SB and Unverified members.

Started by Sherona, April 25, 2008, 02:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sherona

So, I am thinking that because Elliquiy has Role Play in its description many people, namely underage children, might likely bring it up on a normal Google search of Role Play. I know that we have had, in the past, underage people sign up and not post intro, and not get approved due to being underage and what not..however they can still see teh Shout Box.

I think this is one of the reasons the SB has been deemed PG-13, or supposed to be. However many people have different views of what is PG-13 (as really, its probably more opinion then any real Fact when it comes to the grey areas) My suggestion is, is there anyway to disable the SB from Unverified? They can't post in it, but can see the goigns on readily, if we removed that from them, and kept it to where those who do not want t turned on they can turn it off, I think it would work well.

Vekseid

I've alternately been thinking of having two shoutboxes, one public and the other private entirely.

Greenthorn

Considering that I myself have probably crossed the line in the SB I think a private one would be an excellent idea.  But in reality then do we even need a public one?  Sure, could be a way to get quick answers, but would not making a quick thread also do that?  I know I definitely read all threads that are not ongoing games/stories.

*ponders*

Sherona

That seems to be a nice little compromise to help solve all the issues with the SB. New Players wont see nothing but a Grope fest going on, and get the wrong impression of what this site is primarily about (I.E. Writing and role playing rather then just cybering) and those of us who wish to avoid the grope fest will still have a place they can make the occasional shout out to our friends.

As well as give those who do enjoy and want the playful banter of such questionable pg-13 issues, a place to do so in private etc. Since not all are able to access the IRC this would seem like a decent compromise :)

The problem I think happening is it would essentially be two spots where one is public and one is private. SB is public and often times gets treated, either by forgetting or simply just getting carried away with what started out as a simple Hug..

Personally I do not see a need for Unverified members seeing the SB since they can not engage in conversation there anyways, it just seems simpler on you if you just denied Unverified people access...I could see that it shows somewhat the community behavior and activity, but I forsee the public sb being forsaken except by the minority of us who want rated-PG chat only, where we can say Hey, how ya doing? Sorry to hear your not feelign well..in short the public SB would be rarely used, and not sure how much of a drain on resources that would be..

Sherona

Quote from: Greenthorn on April 25, 2008, 05:15:12 PM
Considering that I myself have probably crossed the line in the SB I think a private one would be an excellent idea.  But in reality then do we even need a public one?  Sure, could be a way to get quick answers, but would not making a quick thread also do that?  I know I definitely read all threads that are not ongoing games/stories.

*ponders*

Those of you who do enjoy the grope fests that go on in SB now are not the only ones who enjoy being able to chat with others who can not use IRC :) Yeah we can make posts, but the SB is easier then making a post of saying "Hey Elvi, Hope your headache is better" But again, I do have to agree with you that those of us who would utilize a public SB and shut off a Private one would be in the minority it does seem.

Vekseid

Since the front end now links to n AJAX Chat, and I plan to link between them eventually...

A public shoutbox would be a good way for guests to ask questions.

Sherona

Ah yes, if they can chat on it the it would be a very good place to ask questions :)

Greenthorn

Quote from: Sherona on April 25, 2008, 05:20:44 PM
Those of you who do enjoy the grope fests that go on in SB now are not the only ones who enjoy being able to chat with others who can not use IRC :) Yeah we can make posts, but the SB is easier then making a post of saying "Hey Elvi, Hope your headache is better" But again, I do have to agree with you that those of us who would utilize a public SB and shut off a Private one would be in the minority it does seem.

But see my thoughts are not on "majority rules".  So there must be a happy medium ;D  

*wishes she knew more about the innards of a forum* I am so one of those 'problem solver' type people! (I annoy myself!)

Sherona

Quote from: Vekseid on April 25, 2008, 05:29:48 PM
Since the front end now links to n AJAX Chat, and I plan to link between them eventually...

A public shoutbox would be a good way for guests to ask questions.

oo idea

it would also help incorporate the new "guests" into the community so that they get a chance to know us on a more real time basis and we get to know them on a real time basis. Less of the "ok..so..I am the new person....yeah...um.." Awkwardness.

I know myself I am usually busy posting and what not, and can't get to the introductions thread as much as I would liek (none at all now as I am prone to sudden snarkishness) but a Public sb where Guiests could get to know people and what not would go a long way to help that, since its visible even when I am on a specific part of forums.

Elvi

I for one enjoy using the shout box when certain people aren't on making their boarder line and sometimes overtly sexual remarks and playing 'puppy dogs in the kennel'.

I always believed that the shout box was there for those to 'chat', not to have to 'shout' over the top of others smothering people in chocolate and groping everyone who dares to put in an appearance.

As for making threads?
Well...surely making threads would be better put to use for those wanting to grope, fondle and 'play', not as Sherona has said, to ask how people are doing or for someone to ask a quick question.

I would actually question the point of making yet another place for people to 'mess around' in....isn't chat and PM's enough for goodness sake?
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Xillen

The only problem I have with unapproved people being able to shout is the lack of moderation.

In the chat, we occasionally get people in, and say stuff that really has no use there, but it'll just be gone and whoever joins afterwards won't see it.

In the shout box, it sticks around.

As for people that cannot connect to IRC, pretty much anyone able to use the shoutbox is able to connect via Mibbit at the least. The shoutbox is not really an alternative to the chatroom, imho, but a different medium.

Wouldn't 2 shoutboxes be overly clumsy?

Elvi

*coughs*

You have seen the problem I have with chat Xillen....

I have to agree with you on the public shout box thing as well....I can imagine the trolls that it could attract.
We had this problem on a site that I moderated upon and had to make the shout box members only....

strangely made

I personally don't feel that we need two shout boxes, one is enough as long as people remember that it is meant to be PG13.

I have to admit that most of the time I don't have the SB on now, but on the few times I have turned it on the conversation has gone way past PG13. If people want to 'touch each other up' then that is what the Private threads are for, you know the ones that non members can't see.

Occasionally I've wanted to use the SB but being caught in the middle of a Grope fest or major tongue wrestling is too distracting.

Perhaps one answer would be for the sirens to remind people of the PG13 rule and some way to moderate SB posts?

Vekseid

Quote from: Xillen on April 25, 2008, 05:49:17 PM
The only problem I have with unapproved people being able to shout is the lack of moderation.

I would probably give everyone moderation powers over the public shout. Everyone with privilidged or drupal access, anyway.

Xillen

Elvi> Yeah. Didn't really understand it, but it was an issue with the Java client, that I'm pretty sure about. Mibbit is a different client than the one you used and doesn't even require Java.

I kinda agree with Strangely. One box should be enough. If people really want to grope, they can use PM's or chat or IM? Though the SB would need a bit of an upgrade for that, to allow for some decent moderation?

strangely made

Xillen

Access to the rest of the site, other than the forum.

It's used for people that update the blogs and galleries, among other stuff.

Sherona

Quote from: Xillen on April 25, 2008, 06:04:55 PM
Elvi> Yeah. Didn't really understand it, but it was an issue with the Java client, that I'm pretty sure about. Mibbit is a different client than the one you used and doesn't even require Java.

I kinda agree with Strangely. One box should be enough. If people really want to grope, they can use PM's or chat or IM? Though the SB would need a bit of an upgrade for that, to allow for some decent moderation?

This is how it is suppose to be now, but unfortunately it has evolved to a public forum for such things. Now I can see why people might want a spot to do this in, I am not particularly a fan of such goings on but I am very quirky when it comes to touching and what not even online. but yeah 2 SB's seems clunky on the outside, but many of us are being pushed out of the SB due to this behavior that has become the norm rather then an occasional spurt.

Thus said, I would think that the IRC would be a better spot for such playfulness, as one can make their own chatrooms there if I remember correctly and even use the uncensored chats for such purposes..and it requires no refreshing. But some do like teh SB due to simplicity.

Greenthorn

The sirens do remind "us"..especially Bliss...about the pg-13 rules.

I have an opinion on the chat though and why many SB "gropers" don't just go there.

The chat is intimidating to many mostly because there are cliques...and yes, this is immature considering we are all adults, but going into the chat is outside of many people's comfort zone.  I know a few of the regular SB people don't like chat because they have been admonished there also, for less serious offenses at that!  Also, being as the chat -is- more private, females who are only looking for playfulness might be worried that going to chat means "cybering".

I personally can "hang out" in both places, and have fun doing so...and yes in both places I roll my eyes many..MANY times at some antics (and other times I do get caught up in it), but the different "personalities" in both places..do clash!

Still vote for a private SB. Or maybe people should use yahoo conferences or the like.  (I hope I made sense...since I know I am one of the offenders)

Sherona

QuoteAlso, being as the chat -is- more private, females who are only looking for playfulness might be worried that going to chat means "cybering".

But wouldn't a Private SB be ..the same thing?

and I didn't suggest this because of "offenders" I suggested this simply because I know I and others ahve talked about it ebfore, as well as I have discussed it with Veks, about unapproved members who may or may not be of age, can see these things. I suggested this so tha there is a way so that Unverifieds are not immersed in sexually oriented things before they are approved. this is why the sexual content threads are hidden from them in the first place.

Elvi

"The chat is intimidating to many mostly because there are cliques"

And the shoutbox isn't?

I've seen many a person 'ignored' when coming on to say hello, especially when people are fighting over the top of each other to see who can get another 'grope of her tits' in before the other can 'grab her and pull her into a corner to stick their tongue down her throat'....

Xillen

Quote from: Greenthorn on April 25, 2008, 06:12:23 PMThe chat is intimidating to many mostly because there are cliques...and yes, this is immature considering we are all adults, but going into the chat is outside of many people's comfort zone.  I know a few of the regular SB people don't like chat because they have been admonished there also,

Seriously, anything that called for admonishing in the default channel on the chat should surely call for the same in the shoutbox.

Quote from: Greenthorn on April 25, 2008, 06:12:23 PMAlso, being as the chat -is- more private, females who are only looking for playfulness might be worried that going to chat means "cybering".

Like to remind one additional time (and yes, I know Greenthorn knows, but I keep hoping that every time I mention it might help) that that is not the case. #Elliquiy (the chatroom you arrive on on default) does not allow explicit cybering at all. People can take it to other channels or IRC PM's of course, but that's their own choice.

Quote from: Greenthorn on April 25, 2008, 06:12:23 PMI personally can "hang out" in both places, and have fun doing so...and yes in both places I roll my eyes many..MANY times at some antics (and other times I do get caught up in it), but the different "personalities" in both places..do clash!

Seriously, from my point of view, the frequentspammers in the SB are way more clique than the people in the chat. Maybe that makes me part of the chat clique, dunno.

Quote from: Greenthorn on April 25, 2008, 06:12:23 PMStill vote for a private SB. Or maybe people should use yahoo conferences or the like.  (I hope I made sense...since I know I am one of the offenders)

Yes, let's use Yahoo conferences to overcome the accessability and cliche problems that the IRC chat has ??? If you want realtime interaction, use the medium the site offers for that, don't abuse the medium that is not!

Greenthorn

Quote from: Sherona on April 25, 2008, 06:16:53 PM

But wouldn't a Private SB be ..the same thing?

and I didn't suggest this because of "offenders" I suggested this simply because I know I and others ahve talked about it ebfore, as well as I have discussed it with Veks, about unapproved members who may or may not be of age, can see these things. I suggested this so tha there is a way so that Unverifieds are not immersed in sexually oriented things before they are approved. this is why the sexual content threads are hidden from them in the first place.

All in all..I agree about the SB...I really do.  It does get out of hand.  I wasn't assuming you were directing anything about me Sherona, honestly I was just "outing" myself  :)  I do go too far in the SB.  Oh! Another thing...maybe simply put a header over the SB reminding of the pg-13 status!!  I just realized that I only knew about the rule after I had been admonished -in- the SB.  

Hmmm..know what might also be a good idea?  An automated PM (everyone reads their PMs, especially newbies) once one is approved, making them aware of the less realized rules.  Hmmm..and give instructions for how to get into chat if they cannot...and who to contact should they have a problem with chat...and all of those commands with chat...wow I could go on and on  :-X  But then at the end of the PM, have them respond that they have read and understood it.  Maybe even make it "un-deletable"  is that a word?.

Airindel

I'm personally against having one shoutbox, let alone two.  I cannot begin to express the loathing that I have for some of the antics that occurs there, not now, and not in the past. In my humble opinion, it is not being used for the purpose it was intended, and I have to concur with Elvi's points and opinions.
Lips that taste of tears, they say,
Are the best for kissing
~Dorothy Parker

Preferences

Captain Maltese

Well, no more antics in the SB for me. Actually, I doubt I'll even keep it open anymore. After all I might say something and before I knew it, someone would disapprove. If anyone wants my attention from now on, use PM. That will keep everybody happy, right?

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories