News:

Main Menu

Sodium RDA

Started by Kurzyk, May 15, 2010, 03:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kurzyk

I have high blood pressure with my diastolic too high. Does anyone know a healthy sodium intake per day for those with high blood pressure?

I've read on some sites that up to 1500 mg per day is recommended. Is that reasonable?

Lilias

A quick search shows that even health authorities don't agree on what is a healthy amount.

QuoteUK Sodium RDA
The US sodium RDA of less than 2,400 mg is higher than the UK Recommended Nutritional Intake (RNI) whose upper limit for sodium is 1,600 mg.

Sodium RDA - Lower for Those with Blood Pressure
People with high blood pressure should consume less sodium as recent research has shown that people consuming diets of 1,500 mg of sodium had better blood pressure lowering benefits. These lower-sodium diets also can keep blood pressure from rising and help blood pressure medicines work better.

Sodium RDA - National Research Council
The National Research Council of the National Academy of Sciences recommends an approximate daily range of 1,100 to 3,300 mg of sodium for adults.

Sodium RDA - American Heart Association
The American Heart Association recommends that for every 1,000 Calories of food consumed, the sodium intake should be 1,000 mg and should not exceed the 3,000 mg limit.

My guess is that, despite not stating it outright, those who advocate lower RDAs for healthy people would suggest an even lower one for cases of high blood pressure. But it seems that 1500mg, including all salt contained in food, is reasonable.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Kurzyk

Great! Thank you Lilias.  :-)

Someone had told me 140 mg... and looking at food that seemed outrageous. Even a light Yoplait yogurt has 85mg heh. 1500 mg is more doable.

Lilias

140?? Unless it was a typo and they meant 1400, such a low intake, even if doable, would be borderline criminal. There is such a thing as sodium deficiency, and for someone with trouble regulating their blood pressure already, it would potentially be very dangerous.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Kurzyk

Wow good to know... yea ill just shoot for 1500 and see how it goes.

Oniya

According to my drug handbook, normal sodium levels in the blood are between 130 and 150 milli-equivalents per liter.  This is not the same as intake by any means.  (*is sure that the biochem people will weigh in here.*)  Hyponatremia can result in cramping, nausea, muscle weakness, increased heart rate and dangerously low blood pressure, among other things.

That's the closest thing I was able to find to 140 anything and a healthy sodium level.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Paradox

Another important thing to remember about sodium is that it should be ingested in a 1:1 ratio with potassium-- which is rather difficult to do considering the fact that most foods are high in sodium and low in potassium, so you may want to consider investing in a potassium supplement or stocking up on bananas and prunes.

For a better explanation, http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09355.html

It's short and easy to read.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker