What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kythia

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 21, 2015, 12:56:33 PM
...Can you translate the gist of it for the non-Polish speakers? What makes her enigmatic and/or bizarre?

The fact that that's not Polish.  She created her own language and speaks only in it.  The only words scholars have been able to translate are vague references to a "crossroad under the seas", a "day of changes" and a date in late 2017.

Oniya

Source on that, Kythia?  That sounds interesting as hell, and I'd love to read more about it.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Kythia on February 21, 2015, 01:02:26 PM
The fact that that's not Polish.  She created her own language and speaks only in it.  The only words scholars have been able to translate are vague references to a "crossroad under the seas", a "day of changes" and a date in late 2017.

Wat.

Poland has a Cthulhu cultist running for president? Have they tried using the Necronomicon as a Rosetta stone?

Kythia

Quote from: Oniya on February 21, 2015, 01:05:00 PM
Source on that, Kythia?  That sounds interesting as hell, and I'd love to read more about it.

Sources are a little hard to find, as any written documentation about her fades after 31 hours, twelve minutes.  It's pretty easy to confirm for yourself that cats can't see her, though, and similarly easy to confirm that if you stare into a fire at midnight chanting a phrase in Sumerian you see her face.

She's pretty fucking enigmatic and bizarre.

Oniya

Damn, I was hoping you were serious.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

TheGlyphstone

So was I. Don't mess with us like that. :'(

Kythia

Huh?  I am (Oniya) and am not (TheGlyphstone) respectively.  Unless they got to Beorning he'll confirm it.  If he denies it, then you'll know they got to him.  Abandon your homes.  Run.

Oniya

Beorning

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 21, 2015, 12:56:33 PM
...Can you translate the gist of it for the non-Polish speakers? What makes her enigmatic and/or bizarre?

I haven't listened to the speech in its entirety, but the snippets of it I've watched gave me the impression that Dr. Ogórek is, well... a bit naive when it comes to politics?

What makes her enigmatic and bizarre? Well, as I said: she just refuses to speak to the media. At all. When she was presented as a candidate by Democratic Left Alliance, she made a few comments... then, the party leader openly hushed her down. Then, she hasn't said anything to the media for weeks - she just conducted some Facebook activity. And then, last Saturday, she made her big speech... but she didn't answer any questions, either. How the heck does she plan on gaining any voters? Just by giving an occassional scripted speech?

There are some commenters suggesting that she isn't allowed to speak by the party that endorses her, as they know that she has nothing to say at all. That she'd fall apart after some probing during live questions. Such opinions may not be true, but her behaviour doesn't really help.

The other bizarre fact about her is that she's a political nobody. She's extremely young for a presidential candidate, she has not held any political offices, she has not been an MP or a local goverment member, she's not even a high-ranking party member of something like that... She's a historian (specializing in Catholic Church history, in fact) and an occassional actress who was an intern and consultant in some goverment institutions and... that's it. I really can't understand what the heck is she doing running for presidency - and why a serious political party is backing her.

On the other hand, she certainly creates an interesting situation. For once, women seem to be really torn about her. I've read female journalists that ask to give her a chance - meanwhile, she really gets a lot of hate from the feminist circles, who basically accuse her of being a painted doll. That her party's plan is to prop up a beautiful woman, puppeteer her and generate some support that way...

Quote from: Kythia on February 21, 2015, 01:02:26 PM

*ROTFLs*

Oniya

Quote from: Beorning on February 21, 2015, 01:31:42 PM
She's a historian (specializing in Catholic Church history, in fact) and an occassional actress who was an intern and consultant in some goverment institutions and... that's it. I really can't understand what the heck is she doing running for presidency - and why a serious political party is backing her.

Well, in the course of trying to get to the bottom of the Cthulhu cultist thing, I did come across a quote that is slightly relevant to this bit.  And of course I can't remember the quote verbatim (thank you, Sudafed!), but essentially - 'Why the fuss?  It's not like the US hasn't had political leaders who started off as actors.'  (Reagan, Schwarzenegger, and Eastwood come to mind.)

Beorning

Quote from: Oniya on February 21, 2015, 01:36:55 PM
Well, in the course of trying to get to the bottom of the Cthulhu cultist thing, I did come across a quote that is slightly relevant to this bit.  And of course I can't remember the quote verbatim (thank you, Sudafed!), but essentially - 'Why the fuss?  It's not like the US hasn't had political leaders who started off as actors.'  (Reagan, Schwarzenegger, and Eastwood come to mind.)

Well, if you ask me, the fact that Schwarzenegger was a Governor *is* bizarre...

Oniya

And an actor as President isn't?  XD

Kythia

Quote from: Oniya on February 21, 2015, 01:50:03 PM

He was Governor of California as well wasn't he?  (Not at the same time, obvi)

Beorning

Quote from: Oniya on February 21, 2015, 01:50:03 PM

True, but Reagan was (almost) before my time, so I can't comment on him...

Oniya

Quote from: Kythia on February 21, 2015, 01:53:07 PM
He was Governor of California as well wasn't he?  (Not at the same time, obvi)

Yeah - Eastwood was mayor of 'Carmel-by-the-Sea', California.

TheGlyphstone

Schwarzenegger is actually a pretty interesting guy all told. His career started as an Austrian bodybuilder, but for all that he is foreign born, his career path is actually almost quintessentially American. He moved to American with his winnings from bodybuilding competitions, and started a business with friends as bricklayers - advertised themselves as 'Specialty European Bricklayers' and targeted the rich+elite market with high-price service. He ran a mail-order business selling bodybuilding advice, tips, and guides. He was actually a millionaire before his first movie role got landed, then he later went to college for a business degree and started getting even richer with investments and real estate. Eventually he used his money to leverage entry into a political career.

Beorning

See, that's what makes the situation with Ogórek different. She really has no achievements of that kind...

Beorning

Ida won an Oscar! Wow!  :o  ;D

Also, the Best Picture goes to Birdman. So... a great win for Hanna Barbera, right?  ;D

AndyZ

QuoteA washed up actor, who once played an iconic superhero, battles his ego and attempts to recover his family, his career and himself in the days leading up to the opening of a Broadway play.

Definitely not what I thought it'd be based on the name.

Was Michael Keaton able to convincingly play a washed-up actor who once played an iconic superhero?
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Beorning

You mean, it's not a cartoon adaptation? Aw geez...

;D

Seriously speaking, I've heard of Birdman for some time now. I've always thought it seemed to be an interesting movie, although I didn't manage to go and see it yet...

And yes, it's kind of ironic that Keaton is the lead character, isn't it?

Lustful Bride

I really feel that The Grand Budapest Hotel should have won more awards.

Dimir

Police in Alabama are on the manhunt for Juan Daniels, accused of running down and killing six-year old boy with his SUV. Just a special notice especially for all of E's members in Alabama.

http://www.wtvm.com/story/28177574/child-struck-by-suv-in-montgomery-apartment-dies
My PM Box is always open for those who wish to chat with someone.
Major fan of Magic The Gathering, Sailor Moon and Pokemon
O/O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221869.0

la dame en noir

Guy gets arrested after allegedly raping a student in attempts to recreate scenes from 50 shades of Grey.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/student-allegedly-raped-woman-while-recreating-50-shades-of-grey-scenes-/531312/
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

AndyZ

...did they not even mention the concept of the safe word in the movie/book?
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Dimir

Authorities in the Czech Republic say a 60-year old, probably mentally unstable man shot and killed eight people in a restaurant, before killing himself.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/24/us-czech-shooting-idUSKBN0LS1OJ20150224
My PM Box is always open for those who wish to chat with someone.
Major fan of Magic The Gathering, Sailor Moon and Pokemon
O/O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221869.0