Random Brainstorming / Chatter

Started by ferrousaemyr, November 28, 2010, 03:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ferrousaemyr

No idea where else to put this, so it's going here to avoid plaguing the SB with my more detailed conversations. ;)

So, I'm creating a character that's a mix of roguishness and spellcasting with a focus on enchantment, but I'm not sure which direction would be best to go as far as personality / backstory for a group game.

Here are some possibilities I came up:

a) Character is a fugitive, and uses enchantments and illusions to keep his identity hidden. He is both thrilled and terrified as he dons more and more identities, switching between with ease and ratcheting up various games and plots, both for fun and to unravel the conspiracy seeking to kill him - or worse. (Reckless and Hunted)

b) Character is something of a scoundrel, who enjoys using the people around him as playthings; while he doesn't directly dominate anyone, he uses his magic to increase his already impressive charm, and has little care for the games he plays with other people's hearts and minds. (Callous Dominator)
Possible Twist: Someone, either in the party of a major NPC, makes Character have a change of heart and re-think his ways.

c) Character follows the lines of his aptitude, which includes great skill in stealth and mental manipulation, but he finds his work distasteful. He pursues quests and adventures that help others, especially those in need, and refrains from coercing others whenever possible. (Restrained Hero)
Possible Twist: Character is forced to use the most powerful of his magic to ensnare the will of another who would otherwise cause great harm; for some reason, he cannot kill them, and must keep them around, dominated

d) Character seems to be a generic adventurous type, but has an imperative goal that is more important than anything else; his seemingly disconnected aims are all to uncover a great mystery, solve a great puzzle, or complete a dire quest with great personal ramifications.  In the course of seeking this goal, Character cares less for the fate of his companions and others, willing to sacrifice nearly anything to reach his goal. (Secret Quest)

So... which seems most interesting and fresh, I suppose?

Oniya

It might depend somewhat on what sort of plot the group game itself has.  Any one of those has potential for being an interesting character, given the right plot and additional characters.  (I almost said 'supporting characters', but in a good group game, it gets really annoying for one character to be 'main' and the others to be 'supporting'.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

ferrousaemyr

I unfortunately have no idea what the plot is! Thus far, it seems like most of the other characters are fighter-types, so I went for something more magey.

Since it's currently completely open, I also left the exact details for all of the ideas strictly vague, so they could be filled with the setting of the game.