Iron Gods (Pathfinder; Recruiting until Aug 27)

Started by Dakkon, August 16, 2014, 02:39:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiraMirror

It's fine, I understand.  I think I'll take a look at the Warpriest, in any case. I'm not really big on casters, and Warpriest is slightly less caster-y than a standard cleric. ^^
On's and Offs -  Please read before asking for a story <3

Ghostwheel

Quote from: ThatOneShrroth on August 20, 2014, 11:35:20 AM
Tl;dr: What is a Flying Blade supposed to even do?

The advantage of the flying blade is that they're not limited to melee, which makes it a hell of a lot easier to hit with full attacks.

What this means is that you can build entirely glass cannon since you're not going to be in melee much anyway. Then just abuse Precise Strike to do tons of damage without having to go through the nuisance of getting into flanking or spending a move action to get next to an enemy in order to make a full attack.

Add onto that, the flying blade can use this from 60' away rather than the 30' the Swashbuckler is normally limited to. Finally add on things like Bleeding Wound and Targeted Strike as you like to further add a twist to combat and deal status effects that completely disrupt their ability to fight well--without a save. And since attack modifiers quickly outclimb AC for the most part, you won't have trouble hitting either way.

Hope that helps!

Quote from: Chulanowa on August 20, 2014, 12:18:37 PM
Poor Rangers, still don't know what a good archetype looks like!

Have you looked at the Freebooter archetype? Pretty damn awesome IMO for giving your party a huge bonus to attack and a decent one to damage. Low attack, high damage characters love them, and Freebooter's Bane is untyped so it'll stack with just about anything.

MiraMirror

Ghostwind: Okay, I can see that working well, but it also seems like one of those classes that doesn't do well without a good chunk of gold. Thrown weapons are nice with Flying Blade, but you either buy a ton of them, get them enchanted with Returning, or buy that belt that uh...I can't remember the name of it...and use Quick Draw with it. I'm so torn right now. ;~; Also, how would a Flying Blade do full attacks with thrown weapons? You'd have to throw one, draw one, and repeat, right? Or could you TWF throwing daggers/ starknives to the same effect? I don't think Precise Strike works with TWF, though... (Also, would you mind continuing this via PM? I don't want to accidentally clog up the thread.)
On's and Offs -  Please read before asking for a story <3

Ghostwheel

Continuing via PM as requested... beep boop, "Ghostwind"? :P

Dakkon

Quote from: Raelice on August 21, 2014, 12:56:56 PM
Tentatively look at making either an Alchemist, an arcanist, or a shaman.

If I went with the alchemist I would be a crafter of various sorts, always experimenting with the new technology hoping to delve into the secrets it holds. The sheer joy discovering an artifacts use would be more valuable then the gold it's worth.

The Arcanist would be of a similar nature, though more experimenting with magic's rather than artifacts.

The Shaman would take the possessed shaman archetype, being born in numeria with whispers always intruding in his mind as a child. He later learned to interpret these things and gained from their knowledge.

Rough Ideas for now, several others that are coming into my head that I'll expound upon later. The most likely is shaman right now.
Given that people have already applied with the Arcanist and Alchemist classes, I'd say Shaman is your safest bet so far.

Chulanowa

Alright well, y'know how I was likely to change up my barbarian lady? Well... no freaking kidding!  XD I got hit by a sudden burst of inspiration, and rather than try to wrangle brown Sonja into submission, I decided to just go with my initial idea, slightly tweaked...

Name: Corrag
Race: Half-orc
Class: Barbarian
Campaign Trait: Against the Technic League

Background
   Corrag hails from the West, where Lastwall, Ustulav, and the Hold of Belkzen adjoin. He was always reminded that his bloodline was equal parts tainted and pure - he bore in his veins the greatest of war-heroes, and the most miserable of enemies; Of course, those heroes were orcs and the enemies human. Growing up among the orcs of Belkzen, it was of course imperative to never succumb to the weakness of that taint, and to strive for the example of the ancestors.
   of course, not all can be savagery and war; Corrag's tribe by necessity had somewhat peaceful dealings with nearby human villages - the primitive Kellids had little worth raiding for, and put up enough of a fight to earn some respect. A one of the few half-orcs, Corrag was often the go-between. Two barbarous people, coming together, to trade weapons, trade hides, and more often than not, trade blows
   It was one such Kellid that has driven Corrag on his current quest; A heavily scarred, strange man from further east challenged Corrag's honor, and paid the price. As his token of victory, Corrag claimed the man's armarment - with his shattered arm, the human would need it no longer. The work of the weapon was exquisite, the material surprising; when he asked the other Kellid about where their fellow had gotten it, they shrugged and pointed eat, speaking the name of Numeria, and Torch.
   Corrag's cheiftain was no fool, as orcs went. If far-off Numeria were a source of fine weapons like this, then they should be in the tribe's hands! He gathered some of his loyal warriors together, including Corrag, and saddled them with a mission - to find out about these weapons, and come back, wither with loot, or a trade route. Again. As orcs go the chieftain was no fool.
   Most of the party was lost in dark Ustulav; the remainder took a good look at the wastelands of Numeria opening before them, and turned back, probably never to return. But not Corrag. Corrag has invested too much time to back out now, and besides - if Numeria really is the home of such weapons, why shouldn't he stay, and become his own chieftain?

In Torch
   Corrag came to Torch because of, well, the torch. His understanding was that Torch's forges were the primary source of the skymetals he had been learning about. And wouldn't it just so figure, the damned thing goes out a few days after he arrives. Despite his... distinctive appearance, he has managed to get some rapport going with Dolga Feddert - the old dwarf certainly doesn't trust the savage, but he's been respectful ("honored Elder" is a good title to approach her with, apparently) and has answered some questions about the make of his weapon.
   Corrag has also learned about the Technic League; from what he knows, he understands that they are an impediment to his goal of claiming good weapons for his tribe (whether the one back home, or one he envisions for himself...) He's also sharp enough to realize that if Torch can't pay its debts, the league takes the town in hand... and he can't accept that. not while he's so close... and thus, he's become part of the effort to seek the cause of the Torch's disappearance. That so many others have gone in to never return will just make the glory of his victory all the greater!

Personality
   Though raised with orcs, Corrag is not evil... Well, perhaps by standards of the goodly deities, he could be. Good and evil aren't what's truly important anyway - Strength and honor are what are important! That one comes from the other just makes it so much simpler. Corrag is a very proud person; his bloodline is supposedly heroic, he's the only one of his tribe's expedition brave enough to continue, and he'd wager his strength against any four of the runts in Torch!
   Though on the taciturn side, Corrag's not a loner or isolationist; he's tribal, you need all hands on deck to succeed. You have to trust, you have to assist, you have to know people! or you're alone, and a lone orc is a dead orc - the irony that he believes this, and yet is the lone one of his tribe to forge into Numeria is lost on him. Unlike many half-orcs, his time as a "diplomat" (basically, diplomacy consisted of formalized ass-kickings...) has made him at ease with his heritage somewhat. He regards himself as being of Kellid blood, though the Kellids themselves might dispute the claim.

Description
   You might never guess Corrag to be a half-orc - Part of this is the fact he's almost a human cube, five-feet eight inches, broad-shouldered, covered in muscle... but mostly it's due to the sun-bronzed, orange-tinted skin, the beetled brow, and of course, the jutting tusks. His human qualities are minor, but once noticed, evident - clear blue eyes, thick, smooth-textured hair cropped into a crest, and a surprisingly rich-timbred voice... One almost wants to hear the man sing. Everything about him speaks of tension and power.

Dakkon

Just a heads up, I am alive, but have whisked back halfway around the world to find my net is non functional. Hopefully it will be soon, just keep in mind that I will be slow to reply.

Ghostwheel

Background has been updated to include robots, androids, and homeless waifs on the run.

Ala Rai Sen

I'd like to toss my hat in as well.
Name: Luka
Race: Human (Garundi-Kellid mix)
Class: Arcanist (White Mage & Unlettered Arcanist archetypes)
Sheet: http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=13731
Campaign Trait: Local Ties

Personality: Luka is friendly and outgoing, always willing to meet new people, this is most likely due to Khonnir and Val's influence, given her background. Luka is open and upbeat, and makes friends easily. However, everyone has a sore spot and hers involves her old tribe and traditional Kellid values.

Background: Luka is the daughter of a Black Horse tribesman named Dolak and a Garundi caravanner named Ashia, whom Dolak had saved after she was separated from her caravan and left for dead. Raised by her father, since Ashia fell ill while pregnant and died giving birth to Luka's younger brother Barek, her life was fairly typical for a Kellid child. Though without their mother, the two sibling grew to become especially close.

However, this changed in her late teenage years, when she started displaying an innate talent for magic. Unsurprisingly, she was banished from the tribe shortly after her talent was discovered. She may not have survived the hazards of the numerian wastes, if it weren't for a pack of supplies that Barek had snuck out to her. With these supplies she was able to last long enough to be found by Khonnir and Val.

After hearing her story, Khonnir took her in as another adopted daughter. Living with Khonnir and Val, she joined Val in her magic lesson, though thanks to her innate magic, she started casting complete spells before Val, thus developing a friendly rivalry between the two. Added to this, she became greatly interested in the technological wonders of the land, and when she wasn't practising her magic, she was studying the few books of technology that Khonnir had. And of course, when she wasn't doing either of those, she spent her time much in the same way that Khonnir and Val did, helping the folks around Torch.

Now with Khonnir's disappearance, she has become frantic. She wants to head out to find him as soon as possible, but knows that she would not survive long on her own, and at the same time, she doesn't want to risk Val, the only member of her adoptive family that she has left. Now she can be found around town, trying to find people and information to help in her search.

TheGlyphstone

Gannak Half-Man
Human Male Summoner (Synthesist) 1
Campaign Trait: Local Ties
Appearance: Dresses as nicely as he can afford, generally in secondhand finery, and generally maintains his personal appearance as best he can. Hides his prosthetic leg inside his trousers, but has to wear his prosthetic arm (much cruder than the image) openly to manipulate it.

Personality:Exhuberant, cheerful, and  outgoing often to the point of unnerving strangers. Even without his eidolonic shell, his demeanor is of one permanently enthused with what life has to offer, completely at odds with the arthritic and clumsy movements of his crippled limbs. If he cannot simply survive having half his body roasted away by the violet flames, but regain his old dexterity and more via mechanics and magic, he can surely overcome anything else fate might choose to throw in his path. People who succumb to anything less as obstacles aren't worth paying attention to.

Background:
Gannack Smeltman was a smith, son of a smith and grandson of a smith. His grandfather had been a Khellid tribesman with a talent for ironworking, and was among the first to set up shop around the Torch when it burst into the sky. He made his family prosperous in the blacksmithing business, and each son of the line followed in his footsteps. Gannack's own father took up the forge-cart from his father, and Gannack in turn took it from him. But disaster struck not long after Gannack's twentieth birthday; seeking to finish a particularly difficult piece of work, he impetuously lingered just a few moments too long - rushing to avoid the fire, he tripped. He was still alive when others returned to the hilltop, albeit unconscious with his left arm and leg cooked to blackened meat and hideous burns along the flesh of his side. Through luck, will, and the skilled care of the local apothecary Jhestine, Gannack survived, though many thought death would have been more merciful to the former smith.

Unwilling to settle for the life of a beggar, dependent on his family or the charity of others, Gannack set to repairing himself the best he could - knowing tribal lore would not be up to the task, he immersed himself in the world of mechanics and machinery, studying the functions of devices he had forged parts for but never regarded with interest. Even magic was no longer off-limits, and he found access to both types of knowledge in the hands of two men. Khonnir Baine saw in him a fascinating combination of charity case and experimental subject, taking on Gannack's education as a sort of pet project while giving him access to a library's worth of mechanical and engineering texts that were rare treasures in the wildlands of Numeria. Joram Kyte, the elderly priest of Brigh, saw only a horribly injured young man seeking to understand mysteries that were the domain of The Whisper in the Bronze, and let him use the temple's workshop and material free of charge. In the process, he successfully converted Gannack to the worship of Brigh, and oversaw Gannack as he painstakingly crafted limbs of brass and leather to replace the amputated ones of flesh. Controlled by what remained of his shoulder muscles, neck, and hip, the intricate devices restored to Gannack a haunting shadow of mobility; still dependent on a cane, but with the semblance of a man's shape again at last.

Emboldened by this small success, Gannack was nonetheless at the limits of what mundane machinery could provide him, and so he turned to mysticism for further progress. Now he read texts of arcane theory from Khonnir's archives, and prayed regularly to Brigh in the temple for a miracle. And yet again, both sources delivered in their respective fashions; concurrent with studying a book on extraplanar summons, an emissary of Brigh physically manifested in the temple as Gannack was finishing a plea. The inevitable offered him a deal, in reward for his dedication and ingenuity -while Brigh would or could not restore him to true health, by her leave the inevitable could seal a pact with Gannack and bind to him, through his prosthetics, a portion of his spirit. While calling upon the power of this pact, he would bear the kolyarut's strength inside a echo of its form -but the pact could be temporarily severed by injury, and would require time to repair itself. Joram was overjoyed by the revelation; the humble worshipper in his care had become a partial avatar of his goddess. Khonnir was fascinated as well, intrigued by the arcane means and methodology that formed the foundation of this otherwise divine bargain. Gannack himself, though, saw only victory, the deserved reward for persevering against all odds.

Relationships: Gannack is single. His father died years ago, leaving his mother and several children - Gannack's younger brother inherited the family forge when Gannack was injured, and his sister married out into one of the nomadic tribes. Among the townsfolk, most were either repulsed by his hideous injuries, or unnerved by first his home-built prosthetics and then the otherworldly overlay of his eidolon pact. Joram proved to be one of his few steadfast friends, his relationship with Khonnir something halfway between tutor and test subject. The Baine household in general was in general a uncomfortable place for Gannack - while he appreciated Val's attractiveness, the thought of alienating his mentor by making an expression of his interest kept him silent.

Dakkon

Quote from: Chulanowa on August 23, 2014, 07:51:58 PM
Alright well, y'know how I was likely to change up my barbarian lady? Well... no freaking kidding!  XD I got hit by a sudden burst of inspiration, and rather than try to wrangle brown Sonja into submission, I decided to just go with my initial idea, slightly tweaked...
You've got one too many traits. We're only going with two each and not using drawbacks. Otherwise it looks good.

Chulanowa

Quote from: FallenDabus on August 25, 2014, 12:46:52 PM
You've got one too many traits. We're only going with two each and not using drawbacks. Otherwise it looks good.

Oh! I didn't realize. Alright. Let me juggle some stuff around, then, and I'll have it fixed up nice-like  ;D

Dakkon

As we come into the last 24 hours, you'll want to be finishing up your character sheets if you haven't already.

To inspire everyone, here is a playlist I've put together with some of the music I'm associating with this adventure path:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC1HV2lanYIdKW4ekrxS2kmbtf0FF5J1O

Chulanowa

QuoteLinkin park

...Not sure if want...  :-\

Anyway. Got Corrag equipped. I hope you don't mind the "fiddly bits" of equipment being left a little vague - i find it absolutely tedious to count up every individual piece of chalk my character brings along. "Oh drat if only I had packed seven fishhooks instead of just six!" has never once been uttered at any table I've been at  ::)

Ershin

Updated my sheet. Now includes feats, spells, class features and equipment. All the good stuff.

Dakkon

Okay, here we go!

The party is:
Kythera, Female Android Arcanist, played by Ershin
Valki Karnak, Female Human Archeologist, played by ThisOneGal
Corrag, Male Half-Orc Barbarian, played by Chulanowna
Arafel Olandir, Male Half-Elf Oracle, played by Ghostwheel

Please post your character sheet in the OCC thread, which is found here. We've still got a little bit of group building to do before the game starts properly, which we will do in the OCC thread once we know that everyone is with us.

TheGlyphstone

*plots terrible, horrid fates for the lucky winners and rivals on the waiting list*

Nah, kidding. O:)

Maybe. >:)

Anon315

Curses, took me too long.

Ah well. Best and warmest regards to the rest of you.