Interest Checks for Strange Game Ideas

Started by deadmanshand, September 15, 2014, 09:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadmanshand

Okay. I've been a member of Elliquiy for over a month and I've noticed that this site seems significantly more open to unusual ideas than RPOL. So I've decided to test the waters here with a number of game ideas I have attempted to run on that site that did not suit the community there. Either too different from what they expected, too far from the norm, or just plain a little too strange. Somehow I feel like that will be not be an issue here.

Now let me say that I will probably only end up running one of these games at the present time. This is a gauge to see which of my ideas draws the most interest. But if you have questions or ideas or really anything about these ideas feel free to speak. I'll try to answer everyone. All of my RPs are open to all genders/gender identities because I just don't give a shit about things like that. All are also expected to be in third person, past tense perspective.

Die Toten

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Genre: Post Apocalyptic Prison Planet Sci-Fi
Section: Extreme (for maximum freedom)
System: Either Die Toten (a system hack of my own creation) or freeform with some guided character creation.
The Idea:

Donnar is the 4th planet from a bloated red sun with unlivable northern and southern hemispheres. The north a blasted seething wasteland scoured by 100 mile an hour winds and the south a craggy, mountainous realm of extremes. Only the Jord is habitable. A 500 mile wide strip around the equator where waste and mountain meet. Mountains provide a windbreak from the howling winds and the filtered sunlight allows plants to grow.

A century ago this was a mining colony but whatever riches the world held have long since been stolen and the colony abandoned. Homes left to the mercy of the elements. Facilities cleaned out and left to rot. A dust haunted scrapyard in an otherwise uninhabited system. For half a century it sat empty till the regime found itself in need of a place for it's dissidents.

That is when the name Donnar re-emerged.

The regime decided like the English of old to make a prison colony. Donnar was it. A life sentence of exile on a planet of murderers, terrorists, rogue psykers, and xenos. Dropped from orbit to find their own way. While above a warship watches for any signs of a space faring vehicle - ready with an arsenal no force below could hope to withstand.

Now gangs rule the land. Some play at territory and warfare like the neighborhoods of old Earth. Others build cities and try to forge some kind of civilization. Some even hope to make a change for the better. Others just look out for themselves.

And some just want to watch the world bleed.

Welcome to the Hammer, inmate.

The Players:

You are the newest inmates. Convicted and sentenced to a lifetime on Donnar. Political prisoners, terrorists, murderers, psykers, xenos, arsonists... you committed the crime and now this is the price you pay. This is not a game for the wrongly convicted. You might not be evil but you are a criminal.

Setting & Plot:

The images in my head are of crudely built vehicles and jury rigged weapons. Homemade chemistry supplying drugs. Black market genetic engineering. Brutal entertainment. Kind of like Mad Max meets the Sci-Fi age with a Roman's love of bloodsport. And, of course, every form of vice known to man.

The plot is survival. Very character driven but - and this is important - it is not about escaping the planet. That is not happening. This is a story about survival on a planet where vice is god. Not about escaping to face your captors or to clear your name.

Content: Potentially any allowable by Elliquiy rules. As always respecting each other and my O/O's.

Writing Sample:
3 Months Ago
Bratva High Court

"Bram Ingolf Kressler Salien, firstborn son of Greve Aksel Salien, stand and be recognized," Dommer Christer said from his seat atop the judgement dais.

The prisoner was silent. Head down. Motionless save for the shallow rise and fall of his chest. His clothes were little more than a slate gray jumpsuit - the uniform of the condemned - and steel locking gauntlets. What skin showed was pale in the way a man can be only after a lifetime of living beneath a metal sky.

Slowly, deliberately Bram looked up. A wolf's mane of shaggy coal hair framed an almost colorless face. Eyes dark. The bags beneath them darker still. Thin lips pressed into a grim line. Everything about his face was sharp - like his bones were knives and his skin the sheathe.

"Stand and be recognized," Christer repeated voice hard.

Bram et Salien rose to his feet but his eyes were fixed on the official above him. Pointedly ignoring the advocate by his side, the jury to his right, and the crowd behind him. Ignoring the father behind him. Ignoring his mother's empty seat.

"Read off the accused's charges," the Dommer commanded.

A slim man wearing the black and silvered livery of the Duchal Guard stepped forward and said, "Neural trafficking, 35 counts. Trafficking in contraband, 43 counts. Aiding fugitives, 27 counts. Mind crimes, 12 counts. Conspiracy to commit murder, 3 counts. Murder by commission, 2 counts. Unregistered vitakinetic abilities, 1 count."

"Foreman - what is the jury's deicision?"

The foreman - dressed as all the jurors in black head to toe - to a deep breath and pronounced, "Guilty on all charges."

Pale lips twitched. A deep, hard breath escaped him. It could be seen on his face and in the line of his shoulders. He knew what was coming. It was the only ending the trial could have.

"Bram Ingolf Kressler Salien, Grevesson, a jury of your peers have found you guilty," Dommer Christer proclaimed. "And there is only one punishment for such a list of atrocities and moral outrages. Only one answer to the utterly selfish uses of the gifts you possess. You are hereby sentenced to a lifetime of imprisonment on Donnar. May you see the error of your ways before your end finds you."

Now
Battleship Pradzia
Jarngreipr Fleet
Aesir System

Bram saw Donnar for the first time. The infamous prison was the sole planet in the system capable of supporting life. 2 and a half times Sol in size and locked in a nebulous orbit between two orange stars - Risnir and Njostr. The only habitable zone on it was a belt 500 miles wide around the equator. A planet without day or night. Only twilight and dawn. Storm wracked and blasted by sand and wind.

The mining company that had originally discovered Donnar called the belt Megingjord.

From the port screen the rest of the Jarngreipr Fleet could be seen. A dozen battleships representing a hundred systems. Each watching over the prison planet. Each with enough firepower to raise a continent to the ground. Over the planet itself hung a satellite - the orbital weapons platform called Mjolnir.

My new home. Is this what you wanted for me, father? Or would you have preferred my death? the psyker thought staring out into the dark.

"Move along, inmate," the soldier snapped shoving Bram forward.

Bram cast a dark look his way but reluctantly moved forward. There was no reason to fight here and now. Home was half a billion klicks away. His allies were imprisoned or dead. His family had cast him aside. And he was surrounded by 5000 soldiers who were - at best - neutral towards him.

In the years to come he would never remember the walk to the dropship. A hundred memories were running through his mind. His and others. Some freely given and others stolen. Anything to distract him from the truth. Donnar was to be his tomb.

His skin tingled. Mouth dry. Hands shaking in their confines. He swallowed hard. Part of him ached to be somewhere else. Just fall away into the sea of memories inside him. For once Bram fought the urge. He needed this memory.

Pulling himself together he looked around the dropship. To see who would share his punishment. To see who's life ended with his today. His fellow prisoners. Die Toten the soldiers called them.

The dead.

Primo Die

Genre: Fantastic World Hopping
Section: Extreme (for full freedom)
System:

The excellent, thought provoking, and free ImagiNation. Which can be found at the link below.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/...p;affiliate_id=50144

Note: Because this is a free system there is no reason for you to not acquire and familiarize yourself with it. Being new is cool. Not learning is not.

The Idea:

The End of Days

It began almost 6 months ago. The weather had been fey all year but only the fearful took note of it. Then the dreams began. Striking visions of a deep blue vastness like the sea spilling over the earth - washing away the works of man and God alike. Where it touched all things were unmade. In the distant reaches of the blue a sad song could be heard. A dirge sung in a language sadder than any words man had to offer.

It took only a few weeks before the world panicked in it's shared portents. Holy men spoke of God's wrath and the coming of the Lamb. Politicians played at confidence but trembled out of sight of the common man. Some built shelters to weather the coming storm. Others decided to experience all of life's pleasures or forsake them entirely. Some simply huddled with their loved ones and waited for the end.

It came with the dawn on April 14th, 1924. That dirge played out through the skies and shook the world. The people of Hopewell watched as the blue wall rushed from the east. Six miles out from the town it parted going around but still cutting off the sky. When it passed Hopewell sat in a bubble lit by blue shimmering light.

It has been 3 months since that day and the people of Hopewell still survive on the stores and the crops left to them. Day by day the fear grows worse as shadows move beyond the wall and the isolation takes its toll. Everybody wonders if they are the last. If they are all that remains of humanity. But no one asks it.

They are afraid of the answer.

Hopewell, Illinois

A town of only a few hundred people. It was much like any other small rural American settlement of the day. Mostly farming based with the businesses in town practical. The people were hard working and God fearing. Good folks mostly. Honest and generous. Not true for all but for most.

In the wake of the End of Days it is a much darker place. Fear has replaced hope. Relationships that had survived decades failed in months. Loved ones turned on each other. Raised voices and fists settle more arguments than not these days.

The Players:

You will play those people who can survive in the Blue beyond the edge of the world. Damaged, artistic souls who can shape worlds with their art. People who have volunteered to see what lies beyond the wall at the edge of Hopewell.

Setting & Plot:

This is a setting where the world can change from week to week as the players move from world to world in the Blue. The plot will begin as the search for other survivors but will quickly become much, much more.

Content: Potentially anything allowed by Elliquiy's rules but while respecting each other and my O/O's.

The Raven's Wings

Genre: Dark Fantasy
Section: Extreme
System: Freeform
The Idea:

<quote>Dreams. Each man longs to pursue his dream. Each man is tortured by this dream, but the dream gives meaning to his life. Even if the dream ruins his life, man cannot allow himself to leave it behind. In this world, is man ever able to possess anything more solid, than a dream?</quote>

The One Hundred Years War

For the past century war has raged across the lands as Midtelande and Valois wage unending campaigns against each other. Beginning when the Valois annexed the city and province of Odense. Ever since the commoners of both sides have bled and died on the battlefield for the ambitions of the nobility. Devastating entire towns and creating whole generations who have known nothing but war. Meanwhile the nobility ride forth in the best armor with the best weapons and slaughter while being hailed as heroes.

The Raven's Wing

Two years ago a new mercenary band came on the scene. One that succeeded even when the odds were against them. A mixed bag of Midtelanders, Valoisians, Kushans, and others from farther lands. Young and old alike. Led by the remarkable young commander Gabriel - called the Raven by friend and foe alike. Some whisper that the Raven's Wing has grander designs than simply living as sellswords.

The Players:

You are the members of the Raven's Wing. Mercenaries under his banner but that doesn't mean you have to be soldiers. There is room for doctors and smiths and others.

Setting & Plot:

The plot will follow the rise of the Raven's Wing in the wartorn lands of Midtelande.

Content: Oh... this is a dark one.

MMA: Inside the Cage

Genre: Modern, Realistic
Section: Probably Light I would say.
System: A hack of the Imagination system from Primo Die above. Wouldn't even require the rules.
The Idea:

This is one is unique because there are two ideas depending on what people want to play.

Evolution Fighting Championships - known as the EFC - is the hottest new combat sports organization on the block. Debuting with a national television deal and unique format turned it's first year into a phenomenal success. Discarding the traditional format of combat sports in favor of team based battles. Each fight is one on one but it's the team's overall record that determines how they advance through the season leading to the play offs of the world's first team based combat sport. The ratings from the finale of season one were exceptional.

Now legendary fighter Volk Han has opened his own gym and is recruiting to form his own team for season 2 of the Evolution Fighting Championships.

or

Blue House MMA a new gym opened by the respected retired fighter Volk Han. Basically it's an individual based story as opposed to the team based above. No teams. Traditional format to the fights and fight cards. The more alternative cousin to the idea above. Just individual fighters working towards a belt.

The Players:

The fighters, staff, and loved ones that are connected to the gym. Not every player has to be a fighter.

Setting & Plot:

This setting is a little more realistic. Focusing on the lives of the fighters. Their ups and downs. Triumphs and failures. Their friendships and relationships but their will be more to it than that. Steroid scandals, shady dealings, cheating... all sorts of fun. Add in the inborn characters hooks and you've got a real story.

Content: More violence than anything. I don't expect anything too extreme on the sexual end.

IrishWolf

Quote from: deadmanshand on September 15, 2014, 09:17:13 PM

The Raven's Wings

Genre: Dark Fantasy
Section: Extreme
System: Freeform
The Idea:

<quote>Dreams. Each man longs to pursue his dream. Each man is tortured by this dream, but the dream gives meaning to his life. Even if the dream ruins his life, man cannot allow himself to leave it behind. In this world, is man ever able to possess anything more solid, than a dream?</quote>

The One Hundred Years War

For the past century war has raged across the lands as Midtelande and Valois wage unending campaigns against each other. Beginning when the Valois annexed the city and province of Odense. Ever since the commoners of both sides have bled and died on the battlefield for the ambitions of the nobility. Devastating entire towns and creating whole generations who have known nothing but war. Meanwhile the nobility ride forth in the best armor with the best weapons and slaughter while being hailed as heroes.

The Raven's Wing

Two years ago a new mercenary band came on the scene. One that succeeded even when the odds were against them. A mixed bag of Midtelanders, Valoisians, Kushans, and others from farther lands. Young and old alike. Led by the remarkable young commander Gabriel - called the Raven by friend and foe alike. Some whisper that the Raven's Wing has grander designs than simply living as sellswords.

The Players:

You are the members of the Raven's Wing. Mercenaries under his banner but that doesn't mean you have to be soldiers. There is room for doctors and smiths and others.

Setting & Plot:

The plot will follow the rise of the Raven's Wing in the wartorn lands of Midtelande.

Content: Oh... this is a dark one.

I have to say, that sounds like the plot to Berserk, which I love and I happen to have a mercenary character inspired by the German Landsknechte, who would fit perfectly into this setting.

deadmanshand

The plot is ...inspired by Berserk. One of my all time favorite animes and mangas. And quite possibly the best example of dark fantasy ever made.

ArcherCC

Rajah

Voting Raven's Wings. That sounds intense.
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

deadmanshand

Holy crap! How has it been this long since I checked this thread? 11 days. Damn. Did not mean to ignore you, Rajah. I did mean to ignore Archer though. Fuck that guy*.

Anyway added a writing sample for Die Toten that may help make that a little bit clearer.

@Rajah (if you're still paying attention or care) Intensity was one of the things I was going for with that idea. The inspiration source is incredibly intense and it would be nice to get some of that into a game.

*He's my roommate. I'm allowed to talk shit.

Kythia

Die Toten sounds interesting, it gets my vote.

deadmanshand

Well what about Die Toten caught your attention? Any questions about it?

TheHangedOne

In order, I like: The Raven's Wings, Die Toten,  and Primo Die.  Not a big fan of the MMA one, not my thing.

Die Toten reminds me of Borderlands, which I've always loved. Plus, I'm just a fan of "post apocalypse" (even though this technically isn't, it has all the feeling and ascetics of that genre).

TRW sounds like fun. It also makes me curious about what the greater goal of the group may be.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

deadmanshand

To be honest I never expected the MMA game to get much attention. I just kind of hoped it would. Unfortunately most gamers are more interested in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon style martial arts than they are realistic ones - when they are even interested in martial arts at all.

I'll be honest some of Borderlands imagery helped inspire Die Toten but it was more inspired by movies like Escape From New York and Mad Max. Less focused on escape and non-criminal characters though.

The Raven's Wings goal... most of the members are mercenaries. They don't have a goal beyond making money. Gabriel certainly has grander plans but he doesn't share them. What the goals of the players are is, of course, up to them.

IrishWolf

Kill people, get paid, fuck bitches!

-mercenary motto

VoluptuousVixen

Id really like to rp with you, I am sorry if I offended you before.

I think you have some great ideas like for example the Post Apocalyptic Prison Planet Sci-Fi.

I very much liked that kind of setting in Alien 3.

Would you consider giving me a second chance?