One apartment building, 6 to 8 tenants. Interest check.

Started by Cynadea, September 06, 2012, 11:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cynadea

The setting:

It's an 6 or 8 apartment building. It's old, but in good shape. Only, the walls are paper thin, the vents carry conversation over to the next apartment. The atmosphere is friendly, for the most part. Everyone can put their nose in anyone else's business given the poor soundproofing. The rumor mill is running high, there can be blackmail, late night visits, etc.

It would be humans only, in a modern day city. There would be events GM'ed like a black out, a fire, a water pipe breaking on the upper level floor, etc. to keep things challenging and interesting.

I am opened to suggestions.

Currently MIA, not available for  RP

Ons and Offs ~ Idea thread

MzHyde

Is there going to be a story or just random socialization?

BraveEarth

Potentially interesting but as MzHyde puts it, it depends on what you wish to do with it.

Cynadea

The story depends on the kind of characters that are going to be part of it, really. I am a very character development oriented person so socializing would be a big part of it, yes. I am also very open to suggestions if someone has a plot to throw in.

The building could be haunted or be under some supernatural influence for a twist, I'd rather not have vampire and werewolves in the building which is why I wrote "human only."

OldSchoolGamer

Like a demon/incubus who preys on the female inhabitants?

Photo

fascinating idea. Simple, pure, great idea for an RP.

I feel like it would be better as an open, sandbox, style game, giving everyone in the building the full range of human emotions at their disposal.

master devices: like a haunted building, or a curse on the land is a good idea, because it gives everyone a fall back subject when their character's world slows down. A common theme in every character would even work (like if everyone was an addict of some kind, or if everyone in the building was coincidentally from the same general nationality) I'll show you all of my brainstorming on this subject:

MASTER DEVICES:

environment swells-
I - the haunting
II- landlord is a murderer
III- IRS is trying to demolish the building (kind of a rent thing i suppose - but no one would be squatting, so its legitimately different)
IV- everyone in the building was witness to a front-page headline murder case. This causing detectives and accessories to the murder to constantly drop by for malevolent or beneficial visits. I suppose the murder would have happened in the pool, or the front entrance, maybe on the street in front of the building
V- lots of snow, no one wants to go outside (this has actually happened to me two winters ago, it was really fun. lots of blankets and sexy encounters for "warmth" This might cause a Christmas or Thanksgiving theme, though, kind of lame if not done well)

Character themes-
I- everyone's a musician/artist/dancer/something creative
II- everyone is of the same race (not relevant in story, but in everyone's inner-monologue)
III- all alcoholics, or cocaine addicts, or cigarette smokers, or pot-heads, or all different varieties of addiction. This is supposed to be inspirational, not dark and depressing. Like, they're all living good lives, despite their addictions.
IV- all students at college-grad school-or higher (18-35 year old characters, always studying)
V- everyone is really spiritual and a little bit crazy in to it (it would make the game eerie)

This is all just to get ideas rolling. I'm not sure what everyone wants from this RP, but I think I'm going to be interested no matter how it turns out.
Apologies and Absences

MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA

Cynadea

@Oldschool

I have two reasons against an incubus in particular. The first being that I am hoping to stay away from an idea that's used a lot (the succubus/incubus idea) and because I am hoping not to have the whole story centered around one main character, but rather on the group as a whole. When I mentioned supernatural, demonic influence did cross my mind.  I remember an idea I've had that I've never really had the chance to play out. Now might be a good time. It had the kind of twist I had in mind.

A demon who was just out of a battle that left him with a very low level of energy finds a place where there are six people snowed in for a weekend. During the weekend, he uses his influence to have these people do things they wouldn't do normally, corrupt them if you will (i.e. a married man who's never been unfaithful suddenly finds himself lusting after the girl sleeping next door to the point of acting upon the urges). In the apartment setting, the reason behind the shift in the behavior of the characters could be the same kind of demonic influence, without being the work of one particular individual. It could be a spell done wrong by one of the tenants that got the attention of the demon, I don't know. I am just basically brainstorming here.

@Photo

Sandbox is good. The gm'ed event are more like something to throw in to spice things up a little. I thought about the snow thing once in the past (see above idea) but I think it would be nice to have a group of students. You've got those who are just starting, inclined to party, those who are really serious into their post-grad research. Makes up for some conflicts and also for some social gathering.

MzHyde

I really like the idea of everyone being snowed in, with perhaps the power going out as well. I think you should allow for a variety of characters though. It might get dull if everyone was the same race or the same age or something. There wouldn't be as much to talk about. On the other hand, all college students might work. It could be like a college housing thing.

IrishWolf

Well I'm interested and the snow, haunting, addicts or students themes would increase it.

Cynadea

The college student idea, keeping the age bracket within what Photo suggested, would allow plenty of differences. Single, married, divorced, maybe even more than once... I can also tell you from experience that a 35 years old going to school really doesn't live it the same way than an 18 years old. I am posting this from college, and I am in the higher end of the bracket...

The snowed in part could be just the beginning, to make it what gets people to talk to one another. The student housing building could be quite new, explaining why most don't know much about the other.

Photo

meh?

it doesn't have to be a dorm, just a coincidence. If we all live in a college town, there's no reason to force it onto a campus. Just throwing my two cents in, if they are ALL students, it should be serendipitous.
Apologies and Absences

MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA

Lady Temptress

Lady Dreamer

azzmeister89

I'm so up for this, the fact that the story is not set and all depends on character development and relationships makes it even more fun, when will the character sheet template be up?

JadenMystic

This seems like it could be interesting. Might toss a character in once more info and stuff is figured out.

A/A(update 1/27) Ideas(update 6/15) O/O&Chars(update 2/1)

there are times when a change of direction is for your highest good. It takes courage to change direction. Choose the path your heart agrees with and walk with your head high and your eyes open. Don't be afraid.

Photo

Apologies and Absences

MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA

Cynadea

I am working on a character sheet, but while I do this, I am wondering where I should post the IC thread... I haven't checked everyone's on and off. Any suggestion? I am a rather Light writer, but it isn't all about me ;)

azzmeister89

light groups sounds like the most logical place considering the rp idea, unless were planning on adding dark themes like murder, rape ect latter on

Cynadea

Check this thread for setting and character sheets. Of course, suggestions are always welcome...