"Recenlty Viewed By..."

Started by Desan, June 09, 2009, 02:24:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desan

Does anyone else think it'd be cool to have an option to see who's browsed/read through one of your stories? I see the views of mine and I wonder just how much is it just me and my partner(s) reading our own thread and how much it is other people actually peeking into my game and reading my story?

I was thinking this option could be turned off and on depending on the members (aka whether or not you want to be shown as have read a game or not basically). 

(In my opinion of course) It would be lovely and kind of warming/inspiring to continue the story and take pride that there are people who read and enjoy watching and even following others games :)

Your thoughts?
And I don’t really give a f-ck, and my excuse is that I’m young.

Autumn Sativus

I'd love to see the feature. ^^
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Greenthorn

Bliss

That's a very interesting idea; the first thing that comes to mind (for me) is OKCupid's "Stalker" system, which allows you to see who has viewed your profile and when.
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Desan

^^ Perhaps it could be implemented to not just games but yea, your O/O and profile as well! :)

Valerian

O.O

And could it be shut off from the other direction, so to speak, for those of us who would freak out to learn that anyone's seriously following their stories?
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Desan

Sure! If you're a really that shy and don't really want to see who's looking, you can always make it "private" or something so you don't have to see who's seen it?

^^

Too bad I don't know sh*t about coding and can't make this myself xD

Autumn Sativus

I'd suggest two features in that direction.

One to allow you to hide from being seen as reading threads.

One to allow you to shut off the list.
Us against the world

Dakota

theres a mod to see who has viewed your profile so it should be possible to do it for posts

loki

But if you could go private then what good would that do if everyone did that?
O&O

Vekseid

I wonder if a donate for features program will work >_>

It's not that I don't want to, it's just that right now I'm torn between thousands of things... I would love to be able to focus on Elliquiy, entirely : /

Autumn Sativus

That would be interesting. Another little bar perhaps, and you might want to say "Donate for X Feature" so that people can support the ones they like?
Us against the world

Desan

Quote from: Vekseid on June 09, 2009, 03:20:55 PM

It's not that I don't want to, it's just that right now I'm torn between thousands of things... I would love to be able to focus on Elliquiy, entirely : /

How much would that cost Veks? If you could estimate putting up a feature like  "Recently Viewed by.."

Autumn Sativus

Quote from: Sir Desan on June 09, 2009, 03:30:13 PM
How much would that cost Veks? If you could estimate putting up a feature like  "Recently Viewed by.."
Beyond that, how much would it cost in Veks' time. :-)
Us against the world

jouzinka

Quote from: Saffron on June 09, 2009, 03:37:33 PM
...how much would it cost in Veks' time. :-)

Can't resist - how much would one Veks cost for one evening/night? O:)
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Avis habilis

Quote from: Vekseid on June 09, 2009, 03:20:55 PM

What about a "donate features" program? Or would the time you would have to spend to make sure the donated mod wasn't crap be more than you would spend on rolling it yourself?

Desan

Quote from: Saffron on June 09, 2009, 03:37:33 PM
Beyond that, how much would it cost in Veks' time. :-)

True, but given the money (or required amount donated), would it be 'high priority' status to implement?

Vekseid

I wouldn't be able to accept such until nearer the end of the month, as I have another project that is taking priority at the moment. A part of the issue is there's more to it than just the up front donation, but also the additional headache involved in upgrading, theming, etc.

I'm very paranoid about including code in Elliquiy that I haven't thoroughly reviewed or hasn't been reviewed by SMF's team. That the last two mods completely failed to work did not make me any happier -_-

Autumn Sativus

I don't think we expect anything immediate. Just curiosities and interest. ^^
Us against the world

Desan

*Nods* Just somethin to think about for maybe a new feature in the future :)

Scott

Quote from: Valerian on June 09, 2009, 02:18:18 PM
O.O

And could it be shut off from the other direction, so to speak, for those of us who would freak out to learn that anyone's seriously following their stories?

must hide self... better :)

Lithos

The feature would be neat, but it does need to be modifiable so that the users can select if they want to be seen, and also select if they want to see.

I think that it needs to be short list in format of "Last seen by: list of names" or in case of more popular threads, we would have pretty huge list of stuff :p
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Avis habilis

Quote from: Vekseid on June 09, 2009, 04:31:35 PMI'm very paranoid about including code in Elliquiy that I haven't thoroughly reviewed or hasn't been reviewed by SMF's team. That the last two mods completely failed to work did not make me any happier -_-

Wise policy.

Xillen

I guess the "Show others your online status?" would be good enough as an indicator if you want others to know that you're checking their threads, since they can already check it in the "Who's Online" button with that option on.

The other options would probably be something like "Show recent viewers", just like "Show avatars" and "Show signatures".

Would be an awesome mod.

Dakota

That actually shouldn't be too hard