West Borough Baptist Church to picket Dio's funeral

Started by Muninn, May 22, 2010, 01:04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muninn

Yep,  we all know these guys are nuts and now they're going out of their way for this one I think! I somehow don't think metal fans are going to take kindly to this..

Oniya

Part of me wants to be there with a video camera.

Part of me hopes that Ronnie's family sets up a bank of concert speakers, blasting Holy Diver, The Last In Line, Sacred Heart, Hungry for Heaven, Egypt... 

Drown them out in a massive tribute.

(Hey, anyone else notice that the ZIP code they hail from is 66604?  *cackles madly*)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

*zips up his fire proof leotard, crosses his leg over an ATV and hefts a paintball gun on his shoulder* Well, I've got a funeral crash to crash.

frost rose

I would point out the irony that apparently Dio was fairly religious himself—or so I'm told, and haven't bothered to confirm it so take that as it is—but he was Catholic, so they probably would have picketed him anyway. Hell, he could have been a died in the wool evangelical fundamentalist as extreme as they are, and they still probably would have done that.

Because we all know that really Dio is right now rocking hard in Valhalla, and they're in principle against things that are as totally sweet and wicked as that.
There was a SIGNATURE here.

It's gone now.

Oniya

These guys would picket Jesus himself for having meals with prostitutes (and tax collectors).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Sabby

He's not dead. He's gone to the World of Metal, to help Eddie Riggs free the land from Doviculus.

Muninn

Quote from: Oniya on May 22, 2010, 01:26:55 AM
Part of me wants to be there with a video camera.

Part of me hopes that Ronnie's family sets up a bank of concert speakers, blasting Holy Diver, The Last In Line, Sacred Heart, Hungry for Heaven, Egypt... 

Drown them out in a massive tribute.

(Hey, anyone else notice that the ZIP code they hail from is 66604?  *cackles madly*)
^THIS
(and I totally never noticed that - that's awesome and somehow so suiting ;D)

Quote from: frost rose on May 22, 2010, 01:41:37 AM
Because we all know that really Dio is right now rocking hard in Valhalla, and they're in principle against things that are as totally sweet and wicked as that.
^ALSO THIS

I'm rather interested in seeing what will come of this...

Wolfy

We need to get in touch with those Hell's Angel guys that put their motorcycles in between WBC and the funeral.

Lilias

Quote from: Wolfy on May 22, 2010, 08:07:44 AM
We need to get in touch with those Hell's Angel guys that put their motorcycles in between WBC and the funeral.

I'm willing to bet there will be a fair share of bikers there, considering Dio's audience.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Sabby

I know that they have a right to protest, and that disrupting them is as illegal as they stepping outside their designated area, but I hate to see this kind of thing permitted by the law :/ I know that I'd be running the risk of being arrested, but what these guys do is beyond disrespectful, and I'd probably actually go with the ATV + Paint Gun combo I suggested earlier >.<

A few friends, 3 ATV's, one drives, one shoots, do sweeping runs and give them some painful welts. Like I said, totally illegal, but these pricks have far worse coming to them.

Muninn

As my friend put it:

Where are all those '90s Scandinavian black metal church burners when you need them?

I'm pretty sure Dio's family and fans will know what to do to keep these whackos at bay and keep them mostly out of sight.

Cherri Tart

Some people just delight in being hateful asswipes and should be ignored - that's my take on this - if ANYone needs to be purged from the earth, it's these West Borough Baptists. 
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Sam

This was posted to the official Ronnie James Dio Facebook page:

QuoteRonnie hates prejudice and violence! We need to turn the other cheek on these people that only know how to hate someone they didn't know. We only know how to love someone we know!- Wendy Dio

BlisteredBlood

You know, part of me wants to bash these religious zealots over the head with a Gibson Flying V guitar yet the other part of me wants to debate their ethics in regards to their beliefs in God, asking the simple question of why would a group of people go out of their way to picket a dead man's funeral in another state. Ronnie hasn't been dead for more than a week and already there's a stink being raised the same way that's been done since Ozzy was in Black Sabbath 30 or 40 years ago!

I can only hope this will be a private funeral so they can keep these psychos at bay.
What BlisteredBlood Says Yes And No To: Ons and Offs
Got a question to ask? Ask me here!
Wanna RP with me? Check this out!
In case if I'm not here, refer to this.

Oniya

@Sam - That's why I was thinking about the (admittedly passive-aggressive) idea of blasting Ronnie's own songs in tribute.  It would effectively drown out the protesters, if it didn't have them fleeing, and I specifically went for songs with a touch of message in the music.

Yeah, I'm one of those weird people that actually reads lyrics. ;)

BlisteredBlood

Quote from: Oniya on May 22, 2010, 11:22:23 AM
@Sam - That's why I was thinking about the (admittedly passive-aggressive) idea of blasting Ronnie's own songs in tribute.  It would effectively drown out the protesters, if it didn't have them fleeing, and I specifically went for songs with a touch of message in the music.

Yeah, I'm one of those weird people that actually reads lyrics. ;)

Guilty as charged too, Oni. Hell, I've even watched one certain music video that would scare the living daylights out of those people.

This one in particular.

Bible Black - Heaven and Hell [Official Music Video]

Oniya

I'll have to check that out later tonight, but I've seen enough of Bible Black to already be snickering and nodding.

BlisteredBlood

Kind of odd, though. I've scoured all over YouTube for an AMV of the anime that has this song and I had not seen a one! Sure someone would've figured it out by now!

Sam

Quote from: Oniya on May 22, 2010, 11:22:23 AM
@Sam - That's why I was thinking about the (admittedly passive-aggressive) idea of blasting Ronnie's own songs in tribute.

Let's hope that happens.  It's a public memorial service, so it might be just as raucous as a Dio concert.

And I know what you mean about lyrics.  Here's one piece of wisdom from "Lord of the Last Day":

Quote from: Ronnie James DioDon't care which god you follow
Whose promises you swallow
Time and again
We must meet at the end

Oniya

I liked this one (didn't find it on the other lyrics site I visited)

QuoteWe learn slowly
Mind control is holy
Stir don't shake it
Move too fast
you'll break it up
Incidental
God is heavy metal
So I know he must need me

Sam

Oh, and if you really want to piss off Westboro Baptist Church, donate to Ronnie James Dio's Stand Up and Shout Cancer Fund.  There's a donation link at his website.  His widow, Wendy Dio, is asking for contributions in lieu of flowers and cards.  I did my part.

RubySlippers

The price of living in a free society is to have to also endure this sort of activity, after all the First Amendment is most vital when protecting speech that is very offensive.

Muninn

Quote from: Sam on May 22, 2010, 01:19:52 PM
Oh, and if you really want to piss off Westboro Baptist Church, donate to Ronnie James Dio's Stand Up and Shout Cancer Fund.  There's a donation link at his website.  His widow, Wendy Dio, is asking for contributions in lieu of flowers and cards.  I did my part.
^This, too.

I love the idea of blaring his heretical music to drown out their incessant badgering, I think his fans could also make a lovely barrier to keep the grieving family from seeing their hateful signs, as well.  Toss in someone accepting donations for Dio's Stand Up and Shout Cancer Fund right in front of their noses and I think you've got enough to piss them off without resorting to violence.  If his wife doesn't have this idea I think someone should let her know.  Or if not her, the fans. ;)

Quote from: RubySlippers on May 22, 2010, 04:34:35 PM
The price of living in a free society is to have to also endure this sort of activity, after all the First Amendment is most vital when protecting speech that is very offensive.
I think you're preaching to the choir here. ;)

I hear some people are trying to organize and push for a law that prevents protesting at funerals. I'm all for the First Amendment but I sadly I think expressing it at the funeral of someone else you don't know is not expressing your right to Free Speech as it is for shock factor.  He wants attention and he's getting it.

Serephino

I think the best thing to do with these people is ignore them.  Attention is clearly what they want.  They'll get theirs in the end. 

Wolfy

Quote from: Sparkling Angel on May 22, 2010, 10:46:28 PM
I think the best thing to do with these people is ignore them.  Attention is clearly what they want.  They'll get theirs in the end. 

The problem is that you can't ignore them, at least not for long. They intrude where they have no right to intrude, and are protected by "Free Speech". They provoke you to your face, and have a lot of lawyers to back them up. That's where they get their money and funding from, from sueing people who interfere with them.

It's an evil organization. >_<