D&D Wizarding School: Interest Check (Room for one more)

Started by Skynet, June 12, 2013, 08:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skynet

Hey guys, I wanted to hear what you all think of potential opening scenes.  In order to introduce characters, I was thinking of having the game session begin in class, or maybe on one of the first days in a social gathering.  Like Headmaster Anderlin welcoming all students in the auditorium.

Or the PCs could be part of separate scenes and meet shortly later.  In such a case, the scenes are meant mainly to introduce the PC.

For classes, I have a few ideas:

Discovery and Disarming of Traps for Adventuring Wizards: A Basic Course in the Wolkhart School of Evocation, this class teaches enterprising mages how to detect and disarm hidden traps (both mundane and magical) known to litter dangerous ruins.  The course includes several practice traps for students to practice on over the course of the school year.  An obstacle course known as "The Gauntlet" is located in the catacombs below Redhurst, modeled after a typical dungeon environment.  Students are observed and timed on their performances, and whoever can complete the whole thing within the school years will receive a special prize.

The scene might open up with the PCs going through a harrowing dungeon, only to confront some unassailable threat or obtain a treasure.  It's revealed later that it's a test.

Introduction to Swordplay: Nys and Mel are both Magi, and quite suitable for this course.  While not strictly a magical class, this Basic Course in the Aegis School of Abjuration delves into the basics of close-quarters combat and how mages can use this to supplement their skill set.  Sparring and duels are to be expected.  Perfect opportunity for showing up a hated rival!

Necromancy Courses: Particularly interesting given that several of them don't specifically require necromancy spells.   Isolated in a corner tower and decorated with bones, the Mordant School of Necromancy gives off an unsettling vibe.  One course, Fear and Loathing, is based around helping students overcome their fear of death and the undead.  A stairwell protected by a Magic Circle Against Evil leads into the cellars, full of undead.  Two of the professors will descend the steps with the students and let them interact face-to-face with the students.

Three of these classes can be quite action-y and provide opportunities for people to introduce their characters.

Thoughts?

eBadger

I wouldn't want to leave the others out in a swordplay class, much as Nys may do well there, and of the other two Necromancy promises to be the more social so I lean towards that.  All sound fun tho. 

Sara Nilsson

I think a good way to get the characters to interact is assign us all to the same dormatory, and make us share a room. could be a good start... welcome to the new year, here is your room assignment....

RubySlippers

Swordplay, why would she need swordplay I can just summon something as a class ability on top of my Eidolon my far more capable ally in combat. Anyway aren't swords sharp my character my get hurt?  :D

Skynet

I already have an opening scene for characters to introduce themselves, but I don't think that everybody's done designing characters.

Should I wait a little more?  Even if I start, other characters can still be incorporated later.

RubySlippers

Wait until Monday its fathers day tomorrow and all.

Skynet

Quote from: RubySlippers on June 15, 2013, 10:35:13 PM
Wait until Monday its fathers day tomorrow and all.

Fine with me!

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on June 15, 2013, 01:59:45 AM
I think a good way to get the characters to interact is assign us all to the same dormatory, and make us share a room. could be a good start... welcome to the new year, here is your room assignment....

Good idea, I'll incorporate it!

eBadger

Sara Nilsson