What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

I've collected 199 of the medals in Dark Cloud 2.  Most of the remaining ones are time trials and fishing, with only a few kill-goals and golfing medals.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Wolfy

*sigh* Well, folks...if my Appeal doesn't get approved, it means I won't get my financial aid..and no aid = no new computer..thus..no FFXIV..T_T

Hemingway

Why did Mafia 2's developers think it'd be a good idea to have a car chase scene where survival depends entirely on getting lucky? I mean, really, really lucky. I'm playing it on hard difficulty and I keep dying before I can even get out on the main street.

EDIT: I haven't finished the game yet, I'm at the very end, but I just can't hold this recommendation; don't play the game on Hard. There are two types of people I'd recommend that to; people I hate, and people who hate FUN. With combat being as difficult as it is, instant death potentially lurking around every corner, and save points that are for the most part simply absent ... well.

Wolfy

Psh..I play all my games on Easy. <_<>_>

avorae

Quote from: Wolfy on August 28, 2010, 04:51:38 PM
Psh..I play all my games on Easy. <_<>_>

Same here at least for the first play through..
Life is a hard game but the rewards are sweet if you know where to look.

Hemingway

That's because you guys are QUITTERS and you SUCK.

I'm kidding, I'm kidding. I tend to find easy too easy, though. Too easy is more fun than too hard, but it's still not ideal.

Anyway, I beat the game now. It's missing a few things ( like a proper ending - it's like they don't even try to hide that they'll have DLC coming! ), and some scenes were frustrating as well on Hard ... but otherwise a good game. There's a bit of wasted potential as far as the story goes, but well above what I've gotten used to recently.

I'll still take the story of GTAIV ( and The Lost And Damned in particular ) over this, but this also easily beats Red Dead Redemption. Easily. EASILY.

Wolfy

Bleh. o3o *sticks tongue out at Hemingway*

Brandon

My difficulty is always set on the hardest I can get it unless I find it wholly unbeatable like Mass effect 2 on insanity

Anyway, tpday I decided to pull out a somewhat oldie but awesomeie :P Namely Fallout 3, game of the year edition. I swear I can spend literally weeks just walking the wasteland. Such an immersive and fun game
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Sabby

I wouldn't call it immersive... Anything with the Oblivion game engine is an immersion killer to me :/ fun games, but they just take every chance to remind that they are games, they are robotic and in no way real.

I hate to use such an example, as it really is too easy, but... Half Life 2. THAT was immersive. Red Dead Redemption and GTA4 were immersive too.

Playing Darkstar One. Space is big...

Dunnuck

half life 2 was not immersive...disconnected levels (as in vastly different without justification), empty world (mostly), and a mute main character. i despise half life 2. its not even fun

Nyarly

I find both Oblivion and Half-Life 2 somewhat immersive. It's true however that Oblivion is quite... mechanic and that Half-Life has a problem with it's Silent Protagonist.

I haven't played much GTA IV yet, but so far it doesn't really feel it immersive.

Dunnuck

Immersives:

FFX, Dragon Age, Knights of the Old Republic, Alan Wake, Heavy Rain....

Sabby

HOLY SHIT! Just saw the vid review of Dead to Rights: Retribution. I am SO ordering this game.

Dunnuck

what did it get??? and what site??

Sabby

Gamespot. Didn't see the score, but the summary is it's a long campaign, very violent, plays well, cliche but well written and voiced story, good pacing with only a few hitches in difficulty, and the only real downside was that sometimes animations aren't quite right, the shooting is nothing special (but functional) and the dog levels go on too long.

But damn, it looks so unashamedly violent! I'm in need of a good bullet time riddled, shameless blood fest with fistfights.

Hemingway

Quote from: Brandon on August 29, 2010, 12:46:40 AM
My difficulty is always set on the hardest I can get it unless I find it wholly unbeatable like Mass effect 2 on insanity

I just started playing ME2 again. I wouldn't dream of setting the difficulty higher than ... Veteran ( unless to get the Geth Rifle. I think you need to play it on Hardcore to get that, so ... ), I guess. There comes a certain point for me when I have to stop and wonder why regular enemies take and do more damage than the number one badass in the universe. You're supposed to have the best gear available, yet somehow common mercenaries kill you in a matter of seconds, while at the same time taking multiple headshots to kill? Come on.

Sabby

There is Difficult, and then there is Challenging.

The Force Unleashed on Hard is Difficult. But Panzer Dragoon Orta is Challenging.

Just ramping up the enemies health bars and damage rating is NOT adding to the challenge at all, it's a cheap and easy thing for a dev to do. Real, fair difficulty is something that takes a great amount of balancing and testing to pull off right.

And honestly, Panzer Dragoon Orta is one of the few games I know of that nails it's difficulty level so perfectly. It's challenging without being overwhelming, balanced, and an endurance test. Whenever you die, you NEVER feel like it's the game's fault, it was always you, and you know you can nail it if you just zero in and focus.

THAT is how a difficult game should be. Games like Mass Effect 2 take the easy way :/

Hemingway

Fallout 3 is probably the most frustrating example I can think of. I like to play it on a higher difficulty setting, and that can work well. I remember doing the Rangers' mission, in the hotel, and having to scavenge and preserve ammo and stimpacks. But when you can pour several magazines into an enemy's head, it sort of ... ruins the immersion.

Which is why I'm looking forward to New Vegas! Hardcore mode ftw.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on August 29, 2010, 09:08:48 AM
There is Difficult, and then there is Challenging.

The Force Unleashed on Hard is Difficult. But Panzer Dragoon Orta is Challenging.

Just ramping up the enemies health bars and damage rating is NOT adding to the challenge at all, it's a cheap and easy thing for a dev to do. Real, fair difficulty is something that takes a great amount of balancing and testing to pull off right.

And honestly, Panzer Dragoon Orta is one of the few games I know of that nails it's difficulty level so perfectly. It's challenging without being overwhelming, balanced, and an endurance test. Whenever you die, you NEVER feel like it's the game's fault, it was always you, and you know you can nail it if you just zero in and focus.

THAT is how a difficult game should be. Games like Mass Effect 2 take the easy way :/
That's often the argument of people who like to whine about difficulty Sabby. Not saying you are but the "Oh they just ramp up the hp. Mass Effect 2 is a little classier than that. I'm playing on insanity as a soldier and am doing just fine. ME 2 is about forethought. What kind of enemies will I be facing and what's the best group to go after them. They don't just ramp up the hp they give them additional layers of protection. You can't just give everyone the latest gun and tell them to them to go at it.

Soldier makes things a little easier but if you pay attention to your team building skills you should have no problems. Geth hunters piss me off though. Stupid rushers. They always did that though.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

Quote from: Hemingway on August 29, 2010, 01:30:25 PM
Fallout 3 is probably the most frustrating example I can think of. I like to play it on a higher difficulty setting, and that can work well. I remember doing the Rangers' mission, in the hotel, and having to scavenge and preserve ammo and stimpacks. But when you can pour several magazines into an enemy's head, it sort of ... ruins the immersion.

Which is why I'm looking forward to New Vegas! Hardcore mode ftw.

What, is that like, one shot, one kill? If so, VATS will make that ridiculously easy, especially if they have the Grim Reaper Perk from Fallout 3, you know,the one that refills your vats meter after every kill.

Seriously...ridiculously easy. o3o All you'd have to worry about is dodging. lol

Sabby

Really? Huh, I assumed it was like Mass Effect 1's difficulty settings... well then just take what I said before with a different example :) Seriously, get Panzer Dragoon Orta. It was on the Xbox, pretty rare now, but if you can find it... ho man, it's gaming perfection. Beautiful graphics, long and pretty levels, great boss fights, simple to use but effective control scheme.

Basically, your an anime girl riding a sci-fi dragon through on-rails missions. You can roll and dive and pull up and such, but you can't actually stray from your path. Your only other movement option is your speed. You can dash forward, or throw out your wings to stop. You can fire an unending volley of shots, or lock onto multiple enemies to send homing lasers screaming through them. Through each level, you'll have the chance to steer your dragon into little tokens that upgrades the form he is in at that time... Yeah, your dragon can transform, and this is a very important skill.

Your Base Wing is the standard form, medium sized, good firing, and can handle a few dashes before getting tired. Then there's Heavy Wing, massive and less agile, with no dashing, and very powerful but slow lock-on. Then theres Glide Wing, which is basically a dragon butterfly, darting quickly, able to dash and pull back many times, but with no lock-on, only a weak laser.

In any level, you are using ALL of this simultaneously. Enemies firing at you? Glide Wing rolls to the side, dips under them, pulls up over the next shot, careens past the rest, then dashes forward, transforms mid dash into Heavy Wing and then blasts the ship to pieces, transforming back to Glide Wing, pulling back to avoid the next volley, transform mid-dash to Base Wing and lock on while dodging again. Avoid his moves, expose his head, transform, dash in front, transform, unleash blinding super attack right into the weak spot.

It's beautiful man. Just beautiful.

abandoneddolly

Quote from: Dunnuck on August 29, 2010, 03:02:42 AM
Immersives:

FFX, Dragon Age, Knights of the Old Republic, Alan Wake, Heavy Rain....

dragon age and kights of the old republic are my favorite games

and I sooo want to play Alan awake but haven't had the money for it yet........from what I hard about the plot it reminds me of in the mouth of madness.

RoseyRene

Woah *looking at the long list of games from the different consoles !*
I'm currently playing final fantasy IX on my PSP :D
and oso other games like Suikoden 1 & 2 on my PSP~
those 3 are quite the old time games..
now searching around for final fantasy VIII on PSP so that I can have a taste of it~
tried final fantasy VII and IX.. but havent tried final fantasy VIII :D

Btw, I'm new around here! *waves around*  ;D

Dunnuck

8 is the best out of it, 7 and 9 imo

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on August 29, 2010, 07:34:42 PM
Really? Huh, I assumed it was like Mass Effect 1's difficulty settings... well then just take what I said before with a different example :) Seriously, get Panzer Dragoon Orta. It was on the Xbox, pretty rare now, but if you can find it... ho man, it's gaming perfection. Beautiful graphics, long and pretty levels, great boss fights, simple to use but effective control scheme.

Basically, your an anime girl riding a sci-fi dragon through on-rails missions. You can roll and dive and pull up and such, but you can't actually stray from your path. Your only other movement option is your speed. You can dash forward, or throw out your wings to stop. You can fire an unending volley of shots, or lock onto multiple enemies to send homing lasers screaming through them. Through each level, you'll have the chance to steer your dragon into little tokens that upgrades the form he is in at that time... Yeah, your dragon can transform, and this is a very important skill.

Your Base Wing is the standard form, medium sized, good firing, and can handle a few dashes before getting tired. Then there's Heavy Wing, massive and less agile, with no dashing, and very powerful but slow lock-on. Then theres Glide Wing, which is basically a dragon butterfly, darting quickly, able to dash and pull back many times, but with no lock-on, only a weak laser.

In any level, you are using ALL of this simultaneously. Enemies firing at you? Glide Wing rolls to the side, dips under them, pulls up over the next shot, careens past the rest, then dashes forward, transforms mid dash into Heavy Wing and then blasts the ship to pieces, transforming back to Glide Wing, pulling back to avoid the next volley, transform mid-dash to Base Wing and lock on while dodging again. Avoid his moves, expose his head, transform, dash in front, transform, unleash blinding super attack right into the weak spot.

It's beautiful man. Just beautiful.

Meh..I didn't bother with all that dodging...Heavy Wing or Base wing + Lock-on = Easy. o3o