Oregon Trail, Anyone? (Western, M & F, Recruitment Open)

Started by Janeilbennett, November 10, 2012, 01:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janeilbennett

So I dusted off a copy of Oregon Trail 5th I had for a couple years ago. Been playing it on and off this past two weeks. As I'm going through, I find myself partially attracted to the game, as in preparing for a journey and partaking in it. And laughing and not sometimes so laughing at the events that would happen to the party members and wagon. Oh, the dismays of a snake bite, or a thief stealing something, or someone getting a sickness...

So I had this idea of doing a small group RP of some people on the Oregon Trail. I was thinking of having a humorous somewhat light-hearted side to the story, but would be willing to get into adult situations with the cast. We can get serious and gritty with it if we like, however.

I had three ideas to go about this story. One, was just to do something authentic and just show a group of people going to Oregon. Two, have like one character or a group of people from modern times trying to fuss and bumble their way through this strange time to go to the Oregon Trail. Like someone fell asleep at their book in class and dreaming their friends or in a group of strangers in this scenario. Or 3rd, someone playing Oregon Trail and the characters are subjected to the whims of what the almighty player tells them to do (grueling pace, 12 hours a day, meager meals? Would cause quite a fuss).

Was looking for 4 to 5 people. ideally two guys/two girls, three girls/two guys or three guys/two girls. Characters they play can be any age. Please have some knowledge or an inkling of how people acted and dressed in the era, perhaps a splash of history on hand, and you should do just fine. Please be able to post once a week at least; I myself can only post a few times a week, but can put aside a bit more time to post more often. If you do decide to lose interest or not post for more than a week, please let me know.

I'd appreciate any feedback.
Ons and Offs
Janeilbennett is about, can be reached and only in the house when called.
Open to New RP's; please see On/Offs.
"What's with that lame outfit?"
"Hmph. I can say the same about yours."
"Marketing, marketing. Unlike you, my chest gives hopes and dreams to people."
-Macross Frontier

Eleah

Sounds pretty original! I'm interested, just as long as my character won't die of dysentery. ;)

Koekje

I'm up for this, as long as I can avoid having to walk all the way :p
He who acts honestly, hardly ever meets with trouble,
he who speaks honestly, hardly ever escapes trouble.
O'O's

Janeilbennett

Glad to see the interest so far.

Any opinions on the premise? Leaning towards any of the three ideas in particular?

And we just need one more person. :)
Ons and Offs
-Macross Frontier

Sexy Firefly

Sounds like an interesting Concept and I remember playing this game on Floppy disc in grade school! Ha ha! I would be in if the spot is still available.

Koekje

I find myself leaning towards options 1 and 2, the third one doesn't really sound too appealing :p

Option 1 sounds the most authentic, while in option 2 we could have fun with anachronisms (people from the current age in the body of one of these people). I'm curious as to how this RP is going to pan out :)
O'O's

Eleah

I'm always a fan of authenticity. So 1 is probably my favourite.

Lady Temptress

Lady Dreamer

Kdyami

Hey all I'm property of the U.S government and as such I may randomly disappear for a day or two.  I apologize in advance but I'll get back to you ASAP

Janeilbennett

Definitely have room for one more, Kdyami! :)

I will have to admit I might have to go with one or two myself. As Eleah stated that she liked 1, we'll probably go that route. I believe we have five people, so we can get started, I supposed. I guess everyone PM me an idea of what they are thinking for a character. I actually encourage a diverse age range in this RP; just a suggestion, not a requirement.

So far we have:

Eleah
Koekje
Sexy Firefly
Lady Temptress
Kdyami

That's five people plus myself, I believe we're good to go.

While you get your character ideas together, get an idea of a trade or skill in particular they may be good at. Perhaps everyone can cook, but would one hunt or fish better? Be poor but know carpentry? Be rich but not know anything (overexaggerating but I think you get the jist). Also, how would our characters know each other initially? Some household/neighborhood or group that piles up into one wagon?

On a technical note, for that many people, I believe unless you bought food along the way (which did get scare, and is handled differently in the 5th game), the food itself reached the maximum weight limit for one wagon. One person was about 200 pounds flour, 150 bacon, 20 coffee, 20 sugar and 10 salt.  400 x 6 = 2400, just about six hundred shy of the max. weight limit for a large farmwagon. Our party will probably involve two wagons in that case. Just a random observation.
Ons and Offs
-Macross Frontier

Lady Temptress

ok
Awesome. When will the Rp start? Thanks for letting me join.
Lady Dreamer

Janeilbennett

@Lady Temptress, and that you did. Your name is listed in my original post of our current cast. I had just told that to Kydami because we're at the maximum number of people already.
Ons and Offs
-Macross Frontier

Lady Temptress

Could you please Pm me the links to the IC & Character sheet threads?
Lady Dreamer

Sexy Firefly

Janeilbennett

I'll probably have you PM them to me. As Lady Temptress asked about a template. I'm working on one this evening. I'll get it up in a bit. Should be able to respond a lot faster for this week, I'm on Thanksgiving break.
Ons and Offs
-Macross Frontier

Sexy Firefly

Sounds good! I have my character's just waiting for direction! ha ha!

Janeilbennett

Here's the template for now. Fill in the blanks and PM it to me with your username & Character's name in the subject line.

Name:
Immigrant?:
Ethnicity:
Migrant from East Coast?:
Specific Specialized Skill(One max):
(Carpentry, cooking, merchant, hunter, gathering/fishing, doctor/medicine, livestock, sewing, banking, )
Brief Bio:
Financial Status: (Rich, Poor? (Doctor, banking & merchants are rich. Others are usually poor)
Ons and Offs
-Macross Frontier

Eleah

It'd be nice to have the bio's posted here, to perhaps work out tie-ins with other characters? Especially since the group would likely have some knowledge of eachother, at least coming from the same town?

Janeilbennett

Hm, good point, I did not think of that. :O Very well, everyone post their bio here!
Ons and Offs
-Macross Frontier

Koekje

Name: Charles Lapine
Immigrant?: Yes
Ethnicity: French
Migrant from East Coast?: No
Specific Specialized Skill: Hunter
Brief Bio: Fled from France due to religious persecution and fled to the new world in hopes of finding a way to survive and flourish, live the American dream. He fled from Calais and arrived at the east coast, but didn't stay long and immediately hopped aboard the very first caravan that would have him. Hoping to be useful due to the fact that his old job in his hometown of Gastogne was as a forester and that he has retained his skills.
Financial Status: Poor
O'O's

Sexy Firefly

[/img]http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTUzOTU1MTY3MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDkxODY3Nw@@._V1._SX140_CR0,0,140,209_.jpg[/img]

Name: Lilian Carnegie And Rebecca Carnegie
Immigrant?: No
Ethnicity: Angelo Saxon
Migrant from East Coast?: New York
Specific Specialized Skill(One max): Nurse(Healer) Medicine
Brief Bio: Lilian is the Heiress to the Railroad fortune her father invented. She is traveling west with her little sister in hopes to help their father build the railroad further out west. Leaving New York behind is no big loss for Lilian she always thought herself to big for the Newly growing bustling metropolitan and all the open space out west seemed to call her name. She is specialized in healing, being a nurse for the railroad workers. She knows her way around an herb garden and is very good at making polyjuices and salves.
Financial Status: Rich

Kdyami

Name: Dyami Young

Immigrant?: yes and no

Ethnicity: Native American early Celt

Migrant from East Coast?: yes. Lenape lands of south east Canada

Specific Specialized Skill(One max):
Young is a hunter/gatherer. He has lived off the land his entire life. His area of expertise is knowing what you can eat and what will kill you, but most importantly where to find it

Brief Bio: Dyami's great grand mother was one of the earliest Celt raiding parties to North America. Her party was defeated and she assimilated into the Lenape Tribes there, also known as Delaware Indians. And she has a child keeping her lineage alive.  Several generations later Dyami is born. He learns the ways of the Lenape. But also the traditions passed on to him from the Celts. When Dyami turns 18 he leaves the tribe and wanders south with his possessions and takes whatever jobs he can find. He is currently trying to get west and signing up for a wagon train and trading his knowledge of the land with those he meets is the only way he will make it there.

Financial Status: very poor. His horse, his Weapons and gear, the bag on his shoulder with a warmer coat  and blanket roll are his only possessions.
Hey all I'm property of the U.S government and as such I may randomly disappear for a day or two.  I apologize in advance but I'll get back to you ASAP

Janeilbennett

Nicely done so far. :) I'll post mine tomorrow, torn between two characters that are in my head. D:
Ons and Offs
-Macross Frontier

Janeilbennett

Aaand...finals are mowing me down. Apologies for the delay, working on mine right now. Lady Temptress & Eleah, you still need to post your bios.
Ons and Offs
-Macross Frontier