Nuclear weapons defy description.

Started by Ajoxer, June 05, 2007, 12:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ajoxer

There are words we sometimes try to use to describe them, but they're pale, pathetic shadows. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16cewjeqNdw

Openheimer was right.

Azathoth, one of the three Lovecraftian Elder Gods, is described as being the basis for nuclear explosions. They're a small fraction of his being, teleported onto earth, in a wave of nuclear insanity. Is it any surprise that people would think this, after seeing the way a single bomb could cause so much destruction?

Edit: That might not be canon, and instead the product of my own wacky mind... But meh.
I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!

Vekseid

Lovecraft died long before the atomic bombs were detonated.  I often wonder what he would have thought of humans harnessing that sort of power.

A fission device is basically harnessing the excess energy of an ancient supernova.  A tiny, insignificant fraction of it.

Celestial Goblin

Lovecraft described Azathoth as 'nuclear chaos'. Even though he meant 'nuclear' as 'something as the center', the descriptions still seem almost prophetic.

Demon Sultan who can destroy everything and is kept from it by lesser demons dancing around his throne...

And his herald is Nyarlathotep, who enjoys to create complex and innovative machinery...

He KNEW;)

Ajoxer

It's true, the supernova thing. When you see the Tsar explode, it's a miniature sun coming into existence on earth, and the sheer devastation it wreaks...
I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!