On knowing people:
Ichigo probably knows Hikari well, and she tends to just float around everywhere, friendly to everyone.  Normally, she is sketching in her free time, and Matt and/or Jessica may recognize some of the designs she draws as arcane formulas involving life.
Quote from: Reshki on February 18, 2008, 04:44:43 PM
I was also thinking darker and more serious in tone.  Yes, a pinch of Buffy, but more Wicked City, the Tokyo Babylon OVA, and the Vampire Princess Miyu OVA.  But that's just me.
I thought so too, but I didn't want to go into detail, and I wanted to focus on the characters' interacting.

Mostlyjoe

Behold!

Nakamura Haruki aka. Haru-kun

Strong Hero 4/Martial Artist 1
Profession: Athlete

Age 19
Japanese
Rep +0
Wealth +5

Str 15
Dex 14
Con 13
Int 10
Wis 10
Cha 10

BAB + 5 (+7 melee, +8 Katana), Defence +6 ( +7 in melee), AC 16/17

Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +3

Feats:
Simple Weapons Proficiency
Combat Martial Arts
Defensive Martial Arts
Iron Will
Exotic Weapons Proficiency: Katana
Weapon Focus: Katana

Talents:
Ignore Hardness
Improved Ignore Hardness (4 total)

Skills:
Climb 4 (+1 comp bonus)/7
Jump 8 (+1 comp bonus)/11
Swim 2/4
Knowledge: Popular Culture 4/4
Tumble 6/8
Read/Write English
Speak English

Equipment:
Family Katana (   2d6   19-20   Slashing   -   Large   6 lb.   12)
Backpack
Cellphone
Marital Arts Gi
Honda 919

Haruki was born into a proud family tradition of sword masters. Going back to his earliest recorded ancestor if there was a Nakamura, they were swordfighters. But the fighting is done these days and Haruki has to worry about his standing as an athlete more than as a fighter. He was what you would call a solid B student, not that that mattered, he had the family gift with the blade. Perhaps, none of his family in recent history were as good as him. He breezed through high school and was accepted into the local Kusai Martial Arts Academy. Life should be perfect...

But Haruki feels wrong. He's almost perfect at what he does but he's feeling like it's all pointless. Practice and school eat up all his college life. He's thinking about moving to America and opening up a studio there to train and maybe get away from the echoes of his hearts longing.

You see, Haru-chan is a hero at heart. He always saw himself as the Samurai of old charging into save the day for his Lord or Lady. He fancies the girls that hang around such an up and coming freshman, but really can't seem to make the time for a real relationship. As time moves on he feels something changing about the world around him. Shadow loom larger, rumors take on new life, his warrior spirit is called to action, even if he's clueless as to what's really going on.

Haru is a bit clueless most the time unfortunately, but at least his hearts in the right place.
Motivated goofball at your service.

WyzardWhately

As promised, I'm going to make a summary of those characters posted so far.  I know people love their PCs, so I apologize in advance if I misinterpret your writeup.  Let me know, and I will correct with all due haste any misstatements.  In fact, I suppose people could give me their own character summary, and I'd replace mine with theirs.  I think the real function of this is to put them all in one place, so we can look at how they might relate.

Kimekomi Ichigo
Player: AstraKiseki
Concept: Budding Harem Mage
Kimekomi is a sickly young girl with a broad artistic streak.  Her mother was able to create realistic, magically animated humans, and Kimekomi is following in her footsteps.  Her mother has fortunately left behind two artificial bishounen older brothers; Nisen the homemaker and Sanro the motorcycle-riding English teacher.  They can't be distinguished from normal people unless they die.
Plot Hooks: 
She has two artificial older brothers, whose true nature is secret. (possible risk of exposure, but it's not easy)
Her brothers are extremely protective of her. (tension between anyone she wants to get close to, and them)
There is some potential sexual tension there. (It's hinted that they could go strange once she becomes sexually active)
She has a strong desire to become a harem mage. (someone could use that desire to manipulate her)
We know nothing about her father. (Does she even know who he is?  Family seems to be something of a theme for her)
Mechanical Niche: Charismatic Hero, Social & Artistic Skills, Minions

Hikari Koga
Player: Hikari
Concept:  Cosplaying Ex-Gymnast, shading into magical girl
Hikari used to be a champion gymnast, but puberty had some big surprises for her.  She's still extremely agile, and her star-power continues to shine through.  She's also, unbeknownst to her, part-succubi.  It is highly probable that she's going to decide she's a magical girl and try to fight evil once she gains her powers.  Hikari is all-around incredibly naive and friendly to a fault.  She seems like the type to be nice to everyone, maybe even the big bad wolf...
Plot Hooks:
Hikari used to be on-track for the olympics, but lost that.  (This gives a good hook for any potential antagonist trying to tear down her self-esteem)
Her heritage is still unknown to her (There's a whole bag of stuff here.  She could go magical girl and try to fight evil.  She could find out the truth.  She could find out the truth after campaign events cause her to develop a real serious hatred for demonkind, maybe even incubi specifically.)
Her powers won't develop until she breaks some kind of mystic seal, conveniently located in her hymen.  (There's all kinds of potential there, too.)
She is very, very naive.
She likes cosplay and pop culture, and could probably be tempted by an Idol, especially one offering her a chance to be in the limelight again.
Mechanical Niche:  Charismatic Hero, some gymnastic abilities, darkvision, a couple demonic powers, non-trivial amounts of hand-to-hand combat skill.  NOTE TO HIKARI:  Take Weapon Finesse: Unarmed!  It will fill your days with happiness and to-hit bonuses.  :D

Kurokawa Masato
Player: Khayin
Concept:  Angry half-demon enforcer
Masato has anger control problems.  This probably comes from the half of his bloodline he received from his father, when he raped Masato's mother.  It's also given him great strength, and a completely unreasonable degree of combat prowess for a high school student.  He's lately spent some time as a street vigilante, beating up a lot of muggers and really seriously beating up rapists.  This has resulted in his timely employment as a yakuza enforcer.
Plot hooks:
His appearance has been altered by his heritage, giving him nearly red skin, spiky white hair, and a slight case of fangs.  (He could potentially be recognized, esp. if he runs out of hair dye.)
He has major, major anger control problems, esp. with rapists.  He possibly could be tempted into violence at inappropriate times.
He seems as though he'd do anything for his mother.  Someone could use that against him.
His mom has had to work very hard to keep the two of them solvent.  Easy money could tempt him.
Also, his grandparents disowned his mom before he was born (over him, in fact.)  How would he react if confronted with that?
He knows he's a freak, but doesn't seem to know the particulars of his nature.  The circumstances of that discovery could potentially be kind of traumatic.
He has issues with women, lust and rage intermingling inside him.  There's some serious danger involved if a girl tried to get too close to him, inside his defenses.
Going along with the above, his mom seems to love him, and hasn't had to confront that part of him.  He's hidden his violent side from her pretty successfully.  What happens to their little family when she finds out the truth about him? (I'm thinking here a scene where he simultaneously part-loses-control with a girl who has insisted on pursuing him romantically, and his mom walks in while he's got just a bit too rough with her.)
Mechanical Niche:  Strong hero.  Ass-whuppings.

Jessica Kane
Player: Reshki
Concept: Girl raised to fight monsters (It's Supernatural in a pleated skirt!)
Jessica is an exchange student from America, trained from a very young age in Catholic doctrine and how to kill monsters.  She's been sent to Japan as a sort of vacation - her family has been doing this since the middle ages, and her parents thought the war against evil wouldn't collapse from her taking a little shore leave.  Sadly, the high school she's been sent to is probably not ideal for that purpose.
Plot Hooks:
Jessica actually knows what she's facing, and has been trained to face it.  She might not react too awful well to Masoto or Hikari (once she pops.)
Her family has been doing this for a long time, but she hasn't.  Some of the things her parents or grandparents may have fought could still be out there - and looking for a little revenge now that her parents aren't there to protect her.
She likes weapons, which aren't wildly popular in Japan.
She feels a little off here, since she's so tall and not-japanese.  High-school angst could come into play here. 
People have mistaken her for being much easier than she is.
Seems to default to violence when groped.
Mechanical Niche: Smart Hero.  Great at Research.  Reshki:  I suspect your skills aren't exactly right, it looks like you don't have near max ranks in any of your primary skills.  If you maxed out research, you should be sitting at a total bonus of 16, 18 with studious.  I hate to advise this, but...have you considered going fast hero instead?  You could get way more combat ability, play up her agility, and if you pick the right occupation, still know a fair bit about the darker things in the world.  I feel like you're trying to straddle two different roles, and you're coming up pretty light on the defeating-evil side of things.  Just a thought.

Nakamura Haruki
Player: Mostlyjoe
Concept: Martial Artist with a romantic streak
Haruki has spent much of his life learning the art of traditional Japanese sword-fighting.  He's in college, now, and he's still on the Kendo team.  However, he desires on a deep level to use the skills he's learned for more than earning trophies.  He wants to fight monsters and rescue distressed damsels like the heroes in a story.  But there seems to be a shortage of that kind of opportunity in modern-day Tokyo...or is there?
Plot Hooks:
He has a big family tradition of swordsmanship.  Family martial arts secrets?
Ancient feuds between rival schools?
Any other martial art movie trope?
He really wants to fight monsters and rescue the girls.  Just give him a shot.
Seems inclined to possess a real weapon, and maybe use it if he sees something scary.
He's also in college.  Could cause him some problems, hanging around with all these HS students...
Mechanical Niche: Strong Hero/martial Artist.  Great with a katana. 

Matt Tatami
Player: WyzardWhately
Concept:  Outcast nerd turned to the occult
Matt Tatami fled a life of social mediocrity and computer hacking into his grandfather's library, where he picked up some magic.  He finds himself attracted to the darkness and shadows, and he's rapidly learned a great deal about the hidden things of this world.  He can also already cast a few spells.  After beating to death a monster masquerading as a geography teacher, he's been sent to board at a Japanese high school.
Plot Hooks:
Matt is half-japanese.  He's going to be subject to some flak for that.
He believes he's not getting what he deserves out of life.  Waving a chance to gain power, prestige, popularity, or a hot girlfriend under his nose is likely to make him bite.
He's too fascinated with the darkness for his own good, he wants more arcane power, and he's willing to do dangerous things to get it.
There are some indications that Mr. Martin isn't as dead as he looked.  Matt only beat him through surprise and preparation the first time.  He might not be so lucky a second.
Matt does some questionable things (magic, hacking, chemistry) and he has to live in a dorm right now.  He's either going to find another living arrangement or get busted for something.
Matt also has some contraband - an extendable metal baton, and probably a fair amount of illicit software on his computer. 
He knows a lot, and can find out more.  He could play the role of a go-to guy for other PCs - at a price, if they haven't earned his friendship.
Power corrupts.  Matt finally has some real power for the first time in his life.
Mechanical Niche:  Smart Hero, Mage.  Useful skills, a little combat & utility magic, good wealth check.

Stattick:  Please don't feel left out, I'm not ignoring you.  I thought you might be doing a rewrite, though, so I'm going to wait.

Reshki

Quote from: WyzardWhately on February 18, 2008, 06:02:32 PM
Reshki:  I suspect your skills aren't exactly right, it looks like you don't have near max ranks in any of your primary skills.  If you maxed out research, you should be sitting at a total bonus of 16, 18 with studious.  I hate to advise this, but...have you considered going fast hero instead?  You could get way more combat ability, play up her agility, and if you pick the right occupation, still know a fair bit about the darker things in the world.  I feel like you're trying to straddle two different roles, and you're coming up pretty light on the defeating-evil side of things.  Just a thought.

Which probably means I've spread my skills too thin (something I often do) or I've made some mechanical error.  That's fairly easy to fix.

The goal was to create a character who was primarily a research-specialist, but wasn't useless in a fight.  Maybe not terribly useful mind you, but not underfoot and needing to be rescued constantly.  It seemed to me we have a number of good bruiser types already.  However, if this game is going to be heavy on the combat and light on the investigation, I suspect your suggestion would be a good one to follow.  I'll poke around and see how making her a fast hero would change things.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Chris, do you have an opinion one way or another?  What sort of game are you imagining this will be?

Rune

I was thinking about playing a sorceress and using the feats from Black Tokyo. Are you going to be using the d20 modern rules or tie it in to the dnd rules?

How about that she is a prophesied demon hunter. She can use the power unlocked by sex to defeat the demons.

I was even thinking about going the Ramna 1/2 route. SHe was a he until she comes within 100 yards of a demon? What do you think?