Life In The Ludus(In Need of Gladiators, Gladiator Trainees, & a Lanista's Wife)

Started by Urbanzorro, January 12, 2015, 12:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urbanzorro

I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Uebelator

Cool, thank you!
If anyone would like to build some backstory with Annika (she has been in  the Flavius´ service for quite some time now), please tell me and Id be happy to discuss that with you.

RubySlippers

If I play one of the younger daughters could my character have a career of some sort, I'm thinking an honorable role like a scholar of some sort Hypatia of Alexandria she was Greek therefore a citizen of Rome. And would be more interesting than "a handsome woman waiting to be married". She could even marry above her station a wife to a widowed man of authority might want a wife able to aid them in his affairs and who has more going for her than looks. Likely would be the youngest daughter the one with the keen mind but not as pretty, so works with what she has.

Is not going to be a radical however she will support the ideals of Rome, she might have issues with women being subordinate to men as much as they are, but be modest in her life not wasting money or being unseemly favoring a good scroll of philosophy over a gemmed necklace.

Possible roles could be teacher to a Patrician families children wanting a Roman and she is likely going to be considered more than worthy which could bring honor to her family that way and be out there as a prospect for marriage, not being pretty although not unpretty she needs to show her other virtues.

Urbanzorro

Sounds like an interesting concept, I could see my character allowing his youngest daughter to have a small job with him viewing it as a tool to help secure a husband rather than anything else. Especially since her dowery would be the smallest after her sisters were to be married.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

RubySlippers

Not a job she would have a vocation being a scholar, her job would be secondary, on the other hand Roman women were often well educated for women of the period she would have taking a liking to it more than others. And women did have professions among the Romans of standing if it was considered a proper one, teaching was one that was although not men but children and youths.

One thing might be an issue her spending money on scrolls and sacrifices to the gods for her family, being pious, but its hardly a vice likely she will spend less than her sisters overall.

But she likely would be the daughter least likely to be a headache for her father. She might want her own slave but would likely pay for her property, a woman slave able to tend to her needs since she has a profession.

Urbanzorro

Go ahead and post her up, I'm sure we can work her in.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Deamonbane

You guys still accepting gladiator characters? I was thinking a recent acquisition, perhaps even the house champion of another ludus who doesn't realize that if he wants to earn that elevated station once more he has to earn it all over again?
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Urbanzorro

Yes, there is still plenty of room for gladiator characters :)

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

The Dark Raven

Artorius Flavius Balbus (“the Stutterer”)
by Daylily

Role: Younger son of Lucius Flavius
Gladiator Type: N/A
Orientation: Heterosexual
Appearance Details: A thin scar across his chin from a childhood accident.  A slashing scar that cuts from under his left armpit and over his ribs and abdomen, one across his right bicep from his days in Britain in the service of Rome.

Personality: Artorius is a quiet, thoughtful man, partly of natural inclination and partly of habit.  Known for a pronounced stutter as a child, he was tormented by his older brother for it rather constantly.  Studious and long-suffering, he took the teasing in near silence, giving the habit of soft-spokenness as an adult.  Instead of the lascivious pursuits of his brother, he prefers academic and martial pursuits.  He tends to be a kind, gentle soul and is (quite likely) over-protective of his sisters.  An honorable, loyal man, he holds family and home above all, though there are times it seems his heart is far away.

Bio: Born early in his father’s service abroad to Rome, Artorius learned quickly to stay out of the way of his older brother, Commodus.  Teased mercilessly for his speech impediments, he found solace in the fighting of the gladiators that seemed to mesmerize him, his tireless mind working to devise strategies as he watched, as if the men were simply pawns on a chessboard.  Once he was old enough, after his father’s return, he began learning how to fight under the tutelage of Conall.  Joined more frequently by his younger sister, Alcmene, among the wolves that Conall trained, he picked up archery and horse training as well as the sword training he craved.  Less time spent within the sphere of his brother, the better, he supposed.

At the age of fifteen, he petitioned his father to find a place in the legions for him to serve--better to serve Rome than to live his life idle as his brother did--and insisted on true service, learning the ranks instead of demanding a command.  One could not lead men if one did not understand what men do, after all.  His service took him from Ostia to the far-flung barbarian lands of the Britons.  Serving with II Augusta, he rose in the ranks to serve in great capacity of his commanders with his quick mind and thirst for knowledge.  His commander, seeing his potential for command, took him aside to mentor him and took careful pains to explain the detriment of his silence.  Finding the fault to be physical instead of mental, the man increasingly leaned on Artorius to give verbal orders to the men, training him out of the terror of public speaking and the impediment that his brother had teased him of in their childhood.

After nearly a decade away, he has returned a changed man.  A direct man with a commanding voice in place of the one that once held him back.  One in charge of his life and his futures, determined to do his duty to family and home, despite the sadness of leaving the wilds.  He hopes to rekindle friendships and family connections once back in Ostia.

Character's Ons: Artorius is the romantic type for the most part, though he has found his wilder pursuits have opened a darker aspect to his sexuality, one he rarely acknowledges.
Character's Offs: Excrement of any type, death, vore, does not participate in m/m.
Player's Ons: My O/O
Player's Offs: See above link.

Artorius

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Urbanzorro

@Daylily: Approved! :)

Looks like Lucius has raised quite the interesting group of children

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

The Dark Raven

Merci!

Also, thanks to Curvy and Aiden for pestering me.

I am open for plots (just PM me), and I write at a relaxed pace due to work constraints (7 on, 7 off).  If you need a quick reply, please let me know so I can organize my posting followups accordingly.  I tend to reply to the oldest first.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

GnothiSeauton

If anyone would like to work out some backstory or shared history, feel free to PM me!
If I can't have you, my love...  I'll destroy you
~World Building Workshop ~ Current Ideas and Requests  ~
~ Preferences ~ Status  ~ Nightmares and Inspirations~
~Gnothi's Stories Without Homes~
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

Aiden

xPeachyPuff

If anyone would like to plot with MC as well, feel free. I'll be sending some PM's around myself a bit later (tonight, hopefully.)

- Rainbow ♥

MasterOfMyFate

Leviticus
by Player Name Here MasterofMyFate
Role: Gladiator Trainee
Gladiator Type: Cestus
Orientation: Heterosexual
Appearance Details: Multiple scars across his back in a diagonal fashion, a few scars across his chest in the same fashion.
Personality: Leviticus isn't known for being a conservator. Being a slave most of his life, his only companions he has ever known was the slaves around him and his two fists. Leviticus remains loyal to whoever purchases him; No choice should he want to continue living. During combat, Leviticus is known for leaving his instincts to guide him to victory.
Bio: Leviticus was a farmers boy at a young age. Raised right with a good sense of morality, Leviticus had never done anything wrong in his life, yet the Gods blessed him with the destruction of his home, the death of his family, and he being sold to slavery. From child to man, Leviticus was molded into a fighter for small time. He was disobedient at first. Yet numerous punishments have broken him into the life of slavery. Leviticus had been fighting since he was a child. From having to fight with other child slaves to growing up into a warrior, Leviticus has built a liking to using only his fists. As of recent, Leviticus had seemed to impress the right people enough to be purchased and brought to Ostia Antica to participate in true Gladiator combat.
Character's Ons: He does not know of the company of women
Character's Offs: M/M
Player's Ons: Dominant and Submissive roles, Open minded
Player's Offs: Scat, Gore
Stats

Health:4
Attack:7
Defense:3
Agility:6
Accuracy:5
"Arrows through your heart."
Master ON/OFF

CurvyKitten

Ruby hun, Atalanta isn't the youngest of the daughters as my Alcemne is a year younger then she is already.

And I have a question, wouldn't some of the papers/works she has written up get her looked down upon, shunned, or even laughed at by a very male dominated slave owning society?

RubySlippers

She is not opposed to slavery or the traditional role of women but education is one of the noble virtues and for Roman women who tend to work under a husband in aiding them a good mind is of great value if tempered by their role as a mother first. As for slavery she just points out every slave rebellion its the foreign male warriors that often the issue as Gladiators they may have value but stick them on a plantation under harsh conditions and they are good leaders its asking for trouble. Why bother when such slaves can be kept in colonies outside the peninsula and native born slaves bred to be passive with good treatment a reward and stern punishments but Gladiators and artists or those with learning could be of value to Romans the special types.

She never goes against superior Roman Society over barbarians, Greeks were Roman by birth but rather building along the lines of Roman virtues and bettering society, a massive slave rebellion could pose a mortal threat if a Hannibal or Alexander the Great type rises as a leader and this in the center of Roman power. Its a vital institution just needs to be nurtured for example if a slave is a Jew why not let them visit a local Jewish leaders family for Passover if they are good, and loyal, on the other hand bad slaves deserve to be openly punished. She also opposes abusing slaves without cause its unseemly and risks damaging valued property.

The Dark Raven

Quote from: RubySlippers on January 13, 2015, 07:08:07 PM
She is not opposed to slavery or the traditional role of women but education is one of the noble virtues and for Roman women who tend to work under a husband in aiding them a good mind is of great value if tempered by their role as a mother first. As for slavery she just points out every slave rebellion its the foreign male warriors that often the issue as Gladiators they may have value but stick them on a plantation under harsh conditions and they are good leaders its asking for trouble. Why bother when such slaves can be kept in colonies outside the peninsula and native born slaves bred to be passive with good treatment a reward and stern punishments but Gladiators and artists or those with learning could be of value to Romans the special types.

She never goes against superior Roman Society over barbarians, Greeks were Roman by birth but rather building along the lines of Roman virtues and bettering society, a massive slave rebellion could pose a mortal threat if a Hannibal or Alexander the Great type rises as a leader and this in the center of Roman power. Its a vital institution just needs to be nurtured for example if a slave is a Jew why not let them visit a local Jewish leaders family for Passover if they are good, and loyal, on the other hand bad slaves deserve to be openly punished. She also opposes abusing slaves without cause its unseemly and risks damaging valued property.

Just remember, late Empire (when we are playing) Jews were crucified simply for being Jews.  If she ever espoused that view out loud, no matter who her father was, she'd be shunned.

IrishWolf

I thought the first post said we were playing during the height of the Roman Republic, not the Roman Empire.

CurvyKitten

That is why I am confused, a great deal of her views and actions would bring shame and ridicule upon the family not respect. Not to mention her age for everything your going for doesn't make sense. This is just from what I know of that time period, and my personal opinion as well...so yeah take that as you wish. I'm trying to make sense of it so my characters muses are clear on their thoughts towards your character.

The Dark Raven

Quote from: IrishWolf on January 13, 2015, 07:22:53 PM
I thought the first post said we were playing during the height of the Roman Republic, not the Roman Empire.

I misread that.  If it's Republic, it's earlier, and the Jews weren't on the radar as much.

Aiden

After serving as champion and earning his freedom, he left at the age of 32 only to return three years later (35)

Hey guys, I am using this to clarify some things with the game's timeline, since Conall was a gladiator and Champion for a very long time.

He returned four years prior to the start of the game.Conall is a freeman but still works for the Flavius family and helping the former Doctore (old, aging and unfit for the task). When the man died, about a year before game start he took over. Off course the house has fallen in stance/influence for X reasons so Conall has to find a way to make all the current gladiators worthy of a high card event, even the current champ.

He has his work cut out for him.

The Dark Raven

Artorius has a few secrets that I'm still working on weaving into his play, but that will come later.

Urbanzorro

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Urbanzorro

Here is our updated role list. ;D

Pater Familias: Urbanzorro as Lucius Flavius
Wife: The wife of Lucius Flavius, and most powerful woman of the house.
Eldest Son: KurganofPrussia as Commodus Flavius
Son: Daylily as Artorius Flavius Balbus (“the Stutterer”)
Eldest Daughter: Barbara Gordon as Livia
Daughter: CurvyKitten as Alcmene
Daughter:One of Lucius's younger daughters
Head House Slave: Foxy Oni as Illyria
House Slave: xSnorkleRainbow as Laelia
House Slave: CurvyKitten as Carmina
House Slave :GnothiSeauton as Octavia
Doctore: Aiden as Conall "The Wolf" The Gaul
House Champion (Gladiator) IrishWolf as Conchar
Gladiator:Uebelator as Annika Sigurdsdottir
Gladiator: A fully trained gladiator of the house Flavius, these warriors have completed their training, earned the mark of the gladiator, and now serve the family in the arena. (may be male or female)
Gladiator: A fully trained gladiator of the house Flavius, these warriors have completed their training, earned the mark of the gladiator, and now serve the family in the arena. (may be male or female)
Gladiator Trainee KurganofPrussia as Ayyur Ziri
Gladiator Trainee MasterOfMyFate as Leviticus
Gladiator Trainee An as of yet untrained gladiator to be. Whether they succeed or fail in their training remains to be seen (may be male or female)

As you can see, at this point the only roles we are still missing are that of the wife, a third daughter, a second and third gladiator , and a third gladiator trainee. We've filled up pretty nicely, and as such I'll probably be looking to start things off tomorrow, given that we have a fuller cast of house slaves/family/fully trained gladiators then I expected when I listed what roles I'd considered needed for game start.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.