Any fans of "Once Upon a Time" here?

Started by Aislinn, October 06, 2013, 07:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aislinn

When it was announced a few years ago that essentially the B writing team from "Lost" was going to have this show about magic and where fairytale characters were put into the real world without knowing who they were, I bought into the show hook, line and sinker. I've never regretted it either. I think it's a fantastic show and some of the creativity they show weaving the stories together is amazing. I'm not as excited about the new spin-off coming up but I do plan to watch it and see what happens.

Just looking to see if there are any other fans around that like chatting about this show?
"I am the one thing in life I can control
I am inimitable I am an original
I'm not falling behind or running late
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

Florence

SHIT, the Season 3 premier was like... last month wasn't it?

I was looking forward to it and then I totally forgot about it D:

I marathoned through Season 1 on Netflix, and then Season 2 when they added that. Its easily one of my favorite shows ever, and I really need to catch up with it.

I'm just gonna go ahead and be the first one in the thread to say it: Rumpelstiltskin is one of the greatest characters ever written for anything period.

-now leaves this thread until he's caught up on Season 3- xD
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

JessMc

Hooked. Totally. Utterly. Hooked. And I admit to the tiniest crush on Hook.
How to Make my Cauldron Bubble... (o/o)

"Jump in the water, jump in with me.  Jump on the altar, lay down with me."

The official and venerated Melon Baller of Most Secret Order of the Stone Bonker of the Kakapo

Aislinn

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on October 07, 2013, 01:31:12 AM
SHIT, the Season 3 premier was like... last month wasn't it?

I was looking forward to it and then I totally forgot about it D:

I marathoned through Season 1 on Netflix, and then Season 2 when they added that. Its easily one of my favorite shows ever, and I really need to catch up with it.

I'm just gonna go ahead and be the first one in the thread to say it: Rumpelstiltskin is one of the greatest characters ever written for anything period.

-now leaves this thread until he's caught up on Season 3- xD

Rumpelstiltskin is easily the most complex and amazing character on that show. Of course, they couldn't have cast anyone better then Robert Carlyle. He -makes- that character what it is.

I'm pretty sure we are only two episodes into Season Three...and damn...two excellent episodes. Peter Pan is amazing.

Quote from: JessMc on October 07, 2013, 01:47:39 AM
Hooked. Totally. Utterly. Hooked. And I admit to the tiniest crush on Hook.

Oh, I adore Hook. I just hope he doesn't fall prey to the "Sheriff's Curse"...or more commonly know as "Let's kill off all the cute guys" curse....

I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

Koren

Im a big fan of the show, but still need to watch season 2, as the network overhere in australia did a weird thing and started showing it in the middle of the season and i missed most of the first half, so I have to wait till it comes out on DVD to see it which is in a few days

QuoteRumpelstiltskin is easily the most complex and amazing character on that show. Of course, they couldn't have cast anyone better then Robert Carlyle. He -makes- that character what it is.

That is the most accurate statement though, he is an amazing character with an amazing actor.

Aislinn

Quote from: Koren on October 07, 2013, 03:01:30 AM
Im a big fan of the show, but still need to watch season 2, as the network overhere in australia did a weird thing and started showing it in the middle of the season and i missed most of the first half, so I have to wait till it comes out on DVD to see it which is in a few days

That is the most accurate statement though, he is an amazing character with an amazing actor.

Ugh...that sucks, Koren. I hope that you catch up soon. I know I was chomping at the bit for Season Three to start. I'm curious about the spin off too so I'll probably tune in to see what's up with it. I know the basic premise but I want to see what they do with it.
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

drivebyte

I started watching it, wasn't super impressed, got dragged along to continue and then they did all the characterization with Rumpelstilskin and I was pretty immediately converted at that point. He's certainly not a hero or a role model, but he is a great example of how to write a nuanced bad guy that is both complex and still a bad guy. He really elevates the show beyond the cat-fight central plot. :)

Also, I am pretty pumped for what they're doing with Peter Pan. It is cool to see the not so nice version.

I didn't know about a spin off. What is the deal with that?

Also the special FX budget for the show must be absolutely insane! Which is great because it really shows the power of the small screen.

pixelated

I like the show, though I've only watched the first season. Mr. Gold is a thoroughly fun character, and the main reason why I watch it.

GentleMstr

agreed, they only have played two episodes. Remember On Demand is your friend if you missed them. The spin off is wonderland and to be honest the first episode of that kind of left me flat. I am going to give it a couple to see if it hooks me. I have seen every episode of the original though and think it is great story telling. I can totally relate to Mr. Gold/Rumple. I agree with the actor being great, too. Too bad SG:Universe got hosed so bad and never given a real chance to succeed.
Remember you hold the key to her happiness or her misery. Tread lightly with her heart.

Ok with random PMs

Etherealdreamer

Firstly, it's rare that villains are as interesting and uniquely complex as the 'hero'. I know there are a few exceptions out there, but they're exceptions. The real flair, drama, deception, and deliciously decadent storytelling is usually hiding within a story's main protagonist... That said. I fucking love Mr. Gold, and I love his beauty and the beast relationship with Belle. I'm a disgustingly addicted 'Rumbelle' fan, as they say. I'm sure I've got daddy issues somewhere to blame for this, or a contrary nature, or I just like bad guys. Is that a syndrome? But yeah, I love Once Upon a Time, and I love Once Upon a Time in Wonderland too! But it's this...

Quote from: Aislinn on October 07, 2013, 02:35:02 AM
Rumpelstiltskin is easily the most complex and amazing character on that show. Of course, they couldn't have cast anyone better then Robert Carlyle. He -makes- that character what it is.

... this

Quote from: Koren on October 07, 2013, 03:01:30 AM

.... ESPECIALLY this

Quote from: pixelated on October 15, 2013, 04:21:02 PM
I like the show, though I've only watched the first season. Mr. Gold is a thoroughly fun character, and the main reason why I watch it.

...and this!

Quote from: GentleMstr on October 16, 2013, 01:56:48 PM
I can totally relate to Mr. Gold/Rumple. I agree with the actor being great, too. Too bad SG:Universe got hosed so bad and never given a real chance to succeed.

That I agree with most. :3

For other Rumbelle lovers: http://rumbellefairytale.deviantart.com/
'Cherish friendship in your breast-
New is good, but old is best;
Make new friends, but keep the old;
Those are silver, these are gold.'

VisionBaby

I love "Once Upon a Time", even though I am way behind, I am still on season one.  I do love it very much so, I am hooked on it, and hope to catch up soon but think that may take a bit.  Ah well.  It is nice to see this thread.  O:)

Geeklet

I like it. Season 1 was good. Season 2 was a bit of a letdown for me, and Season 3 has proved to be interesting so far, at least.

JadeArwen

I'm so behind on the show right now its not funny. I don't even know what is happening.

Mathim

Love it. Have yet to find the time to watch season 3 or Wonderland spin-off unfortunately. Also trying to get a group RP started centered around it if anyone's interested (it's in the group RP requests section).
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Aislinn

I'll try not to give away any spoilers in this thread for the people that are behind in viewing...but all I have to say about it is that Henry has the most screwed up family tree evah! =-)
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

RainyHigh

I said it somewhere on here before, but they need to post ancestry charts for everyone to avoid any unwanted incest happening. On the real though.
Rainy's Ons and Offs
Currently not open for solo stories

Mathim

But that would spoil the surprise for future shockers. I like finding out all these bombshells.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

slaveaziza

I love this show. I even started watching Once Upon a Time In Wonderland. I'm head over heels for Hook.

The Golden Touch

Quote from: Aislinn on November 30, 2013, 01:09:31 PM
I'll try not to give away any spoilers in this thread for the people that are behind in viewing...but all I have to say about it is that Henry has the most screwed up family tree evah! =-)

This.

Only one more episode for me to watch before I swap over to Wonderland.

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

Mathim

If I'm not watching the Wonderland spin-off, am I going to miss nice little tidbits from the main series or is it mostly self-contained?

Geeklet

So far it seems mostly self contained. There have been maybe a handful of references to the world of the original show, but nothing of the plot of the original show.

RainyHigh

once upon a time mentions wonderland through the queen of hearts and mad hatter, but once upon a time did not mention alice.  i still wonder how the queen of hearts wound up in the enchanted forest.
Rainy's Ons and Offs
Currently not open for solo stories