Another question regarding terminology...

Started by miscreant, August 29, 2008, 03:17:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

miscreant

What do E users mean by 'game'? Does that refer specifically to an RP written on the forum, or one using rules for combat and stuff like that, or what? I'm a little unsure.

Caeli

Sometimes it means both... different users have different terminology. >.>;

My experience is that usually a "game" refers to a system game, but I would hesitate to put that out as a hard definition, because I've also seen members refer to their freeform roleplays as "games."

Generally, unless the member specifically mentions some kind of system, I would assume that it is a freeform roleplay.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

ShrowdedPoet

I call my RPs stories and my forum games a game. . .I don't do system games so I do not know.
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Maeven

I use the terms interchangeably. I don't really play system games but I call role plays 'games' or 'threads.'  Sometimes I'll say story but usually its: "I am starting a game with so and so."  Or "yeah, that thread died."
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

Moondazed

~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

miscreant

Ahhh okay, thanks. That will save me much confusion.

Haibane

Quote from: ShrowdedPoet on August 29, 2008, 01:06:15 PM
I call my RPs stories and my forum games a game. . .I don't do system games so I do not know.
Hee hee, its nice how people approach stuff differently. To me a story is something I write on my own on my PC. No-one else is involved. Everything I do here that involves a character I've created or borrowed from canon is a 'game'.