INTEREST CHECK: City of the Drow (3.5) [LOOKING FOR PLAYERS]

Started by Krayz, September 08, 2011, 05:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medical Miracle

I`ll be posting up my character sheet and House information latter today, also my House name is Lice-Drilloth (Roughly translated: Poison Spiders of Lolth) so you won`t have to keep calling it Miracle`s house. ;)

esclavage

Quote from: Krayz on September 23, 2011, 03:02:40 PM
Hey esclavage, what level are those 60-70 followers?

I just thought about it, but realistically, even a level 1 drow follower would have to be the equivalent of a level 3 follower =/

I forget the breakdown, but I was just going by the chart for Leadership.  So i know 50 were level 1.  Though to be fair, I see followers as flavor text.  Same with the bugbear and kobold slaves since they cannot affect combat in a meaningful way.

I saw pale kings and princes too // Pale warriors, death-pale were they all;
They cried—“La Belle Dame sans Merci hath thee in thrall!”  -- John Keats, 1884 

Writing Drabbles - Sampler Platter
Plot Ideas -  Darkstalkers, League of Legends, Drow, X-Men, Avengers, Pokemon!!!
Posting Order -  Check Here If You Write With Me!

Krayz

MM and I were just talking, and what I'm thinking of doing is just removing the bonus leadership and house-ruling it, either by:

a) Just coming up with some general system for you two to use to assign slaves, drow followers, House members, etc

or

b) coming up with an house-ruled form of Leadership to fit our necessities.

EDIT: Here's one possible solution, for example, replacing the bonus Leadership feat:

Feat: Drow Matron

Drow Matron
Prerequisites: Drow female, able to cast 3rd level divine spells, GM's permission
Benefits: the character is the Matron of a drow noble House. She is the leader of a family of powerful drow nobles, and has a considerable following of commoners beneath her. This feat works almost identically to Leadership, only with adaptations suitable for a drow matron. Firstly, for the purposes of this feat, the character's Leadership score gains a +5 modifier. Secondly, there are no penalties to one's leadership score for Aloofness, Cruelty, Causing the Death of Followers, or having a Familiar, Animal Companion, etc (note that killing cohorts still brings penalties). Thirdly, all of the numbers on the table for Followers are multiplied by 10, but with stipulations on the Followers selected.

1st and 2nd level: These followers are required to be slaves of the following species; orcs, goblinoids, or other suitable species. They are not willing followers, and thus there are special penalties; they must be locked up unless under the eye of a follower of 3rd level or higher, or else they will flee and be lost until replaced.

3rd level and up: These followers must be drow (see Exception below), whether they are warriors, mages, or lesser priestesses. The highest two levels of followers must be devoted to the Matron's family, in the form of daughters, sons, nephews, nieces, brothers, sisters, etc.

Exception: Up to one plus Charisma modifer followers may instead be chosen from a likely retainer taken on by a drow Matron (GM's judgement), so long as its effective level fits within the total followers available (Note: these special followers can be chosen from the top two levels, despite those normally being reserved for family).

The Matron's cohort must be a male drow, who serves as her patron, unless a PC patron is chosen, in which case the cohort simply fills a role as a high-level follower.

AngelicBlade

Right, well I just can't wrap my head around this system, so I'm afraid I'll just have to drop out I suppose, I'm very sorry though, *sadface* this looks so interesting.

Zaer Darkwail

Angelic, if you have trouble to create char how sounds I create one for you and just tell how to use it?

AngelicBlade

Hm, that could work, but that'd make me feel bad for making you do more work. Thank you very much Zaer. That is very kind.

Chloe Milev

Hmm, a city campaign, and an underdark campaign both sound really interesting.  But I don't want to over-commit myself and leave this hanging.  Does anyone need a daughter to chime in once in a while?  I was thinking of reverse-adapting a Pathfinder Oracle to use the 3.5 feats, skills, etc, but with some different abilities than a Favored Soul.  And maybe move into Arachnae and/or Arachnomancer (by taking some Sorcerer and precocious apprentice)
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

esclavage

Not to push you in one direction, Chloe, but I think Medical Miracle would love to have you as one of her daughters.  Your thematic for a character sounds right up her alley.   ;D  But for certain, we'd love to have you aboard and if posting is a concern (as I know it is for me as well), I think just giving Krayz, our GM, some form of carte blance to move our characters when we can't post would probably suffice.  The main thing about a group game is keeping the posts flowing at a rapid rate so interest is high.

Also, I'm all for the ruling on the house feat-Drow Matron.  It seems that it would suited our needs very nicely.  Though I do also want to bring up a point with Krayz regarding building the House.

Will you as the GM be providing any type of House benefits, maybe also with homebrew rulings, for things in our house?  Like having a blacksmith plus smithy means we can equip all our NPC mook followers with weapons without spending gold?  Or being able to get poison at a reduced cost or even a few free doses a week by having alchemists working on synthesizing it along with ways to collect it?  Or other miscellaneous but actual tangible in-game benefits to emphasize our Houses' strengths?

Plot Ideas -  Darkstalkers, League of Legends, Drow, X-Men, Avengers, Pokemon!!!

Zaer Darkwail

Well, I think having alchemist lab and smithy and so forth are suitable to give most least a discount to said items as you self-produce them. You need measure the weekly need of said product towards producers you have.

Say you get around 10 drow recruits or weapons/armor broken in line of duty, a one smith to craft or repair said items per week is measured by smith's skill check + 10 in silvers per day. It can increase if smith can overwork (say ring of sustenance or special magical forge). Also if smith can take -10 to check and still succeed the smith can speed up the process from silver to gp (or double the silver sum per day? Do not recall now off hand what taking -10 did).

Let's take example; A dwarf slave smith who has +15 craft:weapons and armor and also has 8 ranks in profession:Smith. A 5th level expert who has masterwork bonus, int and racial bonuses. You have purchased said slave ring of sustenance and also forge which gives +10 to any armor/weapon crafting checks.

So dwarf has +25 modifier in his both craft checks and he can work 16 hours per day instead 8 hours per day (four hours rest and two hours in breaks and stuff).

Dwarf can craft masterwork items without needing to take 10 to the check. So he can rapidly work on items. He can take -10 to check and double (or change to GP) his crafting efforts. His daily progress is doubled also from overworking. With +15 mod his check averages to craft any standard weapon and armor and check is between 16-35. So with that we get 32-70 gp progress per day with the item (or double of that if -10 penalty would not change sp to gp in crafting).

With that result dwarf can craft most standard weapon in day or two, so five repaired weapons and any metal based armor repair can take couple of days. Now to meet demand of ten recruits or ten broken weapons you need three to five such dwarves. All having ring of sustenance but good side they all can use same magical forge.

Anyways I myself also approve the house ruled matron mother leadership feat :).

Krayz

We'll also need to discuss House income as well; what the Houses make on their various sources of income.

And then figure out the approximate costs of upkeep, based on what Zaer just spat off, lol.

Zaer Darkwail

Here is charsheet I worked for AngelicBlade;

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=332156

A Figther 6/Weaponmaster 6. A master weaponsmith top of that and has good spot, listen and sense motive for a 'figther' type and has dirty trick up to his sleeve in use of Robillar's Gambit and having ring of blinking (and his weapon being ghost touch and so no miss chance from blinking). Hit and Run drow figther variant for slight iniative bonus and add Dex mod to melee damage rolls. Up to Krayz decide does he allow it but I have some confirmation notes about the PrC as it is 3.0 PrC from Sword and Fist supplement;

Ki damage; Works as written. You cannot max critical hit damage with it. Activating it is a free action done whenever weaponmaster hits with his weapon (so max damage would be 24, or 27 vs flat-footed targets). Six times per day.

Increased Multiplier; Works as written. It increases multiplier for critical damage but it needs to be decided when critical hit has been confirmed and before critical damage is rolled. Can do it 3/day.

Superior Weapon Focus; By seeing this feat I would personally rule that weaponmaster levels count as levels being figther when counting does person qualify for weapon specialization or greater weapon specialization.

Superior Combat Reflex; I have ruled it is either 'free combat reflex feat' or if you have combat reflex feat already then it allows add wisdom bonus in addition to dexterity bonus to allowed number of attack of oppoturnities.

Ki critical; Works as written. Either free improved critical feat or that your critical range is improved by +2. So in next level AngelicBlade's char has 15/x2 critical range with his greatsword. Does not stack with keen naturally :P.

Ki Whirlwind; Allows use Whirlwind Attack as standard attack action. So you cannot do multiple Whirlwind Attacks but I myself would allow weaponmaster use it as part of spring attack (spring attack is reguirement for Whirlwind Attack feat needed enter the PrC and it's 10th level ability of the class).

Your okay with above things Krayz?

esclavage

Well, I gave up on a map editor at the moment, but I did draft out what I wanted for component parts in the House of d'Szeossen.

Followers: 1350 (1st level), 130 (2nd level) 70 (3rd level) 40 (4th level) 20 (5th level) 20 (6th level) [1500 slaves][150 drow total] (Based off 25 for Leadership score, using the Drow Matron feat)

House Layout:

Top Floor: Matron's Living Quarters: Bedroom suite, fancy (5000 gp, 1 ss) Bath, fancy (2000 gp, 1 ss), Study/Office, fancy (2000 gp, 1 ss), Torture chamber (3000 gp, 1 ss) [12,000 gp]
      First Daughter's Living Quarters: Bedroom suite, fancy (5000 gp, 1 ss), Bath, fancy (2000 gp, 1 ss) [7000 gp]
      Rest of Floor: Common area, basic x 2 (500 gp, 1 ss), Servants' Quarters (400 gp, 1 ss), Guard Post x 2 (300 gp, 0.5 ss) [2000 gp] = 21,000 gp

Second Floor: Daughters' Living Quarters: Bedroom suite, basic x4 (800 gp, 1 ss), Bath, basic x2 (400 gp, 0.5 ss), Study/Office, basic x2 (200 gp, 0.5 ss) [4400 gp]
         Priestess' Quarters: Bedrooms, basic x 8 (700 gp, 1 ss), Bath, basic x 2 (400 gp, 0.5 ss),Study/Office, basic x 2 (200 gp, 0.5 ss) [4000 gp]
         Rest of Floor: Chapel, fancy (6000 gp, 2 ss), Chapel, basic x 5 (1000 gp, 1 ss) [holds 260], Library,fancy (3000 gp, 1 ss), Library, basic x3 (500 gp, 1 ss), Common area, basic x 2 (500 gp, 1 ss) Servants' Quarters x2 (400 gp, 2 ss), Guard Post x2 (300 gp, 0.5 ss), Dining Hall, fancy (12,000 gp, 2 ss), Kitchen, fancy (12,000 gp, 2 ss), Storage, fancy x2 (1000 gp, 1 ss) [44,500 gp] = 52,300 gp

Third Floor: House Mage's Quarters: Bedroom suite, basic (800 gp, 1 ss), Study/Office, basic (200 gp, 0.5 ss), Magic Laboratory, fancy (3000 gp, 1 ss), Bath, basic (400 gp, 0.5 ss) [4400 gp]
        Weapon Master's Quarters: Bedroom suite, basic (800 gp, 1 ss), Training area, Combat (1000 gp, 1 ss), Armory, fancy (2000 gp, 1 ss), Bath, basic (400 gp, 0.5 ss) [4200 gp]
        Female Drow Quarters: Bedrooms, basic x 10 (700 gp, 1 ss), Bath, basic x 3 (400 gp, 0.5 ss), Training area, Rogue (1000 gp, 1 ss), Alchemical Laboratory, fancy x2 (3000 gp, 1 ss), Alchemical Laboratory, basic x3 (700 gp, 1 ss) [17300 gp]
        Rest of Floor: Dining Hall, basic (2000 gp, 2 ss), Kitchen, basic x 2 (2000 gp, 1 ss), Storage, basic x2 (250 gp, 1 ss), Common area x4 (500 gp, 1 ss), Throne room, basic x5 [holds 100] (2000 gp, 1 ss), Trophy hall, fancy (6000 gp, 1 ss), Servants' Quarters x2 (400 gp, 1 ss), Guard Post x4 (300 gp, 0.5 ss) [27,000 gp] = 52900

Fourth Floor [Ground Floor]: Leaders' Room: Bedroom suite, basic x2 (800 gp, 1 ss) [1600 gp]
              Rest of Room: Barracks x10 (400 gp, 1 ss), Armory, basic x4 (500 gp, 1 ss),  Training area, combat x5 (1000 gp, 1 ss), Training area, Rogue x5 (1000 gp, 1 ss), Dining hall, basic x 5 (2000 gp, 2 ss), Kitchen, basic x20 (2000 gp, 1 ss), Storage, basic x4 (250 gp, 1 ss), Gatehouse (1000 gp, 0.5 ss), Stable, basic x5 (1000 gp, 1 ss), Servants' Quarters x4 (400 gp, 1 ss), Guard Post x4 (300 gp, 0.5 ss), Common area, basic x8 (500 gp, 1 ss), Bath, basic x5 (400 gp, 0.5 ss) [81,800 gp] 83,400 gp

Fifth Floor: Barracks x50 (400 gp, 1 ss) Storage, basic x12 (250 gp, 1 ss), Prison cell x20 (500 gp, 0.5 ss), Torture Chamber x4 (3000 gp, 1 ss), Prison cell (secret) x5 (500 gp, 0.5 ss), Torture Chamber (secret) (3000 gp, 1 ss), Smithy, fancy (2000 gp, 1 ss), Smithy, basic x4 (500 gp, 1 ss), Workplace, basic x10 (500 gp, 1 ss) [gemstones, trapmaking] = 59,500 gp

= Total cost -- 269,100 gp

As for income generation, I was thinking information brokerage was the primary source of income for d'Szeossen.  Perhaps house rule wise, gold can be earned based on a check by Lird'yl using her Gather Information skill as one main source of revenue plus doing an average Gather Information check of drow followers?  Like Gather Information check x 100 gp would be a weekly rate of earnings to represent the secrets that are being sold to various interested parties.

The other secondary sources of income for d'Szeossen I would like to propose are owning a few mines (gold and silver mines) as well as a lucrative slave trade/training.  Normally would involve dwarves and gnomes as skilled workers.  Perhaps a few surface elves for sacrifices.  But one dark aspect is the House deals in drow slaves captured by whatever means and by whoever is willing to pay a premium--which is why there are secret Prison cells and Torture chambers.

Chloe Milev

There's also rules for running a business in the DMGII.  Of course, you'd probably have to tweak that since you'd only be making a few hundred each month I think.

And Orbb'dalharil, Oracle-Arachnomancer, available as a daughter for animal/vermin control, diplomacy, and buffing lots of minions/summons.  She's deaf and haunted by some deceased family (maybe she killed them, maybe they just like haunting her), but she has scent and tremorsense, and you might not hear her coming either.  Even if she turns into a gargantuan spider.

Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

Krayz

1) Never read Pathfinder, so I have no concept of what an "Oracle" is....

2) Does Celestial Armour have a penalty for evil wearers?

3) I don't even know what "soulforged" or "blueshine" entail...

4) Where do you get AC 35 from? I see a total of AC 28...

Zaer Darkwail

soulforged and blueshine could be found in Magic Item Compendium. But off hand I remember blueshine made armor immune to rust and gave +2 bonus to hide.

Anyways Krayz, is Weaponmaster PrC okay or not for AngelicBlade's char?

Chloe Milev

Quote from: Krayz on September 26, 2011, 11:09:46 AM
1) Never read Pathfinder, so I have no concept of what an "Oracle" is....

2) Does Celestial Armour have a penalty for evil wearers?

3) I don't even know what "soulforged" or "blueshine" entail...

4) Where do you get AC 35 from? I see a total of AC 28...

An Oracle is just a spontaneous divine caster, like a Favored Soul.  the Favored Soul is more battle oriented, while am Oracle picks a theme (battle, bones, fire, nature) and gets some abilities from that.  They also have a curse that gives them advantages (deaf, but with Silent spells, see better, eventually get scent).

Celestial armor is made by good, but doesn't give penalties to evil.  I figure one could make an evil version (Abyssal armor), or kill an elf paladin and corrupt her armor.

Soulforged is a crafting template from DMG2.  The templates have themes, a minor situational bonus, and a small discount for specific enchantments.  Pitspwned weapons give +1 to confirm criticals, and a 10% reduction of materials to make it keen, while Pitspawned armor does 1 damage to attackers, and has a discount for something else.  Soulforged has a minor discount for Celestial armor and actually does give a penalty to evil wearers, so I could remove that, or corrupt it for evil.

One of my Nature theme revelations is to use Cha for AC instead of Dex, but still limited by armor, lose when flat-footed, etc.  I just couldn't reflect that in the sheet.

I tried to make it all fit with 3.5, but if it's too much, I can readjust.
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

Snake

'with all this flying around. it sounds like shit's gonna be fun.
And I was thinking about something like playing another matron or at least another char but as a worshipper of Elistraee instead for lawlz. like a matron that got hit with a "sanctify evil" spell that forcibly turns an evil doer good and I THINK punishes them automatically if they do bad.

Krayz

I'd be much happier if you went with something actually 3.5, Chloe.

As for Angelic's char, what sourcebook is the Weapons Master even from? Lol. I know it's 3.0, but I don't know where to look...

And a ruling for House incomes:

Each House/Matron is going to be running the equivalent of three businesses, as described in the DMG2. Their scale will obviously be much larger, and I may come up with additional rulings based on bonuses (number of workers, etc). Basically, propose your three business ideas, and I'll work out the mechanics. Then, if you approve, you take them; if you don't approve, come up with something else. Profit checks for each business every game month (decided by me).

Zaer Darkwail

Krayz, I mentioned once already where from Weaponmaster is from :P. But to say it again; Weaponmaster is from a Sword and Fist 3.0 dnd supplement book.

Chloe Milev

Hmm, okay.  I guess I could replace Oracle with the Spirit Shaman from Complete Divine.  She'll actually have to have Wisdom then and not be as crazy, at least statistically.  I had taken a Pathfinder feat called "Shaping Focus," which is basically like "Practiced Spellcaster," only it adds 4 levels to your wildshape feature, up to your HD.  Is that kosher?
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

Medical Miracle

Sorry for taking so long guys, life has been crazy. :P Anyways, my character is pretty much done (just gotta pick a few more spells) along with my House build, which I laid out much like esclavage did. I'll post everything I've got latter tonight, and pending DM approval I should be good to go.

Phardril Lice-Drilloth
http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=9498

Zaer Darkwail

Looks good altough Neadband should be edited little ;). Also what spell your house insignia gives.

Anyways Krayz told me to take over as GM in this game....I will do my best at it so do not bee too rough folks :P. Anyways I take lots of inspiration on the drow city from Drows of the Underdark sourcebook (perhaps even outright use it; replace the cannon houses with PC ones and edit bit city history reflect on that).

Anyways Chloe Milev, spirit shaman would be fine. The wild shape feat from Pathfinder is not allowed, as I try keep Pathfinder stuff in minimum so folks do not feel to check Pathfinder for feats and stuff to be competent in the game and just depend on 3.5 material. Altough some conversions can be done from 3.0 or one or two stuff from pathfinder. But I myself feel that feat which progresses wild shaping is too much :P. As I feel wild shaping is something very unique feature which asks devotion to stick class which gives it (or class which gives equivalent like warlock invocation).

Anyways I check DMG II business section and give reply somepoint how much gold the business method there gives but it will be lots bigger as matron mothers do not run one but multiple businesses but they are managed as if single business.

esclavage

Medical Miracle, my rival looks great!  ;D. I look forward to scheming with you OOCly and against you ICly.

Also, it is good to hear you are the GM, Zaer.  Thanks to Krayz for going to all the initial trouble and set-up.  At this point, I think it'd be wise to reboot the thread, perhaps when we finalize city design?  Consolidate information and characters to make it easier on people who might like to join.  :-)

And I think it'd also be nice to hear other player's plot ideas.  Like I know I've brought up d'Szeossen and the expanding of mining operations as an idea.  And Snake has brought up the idea of him being a Matron's illegitmate son, which I'd be willing to play as that Matron since it does sound like a fun plot point.  But I would also like to hear other ideas if you guys have them.  Like I think Zaer's character has his work cut out for him since magic and spells is the least represented in my House.

Also, my three businesses are:
1) Secrets and selling of information - the primary source of income.  I imagine this will fluctuate the most to represent the uncertainty and dynamic of selling information.
2) Mining operations - a few gold and silver mines which provide a stable base.
3) Slave training/trading - which takes place on the fifth floor underground.  You have common slaves in the prison cells and torture rooms as well as hidden prison cells amd torture rooms for the slaves we aren't supposed to have. ;D  ;D. And the cream of the crop of the slaves (top ten list) receive the Matron's personal training/breaking on the top floor to prepare them for the auction hall.  >:)

Another idea that came to me, ulthakptah, how do you like the idea of my Matron pitting you against her dread rang consort?  Like open flirtation and favors which in turn will make the current Weapon Master, her consort, feel uneasy?  Get some in House tension going when we start off the game.

Zaer Darkwail

Do you mean with weapon master consort AngelicBlade's char perhaps Esclavage? Still need work him up but he is nearly done.

Anyways I will do reboot but need go now home from school and prepare tabletop DnD session.