"Roses for Desedemona" -- Spree killers seek M/F victims

Started by Manoir, December 09, 2010, 05:01:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manoir

Solstice Inception  ==>Click this link to go to the new OOC thread, please<==   

Numenor -- I'm new to this and ready to follow your lead but also trying to learn, so for a start, what's "OOC?"

The way I pictured it was for all the context and continuity to appear on a single "NC- Small Group" forum thread,  beginning with a short title/preview post -- with a great graphic I've yet to find -- followed by our character images and sketches, and then a setup-scene post. "opening night" that would take us straight into the story, so one could read everything in sequence, without switching to another link, and so the characters would be right there to check back on while reading.

I've never tried any of this before so I appreciate your advice how it would work this way, or a better or more usual way. Thanks! 

Númenor

Well, OOC stands for Out Of Character. In group games, at least those I've played outside of E., have 2 or more threads associated with them. rThe first is the main thread, in which the game plays in. In this thread there'd just be the story, though perhaps each person's initial post would contain a picture of their character, but not their bio.

A second thread would also be created, the out of character thread. In this one you'd post just to chat, or post ideas about how something in the main game is working out. So, say for example one person was annoying me, or their character actions were pushing me to my limits, you'd post in the OOC thread and avoid clutter in the game thread. It basically serves to keep the game neat and to the point without having to flick around with PM's.

Some larger games have dedicated character threads, which are there just to post character bio's, but for this game there's only a few people involved, so it'd be sensible to link or post all the character sheets into the OOC thread, so people can just check who is playing who.

If you'd prefer to keep character profiles to the main story, I'd recommend placing them all in a single post- if everyone is happy, they could be directly cut and pasted from this thread, and placed in the main or second post you create, so it'd go

Post 1) Graphic/ Title/ Preview
Post 2) Character profiles and images
Post 3) Scene set-up (first proper game post)

If you need any more help, just shout!  :-)

Manoir

Numenor -- Thanks, that's just what I needed to know! Since this narrative is small and working smoothly so far, my choice would be to keep it optimally simple. Once I have all the character bio's, I'll use the "quote" function to lay them out in a single post, preceded by the introduction and followed by the first scene set-up.

Everyone -- In line with what Numenor says above, if there is need for OOC commentary, let's start it on PM and then if necessary create a separate OOC thread, and keep the story to itself -- unless anyone objects? 

rpgirl85

i think it will be better if we create an OOC thread instead of discussing things in pm's...just my opinion...

Manoir

rpgirl --  Enough said, sounds good to me! Would you create it once we start? Or, alternatively, since I'm not sure where it goes or how it would be linked to the main thread, let me know how I should do it.

Númenor

Manoir, I'd title and compose them like this-

Place both main thread and OOC in the extreme small groups section, as I'm assuming snuff and torture both fall into the extreme catagory.

I'd title them like this-

*Name of RP* [Main Game]
&
*Name of Game* [OOC]

The Main Game thread can start with your intro, with a link to the OOC thread. The second post would be your opening, and everyone would start up.
The OOC thread would ideally start with the character profiles in it (if you're not putting them in the Main Game thread), a link to the main thread, and just a note saying it's for OOC discussion. It's just a handly notepad thread really, so it doesn't have to have much order to it!

Manoir

Numenor -- Thanks again!      Now we need a name....   

Lightshock16

Why not Make a sort of alteration on the name of whatever it was you based this on? *cant remember the name lol*

Anyway, Character!

Name: Stephen Worgen
Appearance:

History: Stephen was born to a Family who were all in the Police force, however, He himself never really found much interest in joining the Force. His passion was in Acting, and he's spent his whole life Trying to make it big. While an impressive Actor Himself, He's found himself having more Success in the Directing Area of the Profession. This has led him to becoming a Member of the Production Staff of Othello. He's been there for about a year now, and is now one of the most influencial people in the Group. This led him to meet Kate when she joined, and after a few show's, they started going out with each other, as the hunger to be famous that they shared seemed to draw them together.

Personality: Usually a Very Happy, Cheery person, when it comes to Directing and creating a Masterpiece on Stage, Stephen take's it very Seriously, not being one for messing around, or allowing other's to do so. He also become's very flattering to people if it could involve him getting closer to the top (or to getting Kate closer to the top)

Manoir

Lightshock -- "Surveillance" is the film title, have to think about what kind of variations might work with that. I like your character profile, fits into the story well, too, how it looks like Stephen's ready to be corrupted or turn inhumane if it would advance Kate's career, or his own.

Lightshock16

Hmm, Surveillance?...maybe..."Breach of Security?" lolol...and thanks, I was sorta going for something like that. XD

Manoir

Númenor

I really like that idea, but I'm going to be a massive pedant and suggest that perhaps the couples be closer or next to each other?

Like I say, this is just me being a pedant- if no-one else agrees, it's really not worth your time rearranging everything just because of my lone opinion!

Manoir

Quote from: Númenor on December 12, 2010, 05:33:04 PM
I really like that idea, but I'm going to be a massive pedant and suggest that perhaps the couples be closer or next to each other?

Like I say, this is just me being a pedant- if no-one else agrees, it's really not worth your time rearranging everything just because of my lone opinion!

I tried it. Let me know how you like it. I did something like this before but I don't like how the lights and darks balance.
Also since Zoey is "widowed" she creates a problem with the couples being placed horzontally, except at the very top.

Manoir

Everybody -- Lest anyone think we risk turning this into a Shakespeare seminar, here's all we need to know about Othello in two sentences: For unknown reasons, the bad guy, Iago, spends the whole play convincing his boss, Othello, that Othello's wife, Desdemona, is unfaithful, which she isn't, and when Iago succeeds, Othello smothers and/or strangles and/or stabs Desdemona to death (nobody's quite sure). Iago's wife, Emilia, then reveals Iago's treachery, Iago stabs her to death and Othello commits suicide. Curtains.

Dashenka

I am interested in joining but I have some things first.

- How do the characters die? (Violently, calmy, erotic murders, etc.)
- In which order do they die?
- What kind of character do you still need?
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Manoir

Hello, Dashenka, pleased to meet you!

This is an open-ended, improvised story of violent, but not gory or torturous, erotic murders that will develop as it goes along so the order and other specifics remain to be determined. It grew out of this solo roleplay, still in progress, about how the killers meet. If this group story interests you, the best approach would be to read this thread and see if you'd like to create a character and role that fits it. We'll be starting play soon on the NC-Small Group forum. Thanks for your interest. Feel free to PM me for any details or questions.

It occurs to me that Zoey could work with a partner, usual in the FBI, but that would be up to elfguy, who plays Zoey

Manoir

elfguy

Well my first instinct is for her to approach the two solo, being very sure of herself..
----

Manoir

elfguy-- Your call entirely. Thanks for staying on top of the discussion!

Dashenka -- I've got a few more ideas. Let me know if you're interested and I'm sure we can work something in.

Dashenka

I'm still interested. Please let me hear your ideas :)
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Manoir

Solstice Inception  ==>Click this link to go to the new OOC thread, please<==   

As of Midnight Eastern Standard Time (EST=GMT -5) Tuesday December 21, I'm going to lock this thread and start an OOC thread on the "NC Small Groups" forum. Anyone who hasn't posted a character image and bio on here or PMed me one by the time I lock this will have their part re-cast for another player and won't participate. There'll be no late entries.

The OOC thread will start with some rules, the highlight of which will be that each player is expected to post a minimum of four times per week, roughly every other day. If you feel you'll be unable to do so, please let me know in advance.

I'll put up a starting post for the narrative, along with our title graphic and your character bios and images, on an "NC Small Groups" forum story thread by midnight EST Wednesday.

Thanks for your participation. I look forward to what we'll do!