Touhou: Like it, Love it, or Addicted to It?

Started by Gensokian, August 17, 2010, 04:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gensokian

There's also Sakuya, Byakuren, and I suppose you could count Youmu and Rinnosuke, although they're just half-human. I'm not sure if Keine would pass for human, as she's a half-beast. Mokou is human, except immortal because of the elixer. (OCD moment: over~)

Youkai are horrific creatures. Have you seen Japanese mythology? They do some strange, vile things, they do. ><

Koyume

Quote from: Wriggle Nightbug on August 27, 2010, 03:27:39 AM
THe most important thing to remember is that anybody who isn't Marisa, Reimu, or Sanae is a youkai, spirit, or god and thus while they appear to be caring or nice, they really aren't. If they appear to be caring, its because they're supposed to look that way, not because they -choose- to look that way. Its kinda like how fire burns because its supposed to burn.

If you ever read the Perfect Memento, you find out that a lot of these youkai and whatnot are really horrific creatures.

At the end of the day, everyone eats humans without a care for it. Except -maybe- Suika and Yuugi.

Maybe, but I think there are probably a few more exceptions, like Meiling and Patchy, and even on the youkai-ish side there's Keine, who actively protects and tutors humans. I get the feeling that as the judge of the afterlife(and not a youkai) Shiki's probably an exception too, especially considering that she's very rarely even in Gensokyo.

(It's those pesky fireflies and things that you really have to watch out for) :3

Gensokian

Patchy and Meiling both mention wanting to eat either Reimu or Marisa in EoSD, but since they never really leave the SDM, I suppose that they wouldn't be dangerous unless you were in the area. Although, why you would even be around the SDM would be a mystery, as no one messes with the Scarlets. Except a greedy miko and a witch that Sparks you with love~.

(Oh, I know, right? Those fireflies are the meanest and ugliest~. =3)

Wriggle Nightbug

Meiling is specifically kept placated by offerings from the Scarlet Devil Manor, last I remember reading. She doesn't eat humans mostly because she's already well fed with whatever the SDM inhabitants think to feed her.
Just because I'm the King of Insects doesn't mean I'm a guy, silly. If Freddy Mercury can be Queen, I can be King.

Gensokian

I suppose that makes sense. Can't have your gate guard leave her post, even to eat, lest the gate be breached. Still, dispite the jokes about her, I doubt I'd like to get in a fight with her.

Koyume

Quote from: Gensokian on August 27, 2010, 04:02:27 PM
Patchy and Meiling both mention wanting to eat either Reimu or Marisa in EoSD, but since they never really leave the SDM, I suppose that they wouldn't be dangerous unless you were in the area. Although, why you would even be around the SDM would be a mystery, as no one messes with the Scarlets. Except a greedy miko and a witch that Sparks you with love~.

(Oh, I know, right? Those fireflies are the meanest and ugliest~. =3)

Hah, I had totally forgotten about that. In fact I kind've had it in my head that Meiling was human...  :-[

Gensokian

Can't say I blame you, as she does say she's just a normal girl in EoSD. I figured she was a youkai, though, when she said that shrine maidens are ok to eat.

Still, she is the most human-ish youkai, having only martial arts as her ability. She does attack with some pretty colors, though~.

Lyell

I was a noob at IaMP and made it my mission to master Hong Meiling. Got to the point where I could give most experienced players a run for their money, but got into it too late to stay in the curve.
When you absolutely, positively have to kill it with fire...accept no substitutes.

Wriggle Nightbug

Well, to be fair, its hard to stay in the curve with the lowest-ranked character. Statistically, anybody with an equal level of skill to you will beat you pretty squarely. She's a blatantly inferior character in IaMP. They made her better in SWR's expansion.
Just because I'm the King of Insects doesn't mean I'm a guy, silly. If Freddy Mercury can be Queen, I can be King.

Gensokian

I wish I could agree or disagree with you two, but I could never get IaMP to work. Stipid file would just freeze up on me. ><

ReijiTabibito

I'm not a fanatic, but I am a fan of a certain pair of IN characters...can you guess from the following clues?

1: "I'm a useless little bunny..."  (Okay, a huge clue, but still.)

2: Let's just say...I'm Hot For Teacher.

Gensokian

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on September 04, 2010, 02:16:31 AM
I'm not a fanatic, but I am a fan of a certain pair of IN characters...can you guess from the following clues?

1: "I'm a useless little bunny..."  (Okay, a huge clue, but still.)

2: Let's just say...I'm Hot For Teacher.

1. "...only good for my sex appeal!" (Reisen Inaba~)

2. (was here, but Keine made it so it never happened)

=3

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Gensokian on September 04, 2010, 05:09:59 PM
1. "...only good for my sex appeal!" (Reisen Inaba~)

2. (was here, but Keine made it so it never happened)

=3

Well done!

Although, the fact that 1 was a huge give-away, and that I said both characters were from IN helped, too, probably...

Just as a note, the last game that I've physically played (I do keep up on new characters, and plot, though) was MoF, so I have been wondering about some characters...for starters, UFO's Shou.

Gensokian

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on September 04, 2010, 11:24:08 PM
Well done!

Although, the fact that 1 was a huge give-away, and that I said both characters were from IN helped, too, probably...

Just as a note, the last game that I've physically played (I do keep up on new characters, and plot, though) was MoF, so I have been wondering about some characters...for starters, UFO's Shou.

Well, Shou is a tiger youkai, and a devoted follower of Byakuren, a human Buddist monk who wishes for equality of youkai and humans. She was trapped in a seal with Byakuren, as well as a few others, before a gyser forced them out of the seal. Byakuren was still stuck inside, so Shou and her friends were trying to break that seal.

*in an automated voice* For more information, the wiki of Touhou is a great source of all information that is Touhou. Pick up a copy today!

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Gensokian on September 04, 2010, 11:28:36 PM
Well, Shou is a tiger youkai, and a devoted follower of Byakuren, a human Buddist monk who wishes for equality of youkai and humans. She was trapped in a seal with Byakuren, as well as a few others, before a gyser forced them out of the seal. Byakuren was still stuck inside, so Shou and her friends were trying to break that seal.

*in an automated voice* For more information, the wiki of Touhou is a great source of all information that is Touhou. Pick up a copy today!

Right.  I know that.  I keep up on plot, I'm more wondering what her personality is...

Gensokian

Ah, personality. Well, she seems to be a nice youkai towards humans, and is rather nice towards her friend, Nazrin. Due to her losing her pagoda, though, fans have made her seem forgetful and clumsy. Other than that, the rest is how you chose to see her.

ReijiTabibito

Yeah, that is a part of a problem, isn't it?  ZUN doesn't really give a whole lot of characters definable personalities in the games.  Although, I can't really say that it'd be easy to do that.

Gensokian

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on September 04, 2010, 11:48:52 PM
Yeah, that is a part of a problem, isn't it?  ZUN doesn't really give a whole lot of characters definable personalities in the games.  Although, I can't really say that it'd be easy to do that.

Well, you have to admit, ZUN is amazing for making the quality of gameplay Touhou offers all by himself. The artwork leaves some to be desired, but hey, it's better than what I could produce. He most certainly makes up for it in his music, though. Man, I love the composer ZUN~.

ReijiTabibito

Oh, assuredly.  And there's only so much you can do by yourself.  Which is why I don't blame him for leaving character personalities mostly to fanon...but it's still a bit of a bother to me, since everyone's got their own interpretation of Shou, Reisen, Keine, etc...

Gensokian

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on September 05, 2010, 12:02:04 AM
Oh, assuredly.  And there's only so much you can do by yourself.  Which is why I don't blame him for leaving character personalities mostly to fanon...but it's still a bit of a bother to me, since everyone's got their own interpretation of Shou, Reisen, Keine, etc...

True, true...still, you have to admit, it is fun to make them into what you want~. Although, ZUN did make Cirno's personality clear...that would be the strongest, of course~.  ;)

ReijiTabibito

...  (9)

Anyway.  One must wonder if, eventually, Touhou Fan RPs will make their way here...

Wriggle Nightbug

I'm highly surprised if there hasn't been any Touhou related RP yet.

ReijiTabibito

I think part of the problem is that 'anime' style RPs don't get treated seriously around here.  And I know Touhou isn't actual anime per se (though Maikaze's adaptation is amazing!), but it's close enough.

Wriggle Nightbug

Pfft. Who cares? If you have an anime-style RP, then have an anime-style RP. Its not like someone else can come jack your thread.

ReijiTabibito

I know, right?  That's what most of us who play anime-style RPs around here say.  But they don't seem to be hugely popular, anyways...I run a Strike Witches RP over on the Light Board, and I had to recruit half my players, and have them join E expressly for the purpose of playing this game.

I don't understand what the deal is, and why things are this why, but I understand that they are.

Though, meh.

All I do know is that if someone is willing to be my moon bunny or wereteacher or Bishamonten avatar (I'd be willing to give Shou a spin), I'm there.