Interst Check: Post-Apocalyptic winter scenario, anyone? [Mul]

Started by Inkidu, October 23, 2008, 12:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

I had originally planed this as a solo game but decided it would probably do better in group. It will be free form in nature. So watch the godmodding. The scenario goes something like this:

Note!: I am American and thus I use Fahrenheit.

Sometime in the near future a comet struck Earth right at the junction of North to South America. Breaking the two continents connection. More gravely it changed Earth into an ice ball in a matter of years. Daytime temperatures never get above freezing, and can be as low as twenty below. A nights however. If you're not sheltered you die as the temperature plummets to twice the lowest of the day.
It snows like it used to rain. Thick sheets of ice cover the ground over masses of snow. The equator is still the warmest place on Earth. That's where all political leaders have retreated and use the military to attempt to regain order over the rest of the world. It's the Southern Confederation. The rest of the world is a lawless amalgamation of scavengers, clans, bandit overlords, slavers, etc.

Underground and well hidden space is a premium as it can be warmed and used to farm. Most food. Despite severe freezer burn might still be salvageable. It is world of ice and guns. The ruthless and the survivor. There are dictators or just semi-subterranean lairs of slave lords, or the solitary den of clans or scavengers. 

Guidelines:

This takes place somewhere five years after the freeze establishes itself.
The location is some names semi-metropolitan are of the U.S. on the East Coast. On the water. (Your den, or palace could be on a super tanker or something.)

I really don't care what you play as. You could be a slave king (Queen) with multitudes of captured people and guards, a despot with a military. A clansmen (woman) or a solitary scavenger. It could be something else I haven't thought of. Go ahead. I will limit the numbers if I have too many despots. First come, first served.

Edit: More archetypes are: Southern Confederation military. Battalion leader, pilot (They have planes still.) Who carshes, or spy anything really. Plus S.C.M. gets better gear and radios. (If you can boost the signal up north.) They're initially better equipped because they're the official military force. Clans are basically scavenging families. They have strength in numbers. They can be NPC or if people want to join that's fine.

Dens: The typical term for any dwelling place. Typically underground or partially to conserve heat. 

Keep in mind the conditions of the world and physical limitations of a human. (Sorry no mutants. Just humans.)

Rating: Van-H to NC-H (No means no however. So don't push something if they don't want it.)   

The List

Shadowheart
Atlus
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

shadowheart

Nice scenario!  I like it.

Then again I like the post apocalyptic and I also like winter, so .. :)

If you have enough interest to start I'll probably take an independent scavenger trying to make a living on the wastes and avoid being captured by slavers, etc.

Inkidu

Quote from: shadowheart on October 23, 2008, 08:40:02 PM
Nice scenario!  I like it.

Then again I like the post apocalyptic and I also like winter, so .. :)

If you have enough interest to start I'll probably take an independent scavenger trying to make a living on the wastes and avoid being captured by slavers, etc.
That was my intent as well. I never got to play one before.
Anyway. I hope I get more interest as well. Can I put you down on the list?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Atlus

I like the setting. I wouldn't mind playing a would be dictator who sees the eternal winter as an opportunity for global conquest.
How profound such profanity can be.

<a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=16848.0" target="_blank">Ons and Offs</a>

Inkidu

Quote from: Atlus on October 23, 2008, 09:08:03 PM
I like the setting. I wouldn't mind playing a would be dictator who sees the eternal winter as an opportunity for global conquest.
Okay there are a few conditions to that. Unless anyone wants to be in your army you are an NPC user. It can be ordered but it's a very juryrigged operation. Like the rest of the world. So you might have a matching flag but not uniforms. Any objections?

Atlus

That's what I had in mind actually. More a rag tag band of scavengers and scoundrels then an actual military. Getting to that point is half the fun. I'd be surprised if they had a flag at this point. They probably just have a name for themselves. Maybe an armband of some sort to denote rank.

<a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=16848.0" target="_blank">Ons and Offs</a>

Inkidu

Just making sure. I don't want all your guys to have AK-47s and grenades. Ragtag :D So should I put you on the list?

shadowheart

That sounds pretty good to me.  Probably your band of fine upstanding folk are the ones my character's on the run/hide from :P

Inkidu

Quote from: shadowheart on October 23, 2008, 09:39:18 PM
That sounds pretty good to me.  Probably your band of fine upstanding folk are the ones my character's on the run/hide from :P
Why would you want to run from fine upstanding folk. Unless your being sarcastic. Damn that's so hard to do in writing! ;D

shadowheart

Atlus

Quote from: Inkidu on October 23, 2008, 09:29:43 PM
Just making sure. I don't want all your guys to have AK-47s and grenades. Ragtag :D So should I put you on the list?

Roger that. Put me on the list please.

Inkidu

Of course I mean warlord actually you might have ten people under grasp (To start) in some basement of some rec center or something. I already have my personal den all mapped out.
You could also have slaves and all sorts of despoty things! :D

shadowheart

and of course you can always try to enslave the lone scavengers out on the frigid wastelands.

*smirks*

Inkidu

Quote from: shadowheart on October 23, 2008, 10:00:38 PM
and of course you can always try to enslave the lone scavengers out on the frigid wastelands.

*smirks*
Obviously. Or a scavenger can take another scavenger ;)

Inkidu

I'd feel better about having at least two more people. That will make it an even five and allow for some extra threads! :D

Atlus

More people is good, but do we have to have extra threads? I've never really gotten the point of making a "Location A" and "Location B" thread. The story usually weaves through both so it just makes navigation that much harder, for me at least.

Inkidu

Quote from: Atlus on October 24, 2008, 06:39:21 PM
More people is good, but do we have to have extra threads? I've never really gotten the point of making a "Location A" and "Location B" thread. The story usually weaves through both so it just makes navigation that much harder, for me at least.
Well I figured, a play field, an OCC and any military home bases, because I thought running your army on the main field might be a bit tricky. At least later it will be. If more people join your army.

Atlus

Ok. Now I just need some recruits. Any takers? You don't have to be a ruthless despot to join, but it helps.

Inkidu

I'd rather have the ability to create more threads if needed, than not. :D

Atlus

Inkidu

*Sigh* Getting people together for these things is always tricky. Do you think we could start anyway?

shadowheart

I can have a character ready pretty quick, already have a general outline.  And sometimes you get more players once a game gets going.

Inkidu

Quote from: shadowheart on October 25, 2008, 05:38:19 PM
I can have a character ready pretty quick, already have a general outline.  And sometimes you get more players once a game gets going.
I'd feel better with one or two more people to start at least. I can put up an OCC thread if well... applicable. :D