The Story Lottery - Feedback and Chatter

Started by Britwitch, August 20, 2019, 12:13:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lovely Complex

Quote from: Blank on September 21, 2019, 03:50:07 PM
@Those who did this last month?

How was it to do a semi-lottery story pairing?

My partner, EternityWaits and I have always chatted about writing together and finally had the opportunity to do so, thanks to the story lottery. I am enjoying our story and it's exciting to finally be writing together with him. I like the story lottery because it also gives writers the opportunity to meet new writers and delve into writing worlds that they probably never even thought of.

💋 On's & Off's 💋 F-List 💋

Mister Morgue

I really feel like the Story Lottery is a great way for people to find someone to write with - whether they're fairly new to E, or have been on the site for years. Just signing up, you get the chance to write with someone you might not have otherwise gotten to write with otherwise. I hope that more people sign up for the lottery, because it's really fantastic, and I think that everyone should take advantage of it! <3

I've definitely been having fun with the story Lovely and I have been working on, and I'm really glad that we got paired up! We got to write out something we'd been talking about before but never actually got on to writing. Throwing ideas back and forth and plotting out the story is one of my favourite things to do, and I think it helps you to get to know your writing partner as well.

Britwitch

Awww, you guys... <3

I just wanted to poke my head in to thank each and every member who was brave enough to take the plunge last month and I'm genuinely thrilled to see so many of the partnerships writing together.

I also want to thank all those for whom the partnerships just didn't quite work out, for whatever reason, who were polite and understanding about the whole thing.

Fingers crossed this month's draw will create some more lovely new stories, creative partnerships and regardless of the writing, allow people to make new friends. ;D

Current status : Selectively seeking new stories

Blank

@all <3 thank ya for sharing your experiences.  Sounds like it's worth a go.  I'm looking forward to it!

Eikichi

I ended up pretty busy at the start of this month, but my partner was nice enough to be patient as we got things off the ground a week ago. Just in terms of plotting it was nice to get paired with a partner with somewhat similar interests.
PMs are open for all role play inquiries.

mainsnoires

Hi All,
I agree with everything said above, and yes, if things did not work out with my partner, it was not her fault, it was always very polite and with mutual understanding. I recommend to try the story lottery for the thrill of experimenting potential new adventures, or just meeting friends.

echoes

I was also in the boat with those who were unable to start their story last month. My partner's real life got very convoluted so we ended up just chatting and brainstorming when we could. Super nice person whose life I hope balances out soon.

That said, there is something freeing about working with an "assigned" partner instead of one that you have solicited to write with. See if this tracks for anyone who is reading:

When you go through someone's requests you are actually looking, investing, into finding someone who has something you like or want. Then you have to negotiate, in some form or another, to get them interested all the while making sure your interests are also looked after. This can be daunting at times because you know at least one of you has expectations for the story.

When you are randomly put together with someone else you get to co-create from the ground up with fewer present conditions other than respect for one another's on and off selections. No one person has set the table and therefore "owns" the story. The randomness here provides for a more textbook collaboration.

Or

I could just be crazy and I had to voice it.

Anywho. Cheers,

E.

razorbackxr

Quote from: echoes on September 24, 2019, 09:51:01 AM
When you go through someone's requests you are actually looking, investing, into finding someone who has something you like or want. Then you have to negotiate, in some form or another, to get them interested all the while making sure your interests are also looked after. This can be daunting at times because you know at least one of you has expectations for the story.

When you are randomly put together with someone else you get to co-create from the ground up with fewer present conditions other than respect for one another's on and off selections. No one person has set the table and therefore "owns" the story. The randomness here provides for a more textbook collaboration.

I agree completely, which is why I'm getting jittery.

echoes

No I get this. When randomly paired up it's like the goal is to figure out a way to write  together, as opposed to like, the weighing of whether you want to or not or how ideal it is. And since it's just a one shot there's no great pressure to succeed. It's fun

More than just this, when you go looking through one shof requests you have a couple of base parameters that you, or anyone start with;

What do I want to write
How often
What is my itch or reason to write

There are more but these are pretty core as we go look.

So, as we are looking we are not likely to find the goldilocks plot that is just right. Now, this can happen but usually we either find :A) close enough, b) wow, I didn't know I wanted to play this but now that I have seen this prompt i am all in.

Both of these scenarios mean the other author has more investment and done the heavy lifting regarding the piece.  The lottery puts both people on the ground floor with a chance to back and forth ideas to see if something grows.  As such it is fun, exciting even, but more importantly the creation is truly a joint one.

Or so I hope. I am sure everyone's mileage will very. I admit I like the social implications and interactions as an experiment. That and I like typing with new people.

Wordiness done. I will hide my soapbox now.

E

Britwitch

Just a little reminder that the sign up thread for the September draw will close at the end of today to let me start pairing all of you lovelies up ;D

If you want to take part this month please make sure you go drop a link to your participant profile over in the sign up thread before it gets locked.

Manaan

Quote from: Blank on September 21, 2019, 03:50:07 PM
@Those who did this last month?

How was it to do a semi-lottery story pairing?

I love it, my match may not be a fast poster, but they more than make up for it in terms of writing quality. It is definitely worth a shot, the worst that can happen is you don't mesh well and try again next month.

Praxis

Quote from: Britwitch on September 25, 2019, 09:29:14 AM
Just a little reminder that the sign up thread for the September draw will close at the end of today to let me start pairing all of you lovelies up ;D

If you want to take part this month please make sure you go drop a link to your participant profile over in the sign up thread before it gets locked.

Thanks for doing all the work for this.

You're a star.

I'm super-curious to see the results.

Lovely Complex

Quote from: Praxis on September 25, 2019, 01:02:40 PM
Thanks for doing all the work for this.

You're a star.

I'm super-curious to see the results.

Echoing this! I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, this is a unique and wonderful idea! ^^

The Lovely Tsaritsa

Thank you. I make profile, I don’t think I’m ready, for playing in lottery, yet though.  :-\ Maybe soon.

Sabre

It took a bit of brainstorming, but ours is up and ready for readers to start enjoying!

The Harvest Runner [Op3999 & Sabre] - Story Lottery
Writers: Op3999, Sabre
Comments:

Britwitch

The partnerships for this month are now up! You can find them listed over here!

Happy writing everyone!

Lovely Complex

Levi

Ooh some fun looking prompt ideas! I love the initial contacting and develop stage with talking to new people!
A Working Progress.             Posting responses are: Slow.    Updated

Praxis

Quote from: Levi on September 30, 2019, 02:12:41 PM
Ooh some fun looking prompt ideas! I love the initial contacting and develop stage with talking to new people!

We got this yo.

Wandering Mind

Looking forward to seeing how this round goes.    :-)
Estimated response rate: 3 to 10 days.
Owed Posts: Too many
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

razorbackxr

Nymphadora

Not going to work out this time around but certainly planning to try again!
A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Rate:Weekly give or take
Availability:
Unavailable for new plottings, sorry.
O&Os Please review
♪As flawed as you may think you are, you're perfect to me!♪

Mellific

Quote from: Nymphadora on October 01, 2019, 08:26:45 PM
Not going to work out this time around but certainly planning to try again!

Same boat, Nymph.

Better luck next time for all of us whose partnerships didn't work out.

O/O | A/A | MM

Kuroneko

Same as well.

Best of luck to all those partnerships that have worked out, and for another time to those of us whose partnerships didn't.
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh