News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Renegade Vile on August 12, 2016, 05:32:20 AM
Because it is a different beast, with different circumstances? And let me put it a different way, when I say "I blame the game" I am saying I blame the developers and the publishers behind the game, as my arguments pointed out. I really don't see how football is the same as a mobile app in this regard.

Your not adding anything knew. Yes, a mobile app and a game are two different things, that doesn't the same principle of responsibility cannot be applied to them, and you have yet to explain why football is exempt from this when Pokemon Go is not. If the management of football is not responsible for the fans who cannot handle the sport, why are the designers of Pokomon Go responsible for the fans who cannot handle the game?

Renegade Vile

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on August 12, 2016, 05:37:47 AM
  Your not adding anything knew. Yes, a mobile app and a game are two different things, that doesn't the same principle of responsibility cannot be applied to them, and you have yet to explain why football is exempt from this when Pokemon Go is not. If the management of football is not responsible for the fans who cannot handle the sport, why are the designers of Pokomon Go responsible for the fans who cannot handle the game?

Actually I said that management IS responsible, hence why I mentioned the enormous heaps of money behind it, that was shorthand reference to the promotions that pour so much into the business that it's less about the game and more about the hype around it, which breeds and feeds a hooligan culture. And this is the last I'll comment on football: the game is a different beast from Pokémon Go, and in both cases I would be among those criticizing the organization behind the game: the promotions for soccer and the publisher/developer for P.Go.

As for why the designers are responsible, it's that gray zone you also get with gambling. How much is the responsibility of the people providing the game, how much is the responsibility of the people playing it. I tend to err on the side of the it being the fault of the implementer, especially if they knowingly exploit and what I've seen from the gaming industry over the years leads me to suspect that they knew exactly what they were doing on that front. This makes a subsequent neglect in researching how their app would actually work in the real world, over a long period of time, even more glaring to me and the source of my criticism towards the game. The gaming industry has become a very dirty, very corrupt business. True, it's always been iffy, and it reached a head once already with the Atari incident, but it's only gotten worse the bigger business it becomes and the work behind Go is among the results thereof.

Regardless, last I'll say on this because any following reply from me will only be tonight at the earliest anyway: the game has a lot of problems and conceptual holes I believe the designers neglected to address in their work on the game, whether intentionally or not, and that's the primary reason I criticize the game harshly.
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on August 12, 2016, 02:17:10 AM
Good. There have been times when I walked around a crowded street and wanted an urgent excuse to get a gun and shoot people in the smartphone.

Could actually make for a nice TV show - the last "un-phoned" on Earth shooting smart phones and blowing up cellphone towers. A bit like Walking Dead meets They Live.  8-)

I think that's just called Cell. It was really, really bad.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 12, 2016, 09:53:08 AM
I think that's just called Cell. It was really, really bad.

The description seems to imply "so bad it's good", but I'm going to guess it's just bad bad?

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on August 12, 2016, 03:15:27 AM
  I don't get this dislike people have for Pokemon Go. Its played by millions of people, the vast majority of which enjoy the game in a responsible way. Football fans cause way more damage, yet I don't see people rushing to blame that game for the actions of its fans. I don't play the game myself, but I certainly don't feel the need to put down the entire player base.

Pokemon Go is fun and has brought many people together.  Here at the office we have groups that meet up regularly to walk and exercise while collecting their Pokemon.  There is a lot of interaction and camaraderie and several people have been encouraged because it inspires others in their family and friend circles to explore an interest in something.  One of our counselors likened it to a scavenger hunt. 

I don't play it myself but I don't have a problem with anyone who does. 

Kythia

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on August 12, 2016, 05:28:58 AM
  It was a comparison, as I previously said. Neither football the game, or the players as a whole, or the management is blamed for the small negative aspect of the fan base, and I was unable to see why pokemon go should be any different despite your insistence that it was.

You know this isn't true right?  Take the recent trouble in the Euros.  Russia were almost expelled from the tournament because the Russian FA wasn't doing enough.  Players have been fined for provoking fan reactions numerous times.  After Heysel in '86 English teams were banned from playing in European football, with Liverpool serving additional time.  The team, management, football association, etc are quite regularly (and correctly in my opinion) blamed for actions of the fan base.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Renegade Vile on August 12, 2016, 09:55:26 AM
The description seems to imply "so bad it's good", but I'm going to guess it's just bad bad?

That's what the reviews implied. I never suffered it myself in person.

Bibliophilia

I am a Stephen King fan.  When the man is on his game, he is fucking brilliant, but those moments of glory and wonder shine like diamonds from fecal matter amidst the rest of his large body of work.

Cell is only one step above the absolute worse thing I've ever read that he has written, Under the Dome.  It's not badly written, and the characters are engaging, which only makes the fact that it's a very bad story even more painful.  I wouldn't wish that book on my worse enemy.

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: Bibliophilia on August 12, 2016, 10:10:44 AM
I am a Stephen King fan.  When the man is on his game, he is fucking brilliant, but those moments of glory and wonder shine like diamonds from fecal matter amidst the rest of his large body of work.

Cell is only one step above the absolute worse thing I've ever read that he has written, Under the Dome.  It's not badly written, and the characters are engaging, which only makes the fact that it's a very bad story even more painful.  I wouldn't wish that book on my worse enemy.

I agree.  There are so many of his stand along novels that are great but he gets into some plot arcs that make no sense and leave readers unfulfilled.  Maybe he had us spoiled so that when he attempted to branch out it displeased us, like his main character from "Mercy." :-)

Lilias

King is at his best in his short fiction. Night Shift, Different Seasons, Skeleton Crew, Nightmares & Dreamscapes, Everything's Eventual, Four Past Midnight and Full Dark, No Stars include more of his finest moments than his novels (especially post-accident) could collect.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Bibliophilia

I agree!  I feel like when he writes longer works of fiction, he falls too in love with the settings and characters he creates, which leads to those troublesome non-endings he's infamous for.

TheGlyphstone

He went through a really bad slump for a while after finishing the Dark Tower series, too. For all of its faults, it was his magnum opus, and he'd built a giant mythos around it tying almost all of his books to-date into it somehow. Once it was 'finished', I think he sort of drifted for a while.

Beguile's Mistress

I agree about the drifting.  He would often seem, to me at least, like an explorer looking for another continent where could feel at home.

Blythe

A journalist for The Daily Beast, Hines, did some horrible "journalism" that might endanger gay athletes who're competing in the Rio Olympics.

Hines basically set out to entrap and out these men. This isn't journalism. This is...I don't know what this is. Other than wrong.

At least the Beast removed the article and issued an apology, although if any athletes from countries where homosexuality is illegal were successfully outed before the article was removed, fat lot of good that apology is.  >:(  Hopefully nothing bad will happen as a result of this, but still. This was dreadful.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Blythe on August 12, 2016, 02:46:20 PM
A journalist for The Daily Beast, Hines, did some horrible "journalism" that might endanger gay athletes who're competing in the Rio Olympics.

Hines basically set out to entrap and out these men. This isn't journalism. This is...I don't know what this is. Other than wrong.

At least the Beast removed the article and issued an apology, although if any athletes from countries where homosexuality is illegal were successfully outed before the article was removed, fat lot of good that apology is.  >:(  Hopefully nothing bad will happen as a result of this, but still. This was dreadful.

Oh it is journalism. Its modern journalism where integrity has long gone out the window and they only really care about getting the clicks and recognition, no matter whether its something the public really should know or puts others at risk. Its all about the money now :-(

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Blythe on August 12, 2016, 02:46:20 PM

It's basically what tabloids would do, but only in more mainstream journalism. It's despicable and, somehow, not something spoken out against more than it should.

TheGlyphstone

Makes me pine for the days when Elvis was spotted in airport bathroom with Bat Boy.

Oniya

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 12, 2016, 04:14:35 PM
Makes me pine for the days when Elvis was spotted in airport bathroom with Bat Boy.

Don't you go smearing Bat Boy like that!
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Oniya on August 12, 2016, 04:18:16 PM
Don't you go smearing Bat Boy like that!

Hey, after you get your own musical, the only place to go from there is down.

Lustful Bride

People cheer in the streets as IS is finally pushed out of the city of Manbij after intense fighting and shelling.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/women-rip-off-their-burqas-as-syrian-residents-of-manbij-celebrate-rescue-from-isil/ar-BBvzMBj?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

In other great news IS frees hundreds of Civilian prisoners as they retreat from other zones, running from Coalition forces.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/is-frees-hundreds-of-civilians-in-north-syria/ar-BBvzXoJ?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

The clock is ticking ever faster for their inevitable defeat.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Lustful Bride on August 13, 2016, 10:09:24 AM
People cheer in the streets as IS is finally pushed out of the city of Manbij after intense fighting and shelling.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/women-rip-off-their-burqas-as-syrian-residents-of-manbij-celebrate-rescue-from-isil/ar-BBvzMBj?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

In other great news IS frees hundreds of Civilian prisoners as they retreat from other zones, running from Coalition forces.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/is-frees-hundreds-of-civilians-in-north-syria/ar-BBvzXoJ?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

The clock is ticking ever faster for their inevitable defeat.

All wonderful news, but I'm extremely skeptical that they can be defeated in any conventional manner. Not because they're using cheat codes, but because in many ways they're nomadic anyway. They'd lose in power, but their supporters have spread all the way to North-Africa by now.

TheGlyphstone

I think, like Al-Qaeda, ISIS will eventually transition from a coherent organization into a sort of loose rallying banner for Islamic extremist malcontents.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Renegade Vile on August 13, 2016, 01:13:31 PM
All wonderful news, but I'm extremely skeptical that they can be defeated in any conventional manner. Not because they're using cheat codes, but because in many ways they're nomadic anyway. They'd lose in power, but their supporters have spread all the way to North-Africa by now.

Ironically we have been having such successes against IS because we are fighting a more conventional war with them. They have bases, territory to be retaken and commanders and positions with intel to take. Their desire to create an actual nation under their rule made them weak to all of the problems a nation at war has. And they have none of the strengths of an actual nation, no allies, no real supply lines no bargaining chips aside from oil. (and we have been bombing all of their oil trucks into oblivion).

But yeah. We are defeating the real beast of IS, but like before once that is done, they will simply spread out like cancer cells and have to be destroyed at the Cell level, causing the same problems as AQ and the Taliban.

Its almost fascinating in a way when you think about it. They really could be compared to a weaker cancer. The main body (everyone else) is too strong and determined to ever let the cancer spread to such a level to do true damage. While the Insurgents (the cancer) are dug in so deep and spread out that its almost unrealistic to think we will ever kill every single one to the point their organization is dead.

Its like being stuck in limbo, neither side is really going to win. Its like fighting Organized Crime groups. (Mafia, Triad,Yakuza,Cartel) you cannot beat them but you can hurt them enough that they wont be a danger to the average civilian going about their day.

Wow that was longer than I intended @3@

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Lustful Bride on August 13, 2016, 01:46:18 PM
Ironically we have been having such successes against IS because we are fighting a more conventional war with them. They have bases, territory to be retaken and commanders and positions with intel to take. Their desire to create an actual nation under their rule made them weak to all of the problems a nation at war has. And they have none of the strengths of an actual nation, no allies, no real supply lines no bargaining chips aside from oil. (and we have been bombing all of their oil trucks into oblivion).

But yeah. We are defeating the real beast of IS, but like before once that is done, they will simply spread out like cancer cells and have to be destroyed at the Cell level, causing the same problems as AQ and the Taliban.

Its almost fascinating in a way when you think about it. They really could be compared to a weaker cancer. The main body (everyone else) is too strong and determined to ever let the cancer spread to such a level to do true damage. While the Insurgents (the cancer) are dug in so deep and spread out that its almost unrealistic to think we will ever kill every single one to the point their organization is dead.

Its like being stuck in limbo, neither side is really going to win. Its like fighting Organized Crime groups. (Mafia, Triad,Yakuza,Cartel) you cannot beat them but you can hurt them enough that they wont be a danger to the average civilian going about their day.

Wow that was longer than I intended @3@

The only way to more or less defeat them is to get rid of the sway their ideology has. Once it becomes so unattractive that they simply cannot find recruits, they will fizzle out and become just a local group of miscreants and fundamentalists. But, we're a long way off from that, and for that to happen, a lot of things would have to change in the Middle-East as a whole.

Lustful Bride