Pharma business?

Started by JackWhite, May 14, 2013, 04:14:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackWhite

This time I'd like to hear your ideas about the pharmaceutical industry and if we could trust them. Or would it be better if we trusted governements with these matters because they are here to serve us.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: JackWhite on May 14, 2013, 04:14:59 AM
This time I'd like to hear your ideas about the pharmaceutical industry and if we could trust them. Or would it be better if we trusted governements with these matters because they are here to serve us.

Depends on where you are at.  In the US, where big Pharma pays companies to NOT make generic versions of their meds to ensure maximum profits, gouge the consumers with higher prices anywhere else, find new uses for medication to the point of inflating a condition's occurrence rate till it seems like an epidemic?  Big Pharma has played the US legal system for so long and hard that it would take DECADES to bring them in line. 

Profits are their sole driving goal. Witness the price disparity for drugs in the US compared to ..hell..everywhere. I had a net friend, Angelboy, who would have lived years longer with HIV/AIDS if he had lived elsewhere. I know friends in service who tried to get posted overseas as because a family member was sick and on going drug costs in Europe were far far more affordable. I know several others with Mexican/Canadian family members who would get posted near that border to save on meds.

That isn't even including stories that some research lines were curtailed or shut down because it was more profitable to treat than cure a disease. Or the simple fact that we have entire species of bug resistant diseases due to overuse of medications.

Pay to Delay Case in front of USSC