The Trouble With Miss USA...

Started by Lilias, May 18, 2010, 01:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilias

...is that she's an Arab. And a Muslim. And the screaming political fringe throws a paddy.

Personally? She's so hot that my laptop is in danger of overheating. Totally a case of 'I'd hit that', straight as I am.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Oniya

Assuming that the quotes in the articles are genuine (I don't watch pageants), I'd be embarrassed for my gender no matter what race she was.  The fluffery about her being an Al Quaeda plant was pretty ridiculous, but suggesting that birth control was a 'controlled substance'?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lilias

Well, given the culture she's from, she's probably talking about hormonal birth control, not 'unmanning' condoms. Aren't prescription drugs controlled substances?
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Oniya

Only in the sense that you need a prescription.  The two are not equivalent.  Lipitor and Viagara are prescription drugs, but they are not considered 'controlled substances'. 

'Controlled' substances is physician/legal-talk for 'drugs with the potential for abuse', such as pain pills.

There are five levels of what doctors and cops call 'controlled' drugs:

Schedule I: Medications having no legal use.  These substances may be used for research purposes with the proper registration.  Examples:  LSD, heroin.

Schedule II: Medications having a legitimate medical use but are characterized by a very high abuse potential and/or potential for severe physical and mental dependency.  Emergency telepohne orders for limited quantities of these drugs are authorized, but the prescriber must provide a written, signed prescription order.  Examples: morphine, amphetimines.

Schedule III: Medications having significant abuse potential, but less than Schedule II.  Telephone orders are permitted.  Examples: opiates in combination with other substances such as acetaminophen. (Tylenol with Codeine)

Schedule IV: Medications having a low abuse potential.  Telephone orders are permitted.  Examples: benzodiazepines, propoxyphene (Darvocet)

Schedule V: Medications having the lowest abuse potential of the controlled substances.  Some Schedule V products may be available without a prescription (certain cough preparations containing limited amounts of an opiate.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Trieste

Eh.

Just like I wouldn't expect the average person to know the difference between hypertension and hypotension, I don't expect a random beauty queen to know the difference between 'substance controlled by prescription' and 'controlled substance'. It's really not a big deal.

Oniya

So, if the cops ask her if she's on any controlled substances, she's supposed to say 'yes', because she's got a scrip for Yaz?

Trieste

Of course not, but how many cops do you figure get correct answers to that question even 50% of the time?

Oniya

Normally, it's wrong the other way - and it's out of deception, not ignorance ;D

Trieste

Oh, picky picky. s/correct/accurate

Stinker. :P

Lilias

I put down money that if she wins Miss Universe, there won't be a single mention of un-Americanness >.<
~Wendell Berry

Serephino

I guess there aren't more important things to bitch about.  The quote was correct (there wasn't anything better on).  But if you think about it, when you're up there on stage with all those people staring at you, who can think straight.  All of them gave stupid answers void of any real opinion.  They were probably trying to avoid what happened to Miss South Carolina last year.  That's my guess anyway.  But her race?  People just really need to get over the whole Muslim thing.  Somehow, if she competed and wore a swimsuit on stage, I don't think her family are Muslim extremists. 

Mercurial

It's a marvelous age we live in that this is what our pundits have time to fret over.

Jude

I wasn't aware that we chose Miss USA on the basis of her intellectual merits.  It's not like this is a beauty pageant or anything...

At least it's not another Carrie Prejean catastrophe.  I just wish that story would've been followed through loudly and publicly so that everyone could've heard her judgmental comments made on conservative outlets about the sanctity of marriage followed by the release of her sex tape.

Wonder if that's on the net yet... could be hot.

Oniya

Quote from: Jude on May 19, 2010, 08:17:55 AM
I wasn't aware that we chose Miss USA on the basis of her intellectual merits.  It's not like this is a beauty pageant or anything...

That's actually just one of my beefs with pageants in general, although - if we only expect Miss America/Miss USA to be a vapid display piece for little girls to emulate, why bother asking her questions about health care to begin with?

Trieste

Yep.

And off of the link above, I found this gem: Affirmative Action in Beauty Contests. The defensive wording of the author is unpleasant, but the article was an interesting killer of 5 minutes of my life.

MasterMischief

Can I have s'more Arabic women, please?   ::)

Cythieus

I actually don't think she's Muslim. She's beautiful though.

Lilias

Quote from: Azrael, Archangel of Death on June 08, 2010, 08:27:44 AM
I actually don't think she's Muslim.

Actually, she is.

Quote from: CNNDuring and after the Miss USA pageant, Fakih's religious and ethnic identity became the subject of widespread discussion. On the subject of identity, she was quoted as saying "I'd like to say I'm American first, and I am an Arab-American, I am Lebanese-American, and I am Muslim-American."

But yes, she's beautiful, and that's why she won.
~Wendell Berry

Cythieus

I thought I had heard her say somewhere she wasn't practicing or something? Well I don't know what the big fuss about it is anyway. People want to get mad when an Arabic person does anything these days.

Farmboy

Muslim women are supposed to cover themselves, not wear bikinis.
Catholics are supposed to go to church every Sunday.
Taoists are supposed to not care about politics.
Buddhists are supposed to meditate every day.
And Atheists shouldn't shout "Jesus Christ!" when they hit their thumb with a hammer, or "God hates me" when things go wrong.
All these folks will obey their rules when pigs fly, which, y'know, they're not supposed to do.

There are as many different kinds of Muslim as there are different kinds of Christian. I worked with a gorgeous Egyptian woman for years and the other women were, every day, complimenting her on her fabrics. Her clothes were way better looking than any other gal, though I personally preferred it when the western women wore short skirts, which the Egyptian gal never did. But she had a real sense of style, in an Arabic way, and was no doubt quite vain. She probably spent an hour getting ready for work every day. And she never forced her opinions or beliefs on anyone, which is more than I can say about some of the Christians I work with! But there are many types of both, and people should be seen for who they themselves really are, not for the assumptions people have about their race or culture.

Lilias

A similar case, though much milder, considering the cultures involved, is developing in Greece right now. The national beauty queen is Anna Prelevic, daughter of veteran basketball champion Bane Prelevic. The family is of Greek ancestry and hold dual Serbian and Greek citizenship, but there are grumbles among the purists based solely on the name. Twats.
~Wendell Berry

Synecdoche17

Quote from: Trieste on May 19, 2010, 11:43:28 AM
Yep.

And off of the link above, I found this gem: Affirmative Action in Beauty Contests. The defensive wording of the author is unpleasant, but the article was an interesting killer of 5 minutes of my life.

Ugh. Daniel Pipes is not worth listening to - he's a nutcase who believes every Muslim-American is some kind of sleeper agent for al-Qaeda. Note the way he pulls 5-6 examples of Muslim beauty pageant winners out of several decades, and claims to see a trend of "affirmative action" - that's classic anecdotal fallacies at work. How many hundreds of beauty pageants were held across America in that time period?

Heck, if you just look at the 2005-2010 period, at a minimum, there were 55*5 = 275 pageants held (each state has one, plus a national one, every year). But he also looks at college pageants, and there are 2,700 colleges and universities in the USA; I don't know how many hold yearly beauty pageants but it's got to be at least a plurality. Basically, Muslim beauty pageant winners don't even constitute a percentage point of pageant winners, yet he claims we're seeing "affirmative action" at work. Bull-pockey. He's just a xenophobic zealot profiting from stirring the fears of a dwindling white majority.
A book, a woman, and a flask of wine: /The three make heaven for me; it may be thine / Is some sour place of singing cold and bare — / But then, I never said thy heaven was mine.

Ons & Offs, Stories in Progress, and Story Ideas
Absences and Apologies

Leo

Quote from: Lilias on May 18, 2010, 01:06:44 PM
the screaming political fringe throws a paddy.

The funny thing is, most "Miss Anything"s are not all that bright. Let's face it, they don't need brains to earn money -it couldn't be more obvious. I smell desperate racism.
I'm not new. I just... lurk...

Leo

Quote from: MasterMischief on June 01, 2010, 09:30:45 PM
Can I have s'more Arabic women, please?   ::)

There are some over here in Turkey. I'll send you two in exchange for a pale skinned blonde. Deal?

P.S. Intended as a joke, advised to be taken with a grain of salt where it's due :-)
I'm not new. I just... lurk...