Favorite Star Wars Era

Started by Sumara, December 23, 2017, 01:24:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sumara

Was thinking of making a request post for a Star Wars rp (as the few I've seen recently look to be full or not really what I was looking for).  Thought it'd be helpful to know what perspective eras people enjoy the most before deciding!
On/Off Scroll

Due to life right now, I'm not able to rp atm.  My recent illness has caused all kinds of problems and I need to spend time correcting them.  I hope to be back soon!

Batman4560

I'd be up for something. My favorite is the Old Republic timeline but I'd be happy to write during any setting.

SithLordOfSnark

I love Star Wars and would totally be in, don't really care about the timeline.
Always looking for roleplays, just keep in mind that I' m not a fast poster.

On's & Off's | Request Thread | A & A

Buffy the Vampire Slayer CYOA |
Eternal Nights (VtM) Interest Check  | Buffy: After the End Interest Check

Sumara

Definitely very cool!  Though another thing is most of the Star Wars rps I've seen use the FFG system.  Honestly, I'm not a big fan of systems in general for forums.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed playing the FFG with my friends but I just think the more you have to rely on your character sheets and dice rolls the less freedom you have. 

Another thing is making a character.  It already takes a lot to create a Star Wars character if you want to get fancier than "Smuggler on Tatooine" or "Jedi Knight."  At least it is for me, I'm not the most familiar with the universe and I definitely have to look a lot of stuff up.  Add to that having to create an entire character sheet and cross-reference stuff in the rule book and it could take some time just to have everything ready to start instead of being able to jump in shortly after finding a group.

That's just my opinion, I like more freeform games.
On/Off Scroll

Due to life right now, I'm not able to rp atm.  My recent illness has caused all kinds of problems and I need to spend time correcting them.  I hope to be back soon!

SithLordOfSnark

Quote from: Sumara on December 23, 2017, 07:50:51 AM
Definitely very cool!  Though another thing is most of the Star Wars rps I've seen use the FFG system.  Honestly, I'm not a big fan of systems in general for forums.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed playing the FFG with my friends but I just think the more you have to rely on your character sheets and dice rolls the less freedom you have. 

Another thing is making a character.  It already takes a lot to create a Star Wars character if you want to get fancier than "Smuggler on Tatooine" or "Jedi Knight."  At least it is for me, I'm not the most familiar with the universe and I definitely have to look a lot of stuff up.  Add to that having to create an entire character sheet and cross-reference stuff in the rule book and it could take some time just to have everything ready to start instead of being able to jump in shortly after finding a group.

That's just my opinion, I like more freeform games.

I want freeform anyway. Star Wars is a system I've never understood, so I wouldn't join a system game in that universe.
Always looking for roleplays, just keep in mind that I' m not a fast poster.

On's & Off's | Request Thread | A & A

Buffy the Vampire Slayer CYOA |
Eternal Nights (VtM) Interest Check  | Buffy: After the End Interest Check

Sumara

Quote from: SithLordOfSnark on December 23, 2017, 11:38:52 AM
I want freeform anyway. Star Wars is a system I've never understood, so I wouldn't join a system game in that universe.

Fantasy Flight likes to make cooky systems.  Seriously, they have a different dice set for each of their games!  It's a great system, but one that just takes a lot of time to set up and for anyone who isn't really experienced with Star Wars, it can be a bit of a hassle.  Also their dice rolling mechanics takes a bit to get used to.
On/Off Scroll

HairyHeretic

I'd say my favorite era is the classic Rebellion era of the original trilogy, with The Old Republic second.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

National Acrobat

I love me some SW. I prefer the Rebellion and Post Rebellion Era, but love the Clone Wars too.

Muse

My favorite is a time period in the Legends time line called the Legacy Erra.  I'm not really into freeform so I didn't cast a vote. 

I figured I would mention that there's an older RPG for star wars called Saga Editon.  It's quite a bit easier, and based on the same core mechanic as Dungeons and Dragons. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Batman4560

Looks like some folks are looking for a starwars game then.

Rockwolf66

I'm actually interested.

I've loved Star Wars as a kid and I have played both the D6 version and the WOTC version.

I have a Female Bounty Hunter named Barris Jackara who I would be interested in tossing into a game.

Sumara

Well that's very cool!  It'd pretty much be up to figuring out how to play it out and who would DM.  I'm not overly familiar with a lot of the lore, just the stuff I've randomly read on Wookiepedia and I'm more familiar with some of the things of Legends that is no longer considered canon.  Looks like enough people aren't really into systems to play freeform though I think even a very basic custom system might be good, nothing that overly controls anything, idk, I wasn't looking to be a DM for this kind of game.
On/Off Scroll

HairyHeretic

I think you're probably better having some plot to start off with, rather than going pure sandbox, particularly with whatever mix of characters end up in the group. The d20 systems take a little setting up, but they're not that complex to actually play. With a GM who knows the rules, players unfamiliar with the rules aren't that big of an issue. I only played the new FFG one once, but it might be a bit trickier for a non system gamer to get their head around.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

National Acrobat

I've only ever played the original Wizards D20 system. I have the FFG books, but my RL group sticks to d20/Pathfinder type rules, and we tried to get into the FFG system, but for some of us the difference in the rules and dice was just not worth learning the new system. The books are beautiful and well done though, and I've used some of the source material for our d20 SW games.

Muse

Sumara if I put something new together using the old saga system would you be interested?  I'd help with the mechanics of course.
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Sumara

Potentially if the system is simple enough.  I've played the FFG system and I like it, but it's not a system I'm looking to play at the moment.  Do you have a link to the rules and character sheets so I can take a quick look?
On/Off Scroll

HairyHeretic

Saga is pretty much a D&D offshoot. If you know the d20 systems, you should be good with Saga.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Sumara

Oh that's convenient!  Though I have to ask which edition of DnD?  Because honestly, I don't like Pathfinder so I'm assuming I wouldn't like 3.5.  I've played Advanced and 5.0.  Haven't played 4.0 but I tried the character creation system and I couldn't get into it.
On/Off Scroll

HairyHeretic

I'm going to say a modified version of 3.5, though in all honesty it's been a long time since I played it. There are some differences between it and regular D&D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Roleplaying_Game_%28Wizards_of_the_Coast%29

Some differences are listed in that article. If you google Star Wars Saga Edition you'll probably turn up more useful info :) However, since it's headed towards 3am here, I shall be turning in :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Sumara

Okay thanks for the heads up!  I'll take a look into it.  You have a good night!
On/Off Scroll

Muse

Ooh.  :)  This is getting interesting. 

My two longest running Star Wars games here suffered some death when Tagan was away for a few months.  Maybe I'll let my Winter's Heart plot slide, start up the other withouth her 'til she gets back, and start something knew.  :) 

Sumara

Well I'm definitely interested in a Star Wars group adventure for sure.
On/Off Scroll

Muse

Am I reading correctly that the Knights of the Old Republic era has the most interest right now? 

Sumara

Well that choice is pretty broad.  In general, I'd say it encompasses the Pre-quells and Old Republic era canonically.  I'm not sure if there are any other times that are popular from before the original trilogy era.
On/Off Scroll

Muse

*peeks* 

Anyone else interested?