Interest Check: Mad Max meets Death Race

Started by TheHighwayHitman, January 11, 2018, 02:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayHitman

Okay. To start with, hello!

I am looking for a GM interested in hosting a one-shot game that is a cross between Mad Max and Death Race. It would be solo or a small group (all on the same team) and it would be pretty simple and straightforward. We go from one side of the country to the other, competing against the other teams to get there first.

Let the violence, blood, and guts out of the box. Lets blow stuff up.

I suspect this would be best suited as a d20 modern or WoD mortal game. I suspect it would also be adult in nature due to violence, not necessarily sexual content. I am open to having other players, male or female.

My big thing is that I want to drive an 18-wheeler.

Thanks for your time!

Eobelle

Apocalypse world is great for death race style games, but it isn't so great for one-shots

TheHighwayHitman

I am not familiar with apocalypse world. What can you tell me about it?

mai

Quote from: TheHighwayHitman on January 12, 2018, 06:15:49 AM
I am not familiar with apocalypse world. What can you tell me about it?

It's a rules-light narrative system with a couple core mechanics that have been very popular in recent years. The idea is that you narrate the story, and sometimes when you say you do a thing, it's a "move" and you have to roll for the outcome. For example, if I want to seize something by force, that's a move, so I'd have to roll with my "hard" stat (since hard is what you use to seize by force).

All rolls are 2d6 + modifiers (usually just whatever your stat bonus or malus for that particular move is), results are full success on 10+, partial success on 7-9, and failure on 6 or below.

The second edition of the game has really fleshed-out vehicle rules both for creating mad-max style postapocalyptic vehicles and for using them in combat.

The game is designed for use in multi-session campaigns but the rules can be pretty easily adapted to one-shots (you're just going to be leaving off a lot of the progression stuff, since there isn't really time for that in a one-shot).