Game of Thrones: Ascension - Freeform, Sandbox GoT Group - Open to All

Started by GnothiSeauton, May 21, 2017, 12:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GnothiSeauton

Game of Thrones - Ascension

"When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground."

An Overview

Game of Thrones - Ascension is a freeform, fluid and sandbox style group game that takes place in George R. R. Martin's Westeros.

This group, for the sake of sanity and what seems to be a bit more widespread, will be based on the television show, rather than the book series.  It seems that more people are familiar with the show rather than having been familiar with the books, and since it's easier than trying to explain the differences in the story, the television show as a basis is a best bet.

In terms of settings, this group will take place what would be sixty-something years after Daenerys Stormborn has been crowned the Queen of Westeros following the Great War between men and the white walkers.  For the sake of sanity, most of the characters from the show will be deceased, and will instead focus upon the offspring of these characters in the middle of Westrosi politics at it's finest and bloodiest:  A Great Council.

Following the death of Daenerys of old age, the Seven Kingdoms are left without a rightful heir to the throne.  According to custom, when there is doubt and questions revolving around the line of succession, a Great Council is called in order to decide upon the next ruler of the kingdom by vote.  However, with no Targaryen left to claim the throne, it sets up a unique and difficult moment in Westrosi history, where the Targaryen line is officially extinguished, and a new dynasty begins, elected by a Great Council.

This story takes place a considerable time after the events of the show, as such, most of what happens during and after Daenerys's conquest is simple guess work and just some dreams and plotting, starting from the end of season six.

You're welcome to choose a character of any noble house, including your own, with the exception of the Targaryens.  Blackfyre bastards will be considered, but must have a considerable history and argument to take on such a role.  Small Council and Warden positions are available and open to all, but again, must have a considerable history and argument to take on a role that has such influence and power in the realm.

This is going to take place in the extreme section of the forum.  This is in order to help give every writer the chance to have full creative freedom that is allowed on the site.  A header system will help to ensure that you don't read anything you don't want to read.

This is also a fluid story.  There is no pre-set person who will take the throne in the end.  That's to be determined during the politicking and story development.  The more intrigue, the better.

For the setting, this group will focus primarily in King's Landing.  There will be threads, depending upon the amount of interest, that are based in other locations throughout the kingdom that are based on regions (i.e. The Westerlands, the North, etc.) as well as a History thread.

There are a few restrictions on characters that you'll find out about more in depth in the Character Creation section.

It should also be noted that the majority of the background information of the world is based upon the show up to the end of season six, which includes spoilers of what has happened during the show, as well as guesswork at how things might play out during the seasons beyond.  This is your official spoiler warning.

Major credit to Rel Mayer and Red Lobster for inspiring this.

Rules

Most of these are pretty simple and common stuff.  But, after a few incidents in past group games that I've run, I've had to make some of these clear and put out there for everyone.

• Real Life comes first.  Don't let anyone pressure you into thinking you have to post when life is going on.  Writing can always wait.
  • Don't feel pressured to write.  Writing should be fun and relaxing, not a chore.  There is no set pace here for the group, and is really intended to be relaxed and enjoyable, with a sandbox atmosphere.
  • Be respectful, courteous, and so on in the OOC.  Pretty self explanatory.  If you have a disagreement, or something negative to say, keep it to yourself, or in PMs.
  • Don't take IC Drama and remarks seriously.  It's just a game, with characters that are not representations of the writer.
  • If you can't get along with someone in the group, ignore them.  I'm not your babysitter or referee.  I don't think it's asking a lot for people to act like grown-ups and have a bit of maturity.
  • Be respectful of other writers IC.  No godmodding.  No forcing of sexual scenes without prior discussion.  Keep an eye on whether a scene is open or close.  Don't kill characters without discussing it with other writers.  Watch out for the content warning in the header.  Common sense stuff.
  • Don't be afraid to speak up if you have ideas or thoughts.  I welcome discussion and input, from anyone.
  • If you're going to leave, whether for good or a few weeks with real life stuff, let me know.  This is so that I have an idea of the number of characters and who is still in and whatnot.  Plus it makes things easier for everyone when there's a general knowledge of who is in and who is out.
  • Use the header for IC posts, and be mindful of the rating tag.  Header is there for to make things simple and organized.  Additionally, not everyone is into extreme stuff, and I ask that, should there be any extreme elements in your post, to mark it appropriately in the header.

One Last Message (Gifs)

Please PM your final character sheet submissions to me.
If I can't have you, my love...  I'll destroy you
~World Building Workshop ~ Current Ideas and Requests  ~
~ Preferences ~ Status  ~ Nightmares and Inspirations~
~Gnothi's Stories Without Homes~
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

GnothiSeauton

There's still plenty of space and room for writers who want to join in.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

Aiden

This game deserves a bump...and then it will get hella crowded once the new season starts and the flood of GOT games hits E.

Vlexia

Quote from: Aiden on May 30, 2017, 11:16:23 AM
This game deserves a bump...and then it will get hella crowded once the new season starts and the flood of GOT games hits E.

Only days away!!!

If you cannot honor a No, then you certainly could never honor a Yes.

yuki92

I'm actually interested in joining in. Maybe i will play a commoner who is a highly skilled blacksmith and inventor (mainly trivial and insignificant things) . is that okay?

and by the way, is this game already running?

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: yuki92 on May 30, 2017, 08:24:35 PM
I'm actually interested in joining in. Maybe i will play a commoner who is a highly skilled blacksmith and inventor (mainly trivial and insignificant things) . is that okay?

and by the way, is this game already running?

Both concepts sound interesting.  If you do go down the inventor route, I'd like to hear a bit more of what you have in mind.

The only IC thread that has been open is the History and Past thread, where people can write out scenes taking place before the formal opening of stuff. 

I am planning on beginning to open the current, actual, IC threads this week.  I had been holding off on doing it right away since there were, and still are, some sheets that are being worked on.  My thoughts are that they're going to be based around King's Landing, including the Castle, Kingswood/Bay, and City, and expand from there.

Seeking New Stories

la dame en noir

Horribly intrigued and trying my best to come up with a concept.
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

RobHumph

Have to say I'm deeply interested in this one. Even if it does start after the Mannis was slain by the bastard of bolton with the aid of Ser Twenty of House Goodmen.

But yeah, very interested in seeing where this will go.

GnothiSeauton

If I can help answer any questions about the group feel free to let me know :)

Seeking New Stories

GnothiSeauton

More IC threads have been opened, but don't let that discourage you if you're thinking about joining.  I'm still expecting a few more characters from writers, so there's plenty of time to jump in and get going.

The City of King's Landing
The Red Keep
The Surrounding Areas of King's Landing

Seeking New Stories

Kokaine

As usual, I am looking to build not only connections but plots with my characters, Quinntara Martel and Malyna Arryn. Im open to ideas so if you're lurking or wanting to come in connected, hit me up!
Current Craving/Looking For: Romance, Adventure, Action, Humor, and Erotica. (F/Any)

Current Post Rate: Moderate

Current Posts Owed: 1/8

My O/Os

Untamed Skies

This looks like just the kind of game I've been craving for a what feels a little bit like forever. Hopefully I can create a concept that works well for it.

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: Untamed Skies on June 04, 2017, 12:31:27 PM
This looks like just the kind of game I've been craving for a what feels a little bit like forever. Hopefully I can create a concept that works well for it.

You're more than welcome to join, Untamed :)

Feel free to ask any questions.  Always happy to help.

Seeking New Stories

Untamed Skies

GnothiSeauton

If anyone is interested, I'm still looking for a salt wife/partner in crime for Elmo.

I saw it as being a deeply committed, loving relationship between two savvy cutthroats who will stop at nothing to get what they want.

Seeking New Stories

RedEve

Is there still room in this game for a scheming Dornishwoman with a penchant for courtly intrigue?
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: RedEve on June 06, 2017, 01:54:39 AM
Is there still room in this game for a scheming Dornishwoman with a penchant for courtly intrigue?

Definitely

Seeking New Stories

RedEve

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: RedEve on June 06, 2017, 09:03:28 AM
Has anyone claimed House Yronwood yet?

Nope.

Still available.

There's a list in the game info thread of the various houses that are in use or that have been claimed in essence.

Seeking New Stories

RedEve

Quote from: GnothiSeauton on June 06, 2017, 09:08:27 AM
Nope.

Still available.

There's a list in the game info thread of the various houses that are in use or that have been claimed in essence.

Thanks!

I see that Amelita and Kokaine have claimed the two Dornish houses so far, I think it would make sense to reach out to them for a shared history.

I will try to get you a first draft of my CS later today.

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: RedEve on June 06, 2017, 09:13:24 AM
Thanks!

I see that Amelita and Kokaine have claimed the two Dornish houses so far, I think it would make sense to reach out to them for a shared history.

I will try to get you a first draft of my CS later today.

Mhm. They're writing ;Martell sisters, and I believe Aiden is working on something for House Dayne.

Seeking New Stories

The Lovely Tsaritsa

Quote from: GnothiSeauton on June 05, 2017, 03:48:42 PM
If anyone is interested, I'm still looking for a salt wife/partner in crime for Elmo.

I saw it as being a deeply committed, loving relationship between two savvy cutthroats who will stop at nothing to get what they want.

I would like playing salt wife, if still needed, and if you're interested. :-)

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: lovelylilT on June 06, 2017, 01:47:40 PM
I would like playing salt wife, if still needed, and if you're interested. :-)

Hi there, Lovely :)  Glad to see it caught your interest.

Let me get back to you about that though.  I recently was approached by someone about that idea, and it's been under discussion.  I'd just like to see how that goes before hearing others out.

Seeking New Stories

The Lovely Tsaritsa

ererruz

Who should I contact if I'm interested in a character belonging to House Velaryon? :)