The Future of Video Games?

Started by Destiny Ascension, October 11, 2008, 03:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destiny Ascension

So what is next? What will be the major, defining moment in video gaming technology?

We've seen the most amazing games produced over the last few years. Graphics so clean, clear and crisp, we think we are looking at life footage. We've seen the AI get smarter, the gameplay get smoother and more diverse, and deep. We've seen games go from text adventures to completely immersive and life-like conversations, and of course the birth and growth of online play.

So, what will happen next, that just changes the gaming industry? Is it going to be virtual reality, is it going to be full conversation between the player and the AI characters on a complete scale, and completely intelligent, changing to your every move AI? Or will it be technology, that lets you feel the bullet rip by your face, the breeze on your face and even the spray from water...?

I'm amazed at the advances we're making in technology, but I'm always wondering whats next. What does everyone else think?
"Build courage when courage seems to fail, gain faith when there seems to be little cause for faith, create hope when hope becomes forlorn."
Andraste's flaming sword! I know where babies come from!

Revolverman

I think it will be all of them. Games that can make there own plot, VR, feel what happens, and boy, im excited :D

Inkidu

I don't like to play games like these because I still want my personal jetpack, but If I had to venture a guess we're going to see improvements in graphics and audio, smarter programming. Nothing too far out there. Maybe a refinement in touchscreen games and motion gaming. (Seeing as Sony totally dropped the six-axis ball this time around.) Most likely from Nintendo.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Chris Brady

Actually, Nintendo has repeatedly stated that new technology is NOT what they see in gaming trend.  In fact the Wii was supposed to avoid superior graphics and focus on the game play, mostly in controller technology.

Sadly, this isn't what people want.  Oh, yes the Wii is the largest selling game console if you read the market reports. Which IS good for Nintendo, but what they don't care about, nor does it show, is that the Wii is the no. 1 returned console on the market.  People will by and return it more often than any other console unit.  In fact, if I remember, the XBox 360 is the least returned at the moment.

People do NOT want new innovations, they want familiar things, maybe spruced up and better looking, but they like their old shoes.  Which is why you have game lines like Final Fantasy, Grand Theft Auto, Saints Row and all the other lines that are doing well, but aren't new premises.  Some games actually manage to make a head way, but it's mostly for their novelty rather than their longevity.  And that's just it, you can tell a game is 'good' or 'liked' by how many clones and extensions it spawns.

People don't want new things, they want old things, preferably in new clothes or 'skins'.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Lady Annabelle

In the next decade or so, I see on-line taking over.  I wouldn't be surprised if most games become available through download.  Also, you wouldn't be buying the full game, just so that you can buy more content later on.

People would have just one large console that can hold a ton of content and just forgo the entire game shopping business.

However, I don't think gaming retail will die out.  The classic market is alive and well, so I think you will be seeing more independent stores that sell games from the 2600 all the way to the 360.
All About Me  Where Am I?  Pixi's Twin  Miss Marguerite's Wife **True Girl Gamer**

"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; But if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it." ~ Emily Bronte

"My heart beat so hard when I was near him, I feared he could hear my secret longing for him." ~ Destiny Vaestus

Revolverman

Quote from: Chris Brady on October 11, 2008, 04:29:50 PM

Sadly, this isn't what people want.  Oh, yes the Wii is the largest selling game console if you read the market reports. Which IS good for Nintendo, but what they don't care about, nor does it show, is that the Wii is the no. 1 returned console on the market.  People will by and return it more often than any other console unit.  In fact, if I remember, the XBox 360 is the least returned at the moment.

Really? I see no Used Wiis for sale here, and know alot of people who abandoned the 360 because its made so poorly.

Inkidu

You will never go to one console for everything at least in the U.S. monopoly laws and all. I want a whole damn game when I buy one too. I don't like all this downloadable content. Especially when it's important. Clothes here, a map there. Deal with that. I don't see it going any further to the online than it already has anyway.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Inkidu

Quote from: Revolverman on October 11, 2008, 05:42:38 PM

Really? I see no Used Wiis for sale here, and know alot of people who abandoned the 360 because its made so poorly.
Lets not even talk about the PS3. MGS4 was the first game that made them proud to be PS3 owners.

King_Furby

I think in the future games will have editors that are very simple to use. Alot of games have editors but they are complicated and lack proper tutorials. I really hope in the future it will be super easy to edit games.

magnamos

The future will be more cross games. We started off like 15 years ago with pure shooter, pure Adventure and pure Strategy Games. What do we have today? Tactik-Shooter, Action-RPG, Action-Adventure or even 1st Person Strategy Games (Battlezone i.e.). I guess we will get much more of these things. Physics are now hooked to a whole engine instead to single objects. there will be a rise on this one too, bursting the borders of Havok or even Ageia.

I can also see that Enemies will be soon capable of just common actions that any soldier could do. So if you block the door with your fat ass they won't continue to bump into the door with no effect but just kick the door in. If you throw a grenade they won't scream 'NADE!! and just "walk" away. They will take furniture in reach and throw it on the grenade while running in panic, maybe even droping there weapon or jump out of a window. The fall from the first story and the flight through a closed window is still more comfortable than getting blown to shreds by a grenade. I can also see them tipping over tables and assemble furniture and things in the room in a "smart" way to create barricades and cover for gunfights.

Inkidu

The most advanced soldier A.I. I've seen is in the new F.E.A.R. game Project Origin. It's supposed to be good, and F.E.A.R.S. A.I was phenomenal. Now they prioritize when you wipe out the Security guys and clones they'll team up against you because you're the bigger threat. They just don't take it like a bitch either, now when they catch on fire they stop, drop, and roll.

Chris Brady

The issue I had with F.E.A.R. was that the enemy AI could use the terrain against you, but YOU couldn't do the same.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Mathim

I'm not into those fast-paced games so I don't care much for online stuff, especially those FPS genre things. What I'd like to see is a really super-advanced feature that allows the players to take a basic game engine and edit to their own tastes, basically making our own games, but not in a primitive way like RPG Makers 1, 2 and 3. That way, game companies can still make money by creating this, but they don't have to worry about poeple getting these games for free since the real 'games' will be something other people make, using the engine of the game.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

kongming

Quote from: magnamos on October 16, 2008, 02:26:13 AM
The future will be more cross games. We started off like 15 years ago with pure shooter, pure Adventure and pure Strategy Games. What do we have today? Tactik-Shooter, Action-RPG, Action-Adventure or even 1st Person Strategy Games (Battlezone i.e.).

I want first-person puzzle games! Tetris, from the PoV of the piece currently falling! (The walls could have mirrors to show what shape you are, and a little screen to show you what's coming next.)

My prediction for the future is this: more of the present. More sequels, more goddamn online WWII-themed shootan games that are exactly the same as all of the others, and more "Like (insert name of current popular game), but with (minor change)."

Oh come on, prove me wrong. No really, I WANT to be wrong about this.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

Inkidu

Quote from: Mathim on October 18, 2008, 04:38:15 PM
I'm not into those fast-paced games so I don't care much for online stuff, especially those FPS genre things. What I'd like to see is a really super-advanced feature that allows the players to take a basic game engine and edit to their own tastes, basically making our own games, but not in a primitive way like RPG Makers 1, 2 and 3. That way, game companies can still make money by creating this, but they don't have to worry about poeple getting these games for free since the real 'games' will be something other people make, using the engine of the game.
Not going to happen that way in the purer since. If you want to mess around with engines you need to be a game designer. That's just the industry.

magnamos

Quote from: Inkidu on October 19, 2008, 09:55:32 AM
Not going to happen that way in the purer since. If you want to mess around with engines you need to be a game designer. That's just the industry.

That's not completely true. There is the Torque Engine. You can license the Torque Engine and start to make games with it. It's not up to date anymore but you can still do it. Don't expect it to be easy since you need massive knowledge of different Programms but it's still possible. I think that you can license any engine even if you're not a game designer but willing to pay the license fee. I guess the moment you license an engine and start to build a game on it you become a game designer anyway.

Inkidu

But you would have to have game designer-esque knowledge to use it. :D Besides they know a very few people are going to want to make their own game. So right now game design is is profitable luxury service.

Oniya

Quote from: kongming on October 19, 2008, 04:12:49 AM
I want first-person puzzle games! Tetris, from the PoV of the piece currently falling! (The walls could have mirrors to show what shape you are, and a little screen to show you what's coming next.)

My prediction for the future is this: more of the present. More sequels, more goddamn online WWII-themed shootan games that are exactly the same as all of the others, and more "Like (insert name of current popular game), but with (minor change)."

Oh come on, prove me wrong. No really, I WANT to be wrong about this.

Sokoban - from the POV of the box pusher.  Pinball from inside the ball.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Mabmoro

Hmm... Well. Id say the next big innovation will be in world generation. Looking at the indie game Dwarf Fortress, each time you start a new game, it makes an entire world from scratch. Take that, and add graphics and other bells and whistles... and you have a kickass gaming experience. I can see it being possible for not only sandbox games, but for traditional storydriven games, too- if the storyline needs a certain city or person, ensure that the worldgen includes that. And, even better, randomly make the story as the game is made. That way it will LITERALLY be different every time.

Jay

Quote from: Lady Annabelle on October 11, 2008, 05:38:39 PM
In the next decade or so, I see on-line taking over. 

Lady Annabelle hit it on the nose with her first sentence.  The gaming industry is moving more towards online capabilities.  The success of MMOs and games that cater to online multi-player have not gone unnoticed in the industry.  Gaming is the next platform in social networking.  Many long running titles are now having whispers and rumors of future MMOs.  The reason being nigh infinite replayability if done the right way.  The online aspect of many games carries them long after their single player has lost its luster.  Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, Unreal Tournament, etc. their staying power is in the multi-player.  Yes better AI is being developed but it will never replace playing with actual human beings.

Inkidu

Sigh, I think I'm going to have to stop playing games when all-online roles around. I don't think I could take the English butchery...