News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

In need of a Star Trek TOS geek

Started by Captain Maltese, January 22, 2009, 01:40:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Maltese

I'm building a costume featuring Captain Kirk in TOS, and have little but the below picture to go on for the chosen uniform type. As I have never actually seen a Star Trek episode - the series never aired on Norwegian TV channels - I'm struggling a little piecing the components together. I've found pics of the phaser with the built in microphaser, and the comm thingie, and will buy them off Ebay. I have a few questions though. For starters; has he ever worn the red jacket open? Is there a holster for that phaser? Exactly WHERE does he keep that comm thingie? I've seen a pic of him wearing what I think is the tricoderon a strap, but does he usually do that? Is there any other gear he uses that I'm unaware of completely? What does his boots look like? Is there a cap?

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

WyldRanger

Welp, first of all that the uniform from the movies not the series  ;D

Second of all this has good links to all the uniforms from all of the series:

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Starfleet_uniform

Third, I hope this helps some :)

In addition to that, the communicator in that specific time period became embedded in the badge on the left side of the chest.

Captain Maltese

I've tracked this image to the move The Voyage Home, if I'm not on the wrong track that is ;D

So, no need for a comm after all. One item less to deal with then. Next up: is that a dress uniform, or a work uniform?

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

Captain Maltese

Confusion: what the heck is he wearing here, and why isn't he wearing what Spock(?) wears?

jouzinka

I believe it is a dress uniform. It is a picture from the movie Star Trek: Generations, where Kirk and some of his former staff were invited to a maiden voyage of a new Enterprise. http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Star_Trek_Generations

Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

RubySlippers

Yes in TOS they had long sleeved shirts with a jacket if in a cold climate was expected. Red was for security as in the famed "your a character in the show in a red shirt your going to die" was a fan joke aka a Red Shirt.

This is specifically the link to the TOS era and there are more options to take really seemed Star Fleet liked variety.
;)

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Starfleet_uniform_%28mid_23rd_century-2265%29

I think you want a yellowish brown sort of color for the Command services that Captain Kirk is wearing. For phaers the little phaser was worn in the back I think in the belt the larger one did have a waist holseter I think. The communicator was alsoworn under the belt in back. There were exceptions like if a Red Shirt was on actual military readiness they had a holster and perhaps a phaser rifle. In your case think discrete Kirk rarely carried a standard phaser but would have a small one tucked away. Security people were with him on dangerous missions so they would die first for him and the other important persons.

The movie was NOT TOS, you want the link above for that. And Spock had to hide his ears since it took place in 20th Century Earth so had the headband tied on. That is the picture the link specifi above is for the classic TOS era. Use that for a reference.

Captain Maltese

I'm looking at the yellow shirt as well, but my main focus is on that specific red uniform he's wearing in the pic in the first post. It'll be helpful to know if it's TOS or in a specific movie.

jouzinka

Quote from: Captain Calico on January 22, 2009, 01:52:23 PM
Confusion: what the heck is he wearing here, and why isn't he wearing what Spock(?) wears?

It may be just some leisure attire and since it is a poster I wouldn't suppose the two of them have to be necessarily connected (as in one scene, so they don't have to wear the same clothes). Spock is probably wearing the headband just to cover his pointy ears, I doubt it would have different purpose (as in being part of a usual dress code).

The red uniform was a part of Starfleet's dress code for eighty years. http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Starfleet_uniform_(late_2270s-2350s)

I'm not a TOS geek, but I know I have seen Kirk in it in the Generations. ;)

Captain Maltese

Enterprise A's bridge, used in ST IV, V, and VI

RubySlippers

I'm a Star Trek fan those uniforms are all from the movies, I prefer the mini skirts for women in TOS myself over that. Uhura had nice gams.
;)

The link I posted is TOS above specific.

Captain Maltese

HairyHeretic

Quote from: RubySlippers on January 22, 2009, 02:27:20 PM
I'm a Star Trek fan those uniforms are all from the movies, I prefer the mini skirts for women in TOS myself over that. Uhura had nice gams.
;)

'Trials and Tribbilations', DS9 episode.

Dax in original series uniform. Rawr  :D
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

jouzinka

Kirk was born in 2233 and was killed in action in 2293. Those uniforms were in use from late 2270, that means he wore it for more than twenty years (with a little pause from 2281 to 2284), that means there should be lots of pictures and I don't argue, that those uniforms were worn in those movies.

Kurzyk

The Nexus might have accounted for some of that lost time.

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Captain Maltese

I think I just hit the motherlode ;D 'History of Starfleet Uniforms 2154-2405' http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/gallery/other/uniforms.pdf

Apparently I want the Starfleet command officer's duty uniform, in service from 2278. Now I need to find out why some officers has the jacket flap open a little while other officers don't...

jouzinka

It's just a way of wearing them. Like someone would prefer a shirt buttoned up to the collar and someone else would leave last two or three buttons unfastened.

Captain Maltese

Captain Maltese

If anyone can find a pic of any officer in the red uniform having anything in their belts, then I'd love to see it.

Captain Maltese

On the bottom of this page http://www.startrekuniformguide.com/accessories2.html are shown three holsters. Which of them would be appropriate for 2278-98 or so?

HairyHeretic

None, from what I can see. They're all Next Generation / Voyager era.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Captain Maltese

Bummer. Wearing an officer's uniform but not having a holstered weapon - I'll feel naked!

jouzinka

Well, the phazers are disposed in a "locked" storage on the bridge and they are drawn only when there's a tactical alert... I suppose you are going to a "party" or let's call it a diplomatic mission, I wouldn't think you'd need a weapon. You're not a Klingon after all. ;)

Captain Maltese

Quote from: jouzinka on January 22, 2009, 06:44:57 PM
Well, the phazers are disposed in a "locked" storage on the bridge and they are drawn only when there's a tactical alert... I suppose you are going to a "party" or let's call it a diplomatic mission, I wouldn't think you'd need a weapon. You're not a Klingon after all. ;)

Damn....Star Trek is evidently tamer than I thought ;D

jouzinka

Well, being a Klingon definitely DOES give you an excuse to come armed to your teeth even to Her Majesty's, Queen of Britain, audience. ;D But other than that... it's definitely not a practice of Starfleet officers to buzz around with weapons. ;)