Unreliable Player

Started by Aragem, November 13, 2008, 07:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aragem

I have started a game a few weeks ago, and everyone is doing great, however, there is one player who has YET to make his first post in the game. 

The game has been going without his character.  I have sent him PMs asking him if he was still interested in playing and if not, he needs to let me know if not.  He hasn't replied to me. 

Now granted this player has just been approved little after I had set up the players wanted thread for the game.  Maybe he doesn't understand the ettiqute yet, or he didn't realize how more complex the story is than just cybering.

Anyway, what should I do? 

I have three other players who are doing great with their roles, but we sorta of needed that fifth wheel in the story.  I can't keep them waiting and I have a friend waiting for approval that would do great on the part and I know is very reliable. 

Should I just give the part to her?  Give the player another warning?  Wait?  Is there a rule about this? 

Please, advice would be welcomed.

Greenthorn

If no response from the original player then send a PM with an apology that their role will be filled by another...and if they would like to join at a later date you all can brainstorm the possibiity.

Just my opinion...I wouldn't hold up a group game for someone who doesn't respond.

Aragem

I know, that's what I would like to do, but I'm going to feel rotten if he has an internet connection problems or real life problems, but he can at least post a notice in absences forum or in out OOC discussion. 

I'm going to wait until my friend gets approved and if he hasn't replied or posted by then.  She's getting the part, because I know her and she's very reliable and would make the game enjoyable.

Greenthorn

Well that's how it's supposed to be...enjoyable...and the current person should be mature enough to understand no matter what ;)

Aragem

Thanks for the advice.  This is my first time coming across this problem and i never expected it with my first time running a game. 

But I will send him one more PM warning.  Just to say later on, that he had plenty of warnings.

Trieste

Just as a note, please do not assign the available part to an unapproved player until they have been approved.

Approval is always an 'if', never a 'when'.

Aragem

Oh, I understand.  I'm sorry if I am getting ahead of myself.  I really hope she gets approved.  I'll be watching out for her approval or sadly, her disapproval

JakHot

Chose that one who is the most realiable and can be approved earlier.

Haibane

Quote from: Aragem on November 13, 2008, 07:57:07 AM
This is my first time coming across this problem and i never expected it with my first time running a game.
The first group game I organised was a nightmare and it folded within about three weeks all due to unreliable players. It really dented my confidence and ego and left me wondering "how does anyone keep a group game running?" Without me changing anything in my setup style (if anything I became a little more wary of newcomers to the site) my second group game ran very well and my third has taken off like a rocket. Player absences have begun to dent the second one a little but we had a good long run at it before it slowed down.

All you can do, as others have said, is treat everyone equally as responsible adults, and keep open communications: if your missing player has some issue keeping them from E such as ill health or failed internet access then they should understand if you give the place to another player. If they don't, and you tried your level best to contact them, that is not your problem. At all times in this community, its about communication. I frequently communicate with my players even when the game is running smoothly, and posts are coming frequently, both in OOC threads and by PM, just to make sure everyone is happy and no-one's left out.

adventurer

Haibane,

absolutely true!

Honest communication -in rp AND ooc is so important. nd always deepening if devloping over longer time.

Thanks for your thoughts,

A.
"You can discover more about a person in a hour of play than in a year of conversation."
(Plato)

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=21715.0