News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

This War Of Mine, Interest Check

Started by Garuss Vakarian, December 02, 2014, 08:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garuss Vakarian

Sort of an odd interest check I know, but for any one not familiar I will explain. This rp is to be a story of survival, and hard decisions. Our characters are the innocents, civilians, and victims caught in a time of war. In war, not every one is a soldier. Many are normal people, scrounging for supplies. Fighting against looters, and thieves. Just trying to keep their head down, covered from the gun shots and mortar fire. To explain further, I must explain what this idea is based off of.

This War of Mine, is a resource management simulator. Where you the player, controls a few survivors. Men and or women, stuck in a city under siege. In a militarized zone, with conflict between a rebel force, and the Russian military. The game is rough, supplies being minimal. People often hungry, sick from the cold, and or hurt from fighting off looters and thieves. The games developers are survivors, from a similar such event. And rather then a war diary, they made this game. A game where players are meant to make hard decisions. Where to spend their resources. Should they help their neighbor who's hurt. Should they steal from or or kill some one for the medicine they need. And, that's what I am proposing here.

This is a simple interest check, seeking those who are interested in a modern, and realistic tale. Where we play every day men and women. Surviving in an occupied city. Where we make hard decisions, and develop our own story. Our own paths through the decisions we make.  Not a direct role play from the game, but one inspired by it's idea, and by the lessons the game try's to teach. This would be an rp on morality, on right or wrong. And how our decisions, both moral and immoral, directly effect every one in both good and bad ways. I would like to keep the group small, at least at first. But am open to a large cast. Especially if we develop a separate survivor community so to speak, for the first to interact with.

To Clarify: This is not a post apocalyptic story. The characters involved are stuck in a city under siege, and in the middle of a war. There is an outside world, there is still radio, and some television. Air drops can happen. And the battle going on through out the city, is very real. Rest assured there is a lot going on.

MagicalPen

I have the game, which is challenging, dark and gritty...so color me interested in this.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

TheHangedOne

I'm interested in the game,  though haven't had the money to pick it up. I am definitely interested in playing an RP based around it, though.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

KurganofPrussia

yuki92

I have played the game and it's great, so count me interested...

Garuss Vakarian

Wow! Im glad to have all your interest! Well, if any one has questions, or ideas on the setting, go ahead and speak. At this time things are open for debate. :) . So, what country? Should this be the result of a rebel force, like in the game. Or a war between two countries? Ie: China invades the US, and they ocupy a state or city.

Edit: Kurgan: Lol, like the av. How fitting, seein as though good ol'Plisken had to escape a militarized zone walled off from the rest of the US.

TheHangedOne

I would say a China-invades-USA setting would be kind of cool. The U.S. isn't exactly getting along with a good chunk of the world right now, so I could totally see a what-if scenario where the U.S. became heavily ostracized and cut off, the USD lost its status as the reserve currency (I believe it is called) of the world, and entered a major economic crisis. Meanwhile, China, who has most of the US debt, decides that since the U.S. has essentially defaulted on payment, their territories will be repossessed as recompense.

Hopefully that makes sense. It's like, two in the morning. I'm not entirely here.
Check out my poet tree!

Garuss Vakarian

Lol, no worries, your point is valid. There is some major problems right now, people would like to think the US dollar has worth but it is a all to real horror how fast it is losing value these days. Though, enough about that.

It is a very good option. But, in interest of adding more ideas to the plate and not simply agreeing to my own example. I would throw in using a different country, like Russia. Not to say it's more interesting, but playing in a different culture from our own (At least in my case.) Has it's charms. I am an American. And although Red Dawn, the original, is one of my all time classic faves. I am open to playing in another culture, and being a character somewhere that is not my norm. If that made any sense.

Oh, by the way. "Wolverines!"

TheHangedOne

Check out my poet tree!

rikka

What about a fictitious country that borders Europe (Russia), Asia (China or India), and the Middle East? Said nation is a melting pot for these three cultures, and at first lived in harmony with each other. But then, for whatever reason (strategic or source of a new resource), external influences from the bordering major powers try to align their respective ethnic groups to their side, and thus cause a civil war. This gives a reason for the bordering powers to send in troops and support to help out to bring about "order" to the country.

Now the heroes can be part of any of the local factions who support their foreign partners and battle it out with the rest. Or they can  be unaligned, those wanting a free and independent nation once again, but in addition to fighting against foreign elements, they have to fight their fellow countrymen who allied themselves with the invaders.
Whatever the outcome, it's on you.

Ons/Offs

Garuss Vakarian

Well, I can see where your going with that idea, But, I think you may have some confusion on the idea, or I am just reading this wrong. ut, no one is a hero, and if any one is a soldier, it's former. IE: Deserter of their side. The point of this rp, is not to be some bad ass, or hero. Or a soldier in a faction. Characters are supposed to be every day men and women, trying to survive. It's the perspective of the innocent people caught in the middle of conflicts. Not the soldiers enacting them, ignoring or other wise forgetting the people they are effecting around them. Not to say all soldiers are bad, but in a war most chose to ignore the fact they are hurting people. Less they go mad.

MagicalPen

Yes - the video game characters are you everyday citizens caught in a war-torn city. Think the current Ukraine crisis...no imagine you're a citizen living in one of those embattled cities.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

KurganofPrussia

Thanks Garuss!!

I have never heard or seen the game, but I am imagining it being a lot like Red Dawn, like you all say.  I am intrigued about it and am interested to see what happens.

I'll admit it, I'm a homer.  I'd vote for it being here in the US of A.  ('Murica).  Plus, it gives me more reference since I can see it being more Red Dawn-ish.

Bloodied Porcelain

I have been planning to get the game but haven't managed to yet. That said, I love dark and gritty war torn apocalyptic stuff so color me interested :)
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

Garuss Vakarian

Porcelain: Thank you for your interest. ^_^ . If you do get the game, I am sure you will like it. On it's own it doesn't have a whole lot of replay ability. It is quite possible to breeze through the game, and make it easy with certain strategies of play, further not much reason to play it past beating it. I do hope it does get longevity though, games like this are likely subject to long modding life spans. So it is quite possible for modders and hackers to add to the game, to make their own scenarios, and even give new mechanics to it.

Pen: Exactly.

Kurgan:
Your welcome, I love the actor so I love the av. In fact, I even like his romantic comedy Over Board, literally not much he can do and fail at. Not because he is a top notch actor, but because he has good old hard ass charm. Ol'Jack Burton easily being his second best character.  But honestly, I love everything Kurt Russel did. Exceptions being the original Love Bug/Kirby movie, and *Shutter* Micky mouse club. His youth was a far cry from the bad ass he became.

Well, sort of like Red Dawn. The intention here is not to be a rebel force or heros however, it's to be people trying to survive. We go day by day, making tough decisions. And trying to help each other live the next morning. So, sort of like Red Dawn in the sense that the town, or city is under military rule. But, not in the sense that we are a part of the war, and are fighting. (Edit: At least not fighting it directly, there is always the possibility of having to fend off looters. Or even fight/hide from soldiers, rebels, gangs, etc.) Sadly, as much as I would love to scream "Wolverines!" I cant. lol

MagicalPen

I think a generic 'English' setting would work just fine.

As for gameplay -w hat were your thoughts?

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Garuss Vakarian

For a concept, look at this trailer for the game. One of the developers was a survivor of war, and this trailer is him explaining his experience, and why it inspired him to make the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gotK5DLdVvI

Pen: Well, Uk is also a possibility. In fact wasn't the United Kingdom subject to air raids during world war two?

Well, I was thinking it would be free form, but with a bit of a role playing game aspect. Nothing with dice I assure you, more along the lines of roles. For example: In the game, a character could be a handyman and use less supplies to get work done. Or good at bargaining to make better deals with those willing to trade. Or Trained in Combat, to be more efficient in guarding the base. Basically, I would add a unique skill kind of set up, where some things require a certain training or expertise to do. At least efficiently.

As for the in game story. Essentially we would be free to create our own paths, introduce npc's and such. I would GM, and for the most part try to create conflict when and where none is found. But essentially, the game would be about our characters and how we react to each other. Or the world around us. We try to get food, supplies, and stay safe. We put ourselves in situations to make hard decisions, and our characters live with the consequence. Such as, denying  little boy medicine for his Mum. Or giving him the medicine. Some may agree, some may not, and it creates a problem. This role play would have to rely on character interaction. Not entirely, but a lot of it.

Wargtass

So much yes. As a veteran from a peacekeeping force this game spoke to me on so many levels. I would love to partake in this endeavor and could even give some unique perspectives on a few things that I have learned from being posted in war-torn areas. I could probably contribute a few interesting scenarios and events if you are ever in need of such, or co-GM if need be.

O/O

mia h

If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

KurganofPrussia

Garuss Vakarian

No, just have been busy of late. I believe theres enough interest, to warrent making a character sheet. I will do that after work. ^^ just 3 more hours.

TheHangedOne

Cool, looking forward to it. Not sure if I have enough mojo for making a character today, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on things here.
Check out my poet tree!

Garuss Vakarian

Well, go ahead and make it whenever you feel comfortable. ^^

Character sheet

(image)
Name:
Job and Skills: (Much like in the game, people can do anything the other can do. But every one is unique, and has that special edge. Essentially, any one can dig a hole, make a barricade, or break into a lock. But, only some can do more specific things. Such as Making guns, or being sneaky. I only ask that people select their skills within reason.)
Fualts: Everyone has their faults. Brooding, quick to anger, Cluastrophobic, etc. Even being Over weight (As in easily winded, and unhealthy. Not obese. You can have a six pack, and be over weight.)

Biography:

TheHangedOne

Okay, here's mine as a work-in-progress. I need to search for a picture, and I also need to know what country and time period this is going to be set in.

(image)
Name: Erik Crowley
Ethnicity: Caucasian
Job and Skills: Chef; cooking nutritious and tasty foods. Home-brewing; making alcohol, which could be a good barter item, way to relax, or even a disinfectant.
Fualts: Right leg was injured in a car accident; he uses a cane, and while he can walk without assistance, he does limp, which slows him down. Running is painful, and difficult, but doable for short periods. Has difficulty with standing for long periods.

Biography:
Check out my poet tree!