Skull & Shackles: Pirates of the Skies [Pathfinder | Now closed]

Started by Heady Dionysus, November 29, 2017, 02:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chulanowa

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on December 01, 2017, 12:58:05 AM
That +2 bluff bonus may come more often into play than you imagine :P Sailors/Pirates rarely get to see women on ships (expect so far party composition is female heavy).

Golarion is pretty well-established as mostly being egalitarian between the sexes, so there's probably plenty of pirate ladies out and about. Now, a life of piracy still has a certain physical toll, so the pretty ladies - and lads - are in for a world of timber-shiverin' and booty-plund'rin', b'yarrrrr.

Muse

Hehe.  Piracy was one of the most egalitarian lines of work in the pre-modern world. 

If you were suficiently cut throat and bad ass to be a priate, you were a pirate! 

Don't believe me?  Ever here of this girl?
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Heady Dionysus

Quote from: Chulanowa on December 01, 2017, 01:00:50 AM
Golarion is pretty well-established as mostly being egalitarian between the sexes, so there's probably plenty of pirate ladies out and about. Now, a life of piracy still has a certain physical toll, so the pretty ladies - and lads - are in for a world of timber-shiverin' and booty-plund'rin', b'yarrrrr.
Ditto.  It's a pretty rare place that has one sex dominant over the other in the setting, and the only pretty prominent one I can think of are the drow.

So far, everything is looking good.  I'll just compile the list of what I can see, which results in:

Zaer Darkwail - CN Male Half-Elf Inquisitor of Besmara
Vergil Tanner - CG Female Tiefling Fighter
kingmaster1 - N Female Changeling Witch
Changingsaint - NG Male Human Summoner
Muse - NG Female Aasimar Cleric of Shelyn
Kathyan - NG/CN Female Skinwalker Vigilante
Ziether - Male Tiefling Bloodrager

No one should feel rushed to get a character in as I'll be keeping this open until middle to end of next week.
Discord ID: Heady Dionysus#8726

Saric

Quote from: Heady Dionysus on December 01, 2017, 01:23:05 AM
Ditto.  It's a pretty rare place that has one sex dominant over the other in the setting, and the only pretty prominent one I can think of are the drow.

So far, everything is looking good.  I'll just compile the list of what I can see, which results in:

Zaer Darkwail - CN Male Half-Elf Inquisitor of Besmara
Vergil Tanner - CG Female Tiefling Fighter
kingmaster1 - N Female Changeling Witch
Changingsaint - NG Male Human Summoner
Muse - NG Female Aasimar Cleric of Shelyn
Kathyan - NG/CN Female Skinwalker Vigilante
Ziether - Male Tiefling Bloodrager

No one should feel rushed to get a character in as I'll be keeping this open until middle to end of next week.

Does that mean you are still taking applications? I wasn't sure given how many players you have.
"I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures." - Slovotsky's Law #42

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”― Neil Gaiman, Coraline

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” - Terry Pratchett (Rest in Peace, Master Storyteller)

Heady Dionysus

Well, at the end of the day, I'm going to see what type of characters I can reliably give a game for, so I'll even be considering last minute entries.  At present, I'm mostly just checking and copying stats to make sure they're ok, and avoiding looking over the bios too in depth so that I can give everything an impartial look over when I close recruitment.

If you've got something feel free; it certainly can't hurt :-)
Discord ID: Heady Dionysus#8726

kingmaster1

We've got 3 guys and 4 ladies so far, we clearly need at least 2 more women :-P

Saric

Quote from: Heady Dionysus on December 01, 2017, 01:27:57 AM
Well, at the end of the day, I'm going to see what type of characters I can reliably give a game for, so I'll even be considering last minute entries.  At present, I'm mostly just checking and copying stats to make sure they're ok, and avoiding looking over the bios too in depth so that I can give everything an impartial look over when I close recruitment.

If you've got a limited number of spots I'm rather late to the party and would rather not steal a spot from someone who got here earlier.

Edit: Maybe add me to a list of people to PM if people have to drop out unexpectedly?
"I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures." - Slovotsky's Law #42

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”― Neil Gaiman, Coraline

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” - Terry Pratchett (Rest in Peace, Master Storyteller)

eBadger

Quote from: kingmaster1 on December 01, 2017, 01:38:59 AM
We've got 3 guys and 4 ladies so far, we clearly need at least 2 more women :-P

That's accurate smut-math, yes. 

kingmaster1

Chulanowa

Finding myself pulling towards monk or swashbuckler; maybe, just maybe druid or gunslinger? Hmmm. Will have to mull.

kingmaster1

Quote from: Chulanowa on December 01, 2017, 02:18:49 AM
Finding myself pulling towards monk or swashbuckler; maybe, just maybe druid or gunslinger? Hmmm. Will have to mull.

A druid would get along well with Camilla! She's got the animal patron! ^_^

Muse

Buckaneer!  Awesome human-speciic gunslinger alternate!  :)
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Vergil Tanner

Alas, my first thought for Gunslinger didn't pan out. I wanted to create a sword and pistol-eer, but unfortunately Pathfinder doesn't have, like...any support for that kind of build xD
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

Muse

It doesn't kick imediatly into hgih gear, but unchained rogue with the amateur gunslinger rogue talents.  :) 

Vergil Tanner

Nah, I have a decent idea how I would do it, but to make it anywhere near useful would require either a way to reload a pistol with one hand, or access to revolvers. Since you need two hands to reload a firearm, you'd either need a gun with more than one shot in it, or just a fuckton of guns that you could fire, drop and quickdraw the next one. >.>

I think the Trench Fighter Archetype of the Fighter would work best, especially since it's very Feat intensive.

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

TFcommando

There's a swashbuckler archetype called the Picaroon which does the sword and gun trick.

This could work for level 1.  Go Human.  Take Quick Draw and Rapid Reload.  Buy the the alchemical paper cartridges, which reloading a pistol down to a free action with Rapid Reload.  Shoot & stab as a full-round action, take your 5 foot move back, drop your sword to free a hand, reload your gun, draw another sword.  Instead of having several guns, have several swords!  They're cheap!
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

Zaer Darkwail

Considering he has quick draw I can allow sheath your weapon, load your gun, unsheath weapon again (or more cooler version; throw weapon in air, load gun and catch sword as it lands to your hand). But indeed above swashbuckler archtype fits on fantasy of 'gun and sword' user :). More so give all other swashbuckler abilities and skills which fit for pirate. Also can take Corsair archtype along with above archtype (they replace different things).

Ziether

Quote from: Heady Dionysus on December 01, 2017, 01:27:57 AM

Do you have a preferred format for mechanical information? I did the basics to make sure the character was viable, but I was waiting on any instructions before doing up a full sheet.

Also my image is a massive placeholder. Finding images I can stand to use for tieflings is problematic at best.
Under Emergency Maintenance

Vergil Tanner

Quote from: TFcommando on December 01, 2017, 03:33:38 AM
There's a swashbuckler archetype called the Picaroon which does the sword and gun trick.

This could work for level 1.  Go Human.  Take Quick Draw and Rapid Reload.  Buy the the alchemical paper cartridges, which reloading a pistol down to a free action with Rapid Reload.  Shoot & stab as a full-round action, take your 5 foot move back, drop your sword to free a hand, reload your gun, draw another sword.  Instead of having several guns, have several swords!  They're cheap!

Yeah, but that still requires having loads of swords, which affects encumbrance. And at higher levels? Yeeaaaah, that doesn't work as much. Although, the Picaroon does offer some good options. Later in the game, I'd likely want something like a pepperbox pistol, so I get six shots off before I reload. Probably best to Multiclass between Picaroon gunslinger and Trench Fighter. *nodnod*

Also, Zair, awesome...but not all GM's would do that :P It depends on GM discretion :P

Vergil Tanner

Ok, so...I have a possible Sword and Pistol build!

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Level 1: Picaroon Gunslinger 1
- Gunsmithing as Bonus Feat.
- Weapon Finesse with Light or One Handed Piercing Weapons.
- Two Weapon Fighting with one handed weapon and one handed firearm.
- Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot

Level 2: Picaroon Gunslinger 1 / Trench Fighter 1
- Weapon Focus Pepperbox Pistol

Level 3: Picaroon Gunslinger 1 / Trench Fighter 2
- Rapid Shot, Snap Shot

Level 4: Picaroon Gunslinger 1 / Trench Fighter 3
- Dex to Damage on Pistols

Level 5: Picaroon Gunslinger 2 / Trench Fighter 3
- Rapid Reload

Level 6: Picaroon Gunslinger 3 / Trench Fighter 3
- Sword and Pistol

Level 7: Picaroon Gunslinger 4 / Trench Fighter 3
- Clustered Shots, Improved Two Weapon Fighting

Level 8: Picaroon Gunslinger 4 / Trench Fighter 4
- Mobility, Shot On The Run

The reason I bring this up:

1) Looking for feedback and suggestions.
2) If the above is decent...who thinks I should change Ari to be a Sword and Pistol rather than a two handed sword user? It kind of relies on there being the chance for her to use her Gunsmith Feat to make a Pepperbox Pistol at some point, since I doubt we'll be getting access to revolvers. :P

Vergil Tanner

Though I might change two of those Feats to Weapon Focus: Rapier and Fencing Grace. :P

kingmaster1

With some big help from muse I should have Camilla's stats and stuff up in not too long ^_^

Kathyan

I was thinking myself going Picaroon at the beginning or swashbuckler but at the end the Vigilante with its two personas won the contest, but yeah I think it'd be cool if you went sword and pistol Vergil.

Vergil Tanner

My problem is, it relies heavily on finding the right gun quickly, and is not very useful until like...Level 4. >.> It's an interesting concept, and I would love to play it...buuuuut it relies heavily on not dying until my first few levels have come past. :P