The Hunted, the Hunters, and the Hiding (IC)

Started by bluemoon, January 07, 2010, 12:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluemoon

Mika stood over her prey, clamping onto its neck tightly. The young fawn halted its writhing, its heartbeats slowly fading. The blood trickling from the animal trailed down, onto Mika's beautiful white fur, staining it red. She lifted herself from the ground, dragging her kill to some nearby trees. She only hoped she wouldn't attract other wild 'things' with the scent of blood.

The white wolf dropped her prey beneath a tree, plopping herself down next to it. She started to gnaw on the fawn with her powerful jaws, tearing chunks of meat from its lifeless body. She savored the flavor, it was her first decent kill in weeks. She had been living off small rabbits and squirrels, horribly tough and gamey, not to mention very small. Her taste buds entered a state of ecstasy as she tore another hunk from the carcus.

She was completely focused on her meal, savoring every bite as if it was her last. She savored, but ate quickly, fearing a pack of wolves, or perhaps something that was merely stronger coming along and taking her prey from her. She ate nearly half of the young deer, when her belly was filled out, full at last. She cringed, her blue eyes squinting as she willed forward a trasformation.

Her paws elogated to the delicate hands and feet of a young woman. Her muzzle shortened, and her teeth returned to a more human state. The fur covering her body shortened to a fine, peach like fuzz across her body, revealing lightly tanned skin. Her hair returned to her normal, medium ash blonde hair, reaching partially down her back to her shoulder blades. In the front, a few strands dangled to her collarbone.

She straightened out her hair with her fingers, her icy blue eyes shimmereing in the moonlight. Her slight curves accented her body's shape, she seemed to bathe in the moonlight for a moment, before reaching into an abandoned owl's nest, and pulling out a red silk kimono. She wrapped the dress-like robe around her, the golden embroidering glowing in the moonlight.

"Its nearly a full moon," she spoke quietly, staring into the sky.
~ᴃᴌᵫᵯϕϕɳ~
ⒷⓛⓤⓔⓂⓞⓞⓝ
The Oath of Drake

Sinna Mystika

Selene walked along the empty path through the woods. She needed to find prey, and soon. She didn't know if she could wait any longer. The urge to feed was growing stronger every minute, and she didn't want to attack a traveler. She stepped into the trees and melted into shadow. She would only need something small. A wolf, perhaps. Maybe even just a coyote. She managed to find a set of tracks, deer from the look of them, and sniffed the ground. It wasn't a large herd, and there were some small ones. She would just take one of those. Selene followed the tracks to a small clearing and saw a herd of about ten. Three of them were very young, maybe only weeks old. She sat in a tree to wait for one of the young ones to stray so she wouldn't alert the adults. She hated unnecessary killing. A small fawn eventually stumbled from the herd, following a rabbit into the trees. Selene followed the young deer from the safety of the tree branches until it was far enough from the main herd that it would cause no trouble. She focus all of her attention on it, waiting for the perfect time to strike. She would cause the poor thing as little pain as possible. If it stepped forward, she could just break its neck as she fell. The fawn took two steps, and Selene crouched, ready to pounce. She growled softly and leaned forward.

Suddenly, Selene saw a white blur hit the deer and grabbed hold of the trunk of the tree to steady herself. A large, snow white wolf landed, her prey in its mouth. There was something not quite right about this wolf. Selene sniffed the air. A lycan, she thought. What is it doing here?? I've heard nothing of a lycan in this area. Selene watched from her tree as the wolf dragged the fawn a short distance away and began ripping away chunks of flesh. She wouldn't kill a lycan. They were forced into hiding the same as she was. She would not punish one for taking what was probably the only food in the area. Selene studied the lycan and noticed it was more petite than the ones she had fought. A female?? Curious, she decided to watch the lycan as it fed. It seemed hungry, as though it hadn't eaten in days. It probably hasn't, Selene thought. There was precious little prey in these woods. She would just find something else. This creature had piqued her curiosity, and feeding could wait another hour or two. The lycan devoured half of the deer before wiping its muzzle and standing. It seemed to concentrate for a moment, then its body shimmered and changed.

It is a female!! Selene watched the lithe form as she untangled her hair. She was quite beautiful. The girl reached into a hole in the trunk of the tree Selene was perched in and pulled out something red. Was that some sort of cloth?? The girl unfolded a kimono and wrapped it around her slender body, the kimono shining like fire in the moonlight. She finished tying the sash and looked up at the sky.

"It's nearly a full moon," the girl said. Selene looked at the moon as well. Yes, it was indeed nearing full. Maybe two nights more. It would be an interesting time, the first full moon of the season. Selene looked at the girl one last time, then silently leaped from the tree to the ground. She landed with a nearly inaudible thump and turned to look at the girl. She didn't turn around. Selene turned to walk into the trees in search of new prey. She would not bother the lycan, nor would she stay in the next town long. She would not take from this girl's food source. As she walked away though, Selene stepped on a twig that snapped with a resounding crack. It seemed much louder in the otherwise silent woods. Selene leaped behind a tree and watched.

bluemoon

Mika felt like she was being watched, which was part of the reason for her fast eating. She could smell something faintly, but had troubles distinguishing it from all the other scents flooding to her. She could hear the being, high above her in the trees. It was a very silent creature, but Mika's finely tuned ears could pick up the faint rustling. The being jumped down, making a light thud on the ground. Mika ignored it, if it didn't bother her she wasn't going to bother it.

It wasn't until the twig snapped that she took any real notice, turning towards the sound. Her blue eyes scanned the forest, but did not catch sight of what made the noise. A sly smile crossed her face, a small amount of blood still gleaming on her pointed canines.

"Come out, vampire, I know you're here. I know you've been following me. I must admit, you hide your scent well, and are quite stealthy, besides your blunder with that twig of course," She saw the broken twig near a tree, and knew the being couldn't be far off. A lycan or demon's scent would have been easy to define, but a vampire could be tricky, especially if they were good at hiding it.
~ᴃᴌᵫᵯϕϕɳ~
ⒷⓛⓤⓔⓂⓞⓞⓝ
The Oath of Drake

Sinna Mystika

Selena stepped out from the trees, her hand involuntarily going to her belt to rest just near her daggers. She stood slightly crouched, eying the girl warily and sniffing the air, trying to decide if she meant ill. When the girl didn't attack her, she adopted a slightly more relaxed pose, the hood of her cloak still hiding her face. She took a few steps toward the lycan and stopped. No point in making her feel threatened. Selene noticed that the girl's teeth still dripped blood. She held her hands down and out to her sides, showing she was unarmed, then lifted one hand toward the lycan and began to speak in a lilting voice, trying not to sound threatening.

"My name is Selene Entos. I am indeed as you name me, I hide my scent with a blend of oils meant to match my surroundings. I mean you no harm, and I would hope you have good intentions toward me as well. You hunt well, though you did steal my prey." She smiled. "No matter. May I inquire as to your name??

bluemoon

"Hmm, interesting, your prey? To my knowledge, as I was the one to make the first move, it was my prey," she said, putting more effort into the mine and yours aspect, "However, that aside, I am called Ammi, Princess Ammi. And fear not, as I have no intention of killing something I wouldn't eat anyhow."

Ammi ran her slender fingers through her hair, using them as a make-shift brush. She lifted her arm, wiping away the blood from her lips. A small grin was on her face, her lips a soft pink, exposing the slightest white of her teeth. She knelt to the ground, picking up the rest of the carcus.

"But you know, if you really want it, I'm full, and there is still blood left..." her grin widened as she threw the deer to the vampire's feet.
~ᴃᴌᵫᵯϕϕɳ~
ⒷⓛⓤⓔⓂⓞⓞⓝ
The Oath of Drake

Sinna Mystika

Selene bowed to the girl. Princess or no, this woman had an air about her that demanded respect. She didn't usually defer to people, but she didn't feel like arguing at the moment.

"Well met, Princess. It is true you made the first strike. I ought to have acted faster. I did nearly fall from the tree and land on you, however. You startled me as I was jumping."

She looked down at the half-eaten carcass and debated whether or not to feed from it. She did not want to give the girl something to hold over her, and it wasn't exactly a fresh kill now, but it was better than nothing. She doubted she would be able to find anything else tonight. Feeling slightly ashamed, she looked at the princess apologetically and leaned down to what was left of the fawn so she could feed. As she drained what she could, she fought with herself about what to do. Did she walk away and leave the area?? Or did she stay and try to befriend the girl?? Better let her make the first move, she decided. She didn't want to provoke a fight. Lycans may be a bit slower, but they can hold their own in a fight. She finished feeding and stood. It had taken many years of practice to feed without smearing blood on herself, but she did pull a leaf off of a tree to wipe her lips clean. She pulled one of the vials from her belt and poured a single drop of a dark green liquid on the deer. The body deteriorated quickly, leaving only bones. Normally she would bury her prey, but she had matters to attend to. She returned the vial to her belt and turned to face the princess. She didn't really care what the girl thought of her. She had long ago stopped caring about others' views of her. She lived the life of a wanderer, here one day and gone the next, so it was really of no consequence. Something about this girl intrigued her, though. She was different. Perhaps she would stay around and see what happened. The worst the princess could do was kill her. Selene lowered the hood of her cloak, revealing her inhumanly beautiful face and deep green eyes. She leveled her gaze with the girl's and smiled.

"Perhaps we should start again. I am a wanderer and herbalist, though I can weild a sword as well as any. I was passing through this land looking for temporary lodging. As this is your hunting ground, I will stay no longer than you will allow. I am not fond of battles over food." Selene bowed low, exposing the back of her neck in a gesture that told the princess as long as she was not attacked she could be trusted, then stood and smiled again. She had a feeling that her life was about to become interesting.

bluemoon

(I meant to say Mika, I was posting on another site where my character's name is Ammi XD my bad, and I can't edit my posts yet, so change all cases of 'Ammi' to 'Mika' and that's what I meant...)

A small frown crossed Mika's face as she watched the vampire eat, she was thinking something less of her.

"Do you think me to be stupid?" she said, quite angrily, "I knew that many vampires thought less of lycan, but I thought you might have been different! You seemed to be more intelligent than many of the beasts I have encountered, but then again," she said, her anger starting to diddipate, "I suppose I can't blame you for thinking lycan to be slow, especially looking at many of the human's 'pets' and their ignorant ways," she closed her eyes momentarily, collecting heself.

Her head dropped down a bit, her hair falling into her face. Her eyes flickered open, revealing her icy blue gaze upon Selene. She grinned, an akward grin that would send chills up a human's spine. Her head lifted back up, and she flipped her hair out of her face.

"You may stay as long as you'd like, vampire, I have a small shack not far off that serves its purpose as a shelter," she said, reaching out her hand in a sign of hospitality.
~ᴃᴌᵫᵯϕϕɳ~
ⒷⓛⓤⓔⓂⓞⓞⓝ
The Oath of Drake

Sinna Mystika

"Forgive me, Princess." Selena said as she took her hand. "I did not realize you could see thoughts. I did not mean to imply that you are slow. The few of your kind I have met thus far have been male, and were indeed a bit sluggish. I have never even seen a female. I am sorry I offended you." Princess Mika had a chilling grin, but Selene was used to it. She had seen many besides her own. Selene pulled off her cloak and hung it over her arm, revealing her slender, graceful figure and her skin that glowed faintly in the moonlight. As they walked in the direction of the shack, Selene looked around her. Food seemed to be scarce, which made prey scarce as well. Selene looked at the princess.

"Is this place so ravaged by the fighting that you have no companions?? I have never seen a lycan travelling without at least a few creatures to do its bidding." Selene bowed a bit. "Not that I meant to imply that your kind are tyrants. Merely the ones I have had the misfortune of meeting."

Sinna Mystika

((I assumed as much, which is why I avoided using her name. Just in case.  ;) ))

bluemoon

(thanks XP)

"Yes, many lycan do travel in pairs, or small packs. I however," she looked to the ground, pausing for a moment, "I am without a partner..." she trailed off, wandering into the depths of her own mind, her memories.

She quickly shook her head, coming out of her trance-like state. She leapt over a fallen tree, leading the way to her small shack. It took only a mere 15 minutes to come to the small wooden building, it had obviously been built long ago, perhaps an abandoned tool shed. She stopped a few feet from the building, turning back to Selena.

"The land is not ravaged by the fighting between species, but rather the over-hunting of the gluttonous human kind," she said, her peircing eyes caught on Selena's own, "Anyways, this is home," she turned back to the shed, motioning with her hand in an open gesture.

She led Selena inside, there was not much. A small desk with a lantern on it, a wooden stool by that. Some cushions in the corner of the room created a make-shift bed. She had a blanket over some items in another corner, her private stash of 'things'.

~ᴃᴌᵫᵯϕϕɳ~
ⒷⓛⓤⓔⓂⓞⓞⓝ
The Oath of Drake

Sinna Mystika

Selena looked at the princess. There was something more to her than first met the eye. She walked around the perimiter of the small shack, observing her surroundings. It was more than she expected. She usually just slept in a tree. Selene wondered briefly what was under the blanket in the corner. She removed her weapons and her belt and stacked them neatly in an empty corner. Sitting cross-legged on the floor, she looked up at the princess. She wanted to ask a million questions, which surprised her. She usually didn't meddle in the affairs of strangers. She settled for a few basic questions.

"So, do you mind if I ask why you live here?? You can blend in with the humans well enough to live among them. You say you are a princess. Don't you have royal responsibilities?? They're not looking for you, are they, princess??" Selene cocked her head to one side, temporarily stemming the flow of questions. "May I call you Mika??"

bluemoon

Mika's head tilted slightly at the sudden flurry of questions. Her nose crinkled a bit as the vampire rambled.

"Nobody is looking for me, I am of royal blood, but my time was long ago, my father and sisters have long since ceased living, as have my deciples. No vampire, nobody looks for me," she walked over to the blanket, rummaging beneath it for a moment, pulling out a bottled of aged wine.

"As for humans, their scent alone makes me sick anymore. Why would I want to live among such vile beings, I only go into towns to restock on supplies anymore, its been a good 30 years since I've had to do that though," she said, pulling out two wine flutes in the other hand, "I assume this will be more of your taste," she said, setting the glasses on the desk along with the bottle of wine.

"I live here, because it is quiet, and I no longer need to worry about being caught at the full moon. And, finally, you may call me Mika, 'Princess' is merely a formality, I am not the same 'person' I was back then..."

Mika took her finger, sharpening and hardening her nail. She dug it into the cork cap, twisting and popping it from its lodged position. The wine inside bubbled up from the sudden interaction with air, spilling slightly over the outside of the bottle. She poured the red liquid into the two glasses.

"I know its not blood, but I've heard vampires enjoy their wine aswell," she smiled, holding a glass out to Selena.
~ᴃᴌᵫᵯϕϕɳ~
ⒷⓛⓤⓔⓂⓞⓞⓝ
The Oath of Drake

Sinna Mystika

Selene took the proffered glass with a smile. She did indeed like wine. As a matter of fact, she could eat human food, she just chose not to. While it satisfied the needs of her body, it did not satisfy the need to feed. She said as much to Mika as she thanked her for the wine. Selene took a small sip of the wine, and sighed.

"You have good taste," she said. "I do apologize for the questions. It's been fifty years since I met anyone that piqued my interest." Selene sipped her wine. "Yes. This is good." Selene sat silently for a moment with her eyes closed, then spoke quietly. "I've not seen a white wolf in a long time," she said sadly. "My father introduced me to one when I was young. Not a lycan, but a sentient wolf. When I saw you, I thought for a moment that you were somehow that same wolf." She opened her eyes and smiled warmly at Mika. "I'm sorry, how rude. Have you any questions of me?? Here I am, a guest in your home, and I'm badgering you without telling you anything of myself.

bluemoon

"I don't pry at others past, as it gives me no sort of satisfaction. If there is something you wish to tell me, you may. If you wish on the other hand to remain silent, just aswell," she leaned against the desk, swirling the red liquid in the glass. She took a sip, she saved her wine for special occassions, usually preffering the strength of whiskey over the pallette of wine.

"This wine has been aged for nearly 200 years, I have been saving it," she stared into the glass, "But what's the use in saving something and never using it, right?" she asked, a smile returning to her face as she held up the glass, "To the memories of friends fallen, and the prospect of those anew."

Mika continued to sip her wine, savoring the flavor. She looked around her 'home' examining how dull everything seemed. Compared to her luxurious palace life, or even the life of many of her deciples, this would have been quite innadequate. There were three windows, one on each wall, minus the wall with the door. They seemed very dull, as they had not been properly cleaned in a long time, one was badly cracked. The boards of the shack were poorly put together, the cracks between them allowing the cool autumn wind to enter, sending a chill up and down Mika's delicate body.
~ᴃᴌᵫᵯϕϕɳ~
ⒷⓛⓤⓔⓂⓞⓞⓝ
The Oath of Drake

Sinna Mystika

Selene raised her glass half-heartedly to Mika's toast, but she didn't drink. She stared into the wine as she thought of fallen friends. They were all gone now. No one left but her. Selene sighed, then shook her head as though to regain her bearings. She forced a smile onto her face and looked at Mika.

"I have nothing to say that would be any interest to you, I suppose." Selene watched Mika as she looked around her little home, a look of disappointment on her face. A breeze blew through the shack and Mika shivered. Selene gestured around her. "A little pine brush," she said, thinking of the small shelters she had built when she found no lodging in the cold times. "If you stuff it between the boards and cement it with a bit of mud, it will keep the wind out. It isn't pretty, but it's warmer. I can collect some tomorrow, after I've slept for a few hours. I've been walking all day and I'm tire, else I'd do it now. I will fix what I can, if you like."

bluemoon

"There sin't much need for it, though if you'd like you can. I know vampires aren't really affected by the cold all too much," Mika said, pulling a blanket from the corner, "But would you care for one?" she set the blanket on the desk next to the wine bottle.

She continued rummaging, until she came across a second blanket. She slid one of the cushions over to Selene, it wasn't much, but would serve at the very least as a pillow. Mika herself loosened her kimono, slipping back into her wolf-skin. The white wolf nudged her nose beneath the blanket, curling up among the cushions. She raised her head, staring at Selene.

"You may turn down the lantern whenever you decide to rest," her voice sounded like chimes, and with that, she rested her head on her paws, closing her crystal-like eyes.
~ᴃᴌᵫᵯϕϕɳ~
ⒷⓛⓤⓔⓂⓞⓞⓝ
The Oath of Drake

Sinna Mystika

Selene watched Mika as she changed, admiring the fluid transformation. She waited until the wolf had settled down, then stepped outside to look at the moon once more. No, the temperature didn't affect her in the slightest. She felt cold for a different reason. She thought about the past for a moment, recalling her early childhood. Her mother, defending her against the villagers one day. For a moment, her mother's face showed clearly in her mind, then it was gone. Selene went back into the shack, and sat with her back against the wall. She tucked the pillow behind her head and spread the blanket over herself. She would sleep tonight, and tomorrow she would start her life again.

bluemoon

Mika's night was long, as she dreamt of the past. Everything seemed to only be a dream anymore. Everyone was here one moment, and gone the next, a year of their life equalling almost nothing to her. As her body lay there, her mind dreaming, she started to whimper. Her face was that of a wolf in distress, her paws lightly twitching as she 'ran'. It was like this for much of the night, as she re-visited much of her past life.

Abruptly, she awoke, in her human form once more. Sometimes it happened, her dreams would affect her emotions, bringing on a change. She was breathing heavily, panting if you will, as she looked around the shed. The vampire still lay on the floor, propped up against a wall. They were eerily silent and still when they rested, this aspect of vampires always creeped Mika out.

She rose, the blanket gently falling back to her bed. Her cheeks bloomed into a rosy hue as she realised she was no longer covered. She simply thanked the fact that the vampire was resting, and quickly changed into a wolf. She could tell the vampire had been hungry, and the small amount of blood from the fawn had probably only increased her desire to feed. Mika figured the least she could do was to bring her back a fresh rabbit, perhaps still struggling to get free from her jaws. She slipped out of the shed silently, and into the woods to hunt for her guest. Luckily, vampires were moderately easy to 'shop' for.
~ᴃᴌᵫᵯϕϕɳ~
ⒷⓛⓤⓔⓂⓞⓞⓝ
The Oath of Drake

Sinna Mystika

Selena rose from her rest, sensing that something was different. She opened her eyes and looked around. The wolf was gone. Perhaps she had gone to hunt. Selene stood as she remembered that she needed to feed, and badly. She didn't want Mika wondering where she had gone, though. That could sit badly with someone in hiding. She knew. Selene stepped outside the small shack into the early morning light and inhaled deeply. She picked up some twigs and quickly wove them into a small basket, then began to collect some pine brush from around the house. Whether she could feel it or not, if an animal as magnificent as a wolf needed blankets, the shack must get pretty cold. Selene didn't wander far, the little shack never leaving her sight, as she gathered the pine needles that covered the ground. Mud she would deal with later. Even if Mika said it was unnecessary, it was but a small kindness to repay for the shelter she had been given.

bluemoon

Mika had been sniffing for nearly a half hour, searching for anything, be it small game or not. She finally caught a scent, a hare, on the old side. Normally she wouldn't have bothered, as rabbit meat was gamey to her anyways, and being older would make them extra chewy. But this was different, she was hunting for blood, and she figured that blood was blood, young or not.

The hare was about 20 yards away, nibbling on some wild clover. Mika crept closer, slowly and silently. As the hair raised its head, Mika halted, lowering her body to the ground. The hare looked around for a moment, then decided it was okay to return to grazing on the clover. Soon the clover would be frosted over, and the rabbits and small animals much more difficult to find. As the hare returned to eating, Mika grew ever closer, she was only 5 yards away. This was much closer than she was usually able to get to her prey before initiating the chase, but this was older and not as sensitive to the world around it.

Her front legs shifted her weight back and forth, getting a feel for the earth around her. In a flash, the wold sprang to life, chasing the rabbit only a few feet before she had it caught in her powerful jaws. She held the rabbit just so, being careful not to kill it, but holding tightly so it couldn't excape. She quickly ran back to the shed, bringing her guest the fresh meal. The hare kicked its legs in protest to its fate, but to no avail, Mika was not letting go.

She reached the shed once more, looking around she noticed the vampire gathering pine brush. She made a grunting sound to let her know she was there.
~ᴃᴌᵫᵯϕϕɳ~
ⒷⓛⓤⓔⓂⓞⓞⓝ
The Oath of Drake

Kane Gunlock

(hi I'm going to use one of my regular Characters if thats ok)

bluemoon

~ᴃᴌᵫᵯϕϕɳ~
ⒷⓛⓤⓔⓂⓞⓞⓝ
The Oath of Drake

Sinna Mystika

Selene looked up at the noise, and noticed the hare struggling in the wolf's jaws. She quickly sat her basket down and took the hare gently from Mika's mouth. She held the frightened creature so it would look at her and locked eyes with it. Suddenly, the animal stopped struggling, mesmerized. Selene broke the hare's neck, severing its spinal cord so it would not suffer. She fed from the hare, quickly draining it, and laid it on the ground gently. She stepped inside to grab her vials, and then returned to the hare. She leaned over the small body and poured a drop of liquid on its prone form. As she dug a small hole with her hands, the body decayed and disappeared, again leaving only bones. She swept the bones into the hole and covered them gently, patting the earth down flat, and stood to face Mika, bowing slightly.

"I apologize. I only have to feed every few days with small game. When I manage to catch a deer, I can go for a week or more. I typically do not feed in front of others, as it disturbs them. I will feed elsewhere from now on, if you wish me to."

Kane Gunlock

bluemoon

"Vampire, I am lycan. Do you honestly think your feeding habbits disturb me? I am the brute of the two breeds, more savage in my feeding habits. I know this and am not ashamed, if I wanted you to feed elsewhere I would not have brought you a meal."

Mika walked back into the shed, shifting into her delicate human frame once more. She walked outside, tying the kimono back around her. In the faint sunlight, you could see her lightly tanned skin, and the natural glow seeming to radiate from her. Her blue eyes, though a beautiful crystal in the moonlight, reflected the sun as the clear water of a river would.
~ᴃᴌᵫᵯϕϕɳ~
ⒷⓛⓤⓔⓂⓞⓞⓝ
The Oath of Drake