News:

Main Menu

Brain teasers

Started by The Golden Touch, November 10, 2011, 11:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Story Tale

And one used in the Labyrinth..

You're in a room with two doors. There's a guard at each door. One door is the exit, but behind the other door is something that will kill you. You're told that one guard always tells the truth and the other guard always lies. You don't know which guard is which. You are allowed to ask one question to either of the guards to determine which door is the exit. What question should you ask?

The Golden Touch

I would ask... How many fingers am I holding up?

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

Jacqueline

Quote from: najlah on November 17, 2011, 09:58:31 AM
And one used in the Labyrinth..

You're in a room with two doors. There's a guard at each door. One door is the exit, but behind the other door is something that will kill you. You're told that one guard always tells the truth and the other guard always lies. You don't know which guard is which. You are allowed to ask one question to either of the guards to determine which door is the exit. What question should you ask?

This one took me a bit.

I'd ask either guard: What door the other guard would say is the good door? And after that I will do the opposite.

Why? Because if I ask the guard who always tells the truth, he knows the other guard will always lie about it and in consequence he'll point me to the bad door.

If I ask the guard who always lies, he knows the other guard will show me the exit, so he'll lie and point me to the bad door too.

Jacqueline

A classic one!

A genie in a distant kingdom is so smart and intelligent that he's able to answer and solve every question thrown at him regardless of the topic. What would you ask him to finally defy his knowledge?

Oniya

What is the question you cannot answer?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Jacqueline

Story Tale

Lol Golden, sorry, just saw your edit.. I thought that was a brain teaser at first.

The Golden Touch

No worries, I just realized I wasn't very specific in my question/answer.

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

Jalynn6

Warlko, do they all go forward and then turn right?

Jalynn6

Ok I got one!

You are standing outside a room with no windows, only a solid door.  Outside there are three switches to three lightbulbs inside.  You can go inside only once.  How do you tell which switch goes to which light bulb.

Also. You are in a room. No windows no doors no way out. made of concrete. No way out.

The only things in the room with you, are a table and a mirror. How do you get out?

DarklingAlice

Quote from: Jalynn6 on January 28, 2012, 09:43:10 PM
You are standing outside a room with no windows, only a solid door.  Outside there are three switches to three lightbulbs inside.  You can go inside only once.  How do you tell which switch goes to which light bulb.

1) Turn one switch to off. Let us denote it switch 'A'.
2) Wait a sufficient amount of time.
3) Turn a second switch off. Let us denote it switch 'B'
4) Immediately enter the room.
5) The light remaining on is 'C' and then 'A' and 'B' can be determined from comparing the temperature of the bulbs.

As for the second one...I think I have the answer but it's just too punny  :P
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Jalynn6

You are correct!  (I always assumed the lights were off and so turned one on for awhile then off and turned another on and left one off but it all works)

And come on with the pun! the pun is the point!

Contacaton

Context: 10c coins, 20c coins, 50c coins, $1 coins, and $2 coins.

Two coins make 30c.
One cannot be a 10c coin.
Addition only.
I am a horrible horrible jerk, and you should not trust me.
If you choose to anyway, look here.

Oniya

The Answer
One is not a 10c coin:  That one is a 20c coin.
The other one is the 10c coin.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Contacaton

Correctamundo!

I ate three bowls of spaghetti for breakfast.
I ate one bowl of spaghetti for lunch.
I ate two bowls of spaghetti for dinner.
How many bowls have I eaten today?

Oniya

Burp!
Hopefully none, but you have eaten an awful lot of spaghetti.  ;D

Contacaton

Correct again. I was hoping to trick you with that one :P

Strident

Here's a nice little brain teaser for you all:

Three friends check into a motel for the night and the clerk tells them the bill is $30, payable in advance.

They decide to devide the bill up evenly and each pay the clerk $10 and go to their room.

A few minutes later, the clerk realizes he has made an error and overcharged the trio by $5. He asks the bellhop to return $5 to the 3 friends who had just checked in. The bellhop sees this as an opportunity to make $2 as he reasons that the three friends would have a tough time dividing $5 evenly among them; so he decides to tell them that the clerk made a mistake of only $3, giving a dollar back to each of the friends.

He pockets the leftover $2 and heads home feeling pleased with himself!

Now,
Each friend spent $9 on the room.

3 x 9 = 27

There's $2 in the bellhops pocket:

27+2 = 29

But wait..they started with $30!!! Where's the missing dollar gone?

Contacaton

1: There's $30 with the friends.

2: There's $30 with the clerk.

3: There's $5 with the bellhop and $25 with the clerk, 5+25= 30.

4: There's $2 with the bellhop, $25 with the clerk, and $3 with the friends, 2+25+3= 5+25= 30.

Shjade

Quote from: Strident on February 15, 2012, 09:19:45 AM
Now,
Each friend spent $9 on the room.

3 x 9 = 27

There's $2 in the bellhops pocket:

27+2 = 29

But wait..they started with $30!!! Where's the missing dollar gone?

I realize that "trick" questions are the point of brain teasers, but isn't it cheating to give false information for your brain teaser?

The $27 they spent on the room includes the $2 in the bellhop's pocket. If you then say there are $2 in the bellhop's pocket and bump the number to $29 you're saying there are $4 in the bellhop's pocket. I'm wondering if that's intended as misleading information (say, including $2 in the bellhop's pocket that aren't related to this particular transaction), or if it's outright misinformation (given that the $2 in his pocket are actually included in the initial $27, meaning you can't add it twice to get $29).

See, the way you have it written there, they spent $29 on the room & bellhop and got $3 back, which means there isn't one missing dollar, there are two extra dollars (as you'd end up with $27 for room, $2 for bellhop, and $3 back to the friends - $32 total). That's if it's misinformation, as opposed to intentionally misleading via including two unrelated dollars.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Oniya

Quote from: Shjade on February 15, 2012, 03:02:02 PM
I realize that "trick" questions are the point of brain teasers, but isn't it cheating to give false information for your brain teaser?

That's actually a classic 'teaser.  I know I've seen it in a Martin Gardner collection along with the fox/chicken/grain problem.

Jalynn6

:( This one seemed to be missed!

You find yourself in a room with no windows, doors, holes, cracks, or any other means of escape.  In the room with you is a table and a mirror.  How do you get out?

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Jalynn6 on February 16, 2012, 11:00:48 AM
:( This one seemed to be missed!

You find yourself in a room with no windows, doors, holes, cracks, or any other means of escape.  In the room with you is a table and a mirror.  How do you get out?

Something like this, I may have the exact wording wrong.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Look in the mirror such that you can see the table. Do it again, so that you see what you saw.
Saw the table in half.
Take the two halves of the table and make a whole.
Climb out through the hole.

Jalynn6

Woot! You got it! Anyone else wanna try?

Indiran

Hi all,

I also have one waiting to be solvde.

you ring yourself outside of a room with now windows.
There is a lamp hanging in the room, contoled by one of the three switches outside of the room.
You only get one chance to enter to room, and go back out, and you don't see the light burning from outside of the room.

How can you find out which swicht is controling the lamp?

Best regards,

Indiran