Manslamming

Started by Garuss Vakarian, January 13, 2015, 08:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garuss Vakarian

Recently, on twitter. There has started a new hashtag. Something feminist's, and social activists have been dubbing Manslamming. Manslamming dictates, men have such a disconnect to reality and women that they would not notice one in their way and walk into her. Or that they have such little care for her wellfare that they do so not wanting to get out of the way. Expecting the women to get out of their own way, or else. This is also the theory that a majority of the time it is the women that gets out of the mans way.

To start, just becouse 'You' feel that YOU are the one getting out of the way a majority of the time. Does not mean all women are the majority of those getting out of the way, nor does it mean men always want the women to. It only means your curtious and get out of the way out of kindness a lot of the time. Again, personal experiance does not account to the many, and if many agree with you it doesnt mean your right, it only means they agree. Even though there is the claim that their findings show a majority of men walk into women, it doesnt mean that the reason they do it is out of sexism. You can not possibly know whats going on in their head, if you call it sexism it only means you feel it was and feel that they were rude due to your sex. A feeling, is not irifutable fact. Further, the people who tested man slamming specifically put themselvs in the way of unsuspecting males and waited for them to walk into them. So, you put yourself standing directly in their way just to prove a point that they wont walk out of your way? Thats simply putting yourself into their way, making you rude. You expect them to walk out of your way when your just standing their watching? And if your walking directly towards them, eyeing them like some hawk, they are to assume you dont notice them and walk out of your way? I know if I seen some women walking directly in my path watching me carefully, id assume they are paying enough attention to walk out of the way. (Further id probably wanna piss my self, since it would be super creepy. Like out of some horror movie. Starring at me, walking into me, giving me a death stare to tell my im bad becouse our chests/shoulders met with force. lol, thats super creepy.)

Also, women walked into women as well. They tested it on girls, and said ya, girls do it to. Well, if women are also doing it why is it 'Manslamming, a problem men have with running into women.' and not 'people slamming, a problem people have with obnoxiosly running into people.'

Is this really something we have to make a big deal? Women, and men both end up walking into each other all the time in a busy street. In fact, most times one is hard pressed to move aside, it is difficult when there is either a busy street to one side, a building to the other, and people all in between. Not to mention the fact, that most people are on auto pilot. They are not paying attention to where they are going. They are thinking of their day, whats in the future, some book they are reading. Becouse they walk that same route every day. It's the same reason most car accidents happen  close to peoples home's. People are so used to their route, they pay little attention. This is by far no good excuse, it is actualy a terrible habbit within human nature. But, it is an apt reason for why people walk into each other while walking.

Ever been to new york? I have, it is CRAZY! People of all races, sexes, whatever just going every where all the time. Traffic's typically a nightmare, and the side walks are typically bustling crowds that would sooner walk all over you (LIterally) Then allow you to slow them down from getting where they need to go. Everyones on a schedule, and everyone is to self obsorbed to care about you being in their path. Let alone my auto pilot theory. Even at night it tends to be crazy busy. People walking into each other all the time without even a passing phraze, and even if words exchange it's. "Stupid cunt!" "Fuck you you stupid mother fucker." And for a guy like me it was kind of unnerving. Men women, of all collors being rude, mean, all around nasty or distant. In one big crowd. I tried saying sorry to everyone, but time just ticks by in fast foreward, before you can even mouth out an s, he or she is gone or already said fuck off. Id say if there really is a problem, it is that every one in this world are to some level self obsorbed and or crude. I agree there is slamming going around, but it is not exclusive to men. A majority is toxic and rude in the population these days, that I can not argue. But it includes a lot of men and women, not a majority of one over the other. And to try to prove or assume it is a majority of one over the other is not trying to solve a problem, it is simply placing blame and to place blame does not solve issues it starts more.

This is simply my opinion though, whats yours?

Lustful Bride

MY head hurts. @_@ This all makes no sense. (Possible cause im reading this at two minutes to midnight)
It seems people find new ways of being idiots every day.

Oniya

In my experience, it's the ruder person that refuses to give way.  That's something that transcends gender.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Garuss Vakarian

Well, my arguement is why make it a gender issue? I agree it's rude, but everyone is rude at least one point in their day even if they dont know they were. So why make it an issue at all? Let alone of gender. You cant make people less rude, you can only teach people how to be mature and handle it. Ya know? So I agree, it does trancend gender.

Lustful: I couldnt say it any better myself. But doese it ever make sense to make a mountain out of a mole hill? For it is just that, making something big out of something so small.

Pumpkin Seeds

Honestly, googling this topic has turned up far more men talking about manslamming then women.  So from my perspective this seems to be something that people wanting to make feminism seem ridiculous are pushing and holding up.  A woman simply tested a hypothesis with a rather unscientific method, which is easily debunked with criticism.  There is basis for this to hold up in regard to men dominating the space around them more than women, along with some evidence showing women being more apologetic than men.  So men colliding more often with people during a sidewalk passing would make sense and is probably true.  Do I think men intentionally collide with others, not really.  I do think men anticipate having to be less aware of their surroundings and are less fearful of provoking another person with their collision.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Oniya on January 13, 2015, 10:59:27 PM
In my experience, it's the ruder person that refuses to give way.  That's something that transcends gender.

Nods, as a discussion tactic it makes headlines or at least creates attention. Also, some people really get high on the feeling that "Yay! I'm able to tell everyone right here that X is a criminal/nuthead/sexist idiot - and potentially  the whole world can read I said it if they find their way here - or to a page where someone has repeated what I said!"  :-(

Instant gratification.

When it comes to "grabbing" physical space in public - in a room, in the street, in a shop etc - no, I don't think that's very linked to gender. Maybe it was in some places back in the day when men were really dominant in public places, but these days no. I regularly get to see women coming down the pavement with big prams, two or three ladies shoulder to shoulder and moving slowly, in a way that pushes everybody else into the street. Or clustering together with some buddies at a place inside the supermarket (or just inside a slim revolving door entrance at a hospital, a public library or some other public place) where it's already a bit cramped and it's plain just about everybody needs to pass through.

You're faced with the choice of either pushing yourself close and saying "Would you mind moving to the side a bit, people need to get through here?" or something a bit more informal (anyway this is considered both rude and fussy, not to mention sexist sometimes) or trying to edge past on a narrow sideline. I've tried both of those at different times, and often the reaction is just that the band huddles together a bit closer, like a buffalo herd, and seals itself off from outsiders, deliberately not listening but not offering any free space either. When you finally manage to make them register, the response is a surly maidish "oh!" that sounds like you're meant to understand that you acted in bad taste and intrusively by not letting them keep filling that spot forever. Sorry for sounding irritated about it, but these kinds of things are prime examples of grabbing a public space, signalling "You cannot NOT make us stand here!" and making it difficult for others to get close enough to sort it out - and around here I see women doing it every bit as much as men, or more.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

kylie

Eh.  I'm not a big fan of the course terminology has taken with say, "mansplaining" and now this.  It just strikes me as a rather cheap term, whatever's actually going on or not.  Although I haven't been looking into the chatter on either one a whole lot. 

At the same time, I can see where some of the impetus comes from.  It makes sense if you compare with other patterns that have long been recognized (and sometimes researched).  Men have rather persistent ways of dominating conversations, if you look through the sociolinguistics readers.  They also tend to rather forcibly "occupy" a great deal of space with their bodies (witness: men sitting on buses).  They also have generally greater bulk and a certain more generalized emphasis on assertiveness and aggression (collision sports, war games and numbers tracked into top of the market-share-seizure management pyramid, crushing handshakes, muscle building imagery)...  And so it isn't wholly shocking that some people get upset at how often they feel trampled, particularly when they happen to be smaller and taught to be more evasive and "nice."  Yeah, sure, one may start to suspect that gee, there is a certain social pattern to how people seem to feel this is okay or unavoidable and natural.

Whether or not that is called some particular man "being" (implication: actively) sexist, doesn't change the fact that these are still social avenues readily available to men in general  and quite a few, quite often are observed acting in a way that in some way happens to take advantage of it.  And while I don't claim to have ESP, I also think it may well be possible to guess at some behaviors and situations that make it appear much more likely that a particular guy might be riding along in that mode, whether meanly or presumptively or just unthinkingly.  Have the people using this word done much that sophisticated in terms of behavioral analysis?  I haven't read em; I have no idea.

consortium11

Quote from: kylie on January 14, 2015, 12:29:30 AM
          Eh.  I'm not a big fan of the course terminology has taken with say, "mansplaining" and now this.  It just strikes me as a rather cheap term, whatever's actually going on or not.  Although I haven't been looking into the chatter on either one a whole lot.

It's starting to annoy me more than the -gate suffix being attached to anything with a hint of a scandal.

That said, of the recent ones I think "Manspreading" is my "favorite" (and I use that term very loosely). As anyone who uses public transport regularly knows (and I commuted during the London rush hour for years...) a lack of consideration for fellow passengers is pretty much a universal issue and certainly not one restricted by gender, age, race or pretty much any other factor. Yet now we "know" (again using the term very loosely) that it's actually an example of toxic masculinity when done by men as they asset their male dominance and is a reminder by men to women that thy are subservient and lesser in the way it has echoes of the way men spread to control society (such as boardrooms, reading lists and panel shows).

Valthazar

Quote from: consortium11 on January 14, 2015, 05:36:16 AMThat said, of the recent ones I think "Manspreading" is my "favorite" (and I use that term very loosely).

"Womanipulation" is my favorite, but that's clearly sexist.  ::)

Manslamming seems like a slightly-humorous type of rant I would expect to see in an urban-leaning magazine for some laughs.  Kind of like "24 Reasons Husbands Can’t Be Trusted To Do Anything Right."  The fact that outlets like HuffPo and NYmag are actually covering this as a legitimate feminist issue is probably leaving feminists everywhere shaking their heads. 

Is feminism's bad press really all that surprising?  Concordia University feminist Alex Manley (who from what I am aware is a man himself) even criticizes charitable donations to No-Shave November by going so far as to claim that "prostate cancer is a hallmark of privilege. Deal with it."  Apparently cis-white males can't do anything right.

edit: Forgot link

Beorning

Quote from: Valthazar on January 14, 2015, 10:44:39 AM
Is feminism's bad press really all that surprising?  Concordia University feminist Alex Manley (who from what I am aware is a man himself) even criticizes charitable donations to No-Shave November by going so far as to claim that "prostate cancer is a hallmark of privilege. Deal with it."

*reads the article*

Oh, for crying out loud..!

consortium11

Quote from: Valthazar on January 14, 2015, 10:44:39 AM
Manslamming seems like a slightly-humorous type of rant I would expect to see in an urban-leaning magazine for some laughs.  Kind of like "24 Reasons Husbands Can’t Be Trusted To Do Anything Right."  The fact that outlets like HuffPo and NYmag are actually covering this as a legitimate feminist issue is probably leaving feminists everywhere shaking their heads.

It's got to the stage where if I now see what I would once automatically assume was an obvious parody/satire, albeit not necessarily a good one (such as "fart rape") I now google the names mentioned to check it's not actually a serious movement... despite the fartrape example being from an obvious parody/satire blog (again, albeit not necessarily a good one).

Quote from: Valthazar on January 14, 2015, 10:44:39 AMIs feminism's bad press really all that surprising?  Concordia University feminist Alex Manley (who from what I am aware is a man himself) even criticizes charitable donations to No-Shave November by going so far as to claim that "prostate cancer is a hallmark of privilege. Deal with it."  Apparently cis-white males can't do anything right.

Movember in general has had the "sexist" (or at least "privileged") card thrown at it for ages. Once you get past the traumatic racist history of beards and their inherent gender issues you then have to face up to the fact that it's "sexist, racist, transphobic, and misinformed" and is part of ""a damaging stream of gender politics""

Oniya

Hey, women have ways that they can 'observe' No-Shave-November, too.  ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Lilias

Quote from: Oniya on January 14, 2015, 11:57:54 AM
Hey, women have ways that they can 'observe' No-Shave-November, too.  ;D

NaNoWriMo makes that very easy. ;D
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Oniya

On a more serious note, I am reminded of a quote from Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomeyer.  'Do not mistake politeness for lack of strength.'

Garuss Vakarian

QuoteHonestly, googling this topic has turned up far more men talking about manslamming then women.  So from my perspective this seems to be something that people wanting to make feminism seem ridiculous are pushing and holding up.  A woman simply tested a hypothesis with a rather unscientific method, which is easily debunked with criticism.

I dont think it is an attempt at making Feminism look bad. I dont think any one 'wants to.' Since men can be feminists to, it doesnt matter if more guys are making this a subject then women. It doesnt make them a bunch of guys trying to secretly discredit Feminism, it makes them confused feminists with bad priorities. I dont think their gender being male makes them less valid as feminists, neither of us being at all equipped to debate wether or not they are truely feminist or not, since we dont actually know them all personally.

Basically, it is possible it's a bunch of people trying to discredit, but just becouse it is possible dont make it true, and further just becouse they are guys does not mean that they are automatically fakes trying to make feminism look bad. I think we have gotten to a point where gender shouldnt matter in terms of belief, being a male doesnt make you any less a feminist if you are. Further, being female doesnt make you any more a feminist then you are. Other wise, if one is stating men have no place in feminism or that they are fakes, or that they would never know. Then It's a no true scotsman fallacy.

Valthazar:
QuoteConcordia University feminist Alex Manley (who from what I am aware is a man himself) even criticizes charitable donations to No-Shave November by going so far as to claim that "prostate cancer is a hallmark of privilege. Deal with it."  Apparently cis-white males can't do anything right.

See, thats something I have a big problem with. We have breast cancer awareness! I ware pink whenever it's around. Becouse cancer needs awareness. I also partake in no shave november. Why is it more important for womens cancer then men's? Both is equally dam important if you ask me! All cancer is an issue. But awareness for mens prostate cancer is frowned upon as a privilige for sexist white priviliged males? Thats not very fair. But none of this is Not(Edited) the subject at hand. :P sorry.

No feminisms bad press is not surprising. It doesnt matter how much of a minority the bad ones are. These dumb feminists are the loudest, and becouse no one says stop, they dont. Edit: You can do everything right and no one remembers, anything wrong and no one forgets.

Oniya

Quote from: Garuss Vakarian on January 14, 2015, 05:39:20 PM
I dont think it is an attempt at making Feminism look bad. I dont think any one 'wants to.' Since men can be feminists to, it doesnt matter if more guys are making this a subject then women. It doesnt make them a bunch of guys trying to secretly discredit Feminism, it makes them confused feminists with bad priorities. I dont think their gender being male makes them less valid as feminists, neither of us being at all equipped to debate wether or not they are truely feminist or not, since we dont actually know them all personally.

I don't think the point is that 'men are the ones talking about "manslamming"', so much as 'women aren't talking about "manslamming".'  If this behavior is a thing that feminists are concerned about (either legitimately or not), then you would expect to see most of the louder ones waving it around.  It wouldn't make the behavior any more valid as a 'feminist-specific' concern (I still hold the opinion that if you deliberately run into someone when it's avoidable, you are rude), but considering some of the behaviors that have been criticized by the loud branch of feminism, it's curious that they aren't all over this one - unless they saw how easily the experiment could be debunked.

Garuss Vakarian

Probably doese have to do with how easy it is to get debunked. Though I wont pretend to understand what feminists classify as worth time or not, since some things that are not worth ones time is an issue. (Like gaming. As in the games themselvs not talking about the ruder players there in.) None the less, I agree, it's rude in general not to move when it is avoidable. But some times it is not avoidable. Since, typically there is a street with cars on one end, a house or building to the other, and people all in between. Depending on how busy things are it could simply just be an unavoidable ocurence that either party is sorry about. Though aside for me I hardly ever hear sorry uttered.

Though in my personal experiance when a feminist makes a mistake it is comparible to gamers. In the way that, even thogh an many do and say mean spirited or rude things. The rest refuse to acknowledge it, by saying nope thats not real, or nope they are not real gamers. (I hate the no true scotsman fallacy. >_< ) Same goes to feminism, I only ever see denial towards any shady actions or practices there in. Then again no one ever wants to admit fualt, let alone the fualt of a cuase they believe in. Or at the very least they defend what they believe in by saying the person at fualt is "Not a real christian." "Not a real gamer." "Not a real Musslim." 

To explain real fast: The reason it is a fallacy is due to the fact you can not say some one is "Not a real" anything, is becouse no individual person can dictate or classify what it means to be a real 'something' when it applies to what some one can identify as. Any one can be a feminist, a gamer, a catholic, or a muslim. Hence, The no true scotsman fallacy. If you identify as such, then you are. Therefor one can not say. "These assholes are not real gamers ok!" if they are playing the game then they are a gamer. As long as they identify as such. Or, "These terrorists are not true musslims." They identify under the Quran, so they are. Even if their impressions of the book is very dark and literal. (There are passages such as, "Those whom do not follow the name of Muhamad must be tuaght the name of muhamid. If thou none believer refuses to accept his blessed name, then they must fall upon the sword in muhamids name." Something along those lines. :P )

Caehlim

Quote from: consortium11 on January 14, 2015, 11:53:17 AMMovember in general has had the "sexist" (or at least "privileged") card thrown at it for ages.

One of the articles linked there (The Movember as microaggression) had an amazing rebuttal as its top comment from Pete Bombaci the Country Director for Movember Canada.

Peter Bombaci's comment
Hi Ralph,

Pete Bombaci here, Country Director for Movember Canada. I’ve read the above and I want to clarify many of the inaccurate points written about Movember here.

You say that “what once started out as a harmless campaign has become sexist, racist, transphobic, and misinformed.” This is simply not true.

As you admit in your article, Movember isn’t just about raising money. It’s about having conversations. The magic of Movember is that it can unite different people from all sorts of socio-economic backgrounds under one flag: men’s health. You don’t have to be rich to wear a Mo, and you don’t have to be cool to change the world.

Thanks to our amazing Mo Bros and Mo Sistas, we are changing the world, and that includes changing standard definitions of masculinity. Movember isn’t about men being super tough or butch, though many Mo Bros and some of our Mo Sistas are so. Movember isn’t about growing the biggest, butchest, moustache. It’s about growing the best Mo you can personally grow. It’s about personal bests, about getting engaged in men's health, about knowing yourself and taking care of yourself and your communities.

The Movember community is a global one that cuts across race, class and gender because cancer and mental health illness cuts across race, class, and gender. The idea that white cisgendered men shouldn’t raise funds for prostate cancer because they aren’t the ones most affected by it is antithetical to Movember vision. Making sure our fathers, brothers, uncles, lovers, friends, neighbours, coworkers feel safer being vulnerable talking about and taking care of their health, their bodies, and their mental health can only make life better for ALL OF US.

Some folks might argue that Movember isn’t a space for transpeople. This only speaks to the stigma and lack of understanding that transpeople face on a daily basis. We are well aware that some Mo Bros don’t have prostates. Whether it’s because a Mo Bro’s cancer treatment required the removal of his prostate, or whether he simply wasn’t born with one, we don’t discriminate against our Mo Bros for not having a prostate. For us, the truest mark of a Mo Bro is his willingness to change the world. The only binary we recognize is Movember and the rest of the year.

To your claim that Movember is sexist, I would say that Movember was and continues to be inspired by women’s health movements. Beyond that, women are a vital part of Movember as team leaders, teammates, and supporters. Women are substantial fundraisers. Women are, traditionally, the gatekeepers of family health and can be experts at one of our main goals: getting conversations about male health going. SinceMovember is about moustaches, we don’t typically encourage women to grow outtheir leg or armpit hair, though we’ll never turn down a nicely styled Mo,regardless of who wears it. We have one Mo Sista this year from Ottawa who is sporting a Mo every day for the entire month of Movember. Who would dream of trying to squash that kind of determination?

An important face to note here is that you represent Movember as No Shave November. Taking comments from No Shave November participants and portraying them as the opinions of our Mo Bros and Mo Sistas is inaccurate and disingenuous. Movember is not No Shave November and No Shave November is not Movember.

Movember suggests that folks show solidarity with each other by joining the Movember journey, in whatever form that looks like for you: go to a MOVE event; talk to your friends about their health, grow a Mo, or if you can’t, don’t. However, the Mo will always be our King because ultimately, our awareness program is powered by the growth of a new moustache and the obvious question that follows – why the moustache? Because our community members want an explanation for our change in appearance, a new Mo, those with Mo’s arm themselves with knowledge, provided by Movember, about men’s health. The conversations started as a result of
the moustache help to educate, breakdown stigmas, and ultimately change
behaviour. From this program we know that 90% of Movember
participants spend time thinking about improving their health, 75% discussed their health with family, friends or colleagues during Movember, and 66% of participants have had a recent general check-up. Globally in 2012 Mo Bros and Mo Sistas started 2.7 billion conversations about men's health and Movember. We know that pairing this program with funding of world class men's health research and programs helping men live with and beyond cancer and mental illness will help to truly change the face of men's health.

You have also misrepresented our recommendation on PSA testing. Movember suggests: Men should talk to their doctor about prostate cancer testing. There are advantages and disadvantages to PSA testing. Understand the prostate cancer risk factors, discuss these with your doctor and decide if prostate cancer testing is right for you. You can find this here - http://ca.movember.com/mens-he.... You’ll
also find a tool about the PROS and CONS of testing that we developed with the Societe internationale du urology. As Movember has grown we have worked with medical professionals to evolve our men’s health information and the materials available on Movember.com have been approved by national and international experts in the field.

It's honestly disappointing to see Movember misrepresented in
this way Movember. McGill continues to be one of the top supporting teams
and the University has been an integral part of Movember funded research in Canada and on an international basis. We’re very proud of the community there and the work they have done. To date Mo Bros and Mo Sistas in Canada have raised an astonishing $13.5 Million for mental health.

If you would like more information about Movember and or would like to talk through some of this you can call 1-855-4GROWMO and ask for Mo Bro Pete.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

Angie

I'm loving this thread, and I wanna toss my two cents in-I'm so sick of being the bad guy. At first glance, I appear to be a cis white male, which apparently makes me fuckin' Sauron. I have gotten so much shit for being male. And quite frankly, I'm sick of it. Of course, that's not the end of the story. There's a reason that "Liege" tag is there, and that's because I have gender dysphoria. Unfortunately, as if the problems of being born in the wrong body (gross oversimplification, work with me here) weren't enough, the same people who were attacking me for the horrible sin of being born white and male don't fucking stop-they get worse. Being a male with gender dysphoria apparently makes me a hybrid of Sauron and Voldemort. But all I want to do is make the world a better place. It sounds so stupid, I know, but I just wanna make the world a little brighter. I just wanna make people smile, make people happy. But no, I'm male, and trans, we can't fucking have smiles, can we?

I'm just rambling, really, and this is kinda the dam breaking at the end of a long, long line of sadness. I know there's people out there who support me, and a lot of them are right here on E. So if you took the time to read this, thank you-I'm just happy to know that someone's listening.

And on the topic of manslamming-are you mad? You can't just barge through people these days. Someone will call the cops for assault. You should see what I do-I do interpretive dance through college hallways so I can get where I need to be!
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Pumpkin Seeds

Well, for one this is not a reference to a behavior of football tackling people on the street.  This is simply referring to a collision of people, typically a casual bump or jostle of one another.  On any busy street or during any event this happens frequently enough.  There would be no notification of the police.  As pointed out by others, the woman discussing this did an impromptu experiment where she simply refused to be the one to move out of the way and she noted that the majority of people colliding with her were men.  Now, this experiment can only be called an experiment in the loosed interpretation of the word and would not even pass muster for an undergrad exercise in the social sciences.  That being said, I can imagine that this activity would likely reach the same conclusion if done again and again for reasons previously stated.

Judging just from this thread and the few articles I’ve seen with a google search, this does seem to be people’s jumping point to bash feminism.  Honestly even this thread has divulged down to people complaining about how they feel feminism treats them rather than discussing “manslamming.”

Remiel

Pumpkin Seeds has a point.  I can see "Manslamming" being an example of Straw Feminism.  To be fair, there are probably fringe elements of feminism  who see Manslamming as Yet Another Example of the Oppressive Patriarchy Trying to Keep Women Down.  But that doesn't mean we should paint all feminists with that brush. 

Angiejuusan and Garuss, perhaps you could start another thread more germaine to the topic you really want to discuss, something like, oh, I don't know, "Feminism vs. the Straight Cisgender White Male?"

Valthazar

Quote from: Remiel on January 15, 2015, 08:21:31 AMPumpkin Seeds has a point.  I can see "Manslamming" being an example of Straw Feminism.  To be fair, there are probably fringe elements of feminism  who see Manslamming as Yet Another Example of the Oppressive Patriarchy Trying to Keep Women Down.  But that doesn't mean we should paint all feminists with that brush.

Manslamming is being "affirmatively" discussed as part of a broader feminist narrative in prominent outlets like Huffington Post, NY Mag, and The Atlantic - which would imply that at least a constituency of feminists find significance in it.

I would argue that it's part of a recent trend of issues which have polarized feminists.  For example, even in the Matt Taylor thread, openly feminist posters were split on whether his shirt was a legitimate feminist issue, or whether it was simply giving bad publicity to feminism.  The latter variety of feminist would have been quick to label the Matt Taylor controversy as an example of Straw Feminism - despite the fact that many feminists would disagree.  I think it's similar in this instance as well.

consortium11

Quote from: Remiel on January 15, 2015, 08:21:31 AM
Pumpkin Seeds has a point.  I can see "Manslamming" being an example of Straw Feminism.  To be fair, there are probably fringe elements of feminism  who see Manslamming as Yet Another Example of the Oppressive Patriarchy Trying to Keep Women Down.  But that doesn't mean we should paint all feminists with that brush.

Manslamming isn't simply something that appeared on someone's tumblr and which was reposted a dozen times or so. There's obviously the NYMag piece that started it but then you've got the Huffington Post and the Atlantic getting in on the act as well as the usual suspect list of tweets, tumblrs and lesser known blogs/websites.

I'm not sure how one can dismiss the Atlantic, NYMag and the Huffington Post as "fringe" femenism.

Beorning

I just read the piece on NYMag and Huffington Post. They really seem to treat this whole "issue" seriously...  ::)

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Beorning on January 15, 2015, 02:10:10 PM
I just read the piece on NYMag and Huffington Post. They really seem to treat this whole "issue" seriously...  ::)

"Scandals, dramas, tragedy, and mindless ballyhoo
That's turned our brains to goo...
It's what we call the news...."