Dynasty Warriors and related content discussion

Started by Aiden, November 11, 2010, 05:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiden

http://dynastywarriors.aeriagames.com/

So...I am a huge fan of Koei's game series "Dynasty Warrior's"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynasty_Warriors

It is based off the "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" novels.

Anyone else a fan of the history? The games? Or if they want to play a free MMO, I am going to be trying it out.

Join Wei, best kingdom.
Shu sucks!

All hail Cao Cao!

Blinks

Eh? A dynasty warriors MMO. How does that work?

Well, i suppose you could start as a soldier. Upgrade your equipment and such over time from engaging in battles carefully. Then, at some point, perhaps months into it. You can get murdered by an almost untouchable being of destruction as they slaughter their way past you.
Battle cattle are indeed a formidable foe

Seka

Heheh, actually you're the untouchable being doing the slaughtering. basically you're one of the generals, surrounded by peons ripe for the killing.

I wanted to get into the MMO but the tutorial is soooo long and boring. And it's trying to teach me how to play Dynasty Warriors. I could teach it a thing or two about playing that game!

I love the series. Always side with Wei or Wu. Agreed, Shu sucks!

I've actually done a couple Dynasty Warriors/3 Kingdoms based roleplays but they were sadly short lived.

Rachubka

Kunoichi

Aiden

I tried to play the mmo beta, I really did but it was so god awful boring I just quit.

Shu sucks, go take your virtue and honor elsewhere, I'll stick to the side who kicked ass.

Rachubka

Aiden

He was pretty impressive, I love his ploys in the book.

"Man, I bet they can't shoot 100,000 arrows at me...suckers!"

DarklingAlice

I adore the history and the novel (although as far as Luo Guanzhong's works go, I prefer Water Margin). I am also quite a fan of KOEI's Romance of the Three Kingdoms games (7 and 10 were the best, in my opinion). But I am constantly disappointed with the Dynasty Warriors series. It is just way too simplistic compared to the grand maneuvers you can get up to in the strategy games (e.g. Just earlier this evening I was playing Zhuge Liang in R3K 10 and managed to hold off a 60,000 man Wei force with just 7,000 elite troops by starting a massive forest fire in the woods the enemy was marching through and properly judging the spread of the fire based on wind direction). Dynasty Warriors is fun, but it just gets so repetitive (in my opinion) and never seems to generate the same level of epicness as the original video game series or the novel.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Rachubka

I watched Red Cliff on a plane when I went for a trip. It was pretty neat. :D

OMG! Great idea! Dynasty Warriors RP. lol

DarklingAlice

Quote from: Rachubka on November 18, 2010, 08:17:29 PM
I watched Red Cliff on a plane when I went for a trip. It was pretty neat. :D

Seconded! Takeshi Kaneshiro is so cute and made an amazing Zhuge Liang. And Tony Leung Chiu Wai is always awesome. I need to see if I can get my hands on the complete 4+ hour cut.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Caeli

Augh... you watched the international cut? x__x

That was a disastrous mishmash, and was (in my opinion) very badly done. The "shorted" version was a bad representation of what you get from the "long" cut. If I hadn't watched the two-film version about a dozen times before that, I think I would have been severely confused.

But Takeshi Kaneshiro! I love his acting, as always. You should see him in K-20 - he's hilarious!
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Aiden

Red Cliff was alright, I was not a big fan of it, since it was all Shu propaganda.

But I hope more movies come out on the setting.

I like the hack and slash of the Dynasty Warriors game, I do not play the PC version all that much.

And I would SO play in a Romance of the Three Kingdoms game/Rp.

Caeli

I'm not a big fan of the hack-and-slash. I like the cutscenes, though, and while it is oversimplified, I enjoy how much setting and story and history they incorporate into the game.

I've always thought it would be fun to do a Three Kingdoms roleplay, but I love the setting/culture/history so much, I'm not sure I wouldn't be able to NOT drive my partner crazy.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Rachubka

Shu is awesome, dammit Aiden!

Well, naturally... I think what we'd have to do if we did do a Romance of the Three Kingdoms RP is just have characters on one side fighting on two fronts... and probably the 'prelude' stuff.

Wouldn't be anything like Shu, Wei, and Wu, but something... similar, just so that we don't have people like Aiden getting furious if our army is dressed in green. :)

Aiden

I know I would have some inaccuracies in the culture/behavior of the time myself.

Haha I would kill anyone who is in Shu! Kidding, they are just not my side of choice, I would so be in Wu, a Pirate on the southern rivers like Gan Ning of the bells!

SHAMOKE!!!!!!
(The barbarian bastard that killed Gan Ning, for those who don't find the name familiar)

Man, now I feel like re-reading the novels... >.<

Caeli

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Aiden

Let's rework some history Caeli, I'll be Cao Cao and my goal of taking the Qaio sisters happen so I can put them in matching towers on opposite side of the river.   >:)

Caeli

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Rachubka

Aiden

Well since you where Shu and Wei wins, you can be in the tower also cursing under your breath how you wish me dead.  XD

DarklingAlice

Heaven Sent Blossom

Slumming it with the peasantry, the Shu way;-p

I'm waiting as close to patiently as I can manage for a new DW game, I'm sure the war of Troy game they do will be interesting and all but it's just not the same if I can't play as Lu Bu. Hopefully they've gotten rid of that terrible Renbu system as well, that pretty much ruined DW 6 for me.

Aiden

Yea I thought the Renbu system was annoying, from what I have been reading it is almost like a revamp to the games and as a fan I will be picking it up. I prefer that over the Orichi warriors mix ups they have been doing.

I like Samurair Warriors and Dynasty Warriors...but I don't want them together. I do admit having Lubu, Honda and Maeda on a three man team was just broken.
SMASH, SMASH, SMASH, SMASH!

Ryven

Lubu has always been a force to be reckoned with even on the easier difficulties.

PS: Wei is the best kingdom ever.  Yay for Cao Pi and his twin swords!