Serious RP: Totalitarianism, military draft, oppression etc. (F for anyone)

Started by Beorning, June 28, 2017, 06:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

Hello!

Lately, I've developed interest for an serious RP touching upon some of my favourite subjects: oppressive governments, totalitarianism, being forced into strict military life etc. And I'd love to find someone to do such an RP with!

I don't have one specific idea here - it's more of a cluster of related ideas. So, here are some brief story seed - of course, they can be expanded, modified, combined etc.!

• In a somewhat bleak, oppressive setting, military conscription still exists - and my character, a young woman, has just been drafted. She's going to spent the next two years as a soldier - which might not be fun, as the setting's military is a quite strict institution, still a little bit fond of blind "cadaver discipline" in soldiers etc. How will my character fare, being forced into being a cog in such a soul-grinding organization?
  • A modification of the previous idea: my character isn't just a random citizen drafted into the military, but a supporter of her country's pro-freedom opposition. She gets drafted into the military as a punishment for her liberal leanings... and her superiors get an explicit order to break her and indoctrinate her into being a obedient, pro-government soldier. Will she be able to resist - or will she be broken?
  • Another idea - in this setting, the military has actually seized power and is currently running the country, having taken over the government, the press, the police etc. My character is female soldier (who might've been drafted or who has enlisted on her own) who is assigned to a military police unit. Now, she'll have to uphold the law as part of institution that can be quite brutal toward suspected offenders - not to mention the anti-dictatorship activists...
  • A bit related to the previous idea - overall, I'd want to explore a situation of a young soldier who really believes in the military she is part of, even though that military has imposed a dictatorship in the country. I'd want to confront this soldier with someone of more democratic leanings, who'd make her question her devotion to her commanders.
  • Or, maybe, how about using another non-democratic government system: theocracy (I'm thinking of a Christian or quasi-Christian theocracy here, more or less - A Handmaid's Tale and similar stuff)? In such a story, my character would be a young woman who gets drafted (or who just naively enlists) into the state's religious police. Now, she'll have to enforce all kinds of religious laws... which might get her into all kinds of ethical conflicts.

These are some story seeds I have... I hope they show the kind of stories I'd like to explore.

As I mentioned, I'd like to play a female character in such a story. I'd be looking for any writing partner interested in taking on some other role in such a story. My writing partner could play my character's friend or co-worker, her superior, someone she has to oppress as part of her duties... It could even be a general narrator role. Whatever rocks your boat! :)

Anyone interested in such an RP? If so, please PM me!