News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Additional plug-in won't install in Chrome

Started by HockeyGod, November 05, 2011, 09:38:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HockeyGod

So, I started with IE and hated it because of all the bugs that caused it to be so slow.

I moved to Firefox. Something happened to Firefox that caused me to hate it.

I moved to Chrome.

Now in Chrome I'm getting this "An additional plug-in is required to display some of the elements on the page."

It happens when I reply to posts in E. I have installed the plug-in a billion times. I also have clicked the "problems installing" clink and manually installed the suggested updates

Anyone else have this problem and resolved it?

Autumn Sativus

What is the plug-in you're having problems with?
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

HockeyGod

God only knows - it takes me to Windows media player and a firefox plug-in download for java when I select the problems installing link.

The link I get sent to:

http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?answer=95697&topic=14687&hl=en-US

Autumn Sativus

Check that your Java is enabled, maybe? You may have it downloaded but dormant.

Click on the wrench icon, then select Options.
Select Under the Hood and then Privacy Content Settings.
The Content Settings panel will appear.
In the Plug-ins section, select the Disable individual plug-ins link to check whether Java is enabled
Click on the Enable link (if the Disable link appears, Java is already enabled)
Us against the world

HockeyGod

Wow...thanks for walking me through that! Unfortunately, it is enabled.

Autumn Sativus

Hm. I honestly can't see any reason why Elliquiy would need a Windows Media Player application. I wish I could offer more help but you've got me stumped!

Actually; have you restarted your computer recently?
Us against the world

HockeyGod

I think I'm going to try that again. I did shut down last night and I was having the same error last night. It's probably just a windows update issue that Chrome doesn't like. Annoying windows!

Autumn Sativus

Sometimes Windows Updates solve issues, other times they cause them. xD Good luck alx.
Us against the world

jouzinka

Until the issue gets solved, you might try accessing E with Opera.

I know it's not a solution, but it would at least circumvent the annoyance. :-\
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Vekseid

Elliquiy doesn't use Java and I don't see many .asf links around : / might be another bug in Chrome itself.

HockeyGod

Yeah, I'm just not sure. It doesn't just happen on Elliquiy, it also happens on Youtube and other sites. It only happens on E when I reply.

I noticed on the Java test page the test does not work, however when I download it says that it is already installed.

Stupid browsers.

I guess that leaves me with Opera or Safari. I'm going through them faster than (insert inappropriate simile).

Machete

I was having the same problem for a while.  I installed both the Windows Media Player and Java plug-ins.  The problem persisted even after I'd enabled both of them.  You might want to install the WMP one, enable it, and update Chrome.  I think the update fixed it for me.

Saerrael

This sounded familiar, so I thought I'd toss on my two cents. I actually had a virus that caused the notification, myself. If you haven't yet, run a scan or two?
And Firefox is running smoothly again. The trick is to not update the moment you get noted about an update.

HockeyGod

Thanks for all the help!

So...I attempted to ignore the damn plug-in warning, but couldn't take it any further.

I downloaded Opera.

I couldn't figure out how to import bookmarks from Chrome.

I'm back to Firefox.

I think I will take my computer in for a cleaning and then see if Chrome works after that.

Ugh...computers suck! ;)

Edit: Wait...I remember why I abandoned Firefox, it paused on websites and sucked. Back to Opera...perhaps that will clean my bookmarks ;)

jouzinka

HockeyGod

Yeah, I'm not sure where this "export" is in Chrome. I don't have a "Tools-Export" function in my bookmark manager.

jouzinka

When I open the bookmarks manager (chrome://bookmarks/#1), I see there the BOOKMARKS MANAGER title and a little arrow next to it, with a text that could be Arrange (?) (I'm sorry, my Chrome is localized to Czech).

When you click on it, the lowest option is Export bookmarks as HTML.

HockeyGod

jouzinka

Quote from: alxnjsh on November 07, 2011, 07:47:43 PM
Will you marry me?  :o
Let me check when's the nearest flight... ;D

(That's a YES! ;))