News:

Main Menu

E3 game trailers/demos

Started by Skynet, June 12, 2013, 01:17:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obsidian Isolabella

The trailer for Final Fantasy 15 was surprisingly good to me as well. I'm sometimes iffy about playing Final Fantasy games since I haven't ended up enjoying a good majority of them, but that one looks pretty good so far.

Though, I have to admit, I'm SUPER psyched about KH3:
Kingdom Hearts 3 'E3 2013 Debut Trailer' TRUE-HD QUALITY E3M13

SinXAzgard21

Ps4 gets my money this weekend.  I'm already making a list of games that I'm buying first day and others I'm waiting on.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Koren

Mirror's Edge 2 Trailer

Mirrors Edge 2

SO HAPPY! Im so very psyched about this game to the extreme.

inFAMOUS Second Son - E3 Trailer (PS4) | E3 2013

What makes me happiest with this is that the character actually looks interesting and to have some life in him

And of course... the game that looks to simultaneously make me live in hope and cringe in concern

Dying Light "Run Boy Run" Trailer

This game looks so good from what ive read about it, but this developer has let me down in the past. the fact the trailer is very mechanics focused gives me hope though

Boxy

【RED BAND】『MGSV THE PHANTOM PAIN』E3 2013 Trailer

Pretty excited for this, and glad they've kept it on current gen consoles as well because I'm not going to give Microsoft one cent for their new piece of ****, and I'm not enough of a Sony fan to want to pick up a brand new PS4 for just one game.  So yeah, getting this on the 360.  Glad to be getting a sequel to 3 and Peace Walker, my two favorite games in the MGS series, and glad to hear about all of the changes they're making to the gameplay.  I'm not often fond of gore like this, but generally I think going into more taboo themes will be for the better as far as story telling goes.  People complain about the change in Snake's voice actor a lot, but from what I heard I honestly think the new guy will be better and more believable.

Killer is Dead 'E3 2013 Trailer' TRUE-HD QUALITY E3M13

Probably a bit lesser known but I'm hoping Suda and Grasshopper have become more popular by now.  To be honest, while I had fun with both Shadows of the Damned and Lollipop Chainsaw, they were a bit disappointing when compared to both Killer7 and the No More Heroes games.  SotD did have good atmosphere and some serious, but not quite enough for me and the game was pretty buggy.  Lollipop Chainsaw was a fun hack n slash game, a bit different from NMH but still similar at the core, and was good for simply being a silly game, but I'd prefer Suda when he's got more serious storytelling in his games.  Both suffered from being significantly shorter than the others, which were already a bit short to begin with.

I do have hope for this game.  SotD seemed to have some references to Killer7 before it was released, which really made me think it was going to be a spiritual successor, but this is without a shadow of a doubt the true successor here.  Much more artistic and abstract, which put Killer7 at the top of my list.  That and there seem to be more connections to it as well...it almost seems as if Damon is an older version of Dan(is he even voiced by the same guy?  He sounds really familiar, anyway), and Brian would be in a similar role to Garcian...of course when it comes to my interpretation of Killer7, Harman and Kun Lan were only symbols of Garcian's morality and he was actually the real "leader" of the Killer7, but everyone else has a different take on it so that has to be taken into account, too.

Then you have stuff like the moon, and the dark side of the moon supposedly being where some of these criminals hide out in.  The moon was certainly significant in Killer7, but was not an actual part of the plot.  Of course, there was an interview Suda had where he claimed he got the inspiration for this game from an old Japanese tv show where the characters were normal by day, and assassins by night, so I guess that's a pretty big part of it.  I wonder if this stuff about every human having cyborg parts is also supposed to symbolize duality.

It doesn't all seem to be serious, though - there was a "Mondo girls" trailer a while ago that seemed as if it was almost stripped directly from No More Heroes.  And the actual gameplay seems more similar to it than Lollipop Chainsaw was.  Not that that is bad at all, really, though I guess I was one of the few who liked Killer7's gameplay a lot.  Either way I'm still very excited for it.

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Slywyn

ohmydeargodyesstarwarsbattlefrontiscomingback
What Makes A Shark Tick ( o/o's )

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

Caeli

ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Shjade

Quote from: Koren on June 12, 2013, 07:17:21 AM
And of course... the game that looks to simultaneously make me live in hope and cringe in concern

Dying Light "Run Boy Run" Trailer

This game looks so good from what ive read about it, but this developer has let me down in the past. the fact the trailer is very mechanics focused gives me hope though

...not sure what you mean. The trailer is very (and by very I mean completely) cinematic from what I see - no mechanics in it whatsoever in terms of how it will actually play. Calling that trailer mechanics-focused is like calling the intro movie to Left 4 Dead mechanics-focused: they might show things similar to what you'll want to do in the game, but they don't show them the way they are in the game.

Until you see actual gameplay, a trailer is meaningless.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Shjade

Cinematic trailers for movies are okay (if often inaccurate) since movies are cinematic.

Cinematic trailers for games are useless since cinematics convey nothing about gameplay.
◕/◕'s

SinXAzgard21

A lot of the trailers you see are the same as in game footage or built with the same engine.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Shjade

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on June 12, 2013, 03:27:56 PM
A lot of the trailers you see are the same as in game footage or built with the same engine.

A cinematic is a cinematic. It doesn't really matter what engine is used to build it if it's not how you play the game.

The Mirror's Edge 2 trailer up there, for instance, at least has what looks like some gameplay footage in there between the tattooing shots. Hard to be sure that that's not just pre-rendered whatever, but it's something. The Dying Light thing was purely non-gameplay presentation, regardless of whether or not that's the engine used in actual gameplay.
◕/◕'s

Koren

Quote from: Shjade on June 12, 2013, 01:09:06 PM
...not sure what you mean. The trailer is very (and by very I mean completely) cinematic from what I see - no mechanics in it whatsoever in terms of how it will actually play. Calling that trailer mechanics-focused is like calling the intro movie to Left 4 Dead mechanics-focused: they might show things similar to what you'll want to do in the game, but they don't show them the way they are in the game.

Until you see actual gameplay, a trailer is meaningless.

While that trailer isn't actual game play in engine, it is mechanics focused as its showing the mechanics that have already been said to be used in the game through interviews and through the demo, or demo footage, one of them, that IGN got to see.
AI that changes in a day night cycle, Free-running based movement, customizable weapons, the fact that humans are dangers as well, objective such as gathering supplies etc
Even if it isnt running in engine, with actual game play and a person at the controls, its at least showing what the player will be able to do, if not the exact method they use to do it

Take something like the Dead Island trailer, or the first Assassins Creed cinematic trailer, while they were rendered in the same way as the above trailer, they showed NOTHING of the game play or the mechanics that would be in use. That is when a cinematic trailer is more useless, because the point of them is to stir hype and to show off a narrative focus, which narrative really isn't worth mush if your mechanics are broken.

The above trailer for Dying Light gives a hint to the game play if it doesn't actually show it which is more then a lot of trailers do these days

Shjade

Take the trailer for Colonial Marines which, though it looked almost identical to what it was claimed the gameplay would be and how the game would look, was entirely cinematic and proved to be far more appealing than the actual game that followed.

Cinematics about gameplay != gameplay.
◕/◕'s

Koren

Yes I'm well aware that just because a trailer shows something doesn't mean its true

And honestly Alien Colonial Marines was by far the exception, there's a reason there is a class action lawsuit happening because of the lies around that game

I'm not saying that the trailer will show that the GAMEPLAY will be good, but it shows interesting MECHANICS within the game which is what I'm excited about

And again, better a trailer that shows mechanics, just mechanics as I'm not talking about gameplay, then one that shows nothing except narrative.

Chris Brady

Giantbomb had Cliff Bleszinski and Jonathon Blow on their after E3 pod cast/livestream last night, and one thing that we found out was that at least Epic while Cliff was there actually made code for E3 specifically.  Code and game specifically for that show, but often never used it for anything else.

Bioshock Infinite did the same thing, there are several scenes in the earlier demo that were never used in the game.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
The big one was the Horse scene with Elizabeth trying to revive a dying horse.

This is a common practice for the big boy developers now.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming