Grand Scale Roleplay (Long-Term Multi-Character Free Form RP)

Started by RPGDreamer, January 27, 2015, 04:00:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RPGDreamer

Grand Scale Roleplay

What is it?

I don't know. Is there a better term for it? I've never had a name for it, but now that it's gone, I need one. So I'm going to call it GSRP and define it here. If you read this and are interested in something like this, or think I need to clarify what I want, please PM me with any questions of comments.

Grand Scale Roleplay: A setting is chosen between two storytellers. The cast of characters occupying that setting is defined, then distributed evenly and in such a way to maximize intractability.  With the cast of characters defined, they are dropped into the setting and the story develops onward with little to no planning, letting character dynamics and on-the-go brainstorming dictate the plot.

This style is effective for character-driven and plot-heavy stories. Smut and action take a backseat with me. If either elements happen naturally, I welcome them, but I think the story should be serviced first. I want to create worlds and flesh them out, or take an existing one and tweak it just enough to make it a whole new experience. Don't think of it as simply playing out a story, think of it as inhabiting a world. The action can move when we want it to, and things can slow down to the crawl of everyday life if we want to take it slow.

When it comes to writing the story, there are multiple approaches. We can collaborate closely on points we want to hit with the plot, we can sketch out a rough plot outline and fill in the blanks organically, or we can go in blind and surprise one another. Plenty of options on that gradient and I'm more than willing to work with my partner's style on that.

My Other Hand

Two halves of a whole.

Of course the most important factor is you. Yes, you, storyteller. This is very much co-operative storytelling that requires energy, creativity and a little bit of wickedness. Come into this with the mindset that you are a god in a pantheon of two, and our characters are game pieces on a board. It's important to progress, but it's also important to have fun. You have to be ready to be cruel to characters you love when the plot brings them misery, and also concede victory to characters you hate when they've made a good move. But enough metaphors, let's get to the nitty gritty:

Elements of an RP Partner-

- Post Length: No Requirements. Story comes first. If the scene needs or demands detail, give it detail. If we are in a flowing conversation, don't bog things down with Tolkien-esque fluff.

- On's/Off's: Not a Factor Again, story comes first. Like I already said, smut takes a backseat. If it makes sense for the characters to do, I'm very happy with it. Forge relationships, discover kinks, but keep characters consistent.

- Post Frequency: Minimum 1/week I won't hold anyone to the fire over this, but I prefer faster-moving RPs. I'm even open to discussing and scheduling the possibility of IM as a platform. As long as the story can move at least once a week, I'll be satisfied though.

A World Undefined

Well, where are the plots?

The very next plot could be yours! Do you have a book/movie/show/game/original story in mind that has an interesting setting, or fun characters, or cool magic? Pitch me the idea. Even if I'm not familiar with the world, if it seems interesting as a roleplay I will read the shit out of the wiki or otherwise do my research and learn. I like that kind of shit. However, for the sake of convenience, I'll provide below a list of fandoms I am intimately familiar with that I think could make good stories in case something clicks, and below that I will list the outline for the stories I've thought out.

Known Fandoms

Video Games-
  • Final Fantasy 7-8-9-10
  • Suikoden 3-4-5
  • Mass Effect
  • Dragon Age
  • Metal Gear Solid

Anime-
  • Death Note
  • Naruto
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
  • Log Horizon
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (Brotherhood only)

Books-

• Harry Potter
  • A Song of Ice and Fire

Comics-

• DC Universe

TV-

• Supernatural

Pre-Made Plots

Naruto: Era of the Fourth Hokage
Naruto: Era of the Fourth Hokage

What if on the fateful night that the Nine-Tailed Fox attacked the Hidden Leaf, a certain jonin arrived in time to change the fate of the world...

Prologue

Kakashi arrives in time to confront the Masked Man alongside his master, but soon comes to realize that he and the villain share the same eye. He wants to know how that could be possible, but with Kushina and Naruto vulnerable, it was more important to figure out how to use this to their advantage...

Era of the Fourth Hokage

Minato survives, the Nine-tails is safely sealed back within Kushina and Naruto is unharmed. What happened was tragic and confusing, but the Leaf Village would press on. The world was still recovering from the Third Great Shinobi War, and peacetime has rekindled the animosity between the village and the Uchiha Clan. Managing that while raising a son will be no easy task for the Fourth.

Possible Cast List-
Minato
Kushina
Kakashi
Might Guy
Hiruzen Sarutobi
Itachi
Danzo
Asuma
Kurenai
Anko
Orochimaru