This is interesting: Free Internet for all!

Started by Wolfy, February 10, 2011, 06:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

http://news.discovery.com/tech/free-internet-for-all.html

So yeah, apparently a Non-profit organization is trying to raise enough money in order to purchase the most advanced communication satellite ever launched, and use it to provide free internet to millions of people.

So far, the estimated cost is $150,000, and they've raised $50,000.

What do you think, Elliquiy? Do you think this crazy plan could work? :D

Callie Del Noire

Nice thought but given the final cost of a satellite I don't see them getting off the ground. Too many companies would pay through the nose for a satellite already deployed upstairs. I mean, the iridum system cited on the article went for 23 million.

Saerrael

I also find this a bit vague. Free internet? How? And, for how?

Aiden

It was called Net Zero, it ended up costing money.

Won't work, even if people get something for free they will bitch and cry about it.

Brilliant marketing campaign.

Oniya

Quote from: Wolfy on February 10, 2011, 06:52:08 PM
http://news.discovery.com/tech/free-internet-for-all.html

So yeah, apparently a Non-profit organization is trying to raise enough money in order to purchase the most advanced communication satellite ever launched, and use it to provide free internet to millions of people.

So far, the estimated cost is $150,000, and they've raised $50,000.

That's the price for getting a business plan together, not what they plan to spend on the satellite.

Quotethere is no final price tag on the satellite. The $150,000 will get the ball rolling, but the ultimate cost will likely be much higher.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17